LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
TOTALLY RANDOM

Hi

I have some random questions and going to throw them out there, even if they sound weird please do not judge.

1- does anyone prefer cold foods versus cooked foods? I seem to have more energy when I dont eat cooked foods? It is interesting.. I like salads but even my chicken, I will cook but like to eat it when it is cold.

2- HCL? Anybody have experience/good or bad with this supplement?

3- nutritional yeast is yummy lately on my salads- anyone else use it?

4- Nu Salt-- low sodium replacement? Anybody use it?

5- I stopped getting the roasted vegetables from my local salad bar because I think they are cooked using canola or veg oil. I seem to bloat big time if I use any other oil besides olive or coc.

Thanks... just exploring this journey and really trying to find out what works/doesnt work.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
Regarding #4 - I use nu-salt because I get low in potassium and get leg cramps at night.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gotcha, casey! Thanks. I think I will try it. I miss salt, but I definitely think I retain it if I have too much and I struggle with it. Sometimes, I find it is a trigger for me to overeat.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
1- does anyone prefer cold foods versus cooked foods? I seem to have more energy when I dont eat cooked foods? It is interesting.. I like salads but even my chicken, I will cook but like to eat it when it is cold.

I like cold foods and warm foods. I LOVE salads, but like warm foods too. I really think it depends on my mood.

4- Nu Salt-- low sodium replacement? Anybody use it?
I use the "Lite Salt" as I have high blood pressure.

5- I stopped getting the roasted vegetables from my local salad bar because I think they are cooked using canola or veg oil. I seem to bloat big time if I use any other oil besides olive or coc.

Not sure about the oil, I know my hubby has inflammation so we only use Olive or Canola to cook with.
Short Goal: By 4/4 214.6# 10# in 30 days (Met 3/19 @211.6#)
6 Month Goal: 164# by 37th Bday (9/25)
End Goal: 149 by Dec 31st!
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi Peace!

1- I love salads, and love cold leftovers. But I'm weird, LOL! I think it does not matter really, it's about what you prefer.

2- I am currently experimenting with HCL because I had gastritis and am trying to get my stomach back up to its normal functioning again. So far, it seems to work.

3- I tend to stay away from yeast, I am trying to keep candida at bay, so yeast would not be great to consume in larger amounts. I do love Marmite though... Hopefully when I'm in maintenance I can have the occasional Oopsie roll with butter and Marmite... MMMMMMM!

4- I use celtic sea salt, the unrefined stuff. It adds lots of minerals as well and has not been chemically treated. For potassium, I take a supplement and I eat avocado regularly.

5- canola and vegetable oils cause inflammation, so it's no wonder that it makes you feel bad.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
1 - I love salads and cold food in the summer! When it's cold outside, though, I prefer warming stews and bakes. Even my winter salads benefit from some freshly cooked, hot bacon crumbled on top.

3 - My MIL swears by nutritional yeast, but she also eats a high-carb, low calorie diet (and is still fat). I've tried and did not particularly like it, and also thought about not promoting candida in my body

4 - I used to use Lo-salt, which was mostly potassium, many years ago, and it worked well. Nowadays I use either French sea salt or Himalayan pink salt, and they work well too!
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I LOVE nutritional yeast, but I'm used to only using it on popcorn and buttered toast, neither of which I eat anymore. I used to make a delicious veggie gravy with it, too. Also off the menu.

I might try it on salad, though, I bet it's good!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi

Wow--- Thanks for the responses everyone! I didnt think nutritional yeast was something to be concerned about with candida. hmm.. I dont have it but I also do not want to get it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my salads.. even in winter-

Yep! The oils might be an issue for me.
Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Good for you for stopping the vegetable a d canola oils!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Salt helps ketosis and it helps your electrolyte balance, not to mention you may need some iodine, too. I'm not sure why you're avoiding salt on low carb?

If you aren't scarfing down packaged foods, there's very little sodium in your diet. There's nothing wrong with using real salt to taste.

I had terrible edema on SAD, completely gone now despite the fact that I use as much salt as I want (I've never been a big salt eater).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Salt helps ketosis and it helps your electrolyte balance, not to mention you may need some iodine, too. I'm not sure why you're avoiding salt on low carb?

If you aren't scarfing down packaged foods, there's very little sodium in your diet. There's nothing wrong with using real salt to taste.

I had terrible edema on SAD, completely gone now despite the fact that I use as much salt as I want (I've never been a big salt eater).
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
Regarding the lite salt or nu salt... For me, I am not avoiding salt but trying to increase potassium versus taking a supplement. Cheese is the biggest culprit for water weight gain for me - probably some level of lactose intolerance, not diagnosed but my weight fluctuates with cheese - and it typically starts cravings and I tend to overeat it.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote