Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
what do you think about not eating if you are not hungry?

Lowcarb kills my appetite. I had some coffee this morning with a few tbs coconut milk, and about a tbs hwc. Didn't eat until after 4pm, and I had no hunger at all. I had about a 1/3 lb hamburger patty with a little cheese, a handful of pumpkin seeds in the shell, splurged on a small banana, then I was full all evening and now its 11pm.

I guess after typing all that out, it looks like a normal day's calories?

Its just interesting how my body seems to be able to run on itself if I don't feed it an SAD diet or alcohol! Are many of you able to fast all day? It feels natural and comfortable to me.
moonmirror is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
Many days I am not hungry, many, a bite now and then across the day is enough, others, 3-4 meals across the day, some days I could eat everything in sight.
Yesterday, I forgot to eat until almost 1PM, had less than 1/4 can of tuna with olive oil and a cup of bpcocoa, and nibbled on a fat bomb throughout the day. About 4PM I had a Church's chicken thigh, planning to have shrimp later, and forgot to. It helps to be involved, busy, somehow.
You're right, AFAIC, it IS nice to not be hungry all the time.
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think it is fine to not eat if not hungry with a caveat. I would not want it to be 'chronic' (i.e. day after day after day). And when hunger does return, be sure to eat a good meal.

Yesterday I did have 2 bpc (which is nutrition in the form of fat) but did not eat until almost 7 in the evening. That was a 24 hour fast.

My reasoning about 'chronic' under eating is that it may serve to down regulate a person's metabolism and that is counter productive to weight loss. My reasoning for fasting is to hopefully encourage the use of fat stores. While no food energy (or very little) is coming in, hopefully the body will use the stored energy (i.e. fat).

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Hey moonmirror, I think it's important to listen to your body, if you're hungry eat, if not, don't. Just don't starve yourself.

I only eat one time a day. If I try to eat 3 or 4 meals a day, I am hungry all day long -- weird. But that's how it is with me. I find too that some days I'm super hungry and others, not so much -- I don't force myself to eat a lot on the days I'm not so hungry and I try not to over do it on days that I am. But I always make sure that everything I eat is ultra-low carb or carb-free. Wishing you much success in your low-carb journey!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
oh yea I can easily go all day without eating.

I have BAB days and I have no eating til about 2-3-4pm some days.

I eat when hungry. No more eating when I don't want anything. That is one of the things that got me here having to lose weight

I have no scheduled eating. I eat when I want and don't worry if I don't.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Once you're "fat adapted" you may not need to eat so frequently. It's perfectly OK to skip meals if you don't feel badly for doing so.

Be careful not to let your daily caloric intake to fall too low, or you may slow your metabolism and mess up your thyroid. Eat heartily at other meals.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
The boomerang can be killer with that, be careful. I agree it is important to listen to hunger cues, but light eating for too long can cause major rebound appetite issues. I've struggled with that ravenous feeling and fortunately if you balance the light days and ravenous days most of us still lose just fine. But as advised by others, when you eat make sure it is solid, nutritious fare and don't skimp. Then stop when you're satisfied.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
My fasting happens mostly because I'm at work all day 3 times a week; when I'm home I do eat more. I suppose I'm just surprised at how little I feel I need to eat. I much prefer this to the alternative plus I am losing weight very well!
moonmirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katy
Stats: 299/279/150
WOE: Primal Blueprint 80/20
Start Date: Restart 12/29/13 at 290.5 lbs
I eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm thirsty. conventional wisdom wants us to eat 3-6 times a day depending on who you listen to and drink 8 glasses of water. I've started listening to my body. At work I keep a water bottle of plain water with a little lime juice and sip it when I need it but don't worry about how much I drink. With food I pack a huge salad of romaine lettuce, brocolli, chicken, scrambled egg and bacon. I keep an emergency snack of nuts in my purse but I rarely eat more at work then the salad. I work 12:30 pm to 9pm so I eat at home before I go. Usually some full fat greek yogurt and berries early in the morning then scrambled eggs and sunflower seeds around 11 before I leave for work which might sounds strange but I feel good. I usually eat around 2-3 times a day. Some days I skip the early morning yogurt and just eat the late morning meal and the evening meal on my break at work which is around 4:30. Weekends are a little harder but eggs and protein and dense veggies keep me full longer.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Since I'm a diabetic and skipping a meal can actually result in higher blood sugars, I don't skip meals. If I'm not hungry, I'll just have a protein drink or a hard boiled egg, but I eat something.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
After over a year, I am still trying to find a balance between not eating when I am not hungry, and making sure I get enough protein to keep my lean body mass. It's hard for me, and I waver back and forth too much, honestly. I have a lifelong history of skipping meals, which hasn't been healthy for me, so that's something I try to be conscious of. It doesn't always work.

I get a hydrostatic body analysis every four months, so I can accurately see how my eating habits affect my efforts. In the time period before my most recent test, I was leaning more towards just not eating at all if I wasn't hungry, and I averaged several days per month when I ate very few calories, and more importantly, not near enough protein for my LBM. I think that was one of the biggest factors that led to me losing a bigger chunk of LBM than I ever had before.

That's not acceptable to me, so I'm back to keeping a closer eye on my protein intake, and at least having a small protein-heavy snack if I'm not hungry for a full meal.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I think I have to agree with Katy about listening to my body now...I eat when I am hungry but do eat for sure...I want let myself just skip all day not eating.....I don't think that is healthy even on LC ...I do not eat after 5:30 pm for now for I have not been hungry at night and no snacks of anykind but I am prepared it I was hungry and needed something LC...I do drink a diet coke or flavored water with no carbs at night only...I don't eat the LC bars or drink the protein drinks or fast at all...just not for me....I just eat for one day at a time...

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 03-01-2014 at 03:44 PM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
A lot of days, I don't get hungry in the morning & if I get busy... I could go to noon or beyond without eating. But once I start eating, then I start getting hungry on 'schedule'. I find it is better to eat a smaller reasonable meal mid morning, than to have my tummy wake up & eat meals too close together.
If I am busy, a couple of boiled eggs (Pre-boiled from deli) & a tea... help me control my eating later.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I lost most of my weight (and gained a lot of health) on JUDDD (alternate day fasting/very low cal). Sometimes I ate LC, sometimes moderate carbs. So, skipping meals is NBD for me.

I do find, if I take time to listen, my body is very good at telling me when I really, really need to eat.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I agree with the "listen to your body" group. I think most of us are here because we forgot to do that in the past. Eat when you are truly hungry, not because it's "time for lunch."
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Benjamin Franklin said "Eat to Live not Live to Eat". My Live to Eat days are behind me -- now I'm Eating to Live.

Last edited by Just Jo; 03-03-2014 at 03:50 AM..
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I wish I could just listen to my body, but sometimes it tells me to do things that are just plain crazy! I eat at least something at "meal time" because I'm afraid of my blood sugar getting out of whack, and maybe resulting in some overeating later.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #18
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
It is too easy for me to forget to eat and then go so long w/o food that I end up starving. I also have no desire to lose precious LBM. I know I need to eat enough to maintain it.

I have a long diet history and have done all kinds of meal plans. I was able to look back at what things worked the best for me as well as the longest. Eating three evenly spaced meals per day really works best for me so that is what I do. It is working great. The fat is melting away.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
So about this...I just started full on LC a week ago. I'm loving it so far, but you know, I'm still hungry a lot of the time. Or at least I think I am. I work in an office so I think I'm bored half the time, and I think about my diet and food a lot, especially since I'm continuing to do a lot of research about LC and paleo, etc...

I've been upping my fat intake with coconut oil, butter and avocado to see if that helps. I think I need to make sure I get a good dose of fat in the morning to help me make it past lunch. My biggest challenge is after work and before dinner-that's when I'm hungriest, but I've been successful at avoiding snacking before dinner so far. It's getting better, but I think I still need time for my body and brain to adjust to this new way of life.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I have days where I'm hungry all day, and nothing I eat changes that. I end up giving up and just trying to ignore the "hunger pangs" in my belly.

And then there are days when I have no appetite. I still do not have much of an appetite after being sick Monday and Tuesday. But I also find that the longer I watch what I eat, and eat smaller portions,etc, the less food I tend to "want" during a normal day. I enjoy being "satisfied" after eating what would have been just a small portion of a meal for me two months ago.
TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I rarely get appetite supression on low carb, but I'm fine with that. I eat somewhat on a schedule, but am flexible about it if I feel otherwise. The food I eat is very nutrient dense and very satifying, so I get that "properly fed" feeling. I wouldn't eat if I wasn't hungry unless there was a health reason to do so, such as feeling ill, losing LBM, etc.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote