Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   One week in and have some questions... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824852-one-week-have-some-questions.html)

Larry 03-05-2014 04:29 AM

One week in and have some questions...

I have some questions on the induction phase and Atkins in general.

I started last Tuesday at 328.6 pounds and this last Tuesday I weighed in at 319.2. Being 6'5" people don't think I weight this much lol.

I'm eating 20 carbs or less a day using meat, eggs, pork rinds, pepperoni sticks, taco salad without shell, Atkins bars and shakes.

After a few days in I have a constant headache and stomach ache. Is this normal or should I get checked out by doctor? Six days left on induction phase lol.

What's the deal with Milk? I used my carb counter calculator to check carbs on 2% milk and it comes out to zero carbs yet I see everyone say you can't drink milk? Why is that if the net carbs are zero? What am I missing?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mimosa23 03-05-2014 04:37 AM

Hi Larry,

Congratulations on starting and dropping almost 10 lbs! And welcome to LCF!

Are you drinking enough water?

Also, what helps the headaches is a nice cup of salty bone broth. This will replenish your minerals and make you feel better.

Milk contains lactose, which is a sugar, and thus it has plenty of carbs. I would stay away from it. My carb counter says that it's 11 carbs per cup...

xxx Chloe.

JudyJo 03-05-2014 04:38 AM

I remember the last time I went on Atkins with the carbs under 20 per day. I got a headache so bad I thought something was really wrong with me! I made a doctor's appointment and was in so much pain she scheduled a ?catscan? Whatever that test is they do to see what's going on in your brain.

But I decided I had had enough of the headache, so I bought some caffeine pills. Voila! the headache went away and I called to cancel the test.

If you are trying to stay away from caffeine, I am not sure what to advise you.

I don't have headaches very often, so for me, it was excruciating. Hope you get the right advice that helps YOU, Larry.

Larry 03-05-2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16824494)
Hi Larry,

Congratulations on starting and dropping almost 10 lbs! And welcome to LCF!

Are you drinking enough water?

Also, what helps the headaches is a nice cup of salty bone broth. This will replenish your minerals and make you feel better.

Milk contains lactose, which is a sugar, and thus it has plenty of carbs. I would stay away from it. My carb counter says that it's 11 carbs per cup...

xxx Chloe.

The milk does say 11 carbs but when you use a carb counter calculator for net carbs it says its zero after taking the numbers from carbs, fiber, sugar alcohols and calories. I know the calculator works the way its supposed to because I have used many times on my Atkins bars to see if it comes up with the same number.

I got the carb counter on android market for my Samsung G4.

I will be buying some beef broth cubes today so hopefully that helps.

Larry 03-05-2014 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudyJo (Post 16824495)
I remember the last time I went on Atkins with the carbs under 20 per day. I got a headache so bad I thought something was really wrong with me! I made a doctor's appointment and was in so much pain she scheduled a ?catscan? Whatever that test is they do to see what's going on in your brain.

But I decided I had had enough of the headache, so I bought some caffeine pills. Voila! the headache went away and I called to cancel the test.

If you are trying to stay away from caffeine, I am not sure what to advise you.

I don't have headaches very often, so for me, it was excruciating. Hope you get the right advice that helps YOU, Larry.

I was drinking about a gallon of water and stopped soda intake a month before I started induction phase so I don't think its caffeine with drawls. I don't drink coffee or energy drinks either. Only caffeine was from soda.

I drink about a gallon of water a day.

Dottie 03-05-2014 04:48 AM

Welcome Larry:)
Milk (assuming it's real milk and not almond or coconut milk) doesn't have any fiber or sugar alcohols to deduct, so what's on the label it the actual carbs :)

Larry 03-05-2014 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16824509)
Welcome Larry:)
Milk (assuming it's real milk and not almond or coconut milk) doesn't have any fiber or sugar alcohols to deduct, so what's on the label it the actual carbs :)

That sucks lol. I love milk and when I looked at label it showed a fiber and sugar count. Didn't say sugar alcohol so that must be the missing piece.

Got so happy when I thought it was zero carbs lol. My wife has a gallon of milk to drink now and she doesn't drink much lol.

Dottie 03-05-2014 05:02 AM

Sorry to burst the bubble;)
Have you tried unsweetened almond milk? It's really good! If you want more of a "real" milk taste, to 1 cup of the unsweetened almond milk, add 2T half and half. For 2g carbs, it's a pretty good deal:)

Larry 03-05-2014 06:08 AM

Can you go longer than 2 weeks on the induction phase? I ask because I don't want to end up in a coma so I'm wondering if others have and if they experience any serious issues?

Dottie 03-05-2014 06:11 AM

Here is a sub-forum that is specific to Atkins induction:)
You'll find a lot of people that do extended induction and aren't in a coma, or have their kidneys explode, etc ;)
Atkins Induction - Low Carb Friends

Mimosa23 03-05-2014 06:12 AM

Why would you end up in a coma?

You can do induction level carbs for as long as you like really.

Of course it's wise to climb up the carb ladder at some point before you reach your goal.

Have you read any of the LC books that lay out a specific programme?

Larry 03-05-2014 06:28 AM

My wife told me that some people have went into a coma from ketosis lol.

Haven't read as much as I should except the things I'm concerned about.

Dottie 03-05-2014 06:31 AM

There's a world of difference between diabetic keto-acidosis (which can cause coma) and benign dietary ketosis (which is what low-carb causes).

Mimosa23 03-05-2014 06:34 AM

I can highly recommend the following books for you, it will help you make this diet into a life long success:

- Why we get fat by Gary Taubes
- Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution by Dr Robert Atkins
- The art and science of low carb living by Drs Phinney and Volek

Wishing you continued success in your weightloss journey and happy reading!

xx Chloe.

84k 03-05-2014 08:26 AM

Maybe its a man thing Larry, but I experienced the upset stomach for the first week or so, I changed nothing and it disappeared, I would recommend the broth though, but chicken tastes much better than beef imo.
The headache might be the Atkins/Keto "flu" it should pass when you're body is adapted to fat burning (if not sooner) if it lasts longer than 2 weeks I'd be concerned, possibly, I never experienced it myself.

Regards to long term induction, you're fine, ask drs. Phinney and volek, and countless others which call this diet "Keto"
I've been Keto 10 months now, not dead yet :laugh:

TheBigKahuna 03-05-2014 09:39 AM

First time I tried Atkins, we were doing the older one and caffeine was to be avoided. I had a caffeine withdrawl headache by day two, and went back to caffeine.

A lot of things can trigger headaches, dehydration, stress, allergies, caffeine addiction, etc.

I stayed on induction for over a month. I'm closer to induction with my carb intake now, 7 weeks in, that I am to phase 2. I probably still eat less than 20g a day.

Those pound will shed off quickly if you can stick with it. I'm 6-3" and started out around 290. I weighed 259 this morning, 7 weeks in.

snowangel9 03-05-2014 10:29 AM

:welcome:! Larry!! This is totally normal. The first time I did Atkins I was sooo sick! I actually stopped for a few days. But, the good news is, it'll go away. Most likely sugar withdrawals. Good job on the 10lbs so far. :up:

Hood's makes a low carb milk, Calorie Count Down. But I like Dottie's idea. Hadn't heard that one before. Always learning something! :)

84K - you crack em up ....not dead yet. :hyst:

cfine 03-05-2014 02:07 PM

My suggestions: bone broth with some butter. Yum! And give up the Atkins bars. It's just a bunch of processed crap and it is a well known weight loss staller.

MtherGoos 03-05-2014 02:24 PM

I've been on the Atkins 72 version of Induction for just over a year now.... still now coma. :)

mdog73 03-05-2014 11:13 PM

I experienced some of those symptoms when I restarted. They went away after a week or 10 day which was longer than I remembered the first time. I often go back and forth in between induction and maintenance carb levels. At the beginning I'd say I went several months at sub 20 carb levels except for a few random days where I had some beers. It just get easier. Once you give into a craving though it can be hard to pull back.

Larissima 03-06-2014 02:28 AM

Pork rinds (unless you make them yourself), pepperoni, bars and shakes are all highly processed foods, containing aditives that might be responsible for your headache and/or stomach problems. Try swapping those for real food, like meat, fish, eggs and green veg, and see if it helps.

Larry 03-06-2014 04:25 AM

Thanks for all the advice. This diet is a simple one for me honestly.

I didn't drink alcohol before Atkins, don't really like pastries, don't care for cake or ice cream that much at all, don't drink coffee.

I would rather have nachos or steak and fries lol. Drank a lot of soda and loved fruit type of candy.

Hardest thing for me on this diet is not eating fruit. I love oranges and could eat a lot lol.

I have always loved eggs and some kind of meat for breakfast so that's easy for me but I do mist my corned beef hash and eggs and hashbrowns with breakfast.

I have eaten the Atkins bars since day one everyday and still lost 10 pounds in first week so it must not stall my weight loss.

I need to add variety to my meals so I don't get burned out so if you guys have any suggestions let me know.

I will be buying shitake noodles for pasta and would like some ideas on low carb spaghetti sauces, Alfredo sauces and chili con carne without beans.

kay9 03-06-2014 04:45 AM

6 months extended induction here and so far so good.

Larry 03-06-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay9 (Post 16826074)
6 months extended induction here and so far so good.

In 6 months you lost 232 pounds staying on induction phase?

Trigger828 03-06-2014 05:58 AM

no those stats are start weight/current weight/goal weight

so kay9 has lost 111 lbs in that amt of time, which is wonderful!!!!

Larry 03-06-2014 03:17 PM

Yea that is awesome! That's around the same amount of weight I want to lose.

I would like to be around 225 pounds.

earthcrosser 03-06-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larissima (Post 16825994)
Pork rinds (unless you make them yourself), pepperoni, bars and shakes are all highly processed foods, containing aditives that might be responsible for your headache and/or stomach problems. Try swapping those for real food, like meat, fish, eggs and green veg, and see if it helps.

Couldn't agree more! Whole food is best.

Janknitz 03-06-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

I have eaten the Atkins bars since day one everyday and still lost 10 pounds in first week so it must not stall my weight loss.
Don't start counting your chickens too fast, there, cowboy! Most of the weight lost in the first two weeks is water weight, which is why you can feel so rotten. Your body is also losing sodium and potassium, that's why salty broth and potassium rich veggies like avocado help. After your water weight comes off the body can start burning fat. But those bars are not healthful and may still yet cause you to stall. Just because they say Atkins on them does not mean much. The name was sold, but dr. Atkins would never have recommended them.

Real food is where it's at!

Larry 03-09-2014 01:58 AM

Few more quick questions...

1. What is flax is see everybody talking about and how does it work within the Atkins diet?

2. Any low carb ketchups on the market?

3. Since most meat is no carbs can we eat as much as we want?

4. What's the best veggies for low carb?

Casey 03-09-2014 05:38 AM

About flax: use flax meal because seeds go through your system unprocessed. Flax meal is good to keep things moving and carbs are equal to fiber for zero net carbs. I put 2 tablespoons in my protein shakes. It also contains good oils. My favorite low carb vegetables are:
Zucchini - spiral sliced to act like pasta
Spinach - fresh or frozen - good for crustless quiche
Asparagus - with homemade hollandaise sauce
Butter lettuce - I make lettuce wraps with thin sliced roast beef and avocado
I have seen low carb ketchup but they contain sugar alcohols which can cause stomach upset.