Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I believe people know if they are carbohydrate sensitive. Do you gain weight rapidly and easily? Are you very overweight?

If you are clinically obese, like many of us were/are, then low-carbohydrate eating makes the most sense.

If you are only 10-15 pounds from your goal while eating carbs, maybe some calorie restriction and weight-lifting/cardio would help.

Lowcarb is a very specific diet. I do it because nothing; absolutely nothing, else works for me. All other diets make me ravenous and bingy and unsuccessful in general even if I follow it.

This is the only way for me. If you feel deprived, are you sure this is the only way for you?

Also: if you aren't that into meat and veggies, there are other ways to "do" lowcarb, you can focus more on low-starch vegetables, you can make breads out of coconut or almond flour, you can do a vegetarian version.

You might need to know more about who you are in regard to diet.

Also, a low-carbohydrate diet really "gets into gear" after about a week. You have to commit, commit, commit! If you decide to commit, you will know in a week if its working for you physically/psychologically or not.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
I know the coworker will only work for so long - I'm hoping it works long enough for me to see at least a pound or two of loss and then that will keep me motivated, lol.

I don't take a cooler to work, no. I bring a lunch bag when I have to eat lunch at the school and I can keep that in the fridge, but I am not allowed to put my own food in the fridges at the group homes. I went today and bought nuts and pepperoni and divided the nuts into 1/4 cup bags already. I plan for a lunch meat roll up with dill pickle, cheese and ham as a snack this afternoon. This is one of the rare days when I am home during the day so I will try to eat well before work. I also precooked and pre-portioned chicken breast, and cut up and bagged mixed veggies so I can either eat them raw, or mix with the chicken breast and sautee on the days when I can cook at the school.

Thank you for your positive words and encouragement, it is very appreciated!
I love that you are going to the effort to make this work. Your schedule is crazy! You can do this!! And, right, you're just going for a 'smoke' break!!! I love that!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
Thank you! You had a lot of good things in your post. So 50g will still work but more slowly? I don't even think I would use that much, like yesterday I was at 16g by 10pm. That's what I was looking for. I just want to put some
Sugar in my coffee, lol! Unfortunately I can not use artificial sweeteners as I am allergic so it is sugar or nothing.
Considering the average American eats between 250 and 300 grams of carbs a day cutting back to 50 or under is a huge step. Yes, it will probably be slower than doing induction, but imo, it's a great way to begin. I didn't do induction, couldn't face it again this time. Did it backwards. Started at 50 or under and as I learned more and found more LC foods and recipes I liked, I backed myself down to between 25 and 35 a day, where I remain. Hasn't been fast, but it worked. 42 pounds down in a year, and I now love the way I eat.

And, as others here have noted, there ARE many sweeteners, and chances are not bad that you're not allergic to all of them.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 210/189/160
Start Date: 7/23/13
Reddress, I'm very sorry to hear you've had such a tough time so far. Would it be possible to speak with your work about your new dietary restrictions? I'd be appalled if they weren't at all accomodating. Ive worked for inpatient facilities that wouldn't allow outside food around residents but had no problem with staff eating whatever they fancied in a discreet area. Considering the number of people with special dietary guidelines, Im surprised no one else has had an issue to date.

I'm a popcorn lover, too. I got through induction by eating (sometimes to excess) on plan whenever a craving hit. Don't worry about calories in the beginning - EAT! After you her into ketosis, your appetite will be noticeably repressed. :-)

Also, Taryl (Arcticmama) is very knowledgeable on this WOE. Remember that we are all here to HELP one another - no one means their comments to be malicious or condescending

You CAN do this!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NanaMary
Stats: 167/138/135
WOE: Low Carb High Fat
Start Date: January 2014
Sbarr the place I worked at was what some refer to as a "kiddy jail". It was a large campus and I worked in the school with the older teenagers and also with the most violent offenders. We didn't have designated breaks nor did we have a lunch as most people think of a lunch break. We were required to accompany the kids to lunch in the cafeteria and sit at the table with them, we weren't forced to eat of course but we couldn't bring food in from outside. Many of the kids had food issues on top of their other behavioral problems and if we were eating something different it could have set them off. A lot of our day consisted of breaking up fights, preventing fights, chasing kids who ran off, holding kids down in restraints, etc. It was not a fun environment but I did make some great relationships with some of the kids and my co-workers. There were no smoke breaks either, lol. I got punched in the face more times than I can count, thrown up into walls, all kinds of fun things. On top of the stressful environment and the food restrictions it was really tough to stick to low carb although I did the best I could. When they served a typical meal, entrée, veg, starch, I could skip the starch but unfortunately the meat was often some sort of processed variety (chicken nuggets) so you couldn't really tell what you were eating. Think jail food. Five years previous to my employment there I had lost sixty pounds low carbing and had managed to keep it all off. After three years there I had put on about twenty pounds. I worked hard to manage my diet away from work and I think that helped a lot, on top of the physical nature of the work itself, which burned a lot of calories. I can really understand where Reddress is coming from, it's not making excuses. Some days you literally cannot leave your clients for even a few minutes and what then? Eating chicken breasts in the bathroom is not a pleasant experience, lol. And there are sometimes days when you don't even get to go to the bathroom! My advice would be to start low carbing when you have a few days off, then at least you'd be a few days in before returning to work and that can give you a sense of motivation in itself. Planning ahead can't be stressed enough. I would also say just do the best you can while at work and don't beat yourself up to much.
NanaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have not read through the responses so forgive me if I repeat advice already given. I think all weight loss diets are low carb by definition. They all demand that the carby junk food be cut out. The question really is whether you want to be ketogenic or not.

Some people can lose well on a lower carb woe and some have to be ketogenic for a variety of reasons. The only way you will know is to keep track of your carb consumption and any results.

This is a really great forum that supports all sorts of weight loss strategies so be sure to visit often and think of it as a fantastic support system.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
Start Date: March 2014
Thank you all for the responses, and I'm sorry for being short tempered with some of you. Can I blame carb detox? LOL

Just an update - I am now 5 days in. My first day my total carbs were 79g . The next day I got down to 47. Then 27, then 25, and so far today (already eaten my supper) I am at 19. Yesterday could have been better, but I mistakenly ate a smokie sausage thinking "protein and fat, its okay!" but I found I was wrong when I actually looked into it. Lesson learned, LOL! After even that rough start, I am down 4.6 lbs as of today! I know its all water, but I'm still happy.

This weekend will be a challenge - I work 12 hour shifts at my job. I can eat breakfast at home, but will have to be creative for lunch and supper. My little bit of loss really has me determined to not lose my progress this weekend, so hopefully I can manage it.

Thank you again for your support!!!
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
I have been in positions where I had to eat with the clients I was working with...no one expected me to eat nuts (I have a deathly allergy), and when I told them I could no longer eat wheat, no one had a problem with me having substitutions. Have you tried telling people you work with that you have food sensitivities or allergies, as opposed to being on a diet?
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Good luck! Of course low carb can work for you if you want to try it, even if a strict Atkins induction won't work for you, given your work situations.

Try to set yourself up for success by choosing your absolute favorite foods that also happen to be low carb (ie, for me that would be steak, really good brie, lots of cream and butter). Fill the fridge and cupboard with these foods, so that when you're tired and cranky, you have lots of your favorite foods to choose from. I've managed to be happy low carbing for 12 years because I focus on all my favorite foods that I can have, rather than on the few boring foods I can't have.

Rather than try a strict induction, you might start instead with stage 2 of Atkins, which allows for peanut butter, other nuts, and a bit more leeway about other choices. You've chosen some great snacks to bring to work already.

Think about the times when you're tired and crave snacks that are comforting, and plan for options that give you similar satisfaction but are still low carb. So rather than popcorn when you get home, you could try fried cheese (sprinkle some pre-shredded cheese on a hot non-stick skillet and fry for 30 seconds until crisp. Salt if you like. Delicious and very satisfying for people who like salty snacks). Rather than traditional baked goods, try cream cheese whipped with heavy cream. Use heavy cream in your coffee, of course! Try erythritol--it's a natural sweetener, like stevia, but very low calorie and carb. Peanut butter inside celery is a great treat.

When I'm working or traveling and can't stop for a meal, I eat nuts and cheese sticks. I refuse group food by telling people I'm gluten intolerant (which is true, but people are much more willing to let you eat something different when it's an allergy or intolerance).

Good luck.

Last edited by tiva; 03-08-2014 at 07:10 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #40
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Is it just dinner you have to eat with clients? If so, you could check into the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. You essentially eat low carb all day and have more freedom during one hour of the day (typically dinner).

There are little real cream tubs called Mini Moos that don't have to be refrigerated. I have seen them at Target.

Good Luck.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Is it just dinner you have to eat with clients? If so, you could check into the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. You essentially eat low carb all day and have more freedom during one hour of the day (typically dinner).

There are little real cream tubs called Mini Moos that don't have to be refrigerated. I have seen them at Target.

Good Luck.
I will check this out thanks! Yes, most days it is just dinner, but every other weekend I work two, 12 hour shifts that cover lunch and supper

I made it through 1 12 hour day yesterday and had to eat at the end of theday to make 20 carbs.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and support!
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote