LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Today at Starbucks!

I don't go there very often and wanted to make sure I didn't blow it...I ordered a "venti latte made with heavy cream, nothing else in it"......it even said that on the cup so I'm assuming it's o.k. Anybody?

marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Other than being about 600 calories, it was probably fine
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I get a sugar free vanilla latte with HWC all the time. About 2-3 times a week. I don't count calories though. Also - I WATCH when they make it. There are times I've seen the barista pull out half and half and even milk! That's the reason I never use the drive thru and always go inside and watch them make it.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I don't count calories either!! Think I'll try it your way tomorrow....sounds delish!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Precision in nomenclature is hard there. "heavy cream" means heavy whippING cream to me, but some baristas think it means "lots of half and half". "Whipping cream" often gets interpreted as WhippED cream" (sweetened). One barista argued with me that a latte with sugar-free syrup could not be called "skinny" if i had whipping cream or half and half when all the other baristas go by the syrup. Sigh...
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
I wonder what the volume of the heavy cream is in a Venti? There are .8 carb per ounce and 6.64 per cup of heavy cream. So maybe three carbs? I can't do that high of fat and calories at this point but I think some people just think that heavy cream is zero carb which it is at some level but not in larger amounts.
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I order my lattes half hot water and half breve...breve is half and half at my starbucks because their whipped cream is sweetened there...it is a small kiosk at work so no heavy cream w/o sugar...this cuts down on calories and keeps the carbs in check...I have had it the way you irdered and it is soo rich it's like dessert...If you don't have to count calories, I would say enjoy!
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Precision in nomenclature is hard there. "heavy cream" means heavy whippING cream to me, but some baristas think it means "lots of half and half". "Whipping cream" often gets interpreted as WhippED cream" (sweetened). One barista argued with me that a latte with sugar-free syrup could not be called "skinny" if i had whipping cream or half and half when all the other baristas go by the syrup. Sigh...
Exactly! That's why I never trust them to get it right unless I'm watching. I have to see them go in the fridge and pull out the carton of HWC. The one closest to me is inside of a Target. I buy the HWC they sell there. Dean's.They use the same HWC that is sold in Target so I know what the carton looks like. When I go to other locations, sometimes I ask to see the carton.

By the way, I usually order a tall. Its so very filling. It sometimes serves as a meal for me. I'm not going to have a meal after that. Or halfway thru it I'm stuffed and I'll have the other half later or tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I have been working for Starbucks for 4 years now. A skinny latte means "non fat milk and sugar free syrup", in Starbucks lingo. Most definitely not a drink for a low carber

Last edited by dawnyama; 02-26-2014 at 12:04 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M View Post
I wonder what the volume of the heavy cream is in a Venti? There are .8 carb per ounce and 6.64 per cup of heavy cream. So maybe three carbs? I can't do that high of fat and calories at this point but I think some people just think that heavy cream is zero carb which it is at some level but not in larger amounts.
A venti is a 20 oz drink. You have to add the shots to it, so 2 shots in the cup. Then the amount of syrup pumps--that would be 5. Then adding in the foam on top. You would count about 16 oz of actual cream in your cup. But it could be some more or some less. I know I overfill my customers cups! I am a very generous barista

I don't know the exact amounts because we have lines on the cups we steam the milk/breve in. Not actual oz markings.

Last edited by dawnyama; 02-26-2014 at 12:06 PM..
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I have been working for Starbucks for 4 years now. A skinny latte means "non fat milk and sugar free syrup", in Starbucks lingo. Most definitely not a drink for a low carber
I think officially that's what it means. But I've seen that translate to other things at different locations that's why I am very specific about what I want and have to watch them make. Once, I placed my order for a latte with HWC and sugar free syrup. The cashier rang it up as a skinny latte w/HWC. When I asked about it, ( I knew that skinny is usually made with low fat milk, did that before LC) I was told if it has sugar free syrup - its a skinny - Thats why I have to watch them make it. The barista proceeded to pull out half and half and told me a skinny with HWC usually means with half and half.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
so 800 calories for a DRINK???? And it's not even alcoholic with an umbrella in it?!

For me, calorie counting or not, I can't justify 1/3 to 1/2 of my daily calories for a coffee, much as I love it
Lucky you can!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
A venti is a 20 oz drink. You have to add the shots to it, so 2 shots in the cup. Then the amount of syrup pumps--that would be 5. Then adding in the foam on top. You would count about 16 oz of actual cream in your cup. But it could be some more or some less. I know I overfill my customers cups! I am a very generous barista

I don't know the exact amounts because we have lines on the cups we steam the milk/breve in. Not actual oz markings.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a lot of heavy cream!
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I ended up having the venti latte with heavy cream and it was filling....only ended up having that for breakfast and lunch as I was in and out of meetings all day! Came home, broiled up some lamb chops with a salad and was down 1/2 pound!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
I talked with a girl at Starbucks one day about there heavy cream. You need to let them show you the container. The one I went to had more carbs than what you get at the store. She was real nice to tell me I was getting way more carbs than I thought.....
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote