Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Anyone else notice this about protein?

Ok so over the past year or so, I've been experimenting with my diet, varying the carbs I eat to see what effect that has on my body, satiety and energy levels. Generally, the fewer carbs I eat, the better I feel.

Then I decided on a new experiment because my body seems to be the most carb-sensitive in the mornings. I have been eating proteins and fats with zero or close to zero carbs in the mornings. A full breakfast meal composed of meats and fats will provide me with very stable energy levels for up to 9 hours before I get hungry again. Normally I get hungry every 5 hours, but eating this way I've stayed full so much longer.

And I didn't even add any flax. And no, the meals were not full of beans. I would eat stuff like scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon, or a large beef burger, or a few hot dogs, etc.

I have gone from needing to eat 3 times a day to needing to eat 2 times a day by including a good portion of protein with each meal. And when I do get hungry, it's a far more comfortable hungry, not painful like before.

I know a lot of you are probably going "duh, what rock were you hiding under," but I'm just glad I figured this out.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Are you sure it's the protein? Fat is what satiates us, and keeps us feeling fuller longer. It's great that you figured that out. I just read that in Tick and Treat, that carbs are not essential. Really interesting.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Fat may be satiating for some, but for me it's protein. I have eaten a high-protein breakfast for years, and it's my major meal of the day. It's what works for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:51 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I think it is the combo of fat and protein for me. Fattier meats are much more filling than lean ones.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I'd also say it's a combo.

Both protein and fat are satiating but putting them together makes them even more so, like they enhance each other.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
BAB really holds me also. When I do eat a BAB then I know my day is hunger controlled.
fat or protein? probably a combo
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Well I'm still learning about all of this. I think that the quality of the food has a lot to do with it. For example, if I eat my protein in the form of whey or casein or soy, that just won't do it for me and I get hungry shortly thereafter. So I think those sources of protein are very poor or just very poorly metabolized (not very bio-available).

Also, I've noticed that some highly processed forms of meat such as hot dogs and sausages won't keep me full as long. I was assuming it was because they had more fat than protein in them, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

But I do know this: when I eat a good portion of eggs+bacon in the mornings, that keeps me full for a long time and my energy levels are stable for many hours. When I get hungry again, my energy level doesn't dip.

I do know this for sure though: if I don't eat protein in my first meal of the day, even if I eat it at lunch, it will be too late, and my energy levels go up and down all day.

Last edited by Seeking; 03-06-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I think it is the combo of fat and protein for me. Fattier meats are much more filling than lean ones.
Not for me. 5 ounces of chicken thigh meat with skin is not the last bit more filling or satisfying than the same portion of chicken breast. A burger made from higher fat ground beef doesn't fill me up more than the same size burger made with 93%. And I have noticed that using more butter or less butter to cook my eggs makes no difference in terms of satisfaction. All of these comparisons might have a degree of difference to taste and texture, but not to hunger or satisfaction, for me. If I am in the mood for dark-meat chicken with skin or using more butter in my eggs, it's a taste thing and nothing more than that.

Quote:
I have gone from needing to eat 3 times a day to needing to eat 2 times a day by including a good portion of protein with each meal. And when I do get hungry, it's a far more comfortable hungry, not painful like before.

I eat two meals a day too, and I agree with you about the more comfortable feeling of hunger.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I think we're all different.

I know from experience I don't want to see how long I can go w/o eating. I do my best to eat regular meals that are evenly spaced and approximately 4-5 hours apart. Life doesn't always allow that but I get as close as I can.

That said, I get plenty of healthy fat in my diet but I definitely need my protein to fill me up. Getting too much fat seems to result in my feeling more hungry (even BPC) rather than satisfied. I naturally end up with about 65% fat & 30% protein. With calories the same, up around 80% fat is where I find myself feeling like I am starving.

I prefer lean meats to higher fat ones in most cases. When it comes to poultry I want the white meat only. I'll eat the dark meat if I have to but I don't really want it. lol...
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think you are describing ketosis.

I eat 2 and some days, 1 meal per day but my coffee with coconut oil is what what provides energy and satiety for me.

Some people find that too much protein (particularly lean) can backfire. It is particularly true of whey protein (as previously mentioned). This is because it is insulinogenic and can make a person hungry. I have tried this and had this result time and time again.

I was also a fan of the BAB (big ass breakfast) which required a minimum of 30g of protein (according to Dr. Rosedale) and this had me hungry within just a couple of hours. Again, an issue with too much protein I believe.

However, being in a good state of ketosis and not having the need to eat in the morning (bpc), my energy levels are fabulous and I never ever have that driving hunger that once was the norm in my former carb eating days. This is ketosis!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 03-07-2014 at 05:33 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Not for me. 5 ounces of chicken thigh meat with skin is not the last bit more filling or satisfying than the same portion of chicken breast. A burger made from higher fat ground beef doesn't fill me up more than the same size burger made with 93%. And I have noticed that using more butter or less butter to cook my eggs makes no difference in terms of satisfaction. All of these comparisons might have a degree of difference to taste and texture, but not to hunger or satisfaction, for me. If I am in the mood for dark-meat chicken with skin or using more butter in my eggs, it's a taste thing and nothing more than that.

I eat two meals a day too, and I agree with you about the more comfortable feeling of hunger.
same thing for me - more fat doesn't equal more filling. And, I actually find that roasted chicken or salmon keep me full for longer than steak. And, I don't see a difference from 2 or 4 tbs of evoo in my salad.

What fills me up the most is a combo of protein and vegetables.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote