LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarebighair
Stats: 133/126
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 10
Maintenance advice pls

Hi guys, I'm hovering around my target weight having been low carb over a year. I think I know the answer to this but am I wrong in allowing myself a 'day off' at weekends? I'm not a massive pigger-outer on any one thing but my treat to myself is two Crumpets with Nutella! Lol... Would this be sufficient to keep me from losing any more?
Sarebighair is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Your choice. If you can do it and limit it to just that treat, with no gains on the scale, and don't have a goal of being in steady ketosis for health benefits? Sure, it's fine!

But if you gain, have cravings, or need ketosis for mood/weight control or physical performance, I'd not have that as my treat. Many folks do very well with treat meals or days in maintenance, if they are able to get right back on plan immediately afterward. But that is key and not everyone can tolerate moderation with carbs like that.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm hungry as hell the following day but am really strong willed so won't give in to temptation, but I take your point, and if something as relatively small as that can make me gain then I guess it's not worth it.. It's the only thing I miss from my old way of eating & getting constant pressure from f&f about my strictness to my diet, they are always telling me life's too short not to eat foods that I like, but actually I'm happier all round not eating that rubbish and have found some pretty good alternatives, it's just those dammed Crumpets! Lol...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Is there anyway you can make a low carb Crumpet?

one that is satisfying?

have you ever tried?

I second Artic's post. if you can do it, then do it. if it gets in the way, then drop it fast before the snowball effect happens.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

That's an idea, I've not thought about making my own.. It's silly to let one thing ruin all my hard work, what do you all do for a treat?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I am not maintenance yet so I can't say I have any 'go to desserts' that will help me maintain.

but I do sugar free jello and sugar free pudding every now and then.

In fact Blue Skies found a low carb lemon square on Netrition and she fancies it up and said it is delish. a good lc dessert.

maybe if I was you I would hit the low carb websites that are full of desserts and give yourself some long term options that are easy to make, not alot of ingredients you can have on hand to make when needed and fill yourself up with a giant list of lc go to desserts that keep ya in this woe.

I think a big list of lc food meals/desserts are so important for long term so I plan on making sure I have TONS of all kinds of foods in my life that I can go to when needed. for me I am a variety person so I have to do this bit of work to ensure that I can stay lc forever.

Last edited by Trigger828; 02-27-2014 at 05:06 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I must admit I tend to stick to the same food because it's 'safe' but I do get bored with it.. I want to be low carb forever also, no intention of ever going back. I've a measly 4lbs to lose if I want to be at my vacation weight, I don't mind being a little heavier the rest of the time, so I'm not really complaining, but you're right, I need to have long term options in place x
Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

yea when I did low fat/low calorie my options were limited and I lost tons of foods from my life. AND I couldn't eat more than 1200-1300 calories to maintain. hence, I choose LC now cause those foods were not enough for me. living on salad wasn't an option til I croak.

with LC I can 'make' meals/desserts that are satisfying and feel like I am not giving up SO MUCH in my life. I have options to go to. for me I have to have a good lc food meal/dessert list in place before maintenance because boredom will set in. sure it is yummier foods like ribeye etc., but at some point I gotta have a real long term life lc variety in my world.

if you are like me and LC is it for life, then we must go out and find LC options for meals that we would normally eat thru life. cause at some point we all 'want other things' and if lc options are right there, we will mentally choose the lc option without saying, ah, heck just this one time I will eat it.....and then we don't have to put that carb pressure on ourselves again.

carbs can draw ya down very very fast. we know that, we are hear cause of those carbs.

can ya tell I am thinking maintenance way in advance? LOL I know I need to make this a real life change long term. So I chat it out with others to cement it into my mind that it is a must for me to really find lc cooking ways and stick with them.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
The only difference in my maintenance diet vs my 'losing weight' diet is the number of calories. My macros are still the same. Still under 25gm carbs, still around 60gm of protein and the rest of my calories are fat (about 73%)...and fat can easily increase those calories.

I'm a diabetic so my motivation for not allowing in 'cheat' foods is different than say someone who isn't diabetic.

If you feel the need to have something that's not low carb and (more importantly) you can handle it without it setting you off on a binge, then I don't see the problem. I would, however, pay close attention to how you feel and then ask yourself whether that off plan food was worth it. I wouldn't worry about a small hike in the scale the next morning as it will only be water weight and should come back down in the next day or so. It's one of those YMMV things.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just to second the others, it depends on whether you intend to keep your ketosis (and it seems you do) and how steadfastly you can avoid carb or treat creep.

Although I bake low carb bread and other items for my DH, this week was the first time that I had a slice of the bread. I've only been maintaining for 8months and I'm not yet comfortable with the idea of a weekly treat, even a low carb one. I'm following the principles of Dr Barbara Berkeley's Refuse to Regain (summarised) which Leo41 mentioned as useful.

ETA: It will always be 'YMMV'. I know one poster whom I admire, and has been maintaining a substantial loss for some years, says that there is no thought of going off plan because, "I'm one brownie away from weighting 300lbs again". Other posters who are in maintenance can have a 'free' weekend and the uptick in weight is gone within the next week or so. Much may depend on your age, metabolism, and previous weight-loss history.
August 2014 In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-27-2014 at 05:53 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

My other problem is that when I increase my exercise, I tend not to increase my calorie intake as most of my life it has been calories that I've counted. Therefore, historically when I exercise more, I tend to actually gain weight because I think my body goes into starvation mode. I have recently taken up gym boxing & love it but because of this diet, I'm seldom hungry so it's really hard to eat more food..before I started the boxing, I want accepted the outcome of my one day off & just weighed later in the week when I had stabilised again, but I'm really scared my new fitness regime will make me gain again :-( obsessed much?? :-)
Low carb forever is the only way for me, my skin is clearer, my tummy flatter & I feel 'clean' inside.. Does anyone else feel that way?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
You have four more pounds to lose, so does that make your goal 122? If your stats are accurate, you've lost 7 pounds in the past year or so you've been on low-carb? It sounds like you are a slow loser, so why make things harder on yourself?

I've seen people get to goal and immediately decide they can afford to start making all sorts of exceptions and indulging in foods they miss. In most cases it doesn't last long. They start fighting to keep their weight down, and then they disappear. I'm just saying, it is a slippery slope and it appears to snowball pretty predictably. I think that is why Atkins Phase Two: Ongoing Weight Loss is designed the way it is. You don't just start eating higher carb foods any which way--you take your time and try out different foods in limited portions according to the carb ladder.

Maintenance isn't about being done with weight loss and going "whew, I don't have to be as strict any more, finally!" It's about protecting and guarding the weight loss that you worked so hard for.

I know what you mean about having that one food you miss, but really you've got to not dwell on it. Crumpets aren't going anywhere, they will always be available. Once you've maintained your goal weight for a while, maybe you can revisit this question, but for now I would just stay focused.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

AMEN!!!!! I sure feel better! the carb bloat/slug feeling is something I do not miss
Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarebighair View Post
My other problem is that when I increase my exercise, I tend not to increase my calorie intake...I tend to actually gain weight because I think my body goes into starvation mode. I have recently taken up gym boxing & love it but because of this diet, I'm seldom hungry so it's really hard to eat more food.....I'm really scared my new fitness regime will make me gain again :-( obsessed much?? :-)
Low carb forever is the only way for me, my skin is clearer, my tummy flatter & I feel 'clean' inside.. Does anyone else feel that way?
Ah, this information and your stats that you've posted in your profile are helpful (the latter would be even more so if you wouldn't mind indicating your height).

If you are maintaining a relatively small loss, then it's less likely that you would have substantial metabolic complications that might push you towards regaining body fat rather than lean body mass. (If you do, then it might.) Do you know what your body fat level is?

However, some people with a history of frequent weight loss/regain report that they tend to experience metabolic adaptation (aka starvation mode conservation of energy) and feel that they regain body fat too readily even with quite low intakes of food.

After reaching my initial weight goal, I reverse dieted to increase the amount of food that I could eat (and keep some metabolic flexibility) without increasing my weight. (I've since lost approx another 10lbs although I eat more than I did.) It might be worth you looking into that as a way of supporting your gym workouts and dealing with any apprehension about weight gain. I know that you want to shed 4 lbs by a particular date but I wonder if it might be worth you reverse dieting your way to that point so that you stand more chance of remaining there (assuming it's a sustainable LBM/fat level for your height/framesize).

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-27-2014 at 09:41 AM..
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

HI SS, that sounds interesting, can you explain more about reverse dieting? I am 5'5 & currently 128lbs..
Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Peanutte you have re-inspired me.. I feel both gently chastised and motivated! Lol.. You are right of course.. I need to get my pat on the back some other way.. I figure my slow loss is because I didn't have a great deal to lose..Do you think I should have lost more by now.?
Old 02-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #17

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
That's not for me to say. When I got down to the low 130s, after the entire first year of my weight loss, it did take me all the way until that fall to get to my current weight. It took me about 8 1/2 months to lose the final ten pounds. So I do think it might be slower with less to lose. On the other hand I have seen women here who started at a smaller weight like 130-140 and only had 10-20 to lose, and lost it quicker than my last 10-20 pounds.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
HI SS, that sounds interesting, can you explain more about reverse dieting? I am 5'5 & currently 128lbs..
I've described it more fully in the link - does the link not work for you?

At 5'5 much will depend on what your ratio of lean body mass (LBM): fat mass FM aka body fat or BF) is. If your LBM is 100lbs than you have a FM of 28lbs and a BF% of 22-23 which is slender. If your LBM is >100lbs at that weight (and there's a good chance that it is), then your BF% is lower than that and that might be too low for you. Eg, if your LBM is 108 then you'd be a BF% of 16 at 128lbs which is getting into the low area for a woman, depending on your lifestyle.

There's no reason to think that your LBM is outside of the bell curve low but, to demonstrate how much LBM:FM matters, someone might be 5'5, 128lbs and have a very low LBM of approx. 78lbs which gives a FM of 58lbs and a BF of 40%.

What you need to eat in these scenarios and your daily appropriate intake of food might vary by quite a lot. A good amount of LBM seems to be protective of metabolic health.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #19

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
there are some GREAT recipes for LC treats... you might want to check them out and find a LC alternative to crumpets... I know for a fact that I would have a lot of trouble if once a week I ate crumpets. Everyone is different and you need to find out what is going to work for you in the long run.
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkis View Post
there are some GREAT recipes for LC treats... you might want to check them out and find a LC alternative to crumpets... I know for a fact that I would have a lot of trouble if once a week I ate crumpets. Everyone is different and you need to find out what is going to work for you in the long run.
I agree totally with chipmunkis. Everyone is different. In my past, I THOUGHT once I lost the weight I could go back to eating like "regular" people or that I could have "cheat days". What a disaster that was because it made me crave those killer, toxic carbs and I couldn't stop myself and then I'd slowly regain the weight I had worked hard to lose.

Hello my name is Jo and I am a carboholic.

If I have any significant amount of carbs, I feel hung-over (all the symptoms). I consume 6 carbs a day and around 1200 kcals. I tell people that I have a lot of food allergies, to avoid the questioning looks and comments about what I eat.
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Wow, only 6 carbs a day?? What do you eat? Are you in permanent induction? I have taken on board what's been said & ditched my Crumpets.. I recently had some pretty hard core steroid injections in my spine, and only afterwards read that they can cause weight gain, might this account for my sudden gain of about 3lb? I'm really disappointed as I was maintaining really well..
Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
I recently had some pretty hard core steroid injections in my spine, and only afterwards read that they can cause weight gain, might this account for my sudden gain of about 3lb? I'm really disappointed as I was maintaining really well..
Oh, my goodness! That IS important information! I was on prednisone for a short period last year (like a couple of weeks) and gained 15 lbs in those two weeks! It was CRAZY and I could NOT get the weight off for quite a while. Steriods can wreak HAVOC with our bodies!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

:'( so what can I do?? Wouldn't be so bad if they'd even worked :-( should I just carry on but maybe back to OWL?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow, only 6 carbs a day?? What do you eat? Are you in permanent induction? I have taken on board what's been said & ditched my Crumpets.. I recently had some pretty hard core steroid injections in my spine, and only afterwards read that they can cause weight gain, might this account for my sudden gain of about 3lb? I'm really disappointed as I was maintaining really well..
Hey Sarebighair -- I am on week 1 of Induction and this is the beginning of week 35 for me. I am scared to add carbs because I have always sabotaged myself and added too many, got the cravings for those toxic, poisonous killer carbs and I lose control -- NOT THIS TIME!!!

I only do 6 carbs a day and get those carbs from green salads (4 carbs) and 2 T. International Delight Hazelnut Sugar free Coffee Creamer (2 carbs). Now I am eating around 1200-1400 kcals daily. I started at 600-700 first week of this restart to LC (5 July 2013) then added 50 kcals a week on 1 January. I've done some research and to maintain my goal weight of 130, I will need to consume any where from 1400-1600 kcals -- haven't figured out the carb part yet. I hope this wasn't TMI...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Wow Just Jo, fair play to you! I am desperate to stay at my 'happy weight' but need to add more variation to my diet because I am bored of it & tend to occasionally skip dinner as I'm not hungry & can't face eating the same old meals.. Do you know if skipping meals can cause stalling?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #26

I'd go back to Induction for two weeks and give myself a kick-start after the steroids!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:17 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow Just Jo, fair play to you! I am desperate to stay at my 'happy weight' but need to add more variation to my diet because I am bored of it & tend to occasionally skip dinner as I'm not hungry & can't face eating the same old meals.. Do you know if skipping meals can cause stalling?
I don't (or wouldn't) think skipping a meal would cause stalling... I only eat one meal a day (when I try to eat more often thru out the day, it makes me hungry all day long... )