Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Portion sizes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824493-portion-sizes.html)

Godslamb 02-26-2014 02:46 PM

Portion sizes?

Hello,
I am relatively new to this way of eating. I am doing low carb high fat.
I have talked to my nutritionist today as I was struggling with the fact that after 7 weeks, I am not only not losing weight, but actually have gained 3 lbs.
So after carefully checking my menu logs, she realized that I am actually having more like 80-90 carbs a day instead of the <40 she thinks I need to do. So I asked her if portion sizes made the difference and she said yes. Well later on, I realized I am unsure what portion sizes look like on low carb. Is there something we follow? If I have a recipe that serves 6, do I simply cut it into 6 portions and wrap the rest? It seems like such a small portion to me. How much meat are we allowed? Obviously I am still confused about this. :dunno:
Thanks for any help.
Carol

Dottie 02-26-2014 02:54 PM

Well, all the questions depend on what plan you're following, since they all have different rules.
As for portions, yes of course. There's a huge difference in a cup of spinach and a pound, nutritionally, calories, carbs, etc. As with any food.
I suggest getting a food scale and getting familiar with what a serving size is on the foods you like:)
And a lot of low-carb recipes have very small servings because they use a lot of high fat/calorie ingredients and having larger servings would be (simply put) eating too much.
A lot of the entree type recipes loaded with meat, cheese, cream, butter, etc ARE small servings, and you flesh out the meal with low-carb veggies like a salad or something :)

luckymuma 02-26-2014 03:03 PM

Portion size matters a whole heap! I have found eating very plain and simple in the beginning helped with that. No inventive meals, no low carb replacement recipes...just meat, fat and a very controlled portion of vpcarbs. It works for me to be very low carb, I stick to between 9 and 15g a day. My carbs come from double cream, some from cheese and a tiny amount from a veggie I sometimes include like a small amount of raw cabbage or 1/3 a Lebanese cucumber. I find it easier to have my carbs be obvious rather than hidden or needing to be worked out as part of a mixed meal with multiple carb sources. But that is just what works for me.

Leo41 02-26-2014 04:12 PM

How have you been counting your carbs for the past 7 weeks that you were so far off?

I can see a problem with 'recipes' (which is why I don't make them), but there are charts you can use to learn how many carbs are in (for example) 6 oz of tuna, or a 5 oz chicken breast, or 1 oz of cheddar. Packaged products (e.g., frozen vegetables) have the carbs listed on the wrapper.

Have you just been making assumptions about carb content rather than counting?
If so, you really need to learn how to track more effectively. I'm surprised that your nutritionist hasn't explained this.

Patience 02-26-2014 04:20 PM

How much meat will differ quite a bit by person.
I try not to overeat meat, but I'll have a serving of meat or maybe eggs three times a day. Someone suggested to me that a serving size of meat is about the size of a playing card. When I weigh I usually go with about 3 oz. If it's ground beef or pork, I often divide into servings before freezing. My view is that is better to eat more protein or fat than more carbs. I had a 6 oz sirloin when I ate out last week . . . didn't bother me at all but I would not eat that much typically at home in one sitting.

Spanilingo 02-26-2014 06:01 PM

Portions sizes are extremely useful when trying to count anything. Portion is just a word that represents a given size, weight, volume or measurement of a specific food and how to calculate it's nutritional value based on that food.

Now "your" specific portion is subjective. I would never consider 3 oz an acceptable portion of meat "for me" as a meal since I would be really hungry BUT I DO KNOW the nutritional value of that much meat.

Same with veggies. I KNOW how many carbs are in a cup of broccoli but I might eat several portion sizes.

There are tons of food portion visual guides all over the internet. Such search images on any search engine and a ton will come up with pictures and foods listed under them.

Mistizoom 02-26-2014 06:51 PM

Well, I think the first step is to lower your carbs. Some people may do well on that many carbs, but obviously it isn't working for you. Get your carbs down as low as you can for a couple of weeks, like 20 g carbs (net) per day. Don't worry about portion sizes, how much protein you are eating, how much fat you are eating, etc. Just get the carbs low and get into ketosis. You should try and pay attention to your hunger signals, eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are no longer hungry (not full, not stuffed, but no longer hungry). See how that works. After you have been in ketosis a while then you can make adjustments if you feel that is necessary to faciliate weight loss (such as decreasing protein).

Godslamb 02-28-2014 08:58 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it. I will take all of your advice into consideration. :)

cfine 02-28-2014 09:18 AM

My suggestion would be to buy a low carb book, like Dr. Atkins. Read it from cover to cover. That will help you to figure out what you should be eating and not eating. Good luck.

Just Russ 02-28-2014 09:47 AM

Yes, portion size makes a huge difference & I believe you should follow a written plan, like Atkins or another reputable author so you can refer to the book.
I am most familiar with Dr Atkins original 1972 plan. It was NEVER eat all the high calorie fatty foods you want. The rule was Eat all you need to not be hungry. Eat ONLY what you need to not be hungry. If you are hungry Eat, but only from the plan foods. I find it convenient to weight meats so I can standardize day to day. Being a male, I'm not sure my measurements will help you.
Breakfast is typically 2-3 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, herbal tea.
Lunch is a 1/4 # burger, cheese, bacon. No bun. Note I can & do get this at a lot of fast foods... without breaking my diet plan. No fries, of course. I often have meat topping on a salad as well... 1/4 # of chicken or tuna.

Dinner I aim for 8-9 oz of meat, a couple of cups of salad which is about a cereal bowl. Only oil & vinegar for dressing. Dressing is very risky as there is much added sugars in most dressings.

It was an awakening for me. During induction, I eliminated practically all carbs. I realized that I could separate cravings from hunger. I was not aware of it ever before. If something triggers cravings... then I must reduce or even eliminate it.

This is how Atkins works & why every other plan I'd been on failed. Because NO ONE is strong enough to withstand HUNGER indefinitely. It's is your body's fight to survive. But once I recognized true hunger, I am able to tweak my portions just enough to gradually loose a lot of weight.

But you must challenge yourself... to see how little you can eat & not be hungry. Every one is different.

I think you are close... you need to re-read the plan & tweak your eating just a bit. Maybe a couple of days of food diary would help.

RoxyRoller 02-28-2014 11:19 AM

Yes, portion sizes sure do count....I invested in a food scale and weigh everything either on the scale (meat), or use measuring cups for salad/veggies/yogurt, etc.

Mr_Geiri 02-28-2014 03:58 PM

The best thing to do, at least in the first few months, is to have a digital scale and weigh everything you put in your body.

Have an exact number of the net carbs rather than estimating.

It's such a low number it doesn't take much to go over it.

I don't really think of it as limiting the total food. I rather think of it helping me put together the food so I don't go over the carb limit.

You should feel satisfied from your food rather than being hungry all the time. Better to cut the carby ingredients than having tiny portions.

84k 03-01-2014 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16816724)
Well, I think the first step is to lower your carbs. Some people may do well on that many carbs, but obviously it isn't working for you. Get your carbs down as low as you can for a couple of weeks, like 20 g carbs (net) per day. Don't worry about portion sizes, how much protein you are eating, how much fat you are eating, etc. Just get the carbs low and get into ketosis.

This, just do this first, disregard everything else (no disrespect) let's get you into ketosis first and foremost. :)

Just Jo 03-01-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxyRoller (Post 16818920)
Yes, portion sizes sure do count....I invested in a food scale and weigh everything either on the scale (meat), or use measuring cups for salad/veggies/yogurt, etc.

:goodpost:

I weigh and measure everything I eat. You can find carb info online if you don't want to invest in buying a book. Someone above added urls that are very useful. Wishing you much success in your journey to the low carb WOE!!