Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   UGH was losing super slow, now I'm gaining! WTH? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/824445-ugh-losing-super-slow-now-im-gaining-wth.html)

afurrything 02-25-2014 06:01 PM

UGH was losing super slow, now I'm gaining! WTH?

Been on induction for nearly a month. Lost only 3 lbs the first two weeks. I realized I needed to accept that I'm older now and losing is going to go slower, but I weighed myself today and not only did I gain back those 3 lbs, I gained an extra 2! :cry:
I'm doing everything I did years ago when I lost 80 lbs. Eating all the same stuff.
Should I keep at it for two more weeks to give it 6 weeks or should I try to figure out what's going on.
The only difference between then and now is that I'm on geodon, but that shouldn't cause me to gain, I've been on it for a year and was able to maintain my 80 lbs loss.

ELL 02-25-2014 11:44 PM

That is a very frustrating situation. Can you post some menus so we can maybe help you out a bit.

Mimosa23 02-26-2014 03:08 AM

Sorry to hear you are struggling!

What worked for us yesterday, unfortunately does not work today for some...

I second the request for your menus, and also medication can definitely slow down your losses, as well as age, hormones, etc etc...

xxx

afurrything 02-26-2014 09:38 AM

A typical day for me

B-eggs with bacon or sausage

L-Salad. Usually romaine, hb egg, cheese, chicken. Caesar dressing.

D-buffalo chicken wings(5-6), salad(same as above. Blue cheese dressing with the wings.

S-don't always have one but if I do it's usually a hb egg.

I drink about 3-4 cups of coffee a day. 2 diet Pepsi, and then ice tea and water the rest of the day.

peanutte 02-26-2014 10:05 AM

That tells us something about your carbs, but without knowing portion sizes and amounts, it would be hard to give you anything useful in the way of feedback.

Drago 02-26-2014 10:09 AM

What you're eating looks okay. I just Googled the medication you're taking and one of the side effects listed is weight gain. Could be the culprit!

TheBigKahuna 02-26-2014 10:30 AM

Are the wings "naked" or breaded? A naked wing usually has 0 carbs, and a breaded wing will have about 20g. The sauce on the wings usually have some hidden carbs as well.

peanutte 02-26-2014 10:37 AM

I was wondering how many eggs and bacon at breakfast, how much salad dressing, how much cheese, full wings or wing pieces, those sorts of things.

afurrything 02-26-2014 10:43 AM

Naked wings with Franks hot sauce on them.

Amounts for foods.
Bacon/sausage links-3 to 4
Eggs- 2 to 3

For salad about 2 cups romaine, 1/4-1/2 cup cheese, 1/2 chicken breast.

ELL 02-26-2014 04:13 PM

maybe you aren't eating enough? just a thought. are you including any exercise? maybe some walking or swimming? I know in Dr. Atkins did say that if you aren't in ketosis and or having a hard time getting into ketosis to do the fat fast. Have you tried this?
I know for me as I got older and have had to restart a billion times this last time I had to do the fat fast to get into ketosis I also had to up my water and drop my favorite diet soda.

Maeve 02-26-2014 04:32 PM

It may be helpful to watch your cheese and salt intake. Some people don't have to watch their salt intake but I do. Also, cheese may be limited. I am older now, too, and I have high blood pressure. I am not on Atkins but I do eat a low carb diet. No starches, of course, but when I buy cheese or anything else, I try not to buy anything more than 5% sodium per serving (the DASH on NIH's website - Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension). It seems to help. You don't have to suffer, either. My cheddar is 8%, but that's not as bad as some of the other cheeses. Finlandia Swiss is only 2%. I bought Brie yesterday - 5%. And, I have cream cheese, which I think is also 5%.

Check the carb count and sugar count on your condiments. I love wings, too. Once in awhile, I'll use a recipe that has you coat the wings in a parmesan cheese (out of the can) and spice mixture. But when I don't, I use Texas Pete hot sauce.

Also, drink lots of water. I wish you the best; it is harder when you get older and that is just the truth.

peanutte 02-26-2014 04:36 PM

I think it's likely that she could benefit a lot from counting, weighing and measuring things. I think it might go better if she knows what, exactly, she is eating, not just carb counts.

What worked one time several years ago might not work the same way now. I did not count anything but carbs when I was much younger and had way less weight to lose. Then, years later when I had gained a lot, and was older, I had to start fresh as if I had never done it before, and not look back on what used to work for losing 20ish pounds when I was in my early 30s.

afurrything 02-26-2014 09:10 PM

I am probably too lax with exact measuring. Also probably a little PMSing maybe since TOM is in 5 days :sad:
And I beginning to suspect my scale isn't too accurate. I see my dr on the 6th and I know what I weighed on her scale in October, so I'll see what I weigh next week and go from there.
If I have gained I'm going to get a scale so I can weigh everything. Also might need to do some elimination too. I hope cheese isn't the culprit, I love cheese. My cheese of choice is smoked gouda, wonder how bad it is?

Thanks for all of the ideas!:)

Maeve 02-26-2014 09:13 PM

Are you following any particular plan? I remember that Atkins had a limit on cheese and cream.

Look on your gouda pkg. It will tell you what the content is of carbs, sodium, etc.

Drink water thruout the day.

Maeve 02-26-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afurrything (Post 16816883)
I am probably too lax with exact measuring. Also probably a little PMSing maybe since TOM is in 5 days :sad:
And I beginning to suspect my scale isn't too accurate. I see my dr on the 6th and I know what I weighed on her scale in October, so I'll see what I weigh next week and go from there.
If I have gained I'm going to get a scale so I can weigh everything. Also might need to do some elimination too. I hope cheese isn't the culprit, I love cheese. My cheese of choice is smoked gouda, wonder how bad it is?

Thanks for all of the ideas!:)

I've gotta log off of here now but didn't want to log off without saying, just watch your cheese intake. And if you are retaining water, read the labels on your foods. You don't want things with too much salt. And look at the carb contents, too. Good luck to you, and come on here and talk with us who are on here. It's always great to be able to share with someone and figure out what to do or find a new recipe. ;)

lowcarbella 02-27-2014 11:14 AM

Just wanted to say Dr Atkins puts a limit on cream cheese,HWC,splenda etc.He also mentions that some people are so insulin-resistant that caffeine can mess up wit their blood sugar.I never wanted to believe this,but once I dropped caffeine altogether,I had an easier time losing weight.
Another point is any processed foods you maybe eating might contain culprits-for me that happened when I was eating store brought meatballs which contained wheat and processed cold cuts contained soy and corn.
Finally it maybe time to count and track everything.I would lose the pepsi and limit artificial sweeteners too until you figure out what is going on.
Finally moderate the protein and increase fat.

I had a very easy time losing weight when I tried Induction at age 24.Now if I follow what I did then,I won't lose.My body has become very resistant.
Hope you find what works for you.

afurrything 02-27-2014 12:50 PM

I guess after I eliminate cheese and if that's not the issue, I'll cut the caffeine next.
Not eating any cream cheese, HWC, or any artificial sweeteners except what's in my diet Pepsi. I drink my ice tea unsweetened.
Not really eating any processed foods except cheese and salad dressing. I did have one Atkins Daybreak Bars one morning and an Atkins frozen meal once, but those were one time things.
Most of what I'm eating is just food. Eggs, chicken wings that I'm adding Franks and butter to. Romaine. Had cauliflower one night. I know bacon isn't the best thing to eat, so I limit it to just a couple slices and not every day. I confess most days I skip breakfast.

It's just completely frustrating to see the number on the scale go higher instead of staying or going lower :annoyed:
Maybe I need to read the book again. I read it when I started this back in 2008. I did look up a list of acceptable induction foods but maybe I need to revisit that again too.

Davian 02-28-2014 01:11 PM

If it's not the cheese and not the meds, try eliminating the diet soda and iced tea - I have trouble with artificial sweeteners - and I have to drink a LOT of water. Just my 2 cents.

afurrything 02-28-2014 03:07 PM

Ok not eating cheese to see if that helps. Next time I go to the grocery store I'll get some decaffeinated tea. I really need to kick my diet Pepsi habit.

ETA- I haven't gained anything in the past few days, haven't lost either. I am stuck at 185!

TheBigKahuna 02-28-2014 03:15 PM

First time I tried Atkins, years ago, it was no caffeine and no sweeteners. I lasted 2 days. I've had my usual dosage of daily caffeine this time around with no consequences that I can tell.

afurrything 02-28-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna (Post 16819310)
First time I tried Atkins, years ago, it was no caffeine and no sweeteners. I lasted 2 days. I've had my usual dosage of daily caffeine this time around with no consequences that I can tell.

I'm dreading going no caffeine, I get horrible headaches from it. I know it will only last a couple days, but not looking forward to it at all!

Peace 02-28-2014 08:33 PM

I think you will feel better just by cutting down on diet soda and anything SF. Plus, caffeine is a culprit for me. However, we are all unique..

Do what feels right.

Firmingrojo 03-01-2014 09:31 AM

If you have Yo-yo dieted through the years, you may have destroyed muscle. You may need to add muscle to help your metabolism. Cheese can slow your weight loss and even not drinking enough water. Everyone is different. Take out one thing a week and see how it goes.

Laura

Big Stevie 03-04-2014 07:59 PM

Be patient and stay on course and off the scale. Just focus on getting your body used to eating low carb.

Next step, start limiting your food choices and pay attention to how you lose. Then add more stuff and pay attention to how it effects your body. We are all different. You have to come up with the right mix of foods for your body.

I would also recommend that you look at the ratios of fat, protein and carbs you are eating. If you put your menus into one of the on line trackers they will give you the percentages of each. You want to be in the 60-65% range for fat, 30-35% protein and 5% carbs. Wife I had to guess, your fats intake is probably too low right now.

I am 50 and lost the same way I did in my 30's. I wouldn't give too much credence to the age argument. You will lose don't worry.

cprcheetah 03-04-2014 08:34 PM

Geodon isn't usually one that causes weight gain, when I was on it last year I lost weight. I wish my Dr didn't take me off of it, now I'm on Seroquel and can't freaking stop eating. I too am addicted to Diet Coke/Caffeine. I drink WAY to much of it and am working at cutting back, it gives me horrible head aches too. I would try eliminating one thing a week and see where that gets you.

afurrything 03-05-2014 05:15 AM

Seroquel scares me so I've avoided it so far. I was on lamictal and did well on it, I didn't gain, but was having trouble losing so we switched to geodon.

I see my dr tomorrow so I'm going to see what I weigh on her scale. Maybe everything is just do to my scale being wonky. I know exactly what I weighed on her scale last time, so I am anxious to see if I have lost anything or not.

Larry 03-05-2014 06:04 AM

When I read up on Atkins one of the warnings on it working is staying away from diet soda and artificial sweetners. Here is from the Atkins diet handbook as common mistakes. Notice it says caffeine and diet sodas can stop your ketosis after a single serving...

Entire thing copy and pasted...

Common mistakes of Atkins dieters

The Atkins diet is one of the simplest weight loss plans to follow. Although the principles are clearly set out in the books, there are some common misconceptions that occur for dieters. These mistakes can make a big difference in the amount of weight you lose and effectiveness of the diet overall. If Atkins isn’t working for you, or you find yourself suddenly gaining weight after weeks of effective dieting, make sure you aren’t making any of these common mistakes.

First, make sure to be patient with your weight loss. If you lose 8 lbs per week on the Induction phase and then slow down once you enter ongoing weight loss phase, this is perfectly normal. The level of carbohydrate grams that are acceptable on the Induction portion of the diet are not meant to carry you through the rest of your dieting experience. Induction is meant to break you of carbohydrate cravings and detoxify your body from sugar. Starting with the ongoing weight loss phase, you will begin introducing small levels of carbohydrate grams each week. This may slow down weight loss a bit from the level it was at during Induction, but this is completely normal.

Also, people are different and react differently to the diet. Some people lose weight in spurts, and other lose weight more steadily. A plateau can last for a few weeks and then voila, you’ve lost five pounds in a matter of a few days.

Make sure you are avoiding caffeine in all of its forms as well as aspartame, a common artificial sweetener. Both of these chemicals can impact blood sugar levels negatively. Look out for caffeine in coffee and diet sodas. Watch out for aspartame in diet sodas and sugar-free gelatin. These can cause cravings for sugar and take your body out of ketosis after just one serving.

Watch your daily intake of cheese. Although cheese is on the acceptable foods list, it does have small amount of carbohydrates. Your best bet is to limit your cheese intake to 4 oz per day. You can have more on special occasions, but it should not be used as your mainstay for protein. Meats, eggs and tofu are much better choices and don’t contain carbohydrate grams.

Remember to emphasize vegetables during Induction and beyond. Your carbohydrate grams should be primarily derived from leafy, green vegetables and other acceptable vegetable choices. Vegetables fill you up without spiking your blood sugar. They provide essential fiber and nutrients that help your weight loss efforts and overall health. After induction, you should have 3-4 cups of salad and 1 cup of cooked vegetables each day. Make sure the vegetables you are using are on the acceptable foods list. Eliminating vegetables from your diet can shut down your metabolism and cause your weight loss to stall.

It is also very important that you eat regularly while you are on the Atkins plan. Never go more than five waking hours without eating a combined snack of protein and fats. Two things happen when you skip meals. First, you cause a blood sugar drop that will have you craving carbohydrates like bread and sugar. Secondly, continued periods of not eating will slow down your metabolism and make it even harder to lose weight.

Finally, make sure you are drinking enough water each day. Water has a myriad of benefits for every human being, not just those on the Atkins diet. Thirst can sometimes be masked as hunger, so staying well hydrated will keep you from craving foods you shouldn’t be eating. Water also helps you avoid constipation, which is an occasional side effect of the Atkins diet. Drinking 8 eight ounce glasses of water per day will also help you flush out the toxins from your system that are produced when you burn fat.

These common mistakes can make people frustrated with the Atkins diet when there is no need to be. If you are just starting out on the diet, make sure to prepare yourself for these mistakes. If you’ve been on the diet for some time, evaluate your eating habits and make sure you are following the program correctly.

Larry 03-05-2014 06:10 AM

BTW I got that info off the Atkins diet handbook from the android market. It was free on there.

moonmirror 03-05-2014 01:53 PM

If I want to lose weight, I don't drink Diet Soda, except at a party or on a holiday. Diet Soda will stall me.

I also don't drink alcohol if I want to lose. Do you drink?

If I'm *really* not losing, I cut out dairy. and THAT works every time. :)

afurrything 03-05-2014 07:49 PM

I rarely drink anyway, just on some holidays. I've cut out all alcohol now though. Haven't had any for over a month.