Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
3. Afraid not, too much protein can put you out of ketosis, but you're a big guy, you could probably take 150-200g, I aim for 150g and need protein shakes to do that...
84k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Can you go longer than 2 weeks on the induction phase? I ask because I don't want to end up in a coma so I'm wondering if others have and if they experience any serious issues?
I have been on Atkins '72 since July 5, 2013 "Induction Week 1. I have no more than 6 carbs a day (these are not net carbs -- I'm an A'72 purist, so I don't use those). I have no health issues (just had a check up last month). I just reached my personal weight loss goal of -120lbs in 35 weeks.
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
I have been on Atkins '72 since July 5, 2013 "Induction Week 1. I have no more than 6 carbs a day (these are not net carbs -- I'm an A'72 purist, so I don't use those). I have no health issues (just had a check up last month). I just reached my personal weight loss goal of -120lbs in 35 weeks.

Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Amazing, actually!
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Can you go longer than 2 weeks on the induction phase? I ask because I don't want to end up in a coma so I'm wondering if others have and if they experience any serious issues?
I do Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" which is less than 25gm of carbs and then only from non-starchy vegies so I'm on permanent induction...and have been since January 2013.

Once your body gets used to being so low carb, you'll feel a lot better. I have way more energy, mentally and physically, than I ever did eating higher carb.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
My wife told me that some people have went into a coma from ketosis lol.

Haven't read as much as I should except the things I'm concerned about.
Yeah...no. She's probably thinking ketoacidosis which is a diabetic complication and *NOT* caused by low carbing.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paynts
Stats: 229/196/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb. 15 2014
I felt a bit icky the first 10 days of induction. Now I feel great. My BP
has dropped a lot.
paynts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

I've substituted a little red hot sauce for ketchup on meat and to be honest, I like it much better. Hot sauce = zero carbs & kcals but check the food label to be sure.

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

Last edited by Just Jo; 03-13-2014 at 01:43 AM..
Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Few more quick questions...

1. What is flax is see everybody talking about and how does it work within the Atkins diet?

2. Any low carb ketchups on the market?

3. Since most meat is no carbs can we eat as much as we want?

4. What's the best veggies for low carb?
OOps forgot to add the Quote. LOL

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, Larry! Congrats on your intial loss and for taking those important first steps toward a low carb lifestyle. You've already gotten a lot of great advice here. You know, no matter how you slice it, low carb - or ANY true change in your eating lifestyle is HARD! In my opinion, since I love meat, fat and all kinds of veggies, LC has been the easiest of any of the plans I've used in my life to lose weight, but even more importantly, the ONLY plan that has also improved my health, my mood, and is working to ward off illnesses I would have most likely faced had I continued on my current path.

The first time you go into a restaurant and order that juicy burger without the bun or fries, or the big steak minus the potato, it's going to feel weird and unfair. But truly, once you start noshing away on that juicy fatty meat, the need for the french fries subsides. And after a while, you truly will begin to feel satisfied with less food than you may have been used to, since the carbs are not fueling your appetite for more. When you asked, "can I eat all the meat I want," the answer really is, eat all you need to feel satisfied. Pay attention to your appetite as you begin to experience less cravings over time.
LC ketchup? Heinz makes a great reduced sugar ketchup that is good. I like to mix it with mayo to put on my burgers.

When you feel a bit "yucky," drink a cup of salty broth/boullion and that will often make you feel better by restoring your sodium/electrolyte balance. Veggies: think green (or white, in the case of cauliflower) for the best options. Broccoli, salad greens, asparagus, green beans, spinach, cukes, zucchini, etc. If you like, or can tolerate, salad greens, a big salad loaded with LC goodies makes such a satifying meal. I work in a hospital so am lucky to have access to a nice salad bar. I use spring mix/spinach as a base, and add olives, a bit of cheese, walnuts, cukes, red peppers, some sliced lunchmeat or chicken salad, boiled egg, a bit of olive oil and usu. my own ranch dressing I make at home (since all that's offered is yucky "low fat" or sugary dressings). Also, roasting veggies gives them incredible flavor and often an entirely different taste profile from your usual raw or steamed. If you like to bake, or bread your foods, almond flour, ground flax, and coconut flours can be a big help. I second the suggestion of reading a book or two on LC and why it is so good for us. "Why We Get Fat," by Gary Taubes provided my "ah ha!" moment and changed my life forever. I will NEVER look at food again in the same way.

I've been a LC fan for a few years now. I've fallen off the wagon more times than I can count and this site give me strength and helps me jump back on. Good luck to you and keep posting and reading on LCF!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaM
Stats: 188/170/140 5'1
WOE: lower carb watch calories
Start Date: 01/14/2014
Larry I was told by members here to make my own milk. That and broth are the main things that helped me to stay low carb. There are recipes for it on this site.
LindaM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Larry
Thanks for the input everyone!

I only lost around 3 pounds the 2nd week lol.

My wife had to go and help with a family matter and I was by myself.

My wife helps me by making and portioning my food. She is an awesome helper in this quest lol.

My portioning went out the window and I didn't really count the carbs while she was gone I just ate more of the stuff I am supposed to. I made the biggest hamburger in my life and topped it with pickles and muenster cheese and seasoned it with Monterey seasoning.

Hopefully now that she is back home I can get my portioning done right.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote