Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tomswife
Stats: 251/240/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
Sugar........Advice

Hi Guys,
In my Weight loss group today, our leader did a program on food addiction. Which I thought was great because a few of us in that group has sugar addiction but a few do not. They keep saying everything in moderation, blah, blah, blah Anyway she never did call it sugar or carb addiction. Just food addiction. And she compared it to alcohol addiction which I also thought was good. But then at the very end she said she has known people on the Atkins diet and because of their lack of sugar they seem to not be able to think clearly. She said the body needed sugar for your brain to function properly. I almost choked on my water My thought was maybe the people she knew that was doing Atkins was either not doing it propery (not enough fat) or was in the begining stages (detoxing)> Anyway, I'm doing a program in a couple of weeks and I'd like to do a program of why your body doesn't need sugar. I mean, I know what I need to put in my body but I have trouble explaining about the whys and all that. Anyone have suggestions on exactly what I should talk about or some good websites that I can check out.
Thanks so much,

Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
I would have choked on my water too! I'm sure the leader is a product of the Weight Watchers generation. Most people don't seem to understand the concept of Atkins, that fat is our friend, and not our enemy. Sugar is a relatively new addition to the human diet, and it's crazy that the general population sees it as a necessary part of our diet. Google the sugar intake of someone in 1600, 1750, 1900, versus what the average American eats in a year now. I would focus your discussion on a what human diets used to consist of when people where hunters and gatherers. Our bodies were meant to subside on meats, berries, and low-glycemic vegetables.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Seems like she's still hung up on the health fallacy of the SAD (Standard American Diet). Perhaps bringing in some evidence-based research on a LC WOE would help show her there are other dietary options available?
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
You might want to check out Barry Groves Trick and Treat. That would give you some good information. He says, There are three things we eat, carbs, protein and fat. Only one of them is not essential. Carbs. Also Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat

Maria Emmerich has some good info too. You could google her. She says that 1 tsp of sugar in our blood is normal. Every four carbs has 1 tsp of sugar. So, for diabetics wouldn't it just be easier not to eat them?

People just can't seem to accept that blaming new diseases on old-fashioned food is ridiculous. Maybe you can educate them a little. Or at least give them something to think about. Have fun though, can't wait to hear how it goes.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thank, guys. I forgot about "trick or treat". I read about it here and was going to order it but never got around to it. I did one program a while back on the benefits of coconut oil. (I decided to do that when our leader did a talk on how wonderful canola oil was). I brought in samples of oopsie rolls, coconut oil candies and flaxseed muffins and handed out recipes. They all seemed to like that but not retain any of the info. I just think it's unfair that I have to sit there week after week and listen to lowfat talk and not get an equal say.
tomswife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It sounds like she was talking about the brain's need for glucose. It is a fact that some glucose is essential. This does not mean that we need to consume dietary glucose. The body will provide those needs through a process called gluconeogenisis.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswife View Post
Hi Guys,
In my Weight loss group today, our leader did a program on food addiction. Which I thought was great because a few of us in that group has sugar addiction but a few do not. They keep saying everything in moderation, blah, blah, blah Anyway she never did call it sugar or carb addiction. Just food addiction. And she compared it to alcohol addiction which I also thought was good. But then at the very end she said she has known people on the Atkins diet and because of their lack of sugar they seem to not be able to think clearly. She said the body needed sugar for your brain to function properly. I almost choked on my water My thought was maybe the people she knew that was doing Atkins was either not doing it propery (not enough fat) or was in the begining stages (detoxing)> Anyway, I'm doing a program in a couple of weeks and I'd like to do a program of why your body doesn't need sugar. I mean, I know what I need to put in my body but I have trouble explaining about the whys and all that. Anyone have suggestions on exactly what I should talk about or some good websites that I can check out.
Thanks so much,

Susan
Susan, do a quick search on the boards here for a thread titled "Meet my Doctor" posted by Keytones, in the very first post she posted a link to a 30 minute video that is OUTSTANDING and will give you some excellent information!!! The name of the video is burn fat not sugar......It will really help you out!! Good luck, let us know how it goes!
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I second the 'Meet my Doctor' post from Keytones, here's the link:

Meet My Doctor!

Also, check out the Diet Doctor blog. Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt is very knowledgeable and has some very good starting points if you want to explain stuff properly.

I think it is great that you are flying the LC flag, and wish you success!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you guys so much. I'll watch that video later today.
tomswife is online now   Reply With Quote