LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ladybugg
Stats: 206/203/140 - 5'2" 47yrs
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: March 2014
Breakfast ideas

I'm just starting back on LC this week after many years and I'm having trouble with breakfasts. I'm not a big egg person, I feel like I'm forcing them down and I get bloated. I used to eat steel cut oats every day and now I can't.

I've been eating a grapefruit in morning so far and eggs when I can stomach them. What else can I eat for breakfast?
Ladybugg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
There's lots of posts with ideas on this, but plenty chose non-traditional breakfasts. A piece of leftover chicken, or turkey spread with cream cheese and rolled around a pickle spear. That sort of thing! I had a friend from Japan who started every morning with a small salad and cup of miso soup. Really, you can eat anything for breakfast!
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I've been making lightly sweetened (with xylitol) egg custard some mornings. I make it in my electric pressure cooker. It's a really nice way to start the day. I use coconut milk instead of milk/cream, and sprinkle on some cinnamon.

Grapefruits are probably higher in carbs than you need on low carb. You should have protein and fat, start the day with as few carbs as possible. You could wait to eat later in the morning--call it "intermittent fasting"
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
It depends upon your tastes. I love a good breakfast of bacon and eggs, but seldom have time to prepare it in the morning. I usually dash out the door after enjoying a cup of "bulletproof coffee" while getting ready for work. I put more stuff in my coffee than most people (vanilla protein powder, butter, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and HWC), but it makes it pretty yummy. And it holds me all morning. Sometimes I'll have a piece of cheese and some nuts. Leftovers are good as well. If you're really into oatmeal, you can make a chia fauxtmeal (see DJFoodie). One minute muffins are pretty awesome as well--and incredibly filling! Depending on your carb tolerance, some people eat full-fat Greek yogurt.

Just think outside the "breakfast box". The options are limitless.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I never eat eggs for breakfast, but I don't usually eat 'breakfast food' either. I have tuna salad or a burger--high protein always.

If you want something 'lighter' in the morning, you might consider yoghurt or some type of 'smoothie.'

I'm not sure why you consider grapefruit suitable for a low-carb eating plan, especially in the beginning. Some people are able to include fruit (I'm not one of them), but that's usually when they are at goal or very close to it.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I see your plan is Paleo. Is fruit allowed? I don't know that plan well.

breakfast can be literally ANY food you want it to be.

You do not have to do traditional foods like RoseofSharon mentioned.

You eat what you love to eat for breakfast. Don't be forcing eggs down ya if you don't like them

I eat what I want, when I want. breakfast, lunch and dinner 'traditional' foods doesn't mean anything to me. You eat what you like and is on that Paleo plan! That should help you alot to adjust.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I highly recommend bullet proof coffee. If you google it as a 'how to' you will come up with the 'recipe'. The problem for you, is you likely are not using dairy (paleo) so you would have to leave out the cream or use coconut milk maybe.

I often get up and have a bpc (bullet proof coffee) and don't eat until 7 hours later and on the days that I am intermittent fasting, I will have a 2nd bpc and just have dinner.

I guess I am saying that your 'breakfast food' doesn't necessarily have to be protein but can be just fat and that has a # of advantages.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/272/235
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan 2014
Why does breakfast have to be breakfast with the foods you traditionally associate with breakfast? Does it matter? Eat what you like.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
instead of bacon and eggs, have bacon and bacon! that's what I do. I have sadly developed an egg intolerance. sausage is good too, or on weekdays I usually don't have time to cook so I do atkins shakes.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
great low carb bread company. PERIOD> bagels, toast, whatever you want. Extremely high fiber, extremely low carb, mostly delicious.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I just diced the greens in the fridge, and fried them in lard with bacon. I'll also have a cup of bullet proof tea.
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote