LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
Vacation strategies?

A week from tomorrow, DH & I are flying to San Francisco for a 4 day getaway. I am REALLY looking forward to the trip, but in the past, I have used vacations as an excuse to go off my eating plan and I always ended up completely derailing myself. Granted, this was in my calorie-counting days, so I was hungry all the time anyway!!!

I have checked Yelp to find restaurants where I can order yummy low-carb food. And I am packing macadamia nuts & jerky for plane snacks. But I know I will go a little off plan because we will be touring a couple of wineries and doing wine tastings. Other than that, I am sticking with the program.

Any other tips for staying on track while you are vacationing? Do you think the wine is a bad idea? I'd hate to give that up, but I will if I need to.
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
First, have a super good time on your vacation!

I like your strategy of bringing some food. I do that too. Nuts and jerky work great. One thing I like is coconut butter/coconut manna (not coconut oil) in a little baggie for the plane too. Oh and I try to bring two bags - one for the way there and one for the way home. It helps me not say "screw it" on the way home, or be flustered by not being able to find anything at the airport.

Another strategy I do is focus on yummy steaks. For me, restaurants can cook a steak better than I ever could, so that is a treat. I especially like to get an expertly-prepared ribeye. WOo hoo! Feels great the next day.

OH! And I also bring a bar of my favorite dark chocolate with me on a trip. That way I know I have a dessert if I feel like I need something. It helps me not feel deprived at a restaurant. I can ignore the dessert menu because I think to myself, I have a dessert waiting for me back at the hotel.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Steak, salad, cheese and jerky products are your friends.
You can get a steak and salad everywhere in the world, and markets everywhere sell cheese and jerky.
I've been to Poland, Russia, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia and Belgium this past year doing low carb, saved my ass no end
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Just returned from a week at Atlantis in Nassau. Because the food was prohibitively expensive, I filled up at the breakfast buffet and pretty much held out until dinner. They made fresh egg omelets and with bacon and sausage and cottage cheese, I was able to keep carbs pretty much under 20 for breakfast.

Wine is a trigger food for me, but on vacation in the wine country, I'd drink wine anyways.

My biggest suggestion so the vacation doesn't derail you beyond its duration: "don't eat on the way back" - I pretty much fasted on the way home and it was a great way to jump start your way back into clean eating. This was also useful when I went on frequent business trips.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Good advice, everyone! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I tend to be even stricter on trips because I don't want to feel sluggish from overeating or eating crappy foods.

I find it quite easy to stay on plan and I don't carry any snacks around. I don't eat on the plane or at the airport and that actually helps with jet lag.

I just think of how I will feel- we are going to the beach tomorrow, do I want to be bloated? We are going to be sightseeing for 5 hours after this meal - do i want to be enjoying the sights or feeling sick to my stomach? How will I feel in the clothes that I packed?

If I am outside of the country and want to eat some unique native food then I have a small portion. But, I generally do not go off plan on vacations in the US- not worth it. I do drink alcohol though but I stick with hard liquors.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Hey, dieting or not, I always pack my own plane snacks! And personally, tho I don't usually eat them, I pick up some protein bars just in case. On vacation, if I see something on a menu that's really special, I'll go ahead and have it. And it also doesn't mean you have to have the entire portion of whatever it is, but you've still had it.

Special for me would be, say really good artisan bread maybe and then I'd have one slice or maybe a really great dessert. Special wouldn't be a hamburger with a crappy bun or a Hershey bar just cos I'm on vacation.

You should absolutely enjoy yourself and the wine tastings.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to report back - I was on vacation for 4 days in San Francisco. Overall, I was pretty proud of myself. I had no wheat or sugar, and my splurges were several (6) drinks of wine at a tasting, one mixed drink (Bloody Mary) and one serving of French fries with truffle oil.

However, when I got back home, I was up 5.2 pounds!!!

I know that is impossible for that to be a true gain based on the amount of calories I ate (I tracked the whole time). It is that TOM, so I am hoping it is just a bad combo of that plus the extra carbs & sodium from restaurant food that is causing this bump up.

I am back on plan and drinking water like crazy - hoping for a big whoosh next week!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerOrchard View Post
Just wanted to report back - I was on vacation for 4 days in San Francisco. Overall, I was pretty proud of myself. I had no wheat or sugar, and my splurges were several (6) drinks of wine at a tasting, one mixed drink (Bloody Mary) and one serving of French fries with truffle oil.

However, when I got back home, I was up 5.2 pounds!!!

I know that is impossible for that to be a true gain based on the amount of calories I ate (I tracked the whole time). It is that TOM, so I am hoping it is just a bad combo of that plus the extra carbs & sodium from restaurant food that is causing this bump up.

I am back on plan and drinking water like crazy - hoping for a big whoosh next week!!!

But it will be gone in 3 or 4 days of clean eating. I think 3 days of induction is worth a good vacation!
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
Start Date: January 2014
Part of that weight gain may be water retention from flying as well...you should be my ankles and feet after a long haul international flight...on a domestic there is likely still a bit
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
Part of that weight gain may be water retention from flying as well...you should be my ankles and feet after a long haul international flight...on a domestic there is likely still a bit
yes, this. Especially when you add in salty foods on the plane. Drink a ton of water over the next couple of days and that bloat will surely come right off.

Good job on balancing indulgence with diligence on your vacation!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: badnews
Stats: 140/135/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 3, 2014
I wish I had seen this thread before you went on vacation! I currently live in SF and having lived all over the country, this is the EASIEST place to get low carb options. While it IS a foodie city- which means YOU have to restrain yourself- it's also very, very, VERY used to persnickety tastes and all restaurants will happily revise or modify a dish for you. Hell, there isn't a restaurant out here that doesn't offer gluten-free versions of dishes anymore and with a very health conscious population, most restaurants offer local, sustainable, organic meats, cheeses and veggies.

Hope you had a blast and would love to hear where/ what you ate!
badnews is offline   Reply With Quote