Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I wasn't sure about family LCing with me... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824626-i-wasnt-sure-about-family-lcing-me.html)

Cherry Blossom 02-28-2014 12:57 PM

I wasn't sure about family LCing with me...

I have a 20 year old daughter and an 18 1/2 year old daughter that decided to LC with me. I wasn't sure I wanted them to LC with me because I thought it would be harder as they might want me to cook for them or tell them how many carbs things had in it etc...
I was wrong. It has been real fun finding recipes, taking turns cooking foods to have on hand, and a delight to see them drop weight and feel better for it. When we go in to town, we take wraps with us and ditch the hamburger buns for the wraps and have delicious hamburgers. It works out great! I don't think any of us feel deprived.
My girls inherited insulin resistance from my husbands' side. All their aunts are extremely obese and my husband fights his weight constantly.
My girls are 6'2" tall also. It is a challenge to be tall and big at the same time.
So far, in a months time, they have lost 10ish lbs each counting carbs loosly (7-20 per meal) . We decided together that we have to relax and let it become the way we always eat and not think of this woe in terms of a quitting date. That's why we decided to count the carbs loosley because we'll be doing this all the time now.
The weight is starting to fall off and I am sooo happy for them.
As a mother, it is so hard to watch the hurt they feel when treated differently in public because they are bigger. It also hurts to know they think they are never going to be attractive to a guy or that they can't participate in certain activities because of their weight. Especially when I know what wonderful girls they are.
Anyway, I feel happy for them and proud of them for this change they are making happen in their lives. LCing with them has become a happy family thing and they support me too. They're only going to look and feel better and better. Happy day! Just wanted to share.

snowmop 02-28-2014 01:11 PM

Thank you for a very nice, positive post!! Wishing you and your daughters all the best!

Mistizoom 02-28-2014 01:44 PM

That's great! I have found this WOE to be much easier with DH and I doing it together. We also try to have DS (age 11) eat moderate carbs as well, but not as strict as we are.

LindaM 02-28-2014 02:48 PM

This is such a sweet post. Your a great mother. They're lucky girls to have you. Teaching them how to accomplish a goal and be the best they can be.

ladyinlove56 02-28-2014 02:56 PM

Cherry ...I think it is great that you are doing this as a family...and I agree you must relax while you do this because it is the way you want to eat everyday for along time...It will happen...I know it will for me for I am on this journey too....I saw this money saving tip on facebook one day that is about a Money jar and you use your calendar to keep track of how much you put in the jar each week ...like the first week is $1.00 and the next is 2 and the next is three....so the first month I saved 15 dollars....now it will take the year to see what I will really have added to my jar but it will be nice to have...So the same thing is about losing our weight...Each month you will loss and see how much is the total at the end of the year....one day at a time is all I go...and only one time a month do I put money in that jar....So in the end..I will lose weight on my plan at my own pace and gain alittle spending money tooooo LOL...:) P.S. I find that journaling is good too here...it has helped me lots...and you all can add what you want to say together or alone...

Emily-D 02-28-2014 05:33 PM

That's great that you and your daughters are doing this together. Wishing all of you health and happiness.

shirlc 03-03-2014 07:20 AM

Wow, what a great post...best wishes to all of you!!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

JoanneO 03-03-2014 07:32 AM

Thank you for posting, great story !

snowangel9 03-03-2014 10:50 AM

Great post! I can totally relate. My youngest (23) is a 'big' girl too. She's had such a hard time accepting herself. We too are doing this together. I just want her to be healthy and happy. So I totally get what you are saying. Good job Mom! :up:

sbarr 03-03-2014 12:24 PM

Such a nice post....I enjoyed reading it!