LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
I find the BPC does not satisfy me like many people say it does them. Personally, 3 eggs for breakfast goes a long way for me.

It's great if you're going to be able to see a LC friendly doctor . It sounds like you need answers beyond what anyone here is able to tell you other than keep working hard and don't lose heart! You'll get there
Research does show eggs are very filling, and people who eat eggs in the morning are less hungry all day. A little butter in your coffee (100 cals worth) and three eggs, you would be under your current breakfast calorie amount but much less hungry.

I am doing just coffee with hwc in the am, but I have almost too much appetite suppression! I am certainly not as close to a normal weight as you are, though.

Best of luck to you.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shespeaks
Stats: 5'2" & 42
WOE: Atkins-based LC, "eating to my meter" for Diabetes
Start Date: Restart 8/4/2014 - 207/192.5/135
Have you checked your blood sugar lately? Anytime I have a swing -- up or down -- in my blood glucose level I feel hungry. I'm NOT hungry, but I sure feel like I am.

Looking at your menu, except the wine there shouldn't be anything in there causing a swing anyway, but it might still be worth a look.

Good luck!
shespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #63
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It doesn't sound like you are in ketosis. Do you feel like you are?

BPC is great for appetite suppression but I believe it only works in ketosis. It has the added benefit of providing easily converted fats (mct oils) for ketones. Many people have to moderate their protein intake in order to stay in ketosis.
I have read that, while it has been assumed that ketosis is what cuses appetite suppression on a LC diet, that is not really true. I'm not sure if they know the specifics of what causes it but there have been studies comparing appetite suppression on a ketogenic diet to that of a non-ketogenic diet. There was no difference in appetite suppression.

I think some people will see appetite suppression when in ketosis while others won't. There are most likely at least a few variables involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I second checking for food intolerances. I have been off gluten for years, but recently I found out dairy is a problem. It gives me asthma, a fast pulse, and cravings. What else might it be doing on the inside that I can't see?

Also get tested for vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Your body can't tell you "go and get me some magnesium" all it can do is make you hungry or maybe give you some vague cravings (that I think we often misinterpret) and hope you eat the right thing. If you don't, hungry again.
I strongly agree with this suggestion. I never had testing for food sensitivities because of the cost & the fact that the results are often wrong. Eliminating a suspected problem food and seeing the resuklts was proof enough for me.

When we have deficiencies our bodies will signal us to eat - and will continue to do so until we eat what we need.

I have had to eat a lot "cleaner" to lose fat than I did years ago. I've eliminated all sorts of things & don't touch processed foods. It was a hard decision but it came down to answering, "What do I really want?"
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-03-2014 at 06:06 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
My recommendation may be unpopular, but it sounds like you need more volume and potentially less fat. If you enjoy protein (as I do!) I find I do better with 'naturally occurring low carb fat' and not adding it in intentionally. I tried that for a bit but struggled to feel full, even with higher calories. For me, the benefits of more vegetable matter, nuts, and even some fruit like berries far outweighs any benefit lower carb/higher fat nets me. I still end up with 60-65% of my calories coming from fat even on the very highest carb days of my diet, so it is certainly not light on fat. But the veggie matter makes me feel good and fills my stomach, too. That and plenty of animal products is the core of my diet, with cheese, nuts, some low carb treats, and the aforementioned berries rounding it out.
This is what works for me. I need volume to feel satisfied. I bulk up my meals with a ton of very low calorie veggies like cabbage. I have virtually no hunger and my calories stay low enough that way. I think for some of us calories do count, I am one. Finding the right combination of protein, bulk and fat for your body is the trick!
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DressageLover
Stats: 222/168/150, 5'10"
WOE: VLC, A72
Start Date: 1/29/99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I hope you will give a listen to the Balanced Bites podcast episode # 128 beginning at 17 minutes.

It will change your life.
Thank you for this Janknitz.
It helped me step back and remember that my purpose in life is not to fight with my body, but focus on giving it proper nourishment.
I am reminded of a quote I once heard that you can't have a happy ending to an unhappy journey.
DressageLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #66
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I have read that, while it has been assumed that ketosis is what cuses appetite suppression on a LC diet, that is not really true. I'm not sure if they know the specifics of what causes it but there have been studies comparing appetite suppression on a ketogenic diet to that of a non-ketogenic diet. There was no difference in appetite suppression.

I think some people will see appetite suppression when in ketosis while others won't. There are most likely at least a few variables
I have serious doubts that people who are demonstrately in ketosis don't have appetite suppression. I have read many sources of information on the subject and what you say is entirely contrary. I wonderif you would be kind enough to provide some sources?

Of course, it is important to note that there can be a pretty big distinction between 'low carb' and ketogenic. Perhaps that is the real issue?

Last edited by clackley; 03-04-2014 at 03:43 PM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #67

Quote:
I have serious doubts that people who are demonstrately in ketosis don't have appetite suppression. I have read many sources of information on the subject and what you say is entirely contrary. I wonderif you would be kind enough to provide some sources?

Of course, it is important to note that there can be a pretty big distinction between 'low carb' and ketogenic. Perhaps that is the real issue?
I don't have links or the names of the studies. I do way too much research to save everything. I tend to learn & move on. I do recall Lyle McDonald wrote about the studies.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:

Hate to say it, but beyond the first month or so of very low carb I really got no appetite suppression. I've had to practice volumetrics even with 20 total carbs and less. It just depends on the body but maintaining steady state VLC does cause ketosis in energy management. How that ketosis acts on the HPA axis of a particular individual is extremely variable.

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 03-04-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
I agree with Ntombi too. At 5' 10" you may have more muscle than you think. If your body is comfortable at 160-70, why stress over it? Have you ever had your lean body mass calculated? That might be eye opening. You may be trying to weigh less than the amount of your lean muscle mass.
I'm thinking the same.....at 5'10" I would think a GREAT weight would be 180.
I understand; I'm not happy with my set point and apparently my body isn't going to go any lower without sacrificing my health.
Besides hungry, how do you feel? Do you become ill easily? Do you have body dysmorphic disorder, to where you wouldn't ever see your body accurately, no matter what you weighed? Are you 25 or 55? Peri menopausal, menopausal? Many factors could influence this.
What are your blood sugars? I used to suffer from insane hunger until I found out I was diabetic (since resolved with gastric banding) & was informed it was due to the hormone ghrelin........
Maybe low carb high protein tubes by designer whey? Yucky but they cause nausea in me which eliminates hunger.........
Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #70
Chatty Cathy

Demonstratable ketosis and low carb are 2 different things and for some people, keeping carbs below 20g is not enough.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #71

Quote:
Demonstratable ketosis and low carb are 2 different things and for some people, keeping carbs below 20g is not enough.
Yes, they are very different things, as are people. That is pretty basic.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #72
Chatty Cathy

Okay. We are all unique.

I would only suggest that if a person is not getting appetite suppression, they may not actually be in ketosis. And of course, this may not be the case. It would be good to be sure though and this may mean moderating protein along with keeping carbs very low.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I would say you have to BE IN KETOSIS to get appetite suppression, therefore no appetite suppression? No weight loss.

You can go into ketosis on a high carb very low calorie diet, a very lowcarb moderate calorie diet, or fasting. Low carb gets so many rave reviews because effectively; you can eat *more* (not constantly, but more) without getting hungry/stopping ketosis.

Eating a lot, all day does not help with appetite suppression. You have to give your body a chance to burn some fat stores. If you're eating frequently, you're always bumping up that blood sugar a bit and insulin levels are roller coastering.

I really don't lose without some IF days thrown in. Some fasting here and there. I think that's the missing piece for a lot of folks who aren't losing.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote