Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Need some diet troubleshooting. What would you do?

So I just started low carb. Like just started as in two days ago, lol. I have never really dieted at all in my life, but have been working on it for the last 6 weeks with somewhat disastrous results. I tend to do really well all day, mostly because I am at work and quickly eat on the run - but then I get home in the evening and totally cave because I am hungry, and because it is my habit to sit and relax and finally enjoy some food after a long day. I certainly have never tried low carb. The only reason I chose this is that I happened to meet a woman at work who had lost a bunch of weight since I last saw her- and she gave low carb eating all the credit. She looks amazing - I want to look like that!! LOL!

So, I started two days ago. So far, I have not had a good low carb day yet. Yesterday I almost had an awesome day, but then I got all angry at my diet. I declined the fresh bagels and muffins at my Mom's group. I drank black coffee even though it is gross (I love coffee with cream and sugar). I ate the 1/2 cup of veggies that I could eat at supper (see below) and nothing else. I felt totally deprived of all my "little good things" in my day. I finally had an evening off work and I wanted to enjoy a night on the couch with popcorn and I couldn't, and then I was all thinking "I work hard and now I can't even enjoy my fave snack and relax??? This sucks!!!" Needless to say, I caved and ate the popcorn. The good thing was it was not very satisfying after all that and I can remember that feeling for next time I have a craving.

The day before, I failed because of work. I work in a job where I have to eat with my clients. The meals are planned ahead, I don't get to choose them, and I have to eat what is on the menu. I also can't adjust the menu much as it is proportioned - so I can't just load up on the meat or veggies. I also am not allowed to bring my own food, unless I am willing to provide it to everyone.

So, I guess my questions are: Can I still enjoy a few small things in my day and have this type of diet work? I realize weight loss won't be as quick as it could be, but my life is so hectic (I work two jobs, most days I am gone for 14 hours at a time, come home at 10pm) that those little things are like my relax, refuel, and recharge moments of the day. I'm thinking things like enjoying some milk and sugar in my coffee (I usually drink 2 cups a day). I can't use artificial sweeteners because I am allergic.

My second question: Any suggestions for what I should do about work? 95% of my time it affects my supper. Do I just not eat, but wait until I am home after 10pm and then have a meal? (But then I am starving and much more likely to cheat) do I eat some of the carbs if that is all there is? (noodle casserole is on the menu at least once a week) I am really in need of suggestions to solve this problem, so any ideas would be very welcome!!
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
First of all, feeling deprived (as you posted) is the death knell to any weight loss program, in my experience.

Secondly, unless you are very carb sensitive (as I am), there's no miracle to low-carb eating for weight loss. If your job requirements and lifestyle make low-carb eating too difficult, you'd be far better off finding a plan that works better for you.

Although I totally believe in my low-carb eating plan, it is one of the most unforgiving ways of eating. Based on your explanation of your job situation, it doesn't seem workable for you. However, if you want to do it, I strongly suggest you read about the science behind it so that you fully understand how it works. It's possible to adapt low-carb eating so that you enjoy its benefits while not following it precisely, but that requires a full understanding of how it operates in the human body so that you can make informed choices.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Good post Leo, I concur.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
First of all, feeling deprived (as you posted) is the death knell to any weight loss program, in my experience.

Secondly, unless you are very carb sensitive (as I am), there's no miracle to low-carb eating for weight loss. If your job requirements and lifestyle make low-carb eating too difficult, you'd be far better off finding a plan that works better for you.

Although I totally believe in my low-carb eating plan, it is one of the most unforgiving ways of eating. Based on your explanation of your job situation, it doesn't seem workable for you. However, if you want to do it, I strongly suggest you read about the science behind it so that you fully understand how it works. It's possible to adapt low-carb eating so that you enjoy its benefits while not following it precisely, but that requires a full understanding of how it operates in the human body so that you can make informed choices.
So basically I am screwed, in your opinion. I tried just doing low calorie and I was crabby and hungry all the time on that. My husband actually asked me to stop, lol. In six weeks I saw no loss at all, in fact a gain. I had hopes that this would actually work.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Good post Leo, I concur.
Okay. So two people who say no chance of it working. Anyone else want to confirm that I should just give up?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Leo is wise.

The best advice that I can provide - start simple, ex. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - you can find this in libraries, used book stores, other online sites for new and used books. Gary Taubes has another great book "Why We Get Fat"

Low carb, while unforgiving, can be creative if you start considering options and look at recipes. You can't look at it as being deprived or you're already at a disadvantage.

Re: eating with clients, I am guessing this might be in a group home or other type of environment where there is a pre-planned meal. While you might not be able to eat the whole dinner, I wonder if you have an option where you can eat before or after discreetly without making a big deal of it and then eat what is on the acceptable list. Similarly, if someone were vegetarian, they would not eat the meat. Or a diabetic would eat a subset.

Re: snacking - You will not be able to regularly eat your fave snack. Two options - find a way of eating that allows it in moderation or look for other LC alternatives. They will never be the same, but they can be delicious, even more fulfilling.

Good luck - the long hours can make this difficult, but there are also many threads on cooking ahead, meals on the run, etc.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/229/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
There really isn't one plan fits all, don't give up. You have some challenges based on your work situation for sure. Could you eat less of what you are given and get away with it ?

I kind of made up my own plan based on "real" food, portion control and moderate carbs. I do around 75 carbs a day and I am losing weight, definitely slower than someone on low carb, and I feel better.
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Reddress, "it" doesn't work, you work it. That's the way it is on Low Carb. Which means educating yourself about how to work it, why it will work when you work it, and experimenting with how to work it.

You don't have to start all whole hog. You don't have to do induction. You can start with say a goal of less than 50 grams of carbs a day. This will give you some latitude from feeling so deprived. As you adjust and find LC foods you enjoy and get into the swing of it, you can slowly back that down. You might not have any big water weight loss from the get-go this way, which is what initial big losses on LC are, but slowly you'll feel your pants get loser, and the scale will go down.

Patience and commitment is paramount, no matter how you choose to lose weight. It takes time. It takes trial and error. You can't really know if LC is for you at this point because you have not made that investment yet.

No one here thinks you should give up on losing weight, and I don't think you should give up on Low Carb after a couple of days. Getting started at anything is the hardest part, and Low Carb in no exception to that rule.

BTW, you don't have to give up cream in your coffee w/low carb, that's low fat thinking.
And you can use any one of several No carb sweeteners and have your coffee just the way you like it. As you "work it" you'll find there's many ways to suit yourself on this woe, and that as you said about the popcorn, you don't miss the carbs as much as you think you will. For some this woe is so helpful and healthful in so many ways, they find
they don't miss the carbs much at all, or only now and then. And it passes.

Good luck to you, keep reading here, and be gentle and patient with yourself.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneO View Post
There really isn't one plan fits all, don't give up. You have some challenges based on your work situation for sure. Could you eat less of what you are given and get away with it ?

I kind of made up my own plan based on "real" food, portion control and moderate carbs. I do around 75 carbs a day and I am losing weight, definitely slower than someone on low carb, and I feel better.
I don't have to eat what I am given at all, I just can't eat more as in leave the rice and take an extra serving of veggies. But I can definitely just eat the veggies and meat. I just can't sit there at the table and eat something completely different.

I will look into eating before or after. If I eat really quickly and do it as my 5 minute break it might work.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I agree with sbarr that a good place to start is by reading the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. It thoroughly explains how the controlled carbohydrate way of eating works and how to follow it to achieve the results you desire.

There are a lot of diets out there, and low carbing is not for everyone. You may just need to do some more research and find one that "fits" you best.

I don't know much about Weight Watchers anymore, but that might be something to look into, as no food is totally off limits. I'm certain that they allow popcorn.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Leo is wise.

The best advice that I can provide - start simple, ex. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - you can find this in libraries, used book stores, other online sites for new and used books. Gary Taubes has another great book "Why We Get Fat"

Low carb, while unforgiving, can be creative if you start considering options and look at recipes. You can't look at it as being deprived or you're already at a disadvantage.

Re: eating with clients, I am guessing this might be in a group home or other type of environment where there is a pre-planned meal. While you might not be able to eat the whole dinner, I wonder if you have an option where you can eat before or after discreetly without making a big deal of it and then eat what is on the acceptable list. Similarly, if someone were vegetarian, they would not eat the meat. Or a diabetic would eat a subset.

Re: snacking - You will not be able to regularly eat your fave snack. Two options - find a way of eating that allows it in moderation or look for other LC alternatives. They will never be the same, but they can be delicious, even more fulfilling.

Good luck - the long hours can make this difficult, but there are also many threads on cooking ahead, meals on the run, etc.
The snacking I don't see as a big deal. I broke down because I felt deprived with my day. But really the snack was not fulfilling so I will remember that. In that instance I think the caving taught me a lesson. however, I just don't want to feel deprived so I make a rash decision again, you know? As for the meals I will look into being able to eat before or after if I take it as my 5 minute break.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
What about mixing the 2 worlds? Do low carb as much as you can and when you have to eat in front of clients watch your portion sizes. I too am a freaking popcorn addict, I generally eat it every day so low carb is killer for me, but I am bound and determined that I am going to kick this weight. I too do a little bit higher carb levels still under 100 per day, but I lost 70# with this way of eating a few years back. I do have to give up my favorite treat but find an alternate low carb treat you love just as much. Works for me. I love string cheese....so that is my 'alternative' treat.
Short Goal: By 4/4 214.6# 10# in 30 days (Met 3/19 @211.6#)
6 Month Goal: 164# by 37th Bday (9/25)
End Goal: 149 by Dec 31st!
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
You can do a less strict version of low carb. It doesn't sound like your job will allow you to remain on Atkins induction, but people do all sorts of other things. For instance, you could do a good protein with veggies most of the time and do your best with work. If it's chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies, skip the mashed potatoes. With lasagna, try to focus on the fillings and get extra salad. You can keep almonds, beef jerky, or cheese sticks in your drawer to snack on before an event that you know is carb heavy. You probably wouldn't be able to eat muffins or bagels on any low carb plan, but some people incorporate a bit of popcorn. I think it's possible.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Reddress, "it" doesn't work, you work it. That's the way it is on Low Carb. Which means educating yourself about how to work it, why it will work when you work it, and experimenting with how to work it.

You don't have to start all whole hog. You don't have to do induction. You can start with say a goal of less than 50 grams of carbs a day. This will give you some latitude from feeling so deprived. As you adjust and find LC foods you enjoy and get into the swing of it, you can slowly back that down. You might not have any big water weight loss from the get-go this way, which is what initial big losses on LC are, but slowly you'll feel your pants get loser, and the scale will go down.

Patience and commitment is paramount, no matter how you choose to lose weight. It takes time. It takes trial and error. You can't really know if LC is for you at this point because you have not made that investment yet.

No one here thinks you should give up on losing weight, and I don't think you should give up on Low Carb after a couple of days. Getting started at anything is the hardest part, and Low Carb in no exception to that rule.

BTW, you don't have to give up cream in your coffee w/low carb, that's low fat thinking.
And you can use any one of several No carb sweeteners and have your coffee just the way you like it. As you "work it" you'll find there's many ways to suit yourself on this woe, and that as you said about the popcorn, you don't miss the carbs as much as you think you will. For some this woe is so helpful and healthful in so many ways, they find
they don't miss the carbs much at all, or only now and then. And it passes.

Good luck to you, keep reading here, and be gentle and patient with yourself.
Thank you! You had a lot of good things in your post. So 50g will still work but more slowly? I don't even think I would use that much, like yesterday I was at 16g by 10pm. That's what I was looking for. I just want to put some
Sugar in my coffee, lol! Unfortunately I can not use artificial sweeteners as I am allergic so it is sugar or nothing.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
I don't have to eat what I am given at all, I just can't eat more as in leave the rice and take an extra serving of veggies. But I can definitely just eat the veggies and meat. I just can't sit there at the table and eat something completely different.

I will look into eating before or after. If I eat really quickly and do it as my 5 minute break it might work.
I think you can make this work. The sugar in your coffee needs to go, though.
You can put cream, coconut oil, or even butter in it. All that added fat that will keep you from hunger. Give up the starches (rice) at lunch. If you are still hungry have some more coffee with some fat added. Can you carry in a boiled egg or other small snacks to stave off hunger? The important thing is to not get so hungry that you eat popcorn at night. Some olives or a small portion of cheese can work.

Read as much as you can about LC and ask more questions if you have them. You can make this work, but it takes some prep and focus. GOod luck!

Last edited by Patience; 03-05-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for all the great posts everyone!!!

I think I was misunderstood, I'm not looking to incorporate bagels and muffins and popcorn, lol, but was just illustrating how I felt I said "no" to myself all day. I'm hoping that some little changes might help that, like a teaspoon of sugar in one cup of coffee a day, or maybe eating 5 servings of cheese instead of 4. Maybe I can have nuts even though I should be in induction. Nothing big, just a few little indulgences like that so I don't feel so deprived. I'm no looking to go on a bakery binge! Lol! I know that won't work with this.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Which artificial sweeteners do you have problems with?

I know many people have sensitivity to Equal/aspertame (this one comes up the ost often), others don't like Splenda - but, there are also some other options like saccharine or stevia.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
I'm no expert on diets of any kind, including low carbing, by any means, but the thing that struck me about your first post is your attitude and thinking.
You've tried (try is a word for failure) to do this (low carbing?) for two days because of how some woman looks, and during which time you became angry at your diet and resentful, felt deprived, and caved in (threw it out the window). (Did you know corn is fed to cows to fatten them up?)

"The day before, I failed because of work. I work in a job where I have to eat with my clients. The meals are planned ahead, I don't get to choose them, and I have to eat what is on the menu. I also can't adjust the menu much as it is proportioned - so I can't just load up on the meat or veggies. I also am not allowed to bring my own food, unless I am willing to provide it to everyone. "
You're blaming your failure on your job. Hmmm.
"If you really want to do something you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
You don't get to choose the food set in front of you, but you can choose what to eat of that. And, by reading these boards and the information suggested in the above posts, you will learn enough to get through those meals and be successful enough to continue at it. IMO. One of the nice things (for me ) in this is after an initial period of gobbling meat and fat for a week or so, things settled down and I am rarely hungry. I do think that is at least partially based on my attitude and hopes, end goal, desire, and expectations,as well as I'm simply not hungry.
You may not be able to take your own food, but you possibly can use various strategies to reduce you need/feeling of hunger, including using "fat bombs" appropriately, AND LETTING THEM WORK. And when you find yourself nOT hungry at those meals, it's okay to simply say, "I'm not really hungry today" or some such. Eat the greens and the meat. Drink the water, not the juice or whatever else.
Take responsibility for what you do, or don't do.

my questions are: Can I still enjoy a few small things in my day and have this type of diet work? I realize weight loss won't be as quick as it could be, but my life is so hectic (I work two jobs, most days I am gone for 14 hours at a time, come home at 10pm) that those little things are like my relax, refuel, and recharge moments of the day. I'm thinking things like enjoying some milk and sugar in my coffee (I usually drink 2 cups a day). I can't use artificial sweeteners because I am allergic.

Many people find that the first two or three days of any new venture are the hardest. With a change in thinking and reading/understanding, it becomes easier. Find out what's allowed on the induction list. Consider adding fat bombs to it, and eliminating sugar. If you need the sweetener, consider using a bit of honey instead of sugar to reduce the bitterness, or, just not drink the coffee or tea.
Many people find an increase of energy after a few weeks of this. Use heavy whipping cream in your coffee, along with coconut oil, and eliminate, really reduce the sweetener, and let it help reduce feelings of hunger. Relax in other ways--change what you are doing, and get different results.
Some people find that even artificial sweeteners cause problems for them.

My second question: Any suggestions for what I should do about work? 95% of my time it affects my supper. Do I just not eat, but wait until I am home after 10pm and then have a meal? (But then I am starving and much more likely to cheat) do I eat some of the carbs if that is all there is? (noodle casserole is on the menu at least once a week) I am really in need of suggestions to solve this problem, so any ideas would be very welcome!!

MY suggestions would include a change of attitude and thinking, read original atkins and follow it for a week or two, use fat bombs at appropriate times and induction foods for meals. Take responsibility, g
ive yourself the time and freedom to allow the changes you want for yourself.
And, as others have said, this may not be the way of eating for you.

Again, I am no expert at this. The above is strictly my opinion. I know my response sounds harsh. ( I must need another dose of fat bomb!)This way of eating is not appropriate for everyone. You must use your best common sense as to what is best for you, and use medical advice when needed. Best wishes.
Ella5

Last edited by ella5; 03-05-2014 at 10:06 AM..
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Okay. So two people who say no chance of it working. Anyone else want to confirm that I should just give up?
That isn't what either of us are saying, and it should be plainly obvious that neither one of us gave up, ourselves

Only you can make this work. You must commit to doing a diet properly, find a plan you can live with, or quit. Those are the options. If you cannot do low carb properly, by all means find a plan you can! But quitting isn't the only option, and low carb and self soothing with food aren't your only answers unless you make them so

I am around food all day here at home with my kids. I bake homemade bread and desserts regularly. Nobody low carbs but me. Temptation and the desire to self soothe with food is a 24/7 temptation and I don't have a workplace or car trip to distract from the ever-present fridge. But what I do have is a choice - every moment - to make decisions that support my health or undermine it. I had to make a decision that whether I felt like it or not, whether it was easy or hard, I'd do what it took to regain my life and health and lose my excess fat.

Oh, and then I had to keep it off.

It's a choice and we all can make it. Low carb works for me not because it is easy, but because it gets results and allows me to live healthfully and out of bondage to food. My body runs better this way. That doesn't mean I don't want want popcorn and icecream when the five other members of my household are snacking on it! But I have a choice whether to give into it or find someone I can eat and still maintain my health and size. So I do. You have that same choice. And it doesn't have to be by low carb, though I certainly believe that works the best and for life.

Your own post laid out the reasons you didn't think you could stick with it. If your mind is already in that frame, some random folks on the Internet are not going to overcome that. This is, at the foremost, a mental endeavor. Your self talk and internal commitment are what will sustain you long beyond any motivation or burst of energy. And when you're several years into it and every day your focus is just keeping the scale still - not doing up and not going down - your internal drive and commitment is ALL that will keep you from diving back into the comfort food and junk because you no longer even have the high of a shrinking body to keep you focused.

If you want to do low carb then do it! Get your head in the game, refuse any excuses, do tons of reading and recipe experimenting and commiserating with us here online and whatever else it takes to get you focused, excited, and fully convinced in your own mind that you will succeed in this. At that point it is just time and daily routine to get you to the goal you've already decided is yours for the taking.

But that first step of focusing your attention and believing you can and will do this no matter what? That's all you

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you! You had a lot of good things in your post. So 50g will still work but more slowly? I don't even think I would use that much, like yesterday I was at 16g by 10pm. That's what I was looking for. I just want to put some
Sugar in my coffee, lol! Unfortunately I can not use artificial sweeteners as I am allergic so it is sugar or nothing.
Have you tried several different Stevias or Erythritol? Those don't generally provoke any GI reaction or headache issues, and I thought I hated Stevia until I tried a different brand and realized I like that one much, much better.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/225/215?
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I think it's very easy to make excuses, and much harder to stick with what you know is the right thing to do. I've only been doing low-carb for a little less than 2 months. I recently had to go out of town for a week for work. I knew I wasn't going to be able to easily make it work on the road. I was planning my failure in my head days before I left for my trip. Know what, I stuck with it. I bought snacks to take with me, pepperoni, cheese sticks, almonds. I ended up eating the pepperoni and cheese as my lunch more than once. I was busy, and it was quick and easy. When I ate in restaurants, I ordered a steak, and asked for the veggie of the day instead of the baked potato. I had a burger, and simply took the bun off and ate it with a knife and fork, and also subbed veggies for the fries. I have felt a little apprehensive about asking restaurants about subbing veggies, or wrapping a burger in lettuce, etc. And you know what, not once has anyone looked at me with a strange look when I've asked. I usually get a "no problem" response. I did not cheat one little bit on my road trip. My hotel had "complimentary breakfast" and to my surprise, they had eggs and sausage or bacon, along with all of the high carb bread-based junk they usually serve. The worst thing I ate, carb-wise, was some yogurt with 8g of net carbs.

I catch myself sometimes thinking about foods I shouldn't eat. Grocery shopping can be tempting. Walking past the bakery is tough for a fat boy! But I've not cheated once in almost two months, except for drinking some Pedialyte and Gatorade when I was puking my guts up a few days ago.

You can do it. You have to WANT to do it. I was a grumpy man for the first week or so that I was on low-carb. I was tired and had no energy for the first few days. But 7 weeks in, having to wear a belt on pants that were snug two months ago, reminds me why I'm doing it and succeeding. I've lost 30 pounds, and need to lose about 25 more. I'm going to make it to my goal...and not make excuses.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 03-05-2014 at 10:29 AM..
TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Reddress!! Well wow. You are a busy woman! Using your friend/co-worker for motivation will only get you so far. Find a copy of Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, maybe a used bookstore. Know why you are doing what you are doing. Knowledge is power.

As for work, do you take a cooler or anything like that? Eggs, hard boiled or deviled are easy. Pepperoni, cheese sticks, portioned out nuts would be okay, jerky is always a good fall back. I use to make a lunchmeat roll ups with whatever kind you like, I used beef, and then spread with cream cheese with chives. Roll them up and yum! Everyone in my old office liked those.

Also, on a day off, cook in advance. Linda Sue has been a life saver for a lot of us. Check out her website. Maria Emmerich also has a ton of great recipes. Check out the recipe help and suggestion board. A lot of great minds over there. But again, read the book. Good luck, and never give up!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella5 View Post
I'm no expert on diets of any kind, including low carbing, by any means, but the thing that struck me about your first post is your attitude and thinking.
You've tried (try is a word for failure) to do this (low carbing?) for two days because of how some woman looks, and during which time you became angry at your diet and resentful, felt deprived, and caved in (threw it out the window). (Did you know corn is fed to cows to fatten them up?)
I wasn't angry and resentful at these two days necessarily. I've been doing low cal for over 6 weeks and have seen no loss, in fact a gain. I saw this person, talked to them and she said it was the best thing ever, that it worked so well for her, no regrets, she explained her rate of loss, etc, and yeah, I thought "I want that!" instead of starving for a weight gain on calorie counting.

And the resentment is my own thinking, for sure. I work two jobs for a total of 60-80 hours a week. Quite honestly, food keeps me going. The idea of rewarding myself with something that is comforting and tastes good at the end of a long day has been my motivation for quite some time. I know I need to find some way to change this as it is a huge diet block for me. It is very hard not to fall into the "I've been working for 14 hours, with 30 minute total breaks, on my feet all day, never sat down, haven't seen my family, didn't even get the chance to go pee until 5pm, and now I can't even have a snack?" defeatist, negative, way of thinking. That's why I asked if there were some leeway, instead of going home to a celery stick. Like, I would find a celery stick with peanut butter much more satisfying, and that would be way easier to handle as a food choice without feeling deprived or like I can't have anything I enjoy.

Quote:
You're blaming your failure on your job. Hmmm.
"If you really want to do something you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
You don't get to choose the food set in front of you, but you can choose what to eat of that...
You may not be able to take your own food, but you possibly can use various strategies to reduce you need/feeling of hunger, including using "fat bombs" appropriately, AND LETTING THEM WORK. And when you find yourself nOT hungry at those meals, it's okay to simply say, "I'm not really hungry today" or some such. Eat the greens and the meat. Drink the water, not the juice or whatever else.
Take responsibility for what you do, or don't do.
Yes. I do blame that first day on my job, its not an excuse, it is a fact. That night, supper was perogies, fried with onions and sour cream. Okay, sure, I could have chosen not to eat at all, and have gone from lunch at 11:45am until I got home at 10pm with no food. So I guess that is my excuse? not going 10 hours with no food? So is that what I should do in the future when faced with a meal like that?

Quote:
Many people find that the first two or three days of any new venture are the hardest. With a change in thinking and reading/understanding, it becomes easier. Find out what's allowed on the induction list. Consider adding fat bombs to it, and eliminating sugar. If you need the sweetener, consider using a bit of honey instead of sugar to reduce the bitterness, or, just not drink the coffee or tea.
Many people find an increase of energy after a few weeks of this. Use heavy whipping cream in your coffee, along with coconut oil, and eliminate, really reduce the sweetener, and let it help reduce feelings of hunger. Relax in other ways--change what you are doing, and get different results.
Some people find that even artificial sweeteners cause problems for them.
I bought some heavy cream for me to use at home, and perhaps I will just have to forgo coffee when I am at work. (I work at a different house most nights, and work at a school during the day. I don't really have anywhere to keep cream fresh) I will attempt to avoid all the sugar since it seems to be the consensus that even one teaspoon of sugar a day will negate all the benefits of the diet.

Quote:
MY suggestions would include a change of attitude and thinking, read original atkins and follow it for a week or two, use fat bombs at appropriate times and induction foods for meals. Take responsibility, g
ive yourself the time and freedom to allow the changes you want for yourself.
And, as others have said, this may not be the way of eating for you.

Again, I am no expert at this. The above is strictly my opinion. I know my response sounds harsh. ( I must need another dose of fat bomb!)This way of eating is not appropriate for everyone. You must use your best common sense as to what is best for you, and use medical advice when needed. Best wishes.
Ella5
So again, if the meal put in front of me contains no induction acceptable foods should I just not eat? wait until I am home at night? From all these responses I'm gathering that I should not eat, and can maybe stuff a few snacks in my mouth at break time and that will have to be good enough.

Also, I'm not sure what a fat bomb is? I'll have to look it up.

Last edited by Reddress; 03-05-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Have you tried several different Stevias or Erythritol? Those don't generally provoke any GI reaction or headache issues, and I thought I hated Stevia until I tried a different brand and realized I like that one much, much better.
Honestly, no I haven't. I have such severe reaction to other sweeteners, that I haven't even tried them. I'll have to see if I can find them anywhere to buy. I live in a small town and I don't think I have seen them in the store, but maybe I can order online or something.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I think it's very easy to make excuses, and much harder to stick with what you know is the right thing to do. I've only been doing low-carb for a little less than 2 months. I recently had to go out of town for a week for work. I knew I wasn't going to be able to easily make it work on the road. I was planning my failure in my head days before I left for my trip. Know what, I stuck with it. I bought snacks to take with me, pepperoni, cheese sticks, almonds. I ended up eating the pepperoni and cheese as my lunch more than once. I was busy, and it was quick and easy. When I ate in restaurants, I ordered a steak, and asked for the veggie of the day instead of the baked potato. I had a burger, and simply took the bun off and ate it with a knife and fork, and also subbed veggies for the fries. I have felt a little apprehensive about asking restaurants about subbing veggies, or wrapping a burger in lettuce, etc. And you know what, not once has anyone looked at me with a strange look when I've asked. I usually get a "no problem" response. I did not cheat one little bit on my road trip. My hotel had "complimentary breakfast" and to my surprise, they had eggs and sausage or bacon, along with all of the high carb bread-based junk they usually serve. The worst thing I ate, carb-wise, was some yogurt with 8g of net carbs.

I catch myself sometimes thinking about foods I shouldn't eat. Grocery shopping can be tempting. Walking past the bakery is tough for a fat boy! But I've not cheated once in almost two months, except for drinking some Pedialyte and Gatorade when I was puking my guts up a few days ago.

You can do it. You have to WANT to do it. I was a grumpy man for the first week or so that I was on low-carb. I was tired and had no energy for the first few days. But 7 weeks in, having to wear a belt on pants that were snug two months ago, reminds me why I'm doing it and succeeding. I've lost 30 pounds, and need to lose about 25 more. I'm going to make it to my goal...and not make excuses.
Thanks for sharing! I love hearing the success stories!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Reddress!! Well wow. You are a busy woman! Using your friend/co-worker for motivation will only get you so far. Find a copy of Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, maybe a used bookstore. Know why you are doing what you are doing. Knowledge is power.

As for work, do you take a cooler or anything like that? Eggs, hard boiled or deviled are easy. Pepperoni, cheese sticks, portioned out nuts would be okay, jerky is always a good fall back. I use to make a lunchmeat roll ups with whatever kind you like, I used beef, and then spread with cream cheese with chives. Roll them up and yum! Everyone in my old office liked those.

Also, on a day off, cook in advance. Linda Sue has been a life saver for a lot of us. Check out her website. Maria Emmerich also has a ton of great recipes. Check out the recipe help and suggestion board. A lot of great minds over there. But again, read the book. Good luck, and never give up!
I know the coworker will only work for so long - I'm hoping it works long enough for me to see at least a pound or two of loss and then that will keep me motivated, lol.

I don't take a cooler to work, no. I bring a lunch bag when I have to eat lunch at the school and I can keep that in the fridge, but I am not allowed to put my own food in the fridges at the group homes. I went today and bought nuts and pepperoni and divided the nuts into 1/4 cup bags already. I plan for a lunch meat roll up with dill pickle, cheese and ham as a snack this afternoon. This is one of the rare days when I am home during the day so I will try to eat well before work. I also precooked and pre-portioned chicken breast, and cut up and bagged mixed veggies so I can either eat them raw, or mix with the chicken breast and sautee on the days when I can cook at the school.

Thank you for your positive words and encouragement, it is very appreciated!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NanaMary
Stats: 167/138/135
WOE: Low Carb High Fat
Start Date: January 2014
Hi Reddress! I can definitely relate to your work problem. I used to be employed as a TA at a residential facility and we were not allowed to bring food and were also required to eat with the kids. We had no options other than what was being served, which was sometimes macaroni and cheese, or ravioli, or some other carb heavy choice. If you're unprepared it's a nightmare, working in those types of environments is physically demanding and you're HUNGRY at lunchtime! If you're environment is similar, you are not allowed to eat in front of your clients yet are also often not able to take a break to sneak off and eat something from home. I found that I could not follow a lc diet in any consistent way while I was employed there for three years. I went so far as to keep cooked chicken breasts in my back pocket to sneak eat in the bathroom (if I could go to the bathroom!). I hope you are able to find a workable solution to your problem! I highly recommend the recipe section of this website, it's got some amazing recipes that you may find helpful. Good Luck!
NanaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Reddress - You most certainly have a lot going on. I commend you for reaching out for suggestions early on before deciding that this way of eating does not work. You were thrown some challenges like the impossible meal, now the ball is in your court.

If I might suggest, take a step back and think about how you are going to control your food choices - regardless of diet plan. In the future, when you face a meal like the one you mentioned, you need to be prepared. Even if you don't control the menu for the group home, you control what you bring with you. You might have to eat your food when you're doing evening paperwork.

Based on your schedule, you will need to plan meals, snacks, alternatives. Depending on where you work, if you're at your regular group home or not, I suspect that the meal is posted for at least the upcoming week if not further, so you should have the opportunity to know what is being served that day.

Check the upcoming week's menu and plan in advance if you'll need to bring a meal (many options don't need refrigeration and can be tossed in a lunch bag).
Plan in advance for emergency snacks, whether it be celery and peanut butter or cream cheese or a 1/4 cup of nuts.

You CAN eat celery and peanut butter - in fact that's a great option. One teaspoon of sugar will not negate all of the benefits of this way of eating, but it must be counted - and if you're eating at induction levels, that teaspoon adds up pretty quick. Cream is better than milk, but milk might be better than black coffee. Just keep track.

There are also ways to get immense enjoyment out of eating low carb once you start exploring - think spinach artichoke dip, loaded hamburger minus the bun, omelets, mock cheesecake - things you'd probably never thought of before.

Read some threads on easy induction meals, plan a menu for the rest of the week and weekend. If you can't shop until the weekend, work with what you have - some cheese and veggie sticks and nuts might hold you over.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Nanamarie - It's been 25+ years since I worked in group homes for developmentally disabled (mid- late 80's). I know we were restricted what we could bring to the homes - and most certainly could not eat differently than the clients at mealtime. Did you have to eat with the kids or just sit at the table and assist or monitor eating? Usually, we were too busy during dinner and had to chow something down during dinner clean up.

We had our purses and backpacks locked in the staff office so the clients couldn't get to our personal belongings (including food, cigarettes, money).

And yes, this is definitely hard work.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaMary View Post
Hi Reddress! I can definitely relate to your work problem. I used to be employed as a TA at a residential facility and we were not allowed to bring food and were also required to eat with the kids. We had no options other than what was being served, which was sometimes macaroni and cheese, or ravioli, or some other carb heavy choice. If you're unprepared it's a nightmare, working in those types of environments is physically demanding and you're HUNGRY at lunchtime! If you're environment is similar, you are not allowed to eat in front of your clients yet are also often not able to take a break to sneak off and eat something from home. I found that I could not follow a lc diet in any consistent way while I was employed there for three years. I went so far as to keep cooked chicken breasts in my back pocket to sneak eat in the bathroom (if I could go to the bathroom!). I hope you are able to find a workable solution to your problem! I highly recommend the recipe section of this website, it's got some amazing recipes that you may find helpful. Good Luck!
Yes! That is my job almost exactly only I work with adults. During the day I either work at the facility or teach school (at least school I get breaks, lol). Evenings and 12 hour Saturday and Sunday shifts are at the facility. I'm leaving for my shift in 30 minutes or so - I do have a cheesestring, a pepperoni stick and some nuts packed to snack on. My coworkers who smoke get smoke breaks, I should be able to have a snack break, right?? lol