LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: baileychristine
Stats: 256/235/180
WOE: Low Carb, Moderate Fat
Start Date: January 2014
What would you consider a stall??

How long would you go without losing weight before you decided you were stalled??

And what would be your first course of action, i.e what would you eliminate from your diet?

I have this fear of stalling and my body stopping losing weight before I get to my goal. But I have 40+lbs to lose before I am even at a somewhat healthy weight, so surely my body wouldnt stop before I almost got there right? Dont you have to be almost near goal before stalls happen?

In case you can't tell, I'm fairly new at this!! lol
I appreciate any kind advice

baileychristine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Stalls can happen at any time. But, generally it's less common at the beginning so I woul;dn't worry about it yet.

If my weight loss stopped or slowed down I didn't consider it a stall if I was eating off plan stuff, too much food, or just generally messing about. A real stall to me is if you are doing everything and you are not losing. Kind of how Dr. Atkins said that don't think you are metabolically resistant or that you have a hard time losing weight if you are cheating or eating way too much.

And,a week or two without weight loss is a stall to me. I would first look at everything that I was eating and the portions.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 03-02-2014 at 09:09 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Welcome!

I suggest you not worry about things that haven't happened. It is a waste of time and energy.

A real stall is defined as six weeks without change in both weight and inches. If you are losing inches but the scale is not moving it is not a stall because you are definitely losing fat. So be sure to take baseline measurements & then recheck them regularly. Once a month is what most of us tend to do.

Stalls can happen at any time and there are many reasons for them. Most stalls are caused by the foods we eat - the quality of food, the amount, etc. Most people have an idea what food(s) might be causing the problem. Eliminating only one thing at a time is best. That way you can tell if it is a problem. If you eliminate more than one thing you won't know which is causing the problem.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-02-2014 at 09:24 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BrookJay
Stats: Which time?! High of 243. Low of 142.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 4, 2002
My longest stall was about 13 weeks. For the first several weeks of it, I spun myself in circles trying to bust through it. I panicked. I finally figured out that I can only do what I can do: eat right, exercise, take supplements, drink water - and the rest will follow.

And it did.

Sometimes it's just way better for both your physical and mental health to drop the "sprint" mentality and settle in for the marathon. At least it's true for me.

I wish you success!
~Brook
BrookJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Welcome!

I suggest you not worry about things that haven't happened. It is a waste of time and energy.

A real stall is defined as six weeks without change in both weight and inches. If you are losinng inches but the scale is not moving it is not a stall because you are definitely losing fat. So be sure to take baseline measurements & then recheck them regularly. Once a month is what most of us tend to do.

Stalls can happen at any time and there are many reasons for them. Most stalls are caused by the foods we eat - the quality of food, the amount, etc. Most people have an idea what food(s) might be causing the problem. Eliminating only one thing at a time is best. That way you can tell if it is a problem. If you eliminate more than one thing you won't know which is causing the problem.
I agree with Deb. I would only add that if you decide to make restrictions too soon, you end up making your woe possibly unnecessarily restrictive. It is going to be a life long adventure and you want to have as much flexibility as possible.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

A real stall is defined as six weeks without change in both weight and inches. If you are losing inches but the scale is not moving it is not a stall because you are definitely losing fat. So be sure to take baseline measurements & then recheck them regularly
I agree! Take the measurements, because we often lose inches without seeing a change on the scale...I measured my arms, chest, waist, hips, butt and thighs, and seeing small changes in my measurements always kept me feeling positive!
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I expect to see a good 5-7 pound drop after my period. Usually, I lose very little all month, then I get my period and drop all the month's weight!

Honestly I would definitely feel stalled if I didn't get at least a 3 pound drop in a month.

I *personally* would change something. Usually dropping dairy starts me losing again right away, but the food isn't as fun then unfortunately!! There are many who say they wouldn't change anything.

Some foods I KNOW stall me: all nuts except almonds, too much avocado, (I'm allergic to walnuts), dairy, and artificial sweeteners other than Truvia.

Last edited by moonmirror; 03-05-2014 at 01:45 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote