LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: baileychristine
Stats: 256/235/180
WOE: Low Carb, Moderate Fat
Start Date: January 2014
Quest Bars?

How many of you, without diabetes, have tried Quest Bars? What was your experience? Did you test your blood sugar? I have been on a LC woe since Jan, and I am nervous to try these because I do not want to stall. However, the net carb count is low, so idk. I think maybe if I only have half a bar, say 3 times a week, it shouldnt be bad?

Any opinions welcome!!!
baileychristine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I think this may be a YMMV situation (individual response). I am NOT diabetic, and I love the Quest bars because they seem to have the healthiest ingredients of those bars on the market. However, I've tried them several times with the same result--they spur my appetite into the stratosphere. You may not have this reaction at all.

IMO, 'foods' don't stall us (unless we have a sensitivity to them), but they can derail us by stimulating our appetite with resulting overeating if we're not vigilant. That's when we 'stall.'
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
They're SO yummy.
They're SO expensive.
They make me incredibly hungry.

I know many who have had awesome results with them, so it's a YMMV thing (As Leo stated above). I'm not diabetic, but sweet things tend to give me cravings. I'd rather stick to bacon.

Maybe buy a few single bars (I know my local GNC carries them) and see how they affect you?
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
having something like this around with the idea of eating only a half and then waiting a few days doesn't tend to work out well for me. the second half is too tempting. and then if there is another bar, that is tempting too. we need to know our own strengths and weaknesses, and this is a weakness of mine!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/125/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I have 1/2 of a Quest bar every workday, with my (rather meager) lunch. I'm happy to say, I don't have the problems some others do with craving sweets afterward.

However, after months of bringing an entire bar to work every other day and only eating 1/2 each day, I went through a period where I was justifying eating the other half. I solved that problem by portioning the bar at home, so I only have 1/2 with me each day.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
They taste great, but I binge on them. I tried cutting them up into treat pieces(8ths). Doesn't work. I don't know about BS I never tested after eating one. That would be interesting. It might explain the craving.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I think this may be a YMMV situation (individual response). I am NOT diabetic, and I love the Quest bars because they seem to have the healthiest ingredients of those bars on the market. However, I've tried them several times with the same result--they spur my appetite into the stratosphere. You may not have this reaction at all.
Me too! And they are so good, I'll eat one and then want another one! Not safe for me to have around. But hubby and I are going on a road trip so I might have some on hand so when we stop for gas I'm not perusing the aisles for a carby snack.

kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I use them when we travel and i cant always control what food will be available. Case in point was yesterday. We were staying at a lovely B&B and I scored the first day--a yummy egg dish, strawberries and heavy cream, and roasted tomato--I just had to skip the pastries. Win! But yesterday I couldn't have any part of the breakfast--broiled grapefruit with caramelized sugar, grits, crepe filled with a flour based sauce, cinnamon rolls. Lose.

So my breakfast was a cinnamon roll Quest bar and coffee. Not eating the carbs--win!

I would not consider them part of my regular diet--for all their supposedly "good" ingredients they are NOT real food. But in a pinch they will do.

I dont think any of them taste all that great. I don't like apple but that's my favorite,because I have no expectations about what it's supposed to taste like.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I often don't do well with portion control, but for some reason, I do with Quest Bars. I portion them into 4ths (micro 7-10 seconds so they get soft and I can cut them), then eat just 1/4 per day. I like that they are really chewy and I can take small bites and make them last a while.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I had a choc chip cookie dough one yesterday and it was soooo good! Just like eating real cookie dough!

I do eat a whole bar at a time...they are delicious to me. I just ordered 3 dozen - 2 dozen coconut cashew and one dozen vanilla crunch I think they are called... (because soon I will have to have them packed in dry ice for more $$$, so I try to avoid that). I don't like having so many around, but I will just have to be disciplined about them... They are pricey and they will have to last a long time!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I don't have any problems with them. They don't spike my blood sugar or my hunger. I'm not willing to spend the $$ to have them daily, but will purchase 10 or 12 at a time and eat them over the course of a month, then skip a few weeks until I want more. I keep them in my desk at work and have one when I'm super hungry or working late. They don't immediately satisfy my desire to eat, but the higher protein level creates satiety within the next half hour or so--so I just wait it out. I think most of them are pretty yummy, but we all have our favorites. I really like the coconut cashew. One thing I've noticed, though, is that when I only eat a half-bar and don't get around to the other half for a few days, it is as hard as a rock. I'll pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up, but they are much better when fresh.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I thought Atkins bars were high at about $1.25 each. Looks like Quest bars are $2+ each?

Do they have any cards, or sugar alcohols?
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
There are two different lines of Quest bars. One is sweetened with lo han guo and sucralose. The other line is sweetened with stevia and erythritol. I've never experienced gastric distress from either type. Go to the website for Quest Protein Bars and check out the ingredients and nutritional information. It's actually very impressive for a bar of this nature.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote