Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I dont get it.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824683-i-dont-get.html)

baileychristine 03-01-2014 10:41 AM

I dont get it....
 
20lbs down as of today, which is great. :jumpjoy:

The issue I am having is none of my clothes fit differently, I am still in the same clothes I have been in, regardless of the 20lb loss. So this also means no inches lost.

Can anyone explain this??? And maybe give me an idea when I'll notice a change??:dunno:

nolcjunk 03-01-2014 10:50 AM

In my case it was because I was stuffed like a sausage into my highest weight clothes because I refused to buy bigger sizes. So even when I started losing weight they still fit but weren't as super tight as before and I wore them for a while from skin tight to normal to loose.

mayleesa 03-01-2014 10:52 AM

omg I have the SAME PROBLEM!!!!!! I wrote this last week in my challenge thread....I'm wearing the same jeans as I did at 209...have been wearing sweatpants for the past 2 months cause its freakin cold!!! slipped on my size 18s thinking hey this will be awesome cause they'll be loose... NOPE~ not at ALL....still tight still nasty and still muffin top.....hang in there girl it has to get better right!?! 20lbs down and all to show for it is skinny ankles and wrist

Momto2boysNJ 03-01-2014 12:14 PM

I'd blame memory loss. Go find pictures of you in those clothes, I bet the fit differently.

Janknitz 03-01-2014 12:25 PM

I lost 70 pounds and I'm still wearing just one size lower in pants. It's frustrating, but my belly is still big (despite cutting out ALL grains!). The pants are so baggy in the legs. I bought matching threads and I'm trying to get the courage to take in the pants at the inner seams.

My legs and arms are downright skinny, but the middle is still huge. And I have a little bit of a flap of flabby fat like a deflated balloon--looks like the people on Biggest Looser who get tummy tucks, but about 1/10th of what they have to deal with (slow, steady weight loss helps, I think).

I am still wearing many clothes baggy. I think I would look thinner with smaller clothes. My daughter did talk me into buying size 18 to 20 tops (X-large)--that's down from 3X which were getting tight. But I still need 2X pants because of the waist. And I like things looser rather than tight.

This has been an almost 3 year journey for me so far. Each season I buy a few new things in a smaller size, but I cannot afford to replace my entire wardrobe.

Arctic_Mama 03-01-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16820055)
In my case it was because I was stuffed like a sausage into my highest weight clothes because I refused to buy bigger sizes. So even when I started losing weight they still fit but weren't as super tight as before and I wore them for a while from skin tight to normal to loose.

Yeah, this. :o

My biggest size was a tight 24 and in reality I was probably a 26, but my body shape and delusion allowed me to squeeze into them. I also kept wearing maternity tops (I was postpartum with my second child, about four months, and definitely needed to be out of those tops but they glided over my fat nicely). And in those higher sizes it takes a lot of inches lost to change a size in comparison to smaller sizes, so that's part of it, too.

Madmarsha 03-01-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16820157)
I lost 70 pounds and I'm still wearing just one size lower in pants. It's frustrating, but my belly is still big (despite cutting out ALL grains!). The pants are so baggy in the legs. I bought matching threads and I'm trying to get the courage to take in the pants at the inner seams.

My legs and arms are downright skinny, but the middle is still huge. And I have a little bit of a flap of flabby fat like a deflated balloon--looks like the people on Biggest Looser who get tummy tucks, but about 1/10th of what they have to deal with (slow, steady weight loss helps, I think).

I am still wearing many clothes baggy. I think I would look thinner with smaller clothes. My daughter did talk me into buying size 18 to 20 tops (X-large)--that's down from 3X which were getting tight. But I still need 2X pants because of the waist. And I like things looser rather than tight.

This has been an almost 3 year journey for me so far. Each season I buy a few new things in a smaller size, but I cannot afford to replace my entire wardrobe.

This is so me. My stomach allows my bigger sizes to not fall off (tho I can pull them off without undoing them) my waist while my legs easily fit into MUCH smaller sizes up to my mid section. Frustrating but does keep me motivated till hopefully one day I get a big whoosh out of nowhere. I am losing like crazy in my boobs and thighs.

gotsomeold 03-01-2014 02:05 PM

The same clothing fit me for the first 29 pounds and I don't remember how many inches. One day, all of my clothes were too big. After that, sizes changed so fast I never got to wear some of the 'too small now, will fit soon' clothes I bought. (I buy at thrift stores mostly, so that did not hurt as badly as it might have.)

I can't explain it. But, I am proof it happens.

JanetA 03-01-2014 03:15 PM

Same for me as with some others. I'm still wearing the same pants, because I think I was stuffing myself into them to avoid going to the next size. They do feel better, but I'm nowhere near ready for the next size down. From experience, when I can actually wear a size smaller, that's when other people will begin to notice that I've lost weight.

Madmarsha 03-02-2014 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16820250)
The same clothing fit me for the first 29 pounds and I don't remember how many inches. One day, all of my clothes were too big. After that, sizes changed so fast I never got to wear some of the 'too small now, will fit soon' clothes I bought. (I buy at thrift stores mostly, so that did not hurt as badly as it might have.)

I can't explain it. But, I am proof it happens.

Nancy, this is very encouraging. Did your belly disappear eventually, too, or was this not a problem area for you?

gotsomeold 03-02-2014 05:21 AM

The belly part was nice. I began LCHF looking like I was eight months gone. My tummy shrank very quickly - like in a few weeks. That has become one of my barometers for health - when my IR increased last Fall, my tummy swelled. Now that my BG is stable, I border on being concave.

I still have signs of visceral fat though (need to up the exercise ante). (In the pic, I'm the one on the right.)

Trigger828 03-02-2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16820055)
In my case it was because I was stuffed like a sausage into my highest weight clothes because I refused to buy bigger sizes. So even when I started losing weight they still fit but weren't as super tight as before and I wore them for a while from skin tight to normal to loose.



THIS! I refused to buy bigger also. what I had was TIGHT.

QueenBacon 03-02-2014 06:49 AM

I want to say hang in there. When I was at my biggest size (20 to 22) clothes took forever to shrink out of. I feel like I wore my size 20s for 40ish pounds then dropped down to an 18 forever too! But then as I got to smaller pounds clothes sizes are at smaller intervals like 5 to 10 lbs... that sucks too though, because think of it you go off plan gain a couple of pounds your clothes don't fit and you freak out... clothes suck lol

clackley 03-02-2014 07:23 AM

In the larger sizes, it takes about 30 lbs. lost before the fit is changes down. You also may have lost in places other than waist, hips and bust (which is where clothing fitting comes in). I know for myself, I lost off my face and neck initially. They say the last fat gained, is the first fat lost....

Congrats on your first 20lbs!!!

misty1028 03-02-2014 07:28 AM

I went through the same thing but then all of a sudden I started seeing a difference. A nutritionist once explain to me that women lose from the top down and gain from the bottom up so it takes awhile.

baileychristine 03-02-2014 09:52 AM

Thank you all for your kind words!! I am a size 21 currently, and my pre-pregnancy jeans were 16/18.

I also wonder if because I am 5'11" if that has anything to do with it. Taller people carry their weight better because it can distribute more. But it might be because it takes longer to see a weight gain, perhaps it takes longer to see a loss.

I know I just need to keep on going! It will be so nice when I can actually see a difference in my body and clothes.

chipmunkis 03-02-2014 03:57 PM

I am a firm believer in two things...#1, take a picture at the start and throughout your weightloss journey, wearing a bathing suit of something similar. You will notice small changes more readily..and #2, take measurements- arms, chest, tummy, hips, butt and thighs- you may be losing inches in an all-over way that doesn't translate to a clothing size change, and you'll know it's working!

Hang in there!

Barbie83 03-05-2014 08:34 AM

Congrats on your 20 pound loss! I would suggest taking pictures (if you havent already), sans clothing. You'll see the difference. Clothes suck.

Let me tell you....i lost 52 pounds in 06 and went from a jeans size 18 to a.....

drumroll please....

16! :confused:

at first i was super frustrated

HOWEVER...i realized I appeared much smaller, shapelier and sexier. My face was prettier. Its just these darn hips (thanks Mom). Trust me, your body is changing!!

Barbie83 03-05-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileychristine (Post 16821072)
Thank you all for your kind words!! I am a size 21 currently, and my pre-pregnancy jeans were 16/18.

I also wonder if because I am 5'11" if that has anything to do with it. Taller people carry their weight better because it can distribute more. But it might be because it takes longer to see a weight gain, perhaps it takes longer to see a loss.

I know I just need to keep on going! It will be so nice when I can actually see a difference in my body and clothes.

This is VERY true for me. On the one hand, you can get away with a little weight gain while wearing your same clothes and no one is the wiser (plus you can carry more weight in general and still look good). But on the other hand, you're gonna have to WORK for visible results when you're losing. That's why taking pictures is soooo important for us. You may have peeled off 30 or more pounds before anyone else notices. but at least YOU'LL know :)

natural_born_texan 03-05-2014 09:23 AM

This is a great post. I always thought it was just me that went through this!

ValentineC 03-05-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileychristine (Post 16820037)
20lbs down as of today, which is great. :jumpjoy:

The issue I am having is none of my clothes fit differently, I am still in the same clothes I have been in, regardless of the 20lb loss. So this also means no inches lost.

Can anyone explain this??? And maybe give me an idea when I'll notice a change??:dunno:

Your description of not going down a dress size with a 20 lb loss fits me to a tee. I think it is all relative to each person’s body type, height and how our weight is distributed.

I could weigh anywhere from 190 to 215 and still wear a size 14 pant, I would need to weigh 185 or less to wear size 12 pants…weighed this much in 1996 after dieting with a co-worker and walking for an hour after work.

In addition, I am top heavy, spare tire, big boobs and all, 1x or 2x on top, but smaller on the bottom size 14.

Keep at it, and wait to buy a smaller size when they truly fit.:sing:

earthcrosser 03-06-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipmunkis (Post 16821454)
I am a firm believer in two things...#1, take a picture at the start and throughout your weightloss journey, wearing a bathing suit of something similar. You will notice small changes more readily..and #2, take measurements- arms, chest, tummy, hips, butt and thighs- you may be losing inches in an all-over way that doesn't translate to a clothing size change, and you'll know it's working!

Hang in there!

I like this idea-it's hard, but looking at yourself with no clothes on - or in a bathing suit - will help you to really see the changes your body is going through. It's so hard to tell with clothes on, unless they're super form fitting.

And you will lose fat from EVERYwhere, and certainly it feels like the place you want to lose it from the most seems like the last place to slim down. :)

afurrything 03-07-2014 06:58 AM

Check out my gallery pictures. Lost about 60 lbs and wearing the same outfit. Can't wait to take a picture in this outfit when I hit my goal weight.
LOL ok so I just checked and I'm not wearing the same outfit. Will have to go find the during picture in that outfit and post it.

LindaM 03-09-2014 10:08 AM

I was wearing a size 20 at 175. Which is a larger than some people might wear at 175. I am 5' 1 and guess that's the reason. My pants are feeling loose and could probably buy a smaller size but I don't. I like them being lose make me feel good. So going to stick with them as long as possible.

tinamanni 03-09-2014 10:10 AM

I think we also miss some of the other areas of loss? How do your shoes fit? Your bra? (assuming you are female)

Look at these areas and consider how they are looking: feet, toes, ankles, hands, fingers, neck, shoulders, face, bust....

For me they are all significantly more bony and show weight loss faster than the rest of me

Madmarsha 03-09-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinamanni (Post 16829872)
I think we also miss some of the other areas of loss? How do your shoes fit? Your bra? (assuming you are female)

Look at these areas and consider how they are looking: feet, toes, ankles, hands, fingers, neck, shoulders, face, bust....

For me they are all significantly more bony and show weight loss faster than the rest of me

Oh, my bras are falling off of me. I am trying to muddle through because I don't know how the girls are going to "shake" out. I mean, I can watch sales and buy jeans 2 sizes smaller and know that eventually they'll fit; but I can't buy, say, a 34B and know that that will one day be my size. So sports bras are going to have to do in the meantime. Finding the correct bra size is always challenging anyway let alone with your body constantly changing.

I do feel more confident that a size 7 shoe will do whereas I had been buying some 7.5 or 8s. So my feet, ankles, toes are just how I love them.

However, I'm still waiting for my hands and fingers, neck, shoulders, and face to become "bony". It's really frustrating.

3kidsandasheltie 03-09-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16820055)
In my case it was because I was stuffed like a sausage into my highest weight clothes because I refused to buy bigger sizes. So even when I started losing weight they still fit but weren't as super tight as before and I wore them for a while from skin tight to normal to loose.

This was my problem also, took 40 pounds really before I noticed a huge change. Also, I found that plus size clothes took a lot more loss before I went down a size:dunno:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.