LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Tired

Hi

Ok, so I have switched to low carb and low fat in days and feel like I am crashing. However, I did have 2 huge tablespoons of pb which might have contributed to my fatigue today after the gym

I just dont know if I should stick with ultra low carb or try to incorporate more.

I am really tired and want it to go away. Any thoughts?

Maybe I am not eating enough, but I want to lose 7 lbs before I go to Vegas for spring break.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Low fat is unwise. Ultra low carb is tolerated better by some bodies than others, but my suspicion is that you're trying to lose too abruptly for your body (remember, you're not much overweight - that requires a more gradual and protracted approach to not hit the wall) and would benefit from a smaller deficit that stayed consistent.

What do your current menus look like?
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes, I cant eat until 1 or 2. Salad with proteins, low carb veggies (olive oil, nuts), dinner is late afer work 9 sometimes. Salad again with protein.

I cut back on the fats because i was overeating on oils and nuts, feeling so lethargic.

I def cant eat in the am..

I need to figure this out. Maybe low fat is not the option for me but when I tried high fat, I was even worse???

Hope someone can help me with this! I feel like it is possible that maybe a probiotic would help. what do you think?

should I get some grass fed beef and just go for it???
Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
You've posted a lot lately. One of them said something about your friends think that you think about what you eat too much. I think they are trying to tell you something, and you may not hear them. With all due respect and out of pure concern, you are obsessing about this and it's borderline mentally unhealthy. Stick with one thing and wait. The SMALL amount of weight you have to take off is going to take serious time- not a couple of days. YOU ARE NOT FAT. Once again, you need to give yourself more LOVE and CREDIT. Maybe go for a massage, get your toes painted, something to make you see how beautiful you are and takes attention away from what you think you are.

Good luck. *hugs*
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I think, respectfully, you need to stop winging it and go with an established low carb plan. Pick one - Atkins, Protein Power, Dukan, even South Beach. They are all formulated specifically and balance out energy from various macros in a particular way. It sounds like trying to do low carb your way is leading to more problems than it is solving.

Some folks can just do ad lib salads, meat, nuts, under a certain carb gram count per day and lose fine. But many need a more structured and intentional approach. I personally think going Atkins induction and then up the ongoing weight loss rungs and premaintenance will help you lose and figure out what foods you can handle and which ones cause you problems. But really anything that has some structure and planning by someone who understands the whys and wherefores of the dietary specifics is going to go well for you.

Tweaking is often more hyped than the reality turns out. Sometimes just picking a plan and living by its rules is the very wisest thing you can do.

With your menu I can't tell anything - weighed/measured amounts, composition of foods in the salad, size of protein, total ANYTHING. I did ask for your menu but should have been more specific - there's no real data there and that is what would be required to help you further

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I would second the suggestion to find a plan and foliow it because you seem rather confused. You mention 'ultra low carb' but in the same post you talk about nuts and peanut butter. That's not 'ultra' low carb by any means.

Then you say that you're doing 'low fat,' but you mention olive oil--and again the nuts. That's not very low fat either.

You are probably not eating enough, based on some of your other posts, which may be why you are feeling 'tired.'

You may make yourself ill if you don't follow a healthy eating plan.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I would second the suggestion to find a plan and foliow it because you seem rather confused. You mention 'ultra low carb' but in the same post you talk about nuts and peanut butter. That's not 'ultra' low carb by any means.

Then you say that you're doing 'low fat,' but you mention olive oil--and again the nuts. That's not very low fat either.

You are probably not eating enough, based on some of your other posts, which may be why you are feeling 'tired.'

You may make yourself ill if you don't follow a healthy eating plan.
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies and posts. I think there is much to say here:

1- I AM CONFUSED. lol
2- I think I need to find a plan and stick to it, correctly.
3- I dont think trying new foods is good for me right now. I had some butter this evening ( kerrygold) and felt a little sick. I had some roasted veggies with grill tuna, nuts.

I really am not sure which is best but I know I have to decide on one thing and just stick to it. The only thing that is consistent is: no gluten, no dairy and I try to keep carbs at least below 30g. Perhaps I am not even reaching that goal.

Patience I guess.

Tomorrow I will start back with just keeping it low carb and not stress. I do think that can
make eating even more complicated.

thanks again.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I just wanted to add that I think low carb/less than 20 g was when I felt the most energetic and not so weighed down with food.

Perhaps, just switching my eating patterns and not so much the food. For example, try to eat smaller portions but not eat late at night like I was doing before. Also, I just read alot about eating too many vegetables is not good/healthy anyhow.

I think I was overeating on the lettuce and all crucerifous veggies causing bloating, irritability and constipation.

I will figure this out. I think focusing on trying to love myself and ACCEPT me for me is key here. Also, low carb is about patience as well. So many of my friends keep telling me to eat more carbs, but I have to stick to what feels right for me. I really appreciate being able to relate to others who understand that FAT is not BAD.

I will try to give myself some credit, I am getting my PhD, working part time, working out 6 days a week, and I am a TA. Duh.. no wonder I am exhausted. Plus, totally by myself. Well, I have some friends, but not family support.

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I"d highly recommend Atkins, the 2002 'Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution" or older versions. Also look into "Protein Power" by the Eades. Both avoid moralizing food (something of a flaw with most paleo plans) and can be done dairy free if needed. Follow them by the book and if you wish don't add back in carbs beyond your comfort.

I did Atkins ongoing weight loss for months while going up the rungs in food selection, but keeping my overall carbs lower (35-45 net was kind of my max in a normal day). It worked very well.

Those are two of my favorite plans, but there are others around here.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Arctic- thank you. I am ordering them tonight. I was reflecting on my journey and what I see is that I was most alert, happy, high energy and definitely improved on my cognitive abilities when I stayed higher in fats. I think I need it.. especially in this program for heavens sake.

I will look into these books for sure. Tomorrow I will stay under 20 and really increase my fat to see if this makes a difference. It could have been the dairy that threw me off this week.. who knows. Sometimes, it is not about food. Hope that makes sense.

Also, not going to worry about the weight this week. So be it if I gain a few lbs, maybe I need it
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I will figure this out. I think focusing on trying to love myself and ACCEPT me for me is key here. Also, low carb is about patience as well. So many of my friends keep telling me to eat more carbs, but I have to stick to what feels right for me. I really appreciate being able to relate to others who understand that FAT is not BAD.

This is probably the most important bit of advice you've given yourself. I read a study recently that said when men would generally think they looked 10-15 pounds less than they actually were, while women thought they looked 10-15 pounds heavier.

I would stick to a WOE that you feel you can stick to long term...and then just be patient. Those last few pounds could take *months*. In the meantime, keep reminding yourself that you're still at a healthy weight...even if it's not the weight you are willing to accept and, again, be patient.

If you're happy eating under 20gm of carbs, then that's what you should do. If you feel you need more, then go with that. I absolutely would not cut the fat. If you haven't done it yet, I'd run your stats through one of the many online calculators to see what calories you should be eating for your current weight vs the weight you want. I think you'll find they're so close that it will take a long time to come up with the deficit to lose that last few pounds...and that's ok. It just means you need to be patient...or accept the weight you're at.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Today was a rough day. I went to buy clothes and my chest is bigger than I thought. Had to get a new bra.. but I was so disgusted with myself. My shape is changing maybe cause of age, increased carbs ( had blueberries and some starchy vegetables) yesterday.

I am just so disappointed in my efforts to maintain health but my stomach is much bigger than I thought. Maybe I just need to go up a size in clothes, but I am not sure... I cant understand this weight issue.

I read somewhere that eating alot of chicken can cause hormonal imbalances and weight gain. Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyhow, today I had a salad with tuna and egg at lunch ( 1 tablespoon of olive oil). Was so full... had 5 walnuts. 2

Dinner wasnt until 830- small filet of salmon, 2 oz of chicken and 3 kerrygold packets of butter. Is that bad? all that butter??I kept thinking well its better than the carbs. Also, steamed broc and broc slaw ( maybe 1 cup total).

I just dont know what to eat or not eat anymore.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better because I am literally busting out of my jeans which is sad when I workout and dont eat much unhealthy foods.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Do your reading, it will clarify. If you're only eating two meals per day that dinner sounds fine to me. Patience until the book(s) come and then apply your mental energy to making one of those plans your default. Until then, don't stress about it. And yes, time can change the distribution of one's fat (hormones, really) even if weight doesn't change. I store differently now, after baby #4, than I did after baby #3, and I'm still in my twenties. My thyroid has changed, too. All these things can affect weight loss.

Don't stress about the chicken. Life is too short to split such hairs!