LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
Got sick, drank lots of Gatorade....?

Woke up yesterday at 4am with some type of stomach virus. Couldn't keep anything down. MY body basically purged itself of any and all contents all day yesterday, and into today! I finally made myself drink Gatorade, I was dehydrated and having bad cramps. So I basically had 50+ grams of carbs in the form of sugar, in Pedialyte and Gatorade. That's the most carbs I've had in one day, in almost 2 months. Today, I am no longer nauseated but still have big "D" if you know what I mean. Sorry, gross, but true. I have no appetite, but the fear of puking does that to me! I did it enough yesterday that my throat was burning!

Eventually I'll eat again. But I do not want "hard" foods like meat and veggies. I also don't want to wreck my ketosis. I'm already worried about all the sugar I drank.

Any tips or pointers? Will I have trouble getting back to ketosis? Will the Gatorade wreck it?

Thanks for any pointers.

I did lose an extra 6 pounds since this started.....and yes, I know that doesn't count!
TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Yes. Gatorade is a bad idea. They have a sugar free version that is fine (Propel Water) and there are homemade recipes. But I usually just drink broth and proteins shakes? It was only once I had to resort to an actual fluid and I cannot remember why, but broth is a much more nutritious stand-in and won't mess with your keto-adaptation.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I didn't exactly have many options, and surely couldn't drive to the store.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
You'll survive - While I'm not the poster child of LC success lately, I have always believed that if you're sick, do whatever it takes to get through it and get back on as soon as you can.

Might be worthwhile to look at some threads on Induction snacks to ease back into eating when you're ready.

Just don't let the sugar from the gatorade be an excuse to make bad food decisions, thus my suggestion about a thread for induction snacks since meat and veggies aren't appealing to you right now.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

You asked, I answered, no need to get defensive . My last stomach bug was a month ago and I was stuck in a hotel - I understand limited options.

Again, Gatorade bad. Keep a few cans of broth on hand for just this sort of thing. And when all else fails, whip out a blender and use protein powder or (worst case scenario) cottage cheese as a base and add in some low sugar fruits or veggies for more body. A cup of frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, and 1 tbs cocoa powder with sweetener to taste is surprisingly yummy and will help with that. And if you truly have nothing but bare cupboards make thee some warm saltwater and drink that.

You can't undo what was already done, but pass the Gatorade onto someone else if you have some left. There's lots of tummy friendly low carb options and it is a good idea to keep a few on hand in the freezer or pantry. Salted scrambled eggs are another very gentle one, and it's quick to cook. I can do it in the middle of a migraine for example, when just standing is a feat. Think soft and salty if you're struggling with cramps and stomach issues.

Another good one is the dehydrated miso soup paste in the fridge section of the grocery store. It's not the lowest carb option but not bad, either, and miso will help you get your electrolytes back in range, too. It also has the benefit of keeping for ages and being very, very inexpensive.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Taryl - those are great ideas. Seems like we should have a sticky or regularly bumped thread about LC options for stomach flu since we often see this type of post. I'm wondering if many people have gatorade on hand for this problem and can reconsider other options. I've never had the stomach flu or stomach poisoning, so I've never had extended bouts of distress from either end or worse, both at the same time so I'd probably just drink water or tea.

Broth
Simple protein shake
Warm salt water - good salt flush option
Miso Soup Paste

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I've been known to take swig of soy sauce in a pinch

Another idea: A better solution than the aforementioned chugging is sautéing two eggs, 1 cup chopped cabbage, 1 tbs each soy sauce and sesame or coconut oil. It is absolutely delicious, nutritious, and easy on the tummy. But yeah, I think low carb can be really hard if you're not feeling well. Doing it through pregnancy gave me a better idea of how to make it work with stomach issues/migraines/exhaustion/food aversion/etc.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Kahuna, I'm with sbarr. It's over, don't stress about it. Just get back on plan. When we are sick and it sounds like you had a heck of a time, then whatever works. Maybe some of Taryl's suggestion can help you ease back into it with out upsetting your tummy again.

Just don't let this be an excuse to go more off plan. And, hopefully all that sugared Gatorade is gone! Feel better!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
SORRY you have been so sick !!! I hope you feel better fast. All of the before mentioned things are great.Broth is your friend.I do understand that you are too sick to drive. Been that way myself a few times. In times like this we just have to do the best that we can with what we have. Do NOT feel bad about having to drink Gatorade. You had to have something. IF I were you when I feel completely better I would start over again. Maybe do a one week induction then pick up where you left off. Just my opinion.
Maybe keep some emergency things in your pantry in case their is a next time. I LOVE PowerAde Zero. It is like Gatorade without many carbs. Hope you feel better.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
wow you got nailed big time being sick.

don't worry. when sick ya kinda gotta do whatever has to be done to get thru it. you can get right back on track when you feel better. If you end up eating lighter lc foods, who knows, your 6 lb loss might just stick and you are ahead of the game.

I never worry too much when sick. I do what I gotta do to make it all work and make me better. then I get on with life

you'll be fine and hope you get over it fast now!!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I bought some sugar free Powerade tonight, just in case! Still haven't got much of an appetite. I did manage to eat an Atkins bar and a few Zaxby's wings. I figure I'll be ready to eat again tomorrow AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Chicken broth is the best for a number of reasons. It has a good profile for electrolytes. It has gut healing properties. It tastes really good and provides some nutrients.

Making egg drop soup when able to tolerate a bit of 'solid' food is good and a bit of fresh ginger only further enhances the benefits.

Feel all better soon!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I tried drinking chicken broth once before. No way could I do that while I'm feeling nauseous. I'd never keep it down.

Thanks for the future ideas.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I hope you feel better soon!

You can stock your house for "next time" with some electrolyte water--it's plain, filtered water with potassium and sodium--no flavors. I used it instead of Gatorade for colonoscopy prep--worked great.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I've been ill a few times on this, tried eating solid foods regardless one time, I DO NOT recommend this extended my illness a few days for sure, other times I just drank water with a bit of salt, was fine, might try broth next time.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Another just for general purposes: peppermint or ginger tea soothe the stomach, too
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Are ya better? Hope so! Sick is NO fun LOL
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #18
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I was going to suggest keeping Powerade Zero on hand, but I see you already got some.

Just pick back up when you feel better.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Since I have been on Atkins, I have gotten sick three or four time with stomach stuff. I try my hardest to stay on plan, but when I am sick milk, toast and bananas make me better. I have tried the other things mentioned here and they didn't seem to help me. Yes, they have too many carbs, but my overall calories are really low. I have never once gained weight while throwing up and having the big D. I wouldn't worry about it. It has never caused any long term problems either. I continued to lose weight at a good pace.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the well wishes. I was concerned about what effect ingesting all of those carbs would have on my body. Apparently not much....I seem almost back to normal, still not much appetite. I had eggs and sausage for breakfast...and it wasn't good. I mean it did not taste good to me. I haven't had any shakes or DTs craving carbs since the Gatorade! Well, no more cravings than usual. I bought some bananas for the kids the other day, and they are sitting there looking delicious, and the kid aren't eating them. I think I miss pineapple and banana as much as anything!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Glad you're feeling better! No, no bananas! (Isn't there a song about that) Just stay the course BK!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeebear57
Stats: 214/192/136
WOE: LC/JUUDD
Start Date: restart 10/1/2013
Google homemade LC gaterade..i make it for my diabetic hubby when sick and use myself with any virus ...
coffeebear57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebear57 View Post
Google homemade LC gaterade..i make it for my diabetic hubby when sick and use myself with any virus ...
Thanks, I gave it a quick look. But I'm lazy, and Food Lion sells the 32oz bottles of SF Powerade for less than $1 around here!