Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Newbie
Egg Intolerance - Other Options?

Hello!

Brand new to the forum...stumbled upon it while googling different options for my newly developed egg intolerance. I am 30 and never had a problem eating eggs until recently. Now anytime I eat them for breakfast, I get very sick to my stomach later in the day. I went for an allergy test, however, I am not allergic to eggs, only intolerant. This brings me to the two questions I wanted to ask:

1. Has anyone else developed an egg intolerance and found a way around this to still be able to incorporate eggs into their diet? (I miss eggs VERY much!)

2. Are there any low carb/high protein breakfast options anyone can recommend in place of eggs? I am really struggling with this one.

Thank you so much!
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: baseballmom
Stats: 176/162.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 12/06/13
I think there are several others here that can't eat eggs. Hopefully they can help you out. Good luck
baseballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Were you checked for yolks and whites separately? I only ask because I've read that many people are allergic or intolerant to one or the other and not both.

I rarely eat eggs for breakfast because I need a lot of protein. I typically have salmon or tuna salad (just chopped celery and mayo) with my morning coffee. When I was working, this was easy to prepare the night before and eaten in the morning. No sometimes I have a bison burger.

I don't eat dairy, but cheese would be good, too, on that burger.

You don't have to eat 'breakfast food' for breakfast.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
This happened to me and I was really confused. I've eaten eggs all my life and now they make my stomach hurt the rest of the day if I have them. I'm 28 and didn't realize until this that you can just all of the sudden develop an allergy/intolerance to things. I just figured you were either born with it or not. I've switched to Atkins shakes most morning for breakfast or I have bacon or sausage by itself. It really does suck because eggs are such a huge part of low carb diets.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/198/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Sometimes I do get stomach cramps when I eat eggs, but not all the time. Maybe try a smaller portion of eggs, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you may have to stick with meats and/or protein shakes.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Too bad! Eggs can make me really nauseated, too. But not all the time. So I try to be cautious.
  • If I eat them too many meals/days in a row, they'll get me.
  • If I eat them with too much other fatty ingredients, they might get me.
  • Hard-boiled are the safest, probably because I'm not adding butter or mayo to the egg itself.
  • Eggs as an ingredient don't seem to bother me as much as when I eat them on their own.

It's not *that* hard to live without eggs, for me, but it is one more thing to limit on an already very limited eating plan .

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
Too bad! Eggs can make me really nauseated, too. But not all the time. So I try to be cautious.
  • If I eat them too many meals/days in a row, they'll get me.
  • If I eat them with too much other fatty ingredients, they might get me.
  • Hard-boiled are the safest, probably because I'm not adding butter or mayo to the egg itself.
  • Eggs as an ingredient don't seem to bother me as much as when I eat them on their own.

It's not *that* hard to live without eggs, for me, but it is one more thing to limit on an already very limited eating plan .
I seem to be the opposite. I do better when they are scrambled so I'm not having white or yolk by itself (haven't figured out which makes me sick.) I also seem to do better with added fat, like deviled eggs for instance. Eggs as an ingredient also don't seem to bother me as much either. When I first got sick and had to pull over and vomit violently I had eaten 3 basted eggs freid in bacon grease. The thought of eating a fried egg since then has been nauseating.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/161.9/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
Eggs (and gluten) trigger gallbladder attacks in me. I developed the intolerance a couple years ago, after being on/off a LC diet for most of my adult life. It seems ok if they're baked into something else, but I cannot eat them by themselves, and I also cannot have too many/too often no matter how they're cooked. It sucks because I love eggs too, and they've always been a staple for LC'ing.
My son had tested positive for egg intolerance (as well as wheat,gluten,soy, dairy and oranges) a couple of years ago. The doc suggested removing all those things from his diet for 2 months to heal his gut. After doing that, we were able to add eggs back in and he doesn't have issues with them. We never could add any of the other things back in.
So I'm thinking that maybe those of us who are becoming intolerant later in life may have gut/leaky gut issues. Maybe it's possible to get over/heal it if we do these things? Just a theory, as I've seen it work for my son.
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Newbie
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have not been tested for the white and the yolk separately as far as I know. The allergist spoke of "eggs" in general, and just told me to try experimenting with eggs, both whites and yolks, to see what I could tolerate. I am thinking now I should see a different allergist who could test me more in depth?

I have tried having just the white and still had a reaction. I tried organic eggs as well as egg beaters and still reacted. It is just frustrating that this seemed to happen overnight out of nowhere.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Recently eggs started making me feel like I have the flu. Eat even a tiny bit and I am out for the rest of the day.

Two of my nieces, who both had extensive intolerances/allergies said by avoiding their trigger foods for months (in one case a year) they were able to resume eating the foods without having reactions. I plan to try eggs again in four or five months.

I would get a new allergist. Egg allergies in adults run high risk of anaphylactic (potentially deadly) reactions. Telling you to 'test' eggs does not sound - uhm - wise to me.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjfern
Stats: 295/263/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/03-3/06restart 2/08
Eggs always make me queasy too. Long time low carver suggested supstitute 4% cottage cheese. Worked for me in a lot of recipes. This time around trying to get my body to accept eggs eating more with me it is the yolk that causes trouble
cjfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sam98632
Stats: 195/138/125
WOE: Mostly Vegi Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/03
tofu is a good egg substitute also.. and flax in baking..i eat a tofu scramble wrap almost every day. love it
sam98632 is offline   Reply With Quote