Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharon B
Average Weight loss to expect

I am new to this and have been sticking to a low-carb eating plan for the past two weeks, and have only lost 900 g - my ratio of nutrition ranges at about 60% fat, 10% carbs and 20% protein. I try not to have more than 20g of carbs daily. I was under the impression that my weight loss would be more significant . Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong . Would really appreciate any tips or assistance.
Sharon B is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
How much do you have to lose and what weight are you right now?
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I need to lose 45kg. I am at 125kg now
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

That's 275 lb and about 100 lb to lose! It's an awful lot, so the 2 lb in two weeks is not getting me excited...
Old 03-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Post your menu, but I'll add that it's a myth that the more you need to lose, the more weight comes off at the beginning.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Everyone's body responds in its own way. You can't control how fast you lose weight. You can only control what you eat. I lost weight more slowly than a lot of people who post here, but I lost weight.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
My average is still 9 lbs a month; but at 4 months in, that average is going down because what I'm losing now is 4 lbs a month. It would absolutely be defeating to most people who want/expect fast. Of course, I don't like it but it will eventually stand in good stead.

I may be closer to goal numbers wise than I think. Or at least I hope so. Because I'm hoping that the slower it goes, the more my body will change in the areas that I want. IOW, if I was losing fast, it may not give my body time enough to jettison that fat from the areas I want (my belly esp.). If I lose fast but keep losing from the areas that it's losing from now (legs and boobs), then I would need to lose a lot more making me probably look anything but the healthy way I want to look.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009

It appears that many people will lose around 8-12lbs. in the first 2 wks. but it is dependant on a # of factors - mostly how big are their glycogen stores?

Ratios are deceiving. You need to count the actual grams of food. Btw, the ratios you report are out of whack... you are missing 10% of something.

How were you eating prior to starting low carb?

Are you taking any meds?

How do you feel?

Could it be an issue of time of month?

Are you exercising and if so did you start at the same time or is it something that you normally do?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 03-02-2014 at 07:17 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Hi, Sharon B. First, which program are you attempting - and which phase? Also, a menu would help. The contents of the menu are critical.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You're setting yourself up for failure by putting expectations on your weight loss. Some people lose quickly. Some struggle for every pound...and they can be eating the exact same amount of calories, carbs, etc.

I just spent an hour and a half shoveling 8" of snow off a very long drive so my mental capacity to recalculate your percentages into something I can relate to isn't working ... but a good place to start is less than 25gm of carbs, 1gm of protein per kilo of *ideal* weight and make the balance of your calories in fat. Counting calories is up to you but many of us find it's necessary. If you're not losing, then it's the calories I'd look at lowering (or increase activity to use up the calories).

If you know you're doing it 'right'...logging foods so you know you don't have carb creep...so you aren't eating 3000+ calories...and not having 'cheats' (because that's where most people get into trouble on losing), then just be patient and accept your weight loss as 'it is what it is'.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
You're setting yourself up for failure by putting expectations on your weight loss. Some people lose quickly. Some struggle for every pound...and they can be eating the exact same amount of calories, carbs, etc.

That's the thing, we can't tell you how much weight loss to expect in what amount of time. It depends on so many confounding factors--your starting weight, your metabolic status, your macro intake, your physical condition, your degree of activity, your degree of stress, the amount of sleep you get, the types of food you choose to eat, etc., etc., etc.

Low calorie diet gurus will tell you that if you cut your calories by X you will lose Y weight in Z amount of time. But come on, you've been there and done that, was it true? At least low carb recognizes that it's not realistic to predict from one person to the next.

You haven't stated what plan you are on, but low carb plans work because they make changes to your metabolism, allowing you to burn fat as your body's primary fuel source instead of sugar. They are based on the theory that too many carbs raise your insulin levels which cause you to store fat. So for a low carb diet to work, your metabolism has to change over to fat as fuel. It takes time.

Also, usually someone at your weight will lose a LOT of water right at first (6 to 10 to 15 lbs is not unusual) because when you really lower the carbs your glycogen stores become depleted. (Understand I don't know your height, and that might make a difference, so I'm just speculating here). Each gram of glycogen carries with it 4 grams of water. So 80% of the first two weeks of loss is probably water weight. You lost just shy of 2 lbs of water weight, and 2 lbs altogether, which is not very much. That tells me that either you were already reducing carbs before starting, you exercise heavily and regularly deplete your glycogen stores, OR maybe you didn't really lower your carbs as much as you thought (which is why you've been asked to post your menu). It could also be that you have something else going on, i.e. possibly thyroid or kidney issues.

If you find you just can't lose after trying for several weeks, Dr. Atkins proposes a "fat fast", outlined in his book, designed to determine if you are truly metabolically resistant. If that's the case, you need a good medical work up for your thyroid, pituitary, kidneys, adrenals, and to check for diabetes. Most people WILL lose on the fat fast because it's ketogenic.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone . Thanks for your replies. My height is 5"11. A typical menu would be as follows: 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast. 50g cheese and about 5 cheery tomatoes. Lunch: chicken fillet, nuts, salad or veggies . Supper: chicken / meat with veggies ( mostly green veggies) I am keeping track of everything I eat on a tracker, and will sometimes snack on beef jerky , nuts or cucumber. I am not really following any plan, just tracking the amount of cards I eat , although I have bought. Prof. Tim Noakes' book, the real meal revolution and follow some of his principles. I should probably just keep going and be patient, something's gotta give! I don't do exercise, so maybe That will kickstart my metabolism ?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
I think a few factors already mentioned are more key than others.

1. Purity of the LC. I recently started Jan 2 at 240 lbs or so. I dropped to 215 in about 3 weeks. I then found carb quik, and my weight loss slowed dramatically (whether it was just a stall or something I introduced), and then atkins bars. Slowed again. In the following three weeks I only lost about 8 lbs or so, which in and of itself is NOT at all bad, just not my typical loss, which brings me to #2.

2. Metabolism/Gender. I am a man, who all through HS and college was very active and couldn't put on weight if I tried. late 20s, still solid and 175lb or so (im a pretty big build). Then I got married, lazy, travel for work etc and packed it on up to 250. Like I said above, since Jan 2, 2 months now, im down to 198. so 42 lbs lost. That is not typical, but for me, it is. It would have been more had I stuck to PURE LC foods instead of adding in crap for three weeks.

3. Activity level. Ties in to other factors of course, but obviously the more you move the better. I have done ZERO exercise in the last 2 months, and dropped a lot, but everyone cant get away with that.

One thing I have learned big time is that everyones body is SOOOOO different. What stalls someone may not stall others. What works for some, doesn't for others.
I know now what works for me is EXTREMELY low carb (15 or less) and pure LC foods, not crap. If I deviate, my weight loss slows down.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
If the above were an Atkins menu, I would eliminate the nuts and jerky to start. That should help push things along.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote