LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2014
Avocado Question

I am on my second day of induction and am trying to add some new foods in to my plan to keep me from getting bored with my food. So that being said, what does an avocado taste like? Is there another food to compare it to that I may have eaten? I am thinking of buying just one to give it a try! Thanks!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
They taste like avocados !

Honestly, I don't think there's a comparison. Just buy one - don't be scurred!

Make sure you get a ripe one - it should "give" a little without being mushy.

Cut it in half, sprinkle on some salt and lemon or lime juice (optional), and scoop it up with a spoon. Yum!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
they are more like a recipe than a single food, but I still can't describe it. the creamy high fat texture is unique.

there are a lot of different types of avocados, and some are a lot better than others. you want Haas avocados, and they need to be pretty dark green. since avocados tend to be expensive, it's best to wait till you find a great one. either too green or too ripe and they are really not worth the bother. try asking older women in the store for help picking one.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/165/160 , 5'8" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK
Start Date: restart Nov 30th
They always remind me of a hard boiled egg yolk....just the taste though, not the consistency.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catnapper
They remind me of bacon.
Catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I agree with Ravenrose, the creamy, rich, high fat factor is unique and delicious. I also agree if you get one that's not just ripe, its a no go. Why don't you try some first at a restaurant? They're pretty common on salads. Put a little salt on some and eat it alone to see if you like it.

They are a great source of healthy fat and so yummy to boot.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
can't get on with avocados, tried adding them in a few weeks back, tasted "sickly" to me, hard to describe.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I eat one whole avocado daily....they are one food I could never live without. That said, they don't have a strong flavor profile, they provide more of a silky texture experience.

They are great for your body as they are very nutritious and provide high quality fat!

Buy one and go for it!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Everyone here in Tucson eats avocados like they are candy! It's like the official Tucson food or something, so I decided to try one and it was But I didn't put anything on it. I heard they are good for you, how do you prepare them and what do you put on them? I'm willing to give it another try if I can put something on it.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
Start Date: March 2, 2014
I went ahead and bought a hass avocado. I put a little salt on it and it wasn't too bad! My next question is how many carbs should I count for it? I have looked on several counters and they have anywhere from 1 gram for a fifth of one to 4 grams for a half. If I wasn't in induction, I wouldn't be so concerned about the difference in count but I am trying to do it by the book this time! Thanks!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
I did NOT grow up with avocado as a choice.
When I encountered my Mom eating one...and saying..."They are so Yummy!"...I took a bite...and couldn't barely finish what felt like slime in my mouth!!!
Fast Forward some 25 years....living now on coastal Texas...with MANY OPPORTUNITIES to eat them, I have found my "taste buds" have changed!!
I eat the small ones that come in from Mexico...that way I get to eat the whole thing...don't have to worry about it turning 'color' in the frig...cause then I won't eat it.

The thing I have had trial and error with is to tell when it is ripened...some success, almost daily...but then a few mistakes in assessment
Either way, I love them! Look forward to 1 daily(average size is 100grams of edible fruit...I weigh them everytime...OCD)
I quarter them...the last quarter is always the one I have to pop off of the seed. I then take my paring knife, lift the edge of the peeling and pull it down...almost like a banana.
Then take the chopped avocado in my Asian Rice Bowl and tiny-3-pronged fork with the stamp of a palm tree on the handle...sit myself in my favorite chair...with no interruption and S-L-O-W-L-Y enjoy my self appointed dessert!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerickson View Post
I went ahead and bought a hass avocado. I put a little salt on it and it wasn't too bad! My next question is how many carbs should I count for it? I have looked on several counters and they have anywhere from 1 gram for a fifth of one to 4 grams for a half. If I wasn't in induction, I wouldn't be so concerned about the difference in count but I am trying to do it by the book this time! Thanks!
Here are the numbers I use:

Total carbs 8.57g Fiber 6.7g Net Carbs - 1.87 Fat 14.73 Protein 2.01
Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Everyone here in Tucson eats avocados like they are candy! It's like the official Tucson food or something, so I decided to try one and it was But I didn't put anything on it. I heard they are good for you, how do you prepare them and what do you put on them? I'm willing to give it another try if I can put something on it.
I like mine with just salt and a spoon. My husband puts salad dressing in the seed well. You could also put tuna/chicken salad in the seed well. My mother used to mash it with mayo, salt and pepper and spread it on bread. Its good on chili, tacos, enchiladas, in salads, chocolate pudding.......and oh guacamole too.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeebear57
Stats: 214/192/136
WOE: LC/JUUDD
Start Date: restart 10/1/2013
avocado can be used in place of mayo,mash add S&P or the famous guac..so yum
coffeebear57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
MMMM avocados. I love them! I ONLY buy Haas though - the pebbly-skinned, almost black ones. You want it to just give to thumb pressure up near the stem (the pointy end) - you can pick out that little piece of stem and if it's still bright green in there, AND gives a bit to pressure - it's ready!

My fave ways - quartered the same way that Galveston Gal does, the sprinkled first with fresh lime juice, then red sea salt; or halved, pitted, don't bother to peel, put a blop of mayo in the cavity and eat with a spoon. We also love it cut into chunks and serve atop numerous items - it's a great creamy offset to things like chili, butter chicken, etc. as well as in salads. And of course there is guacamole - and as many recipes for it as people who make it! Scooped up with pork rinds - it's so good.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Oops the numbers I posted are for 1/2 avocado. Sorry
Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
I'm a weirdo, I hate the taste and texture of avocados, but love guacamole!
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #18
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm, I love avocados. All the ways mentioned plus more I'm sure. If I can't figure out what to bring for lunch I just throw one in the bag. I sprinkle a little packet of sea salt with a smigde of pepper that they have at the food court part of Whole Foods and it is perfect.

I only buy them from Costco. Plan ahead because they are green in the store. I leave them in the fruit bowl until they are juuuust right, them put them in the fridge. They'll keep several more days.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
I like mine with just salt and a spoon. My husband puts salad dressing in the seed well. You could also put tuna/chicken salad in the seed well. My mother used to mash it with mayo, salt and pepper and spread it on bread. Its good on chili, tacos, enchiladas, in salads, chocolate pudding.......and oh guacamole too.
Oh okay that sounds like a good idea especially the mix with mayo part. okay I'll give them another try. I never thought to add salt or pepper when I first tasted it, I just ate it the way it was maybe that's why it was so yucky to me. I'll try it with salt, pepper and mayo. I'm a mayo lover, mayo makes everything taste better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm, I love avocados. All the ways mentioned plus more I'm sure. If I can't figure out what to bring for lunch I just throw one in the bag. I sprinkle a little packet of sea salt with a smigde of pepper that they have at the food court part of Whole Foods and it is perfect.

I only buy them from Costco. Plan ahead because they are green in the store. I leave them in the fruit bowl until they are juuuust right, them put them in the fridge. They'll keep several more days.
What color should they be when they are ripe? The one I tried might not have been ripe either. LOL
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Be sure to get the darker California, or Mexico Avocados. NOT the pretty light green Florida grown ones. I like them when the skin just begins to give a little. You can buy them firm and keep them in the fridge. I set one on the counter to ripen for a day or two.
Salt and a spoon. Yum.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post

What color should they be when they are ripe? The one I tried might not have been ripe either. LOL
Dark, dark green. So dark it looks black. I go by feel though to tell when they're ripe. When you hold it in your hand and push with your thumb and it should give a little. If it feels like there is any space between the skin and flesh it is too ripe.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Get the ugly ones, not the pretty ones.
I've also read that if you pop the stem cap off and it is still green underneath it is still good.
I buy mine at an Asian grocery here and have never gotten a bad one. All of the other groceries here seem to keep them on the shelf until they sell. Too hit and miss at a buck a piece.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
I'm not into avocados but my kids love them. I've made this and they have swooned:

Mexican chicken-avocado casserole

Saute a bit of chopped onion in butter or oil. Add shredded cooked chicken from a rottissiere chicken. Heat and add a half cup or so of cream or half and half. Heat, then add 6 ounces of an 8 ounce bag of cheddar cheese or another cheese of your choice, along with half a block of cream cheese. Simmer together, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts. Add tabasco or cayenne if you like. I often add a half cup of hot salsa because we like spice. Next layer slices of 3 to 4 ripe avocados in the bottom of your buttered casserole dish. Spoon the chicken on top of the avocados. Top with the rest of the cheese. Bake around 375 for 20 minutes until bubbly. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
Is it safe to eat an avocado per day?
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Yes, avocado Must have salt.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
I eat a lot of avocado. I add them to everything LC!

I will usually have half a chopped up avocado in my salad at lunchtime. Sometimes I add half an avocado as a side dish at dinner time.

For breakfast, mashed avocado with salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and a little garlic is delicious on an oopsie roll with butter... I swear, you will think you've gone to heaven!!!!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I've sliced one up onto a piece of foil, dabbed the top with pizza sauce, topped it with mozzarella, and broiled it. Yum! I used the lowest carb pizza sauce I could find. Also, mash one up, and roll it into a LC tortilla, when you reach the stage where that is "allowed".
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
When I'm stuck for a lunch to bring to work, I sometimes just grab an avocado and 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream. Peel and mash together, + salt makes a tasty lunch.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee View Post
Is it safe to eat an avocado per day?
Atkins says 1/2 avocado daily. The problem then is what to do with the other half without it going brown. There are many "tricks" to keep it from turning brown......lime juice squirted on surface and wrapping tightly with saran wrap (I think this works the best), keeping the pit in and covering with saran wrap, making guacamole with the pit in the bowl (old wives tale, though some will swear by it), scraping off the top brown part (still green underneath) and I'm sure more.

When it turns brown/gray, I find it very unappealing, regardless of taste, so I like to use up the whole avocado at once. Glad hubby loves them too.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Show Foods

The link is to the USDA food database.
I confess...I'm OCD...so portion size is curious with avocado...so I weigh them.

There are the BIG WONDERFUL Haas variety...which 1/2 of = about 100grams.
Then there are the little Mexican variety...which after pealing + pitting...comes to about 100grams...with no leftover to turn brown.
...that is the reason I eat the small ones...

The Haas are so yummy...seem to have higher water content to me...always over $1.
The Mexican variety seem more dense, creamy...usually $0.50.
But I love all of them...
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote