LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cherry Blossom
Stats: 279/261/170 (5'11")
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 28, 2014. R1 1999 R2 2008
Buying clothes 2 sizes too small

Am I crazy? I bought some blouses and dresses that are two sizes too small. I like them and want to wear them. I haven't worn a dress in years...just skirts and blouses to strategically hide my bumps and lumps and most are dark colors. I don't even know if I'll look good in them. I have it in my mind that I am going to loose a lot of weight...I'm happy eating LC and I'm walking 45 minutes every day and yet I keep thinking when I look at myself in the mirror "this isn't working...I still look fat". I'm caught between what I want to be and what I keep telling myself and meanwhile I'm hoping I haven't wasted my money.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I will buy things that are a bit tight that will look good in 5-10 lbs., but two sizes is too much for me to know when/if it will fit. The only exception was when I got a killer deal on some swim shorts last year that I liked, I bought a few different sizes to stash, and if they don't end up working this year, oh well.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: phealphrea
When I was a size 20, I bought a skirt that was a size 8 that I looked at daily, and tried on once a month...until one day when I tried that sucker on and IT FIT! Whatever works as motivation for you...works! If you have something concrete to use as that carrot dangling in front of you, it might keep you moving ahead on days when the scale lies, or you get the hankering for something off plan. Today you might not be able to fit into that size at all, but in 6 weeks, you will notice how much easier it is to pull it on or up or button it or whatever, and that is both great motivation to keep going, and a NSV for you.
phealphrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: snooks86
Stats: 6 ft, Past 270/Present 230/Goal 175 lbs
WOE: Atkins Induction
Quote:
Originally Posted by phealphrea View Post
When I was a size 20, I bought a skirt that was a size 8 that I looked at daily, and tried on once a month...until one day when I tried that sucker on and IT FIT! Whatever works as motivation for you...works! If you have something concrete to use as that carrot dangling in front of you, it might keep you moving ahead on days when the scale lies, or you get the hankering for something off plan. Today you might not be able to fit into that size at all, but in 6 weeks, you will notice how much easier it is to pull it on or up or button it or whatever, and that is both great motivation to keep going, and a NSV for you.
DAMN!
snooks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I think that's an awesome way to stay motivated. I didn't do that throughout my loss, but looking back, I sort of wish I had. I ended up buying things a size bigger than my actual size as I was losing because I just couldn't "believe" I was the smaller size!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I actually just did this same thing with a couple of dresses that were a steal of a deal I bought one dress to wear now, and two to wear in about 20-30 pounds from now.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Blossom View Post
I'm happy eating LC and I'm walking 45 minutes every day and yet I keep thinking when I look at myself in the mirror "this isn't working...I still look fat". I'm caught between what I want to be and what I keep telling myself and meanwhile I'm hoping I haven't wasted my money.
You are losing weight, so why are you thinking that it isn't working? It takes time to take off the pounds and sometimes even longer to feel a real change. You won't instantly look in the mirror and say, "yes, now I look exactly like I want to." Stay the course!
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I agree with others, whatever motivates you. If those blouses and dresses keep you excited and motivated, they are worth every penny and then some.

I don't have to shop for smaller sizes. I have a closet full of jeans in way too many different sizes. Its the first place I'll shop.

You're doing great.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I would use that clothing as inspiration to stick to plan, not cheat, and not overeat. It feels amazing to try on clothes that are too small week after week and then have them finally fit.

Just stick with it and one day soon you will be wearing those clothes.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
You are losing weight, so why are you thinking that it isn't working? It takes time to take off the pounds and sometimes even longer to feel a real change. You won't instantly look in the mirror and say, "yes, now I look exactly like I want to." Stay the course!
That's what I was wondering myself. It's like I have this tape playing in my mind always telling me that it isn't working. Intellectually, I know it's not true and that I've lost at a nice rate so far but sometimes I think because I have been overweight for so many years that I'm not worthy to have it work for me. Also, I have 4 older sisters and I think I have the "younger sister syndrome" where I never feel as good as them (they've managed to stay fit in their married lives) and I think it translates over to how I see my weight loss. Unfortunately, weight loss probably involves a lot more than losing weight....like psychological issues of the past...
Cherry Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I agree whatever motivates you.

2 sizes would be the opposite for me. too much pressure on me

I would buy something 'kinda' tight where it would take me a reasonable amt of weight loss to get into it. a shorter goal is what I can handle.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
I did this a few years ago when I bought a pair of slacks that were so stunning that I just had to have them.

They were 2 sizes too small, but I hung them on the back of my bedroom door so that every time I closed and opened that door, I'd see them.

I actually didn't do it purposely as motivation, but that's what it ended up being.

They ended up being too big, so now I have another clothing item hanging there.......a very slinky black sequined short dress that I WILL wear.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I think it is fine to do on occasion.

I don't find buying too-small clothes to be motivating as a goal. Am I the only female in existance that does not have "goal" clothes? lol...

But, I am still losing and one thing I have learned in the last year + of shrinking is that buying clothes that fit while in fat-loss mode is not usually a good idea.

I usually buy things about one size too small. If they fit perfectly when I buy them they tend to be too big too soon & it is a waste of my money.

It hasn't happened yet but if I come across an amazing deal on something two sizes too small I might get it provided it is something that will fit in the right season. So I estimate when I think it might fit. It does not make sense to buy winter clothes that will fit me in the summer and be too big for me come winter.

Keep looking in the mirror! Really look. I looked for a long time before I could see the changes. I knew I had lost weight, lost fat, lost inches. But it was not visible to me in the mirror. Now I have to tear myself away from mirrors because what I see is so exciting!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

Keep looking in the mirror! Really look. I looked for a long time before I could see the changes. I knew I had lost weight, lost fat, lost inches. But it was not visible to me in the mirror. Now I have to tear myself away from mirrors because what I see is so exciting!
That will be a GREAT day!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
If it is a steal or I know it's my style I'll do it - I got a thrifted velvet jacket with a classic cut and it was two sizes too small. It fits now, just a smidge tight, and I'm still losing. So even thoug I bought it two years ago and didn't anticipate a pregnancy stopping my weight loss for awhile I'm still glad I grabbed it.

That said, there's a few other items I hoped would look better with a few more pounds lost as they were just slightly tight. It turns out the cut would never be flattering on me. They ended up hanging off me and still looking unflattering. And they were expensive formal dresses, too. Unfortunate but lesson learned.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #16

Quote:
That will be a GREAT day!
It will happen one day when you least expect it. All your hard work will be reflected in the mirror.

Just keep believing in yourself & doing what you are doing. Remind yourself of all the good things you are doing on a daily basis.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Am I the only female in existance that does not have "goal" clothes?
Lots of people do, I think.

I had some nice things left over from before I gained, and I hardly got to wear most of them during the time they fit again on the way down. But that's okay. It was still fun to fit into old clothes that were way out of my range when I started, even if just to try them on a few times.

Cherry Blossom, I hope you can silence those annoying voices of self doubt in your head. Really, if you think about it, who cares whether you're "worthy" or "not worthy"? That's not even verifiable or relevant. Just stick with the actions and let your progress continue. It can be true that there are emotional issues attached to weight, but sometimes we overthink things, and might be better off not analyzing all the reasons. Thinking is important, feeling is important, but doing is what gets things done (like your tagline says).

Enjoy your new clothes. I hope you get to wear them soon!
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Quote:
I think it is fine to do on occasion.

I don't find buying too-small clothes to be motivating as a goal. Am I the only female in existance that does not have "goal" clothes? lol...

But, I am still losing and one thing I have learned in the last year + of shrinking is that buying clothes that fit while in fat-loss mode is not usually a good idea.

I usually buy things about one size too small. If they fit perfectly when I buy them they tend to be too big too soon & it is a waste of my money.

It hasn't happened yet but if I come across an amazing deal on something two sizes too small I might get it provided it is something that will fit in the right season. So I estimate when I think it might fit. It does not make sense to buy winter clothes that will fit me in the summer and be too big for me come winter.

I absolutely love this!!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Lots of people do, I think.

I had some nice things left over from before I gained, and I hardly got to wear most of them during the time they fit again on the way down. But that's okay. It was still fun to fit into old clothes that were way out of my range when I started, even if just to try them on a few times.

Cherry Blossom, I hope you can silence those annoying voices of self doubt in your head. Really, if you think about it, who cares whether you're "worthy" or "not worthy"? That's not even verifiable or relevant. Just stick with the actions and let your progress continue. It can be true that there are emotional issues attached to weight, but sometimes we overthink things, and might be better off not analyzing all the reasons. Thinking is important, feeling is important, but doing is what gets things done (like your tagline says).

Enjoy your new clothes. I hope you get to wear them soon!
Thanks peanutte...i do tend to over analyze...I will just "do".
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RosieMay
Stats: 233/218/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/9/2014 Restart
My old job I was allowed to wear jeans at work so I have a whole bunch of them. When I lost weight last time I threw away all of my bigger jeans. I refuse to buy another pair of jeans since I have so many. I said I will get back into the one's that I have. I really want to wear jeans, so that is what I am working towards. That is my motivation. The jeans I do have will not be my final jeans and I will buy some more when I outgrow all the one's I have.

Diabetic and Hypothyroid

Mini Goal #1: 199 by April 20
Mini Goal #2: 180 by July 4th
Mini Goal #3: 160 by October 31 (Married 1 year) Hate my wedding pictures. Will take new ones on Halloween 2014
RosieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Just bought some Old Navy Jeans (on sale for $19) 2 sizes too small. They're stretchy and 1 size too small nearly fits (goes on my body but I wouldn't wear in public yet) so I'm confident I will have some awesome skinny jeans that will fit sooner or later.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I have thought about doing this, but haven't done it yet. I keep telling myself...I have plenty of smaller sizes in my closet that I need to get back into first.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I am sooo confused...I got my clothes that are 2 sizes too small in the mail today. They fit!!! I don't understand...did they change their sizing??? I've only lost 11 lbs although I'm waiting for TOM to pass to see if I've lost more than the scales say today. I'm in amazement and disbelief! Maybe it's the cut...I don't get it but I'll take it!
Old 02-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I have a New Dallas Cowboy Jersey that my son in Tx sent me from a game he was at...I am a Tx Mom that lives in AZ...and it is just alittle tight so I have it hanging were I see it everyday...It will fit soonnnnn lol
Buying 2 sizes smaller is alittle much for me...sorry...If I had just alittle weight to lose I would see this happening but not yet....
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
I am sooo confused...I got my clothes that are 2 sizes too small in the mail today. They fit!!! I don't understand...did they change their sizing??? I've only lost 11 lbs although I'm waiting for TOM to pass to see if I've lost more than the scales say today. I'm in amazement and disbelief! Maybe it's the cut...I don't get it but I'll take it!
Didn't you take measurements & check the sizes before you ordered? I do it every time I order something. The scales have nothing to do with size.

But congrats!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Didn't you take measurements & check the sizes before you ordered? I do it every time I order something. The scales have nothing to do with size.

But congrats!
Well, I order from them all the time and assumed I was still my original size...I have been walking a lot and am in TOM right now...I have noticed my pants keep wanting to fall down...

Last edited by Cherry Blossom; 02-28-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Well that's a pleasant surprise.

I buy a lot of Eddie Bauer clothes. His stock would tank if I quit buying clothes for some reason. Still, I try things on and sometimes I am surprised. Since there is more than one piece of clothing you thought would be too small and wasn't, that leads me to believe you shrunk. Again,
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Well, I order from them all the time and assumed I was still my original size...I have been walking a lot and am in TOM right now...I have noticed my pants keep wanting to fall down...
It can take us by surprise! At least it is a pleasant one!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Yes, a VERY pleasant surprise!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
About 8 years ago or so I bought a pair of size 14 shorts at Goodwill because I WAS a size 14. I got them home and found out they were JUNIORS size 14 because I couldn't even get them over one thight. I put them in a drawer and forgot about them until a couple years later when I started LC'ing. When I found them again, I thought "what the heck, just for S and G..." I slipped them on and they fit! They are now one of my favorite pairs of shorts.

Kinda scared to try them on now because I have gained a little, but I know I can fit in them again without a muffin top by summer. That's my goal. I also have a pair of size 10 jeans (I do wear a size 10) that I bought last summer. I actually bought 2 pair of them, same brand, same cut, same size just different colors. One fits fine the other is a little too tight. I will keep trying those on till they fit the same way the others do.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote