Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Weight loss Question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824553-weight-loss-question.html)

lori121 02-27-2014 08:23 AM

Weight loss Question

I was talking to somebody about my weight loss & they were like your losing weight to fast :dunno:
Since Jan 6, I've lost 18.5 pounds. Is that to much?? Myself I don't think so, but what do I know.?

natural_born_texan 02-27-2014 08:30 AM

Everyone is different, but that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

sbarr 02-27-2014 09:00 AM

It's not impossible to lose that much - a lot depends on age, activity level and how much you need to lose. Unlikely you'll continue at this pace, but the start of diets usually have the fastest pace of loss.

Keep up the good work - enjoy the rapid pace as long as you can and don't get discouraged if it eventually slows down.

peanutte 02-27-2014 09:40 AM

From your starting weight, no, that is not too much or too fast.

A lot of what people lose in the first few weeks of switching to Atkins, or a similarly low-carb plan, is water weight. Then the weekly losses will seem a lot smaller/slower after that, because you will be losing body fat.

I can't imagine why this person is expressing this.

Aomiel 02-27-2014 11:41 AM

I've never bought into the 'you're losing too fast if you lose more than 2 lb a week'. IMO, that falls right in there with 'it's unhealthy to eliminate carbs from your diet'.

How much a person loses will vary on soooo many things like age, metabolism, hormones, activity level, calories they're eating...which makes it very unique to the individual. You won't necessarily be losing muscle mass or hurt your kidneys/liver/insert something here by rapid weight loss.

If you're eating a healthy diet (and low carb is healthy), then I wouldn't worry about it.

lori121 02-27-2014 02:55 PM

Thank you for easing my mind. I didn't think it was to fast.. But she made me question myself. I've low carbed before & this time when I lost the weight I pray I don't gain it back.

Becky 02-27-2014 03:01 PM

I *wish* I was losing as fast as you!! You are doing fine, don't let others make you second guess yourself.

snowangel9 02-27-2014 03:14 PM

'Losing to fast'?! Is there such a thing? :D Dr. Atkins said that was a benefit of low carb, see results quicker and stay motivated. Like the other posters said, it may not continue at that pace, but enjoy it while it lasts!!

You'll need more than a prayer that you won't regain the weight. More like you need commitment. Look at this as a lifestyle change, not a 'diet'. If you feel better and are healthier doing low carb, why would you go back to fake food? You can do this!!

Drago 02-27-2014 03:31 PM

Since Jan. 4, 2014 I've lost 25 lbs., so your loss not unusual. I'm still losing but it has slowed down.

Peace 02-27-2014 03:48 PM

Congrats. You are doing a great job. Weight loss is a good thing in my mind. I dont think you should worry about it at all. Perhaps, look at how you feel and dont go on what other people say. If you feel well, then all the power to you! yay.

This is coming from someone who feels kind of stuck right now with weight loss.

Calories vary for everyone. I can function very well on limited calories. I am small frame, so I dont need much at all.

Arctic_Mama 02-27-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aomiel (Post 16817567)
I've never bought into the 'you're losing too fast if you lose more than 2 lb a week'. IMO, that falls right in there with 'it's unhealthy to eliminate carbs from your diet'.

How much a person loses will vary on soooo many things like age, metabolism, hormones, activity level, calories they're eating...which makes it very unique to the individual. You won't necessarily be losing muscle mass or hurt your kidneys/liver/insert something here by rapid weight loss.

If you're eating a healthy diet (and low carb is healthy), then I wouldn't worry about it.

Bingo.

lori121 02-28-2014 06:29 AM

I'm a happy camper this morning. I've lost 20 pounds.. Yea me. I realize I have a long way to go, but I'm a happy girl. :)

shirlc 02-28-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori121 (Post 16818546)
I'm a happy camper this morning. I've lost 20 pounds.. Yea me. I realize I have a long way to go, but I'm a happy girl. :)

Good for you...phenomenal results!!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

lori121 02-28-2014 03:30 PM

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlc (Post 16818646)
Good for you...phenomenal results!!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Janknitz 03-01-2014 12:35 PM

It's very common to lose a lot fast at first. The first two weeks you are losing mostly water weight, and I lost 12 pounds just in those two weeks. Once your body gets into fat burning mode, it seems to go like a house afire--AT FIRST.

Eventually it will slow down, especially if you are female. So enjoy it while it lasts, but don't count on that pace in the long term. No need to do anything to purposely slow it down.

dunginhawk 03-01-2014 12:41 PM

Definitely don't concern yourself with that.
Started Jan 2nd like a lot of others (new years is for bowl games and food) and im down 41lbs since then. I haven't felt this good in 5 years (when I started packing it on). I ran a marathon in 2008, then I hibernated haha.
I feel amazing, and im dropping fast again, so do NOT worry about it.