Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Layla91
Stats: 5'2" : [130/118/105]
Start Date: 1/2014
burned out runner/overexeriser

I have been a chronic "run to eat" girl and although I love running, it's made me develop a horrible relationship with food, satiety, and balance. I have tried literally everything from low carb to intermittent fasting, paleo, etc. and definitely feel best when LC but don't like running much on it. Given how burned out I've been with running and how it really hasn't helped me lose the last 10 lbs due to constantly cheating and giving into cravings, I'm ready to run less and eat less. I have been a volume eater for a long time and I think that caused me to lose the "full" sensation. I eat healthy but consume insane amounts of spaghetti squash, complex veggies to the extent of being very bloated and over filled. I also have been going way overboard on nuts/nut butters/dark chocolate with no added sugar and it's gotten out of control. I'd like to hear from people who have lost weight by mostly low carbing…how much exercise did you do? I also strength train but in general, feel very burned out by it all and want something maintainable.
Layla91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
The first thing I'd suggest is that you read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes...or at least read the part about exercise. He and many other experts say that while exercise is good for you in many ways, it is not a very effective weight loss vehicle. And in your case, it sounds like the way you approach it may be a problem.

I went through a very intense exercise period 4 years ago, and I did lose a lot of weight, BUT only in combination with cutting calories. And I thought of my work outs as calories I needed to burn, so I kept upping the length and intensity of them. Eventually I couldn't maintain it, fell off the wagon and gained all the weight back.

IMO, exercising to lose weight is like the proverbial mouse on the wheel, working hard and getting nowhere. And it also makes you very hungry, which might explain the "insane" amounts of stuff you're eating. While most the things you list are healthy and fine on a LC woe in moderate amts, there's a lot of carbs in them when you're eating as much of them as you are.

My thought for you would be to cut back on the exercise. Walk or run just a mile a day if you feel like it, or put it on the back burner altogether for now and concentrate on how you eat. That in itself is a good goal, and a big one. Put your focus and energy there. Read everything you can about LC, experiment with it to find out how it works for you. Build a varied list of LC foods and recipes you like. It has to be a lifestyle, not a diet or a race with the scale.

That's what worked for me, but it took awhile. 42 pounds down in a year, NO work outs, and very happy on this woe at this point.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Respectfully, what you are describing sounds to me like an eating disorder, or at least disordered eating and exercising that's approaching an eating disorder.

Have you ever talked to your doctor or therapist about your weight, eating and exercising problems?

What would you think of taking some time off from trying to lose weight?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Exercise stresses your body. Excess exercise is not good. I would suggest you read Julie's blog from paleomg. She went through something similar with cross fit.

I would also suggest, putting the exercise on hold and find a food plan that works for you. Keystones posted about her Dr. on here. Go watch his video on exercise. I hope you find a balance that works for you.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thank you ALL for your helpful input. I may put exercise on hold or at least ease up a lot as it is taking a toll on my adrenals, body, mentality, etc. Do I need to be in ketosis to really lose weight low carbing? what is a good low carb count to start with? any more advice you have is much appreciated. i know i feel best when my blood sugar is stable and i'm not bonking all the time. I'd rather run less and have a better relationship with food than depend on endorphin highs all the time.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Hey layla

I can relate, since I am def an exercise addict myself and can admit it. I guess it isnt the worst addiction out there.

Anyhow, what I have experienced is cutting back on cardio helped a bit with fatigue, but I still do weights like 5-6 times a week. Also, I was in the cycle like yourself of running in circles. Stop, breathe and eat for heavens sake! It will be ok. Once you start getting in the groove of lc, you can start the exercise again...

Just my opinion, you dont have to take it, obviously.

I also have been lc for about 10 years, and my body has adapted to this lifestyle, so I def think it takes time.

Ketosis- I think you need to be under 20 g. I struggle with this when I exercise, but right now I am around 20 somedays, and about 30 on others. I still feel more energy than when I was a vegan and NOT LC.

Hope this helps.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla91 View Post
I have been a chronic "run to eat" girl and although I love running, it's made me develop a horrible relationship with food, satiety, and balance....Given how burned out I've been with running and how it really hasn't helped me lose the last 10 lbs
Do you know what your body fat level is? You run regularly and sound as if you're physically fit overall so I have to wonder how much of that current weight of 118lbs is lean body mass (LBM) that you'd jeopardise by attempting to drop 10lbs - and that might account for why your body is sending a powerful, "No" to your attempts to shed that 10lbs.

E.g., if you have an LBM of 100lbs, then you already have an athletic body fat level of approx 16-17% and it might be that (depending on your age) your body is flatly refusing to drop your fat level any further and might even prefer to lower your metabolic output by chipping away at your relatively expensive LBM (in metabolic terms) or making you unduly tired.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-02-2014 at 01:48 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla91 View Post
I'd like to hear from people who have lost weight by mostly low carbing…how much exercise did you do? I also strength train but in general, feel very burned out by it all and want something maintainable.
I went from 330 to 140 and did not exercise. I detest it and find it boring. I'd go a time or two or three and then quit.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Yes, I love to run but most of the time, my mentality is running to be able to eat and I know that isn't great. Running temporarily reduces my appetite and I like that but at the same time, it greatly increases it later on. I have such an unhealthy relationship with having any food around that contains carbs. I do think going LC will help me…do most of you drink coffee in the AM? do you all eat breakfast? I am really really bad with portion control and hoping LC will help me with that. coconut oil makes me feel sick and doesn't suppress hunger..I know the traditional LC foods but any tips you all have to make satiating meals are much appreciated.

i eat a TON of veggies and know how to eat "healthy" but like I said, I have a hard time feeling satiated vs feeling full…fat helps with that, I know..avocados don't do much for me either esp when they aren't in season. do you eat bacon on a regular basis? any and all tips are so appreciated.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Layla---one of my fave LC treats is a steamed artichoke, each leaf dipped in mayo and butter, then at the end the yummy core. I often add a squeeze of lemon to the mayo. The Mayo and butter together are like a hollandaise sauce, so good. The ends of the artichoke leaves are nutty, like popcorn. In fact, while my hubby eats popcorn while we're watching a movie, I often make a steamed artichoke and don't miss the popcorn so much.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

thank you blue skies!!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
Before I was low carb, I ran regularly for several yrs & didn't lose any weight despite healthy eating. I finally lost 20 lbs in about 6 mos eating low carb & have maintained it for the past 2 yrs. & am at my ideal weight. I take my dog on daily short walks when the weather is nice, but otherwise I don't exercise much due to old injuries that flare up when I do. Exercise because you enjoy it & want to be healthy, but don't let it consume you in order to lose weight.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
Yes, I drink coffee in the morning on my way to work after a breakfast of 2 eggs & some kind of meat--varying it as omelets, fried, scrambled, etc. I do like sausage links w/ it at times, but eggs usually fill me up. You'd think that much food would keep me full until lunch since I'm only 5'0, but I get hungry by 11am. I mainly eat meat & veggies for most meals, but I eat small portions & snack on low carb foods when I feel hungry in between meals. Cheese, HB eggs & sugar free jello are my go-to snacks. Salads do not keep me full unless I add HB eggs & ham. Low carbing vs low calorie/low fat is the only thing that has worked for me.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Keep the advice coming ladies. All of you are really helping me. Also, I think a lot of the problem with being burned out is I have only been running instead of cross training…I didn't do anything but walk a little yesterday around town since I don't have a car in the city and ran errands, and then today I was going stir crazy in the rain but didn't feel like running although I did feel like sweating…I went to the gym and did the stair climber and felt way energized instead of burned out after. However, I have NOT started eating low carb yet so I expect my energy will go down when I stop being a sugar burner. To me, however it is worth the keto flu if I can sustain this WOE and finally get my relationship with food under control. I need to work on lessening the size of all my meals as I eat pounds of veggies like I stated before, and it's not satisfying that need for fat…I do eat a good amount of protein too, possibly too much so that it's converting via gluconeogenesis. Do any of you have tips for feeling full and stopping instead of finishing your plate? Do most of you eat 4 oz portions of protein? how much fat to feel full? I know it varies person to person but again, the more I hear from successful people, the more it helps me prepare.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Exercise is overrated when it comes to weight loss.

Moderate exercise is good for your health and it's good to tone the muscles... but what you eat is what really matters when it comes to cutting down your body fat.

Your body wants more food when you exercise to make up for the energy you burned.

Anyway my portions did not get smaller once I went LC but once my appetite dropped I could suddenly eat 3 times a day instead of 5-6. It is common for people to have less appetite once in ketosis so hopefully this will happen to you.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

This is great advice. I like the thread and I guess I should have mentioned that I think I need this advice as well. Layla... I am so with you on the exercise. On one hand, I love it but it isnt helping with weight loss and it really might be making me hold onto extra weight.

It does curb appetite for a short amount of time, but then I tend to overeat thinking it is ok because I worked out. Not a healthy way.

I am working on reducing my exercise to 4 times a week. However, it is hard, so I am with you.

Keep us posted.

others- thanks for the advice and insight.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all!! I feel so supported being on here. in the past when dieting, I always struggled with eating enough to be able to sleep through the night without waking up hungry at like 3 am. do any of you struggle with this? i can't drink much or I have to go to the bathroom. do you find that atkins doesn't have this problem since most are less hungry than other diets? do you wake up hungry? do you all have breakfast? i honestly prefer to eat more and not be hungry in the am so i can sleep and then wait until 2 or 3 to eat but, after running, working out, like I mentioned this creates that pattern of overeating and failure to recognize when I'm full.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Layla I going through a similar situation. I think it is possible to do low carb and running but you have to make sure you eat alot fat. I Not i a good place right now to walk away from my cardio , I get really depressed when I don't do it. I just can't go through that right now with school.

I hope someone says its doable on this board. I am not exercising for weight loss but to feel better psychologically.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Google "The Art and Science of Low Carbphydrate Performance" by Phinney and Volek. If you can keep yourself from falling off the edge into disordered eating and habits (since you mentioned you're prone to it) this is the very best resource on how to manage and even improve your exercise performance while staying low carb.

That, and their other book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" are top notch.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the book recs. It sucks as I definitely LOVE running but it does make me insanely hungry and eating low carb zaps my energy until I figure out how to burn fat for fuel. walking a lot helps too on days when I'm sore but endorphins are what get me through winters in the pacific northwest…lack of sun sucks and I LOVE nature. I enjoy being active but not to "burn off" excess calories so I think this approach will be good for me. So far, so good although I am eating slightly higher carb veggies such as brussels sprouts and artichokes along with romaine leaves but no dairy. Eating guacamole for fat as coconut oil makes me ill and staying away from nuts as they trigger more cravings. I do feel much more stable and not "sugar high". It's nice when the food I'm eating is satisfying but not "comforting" in the way carbs can be. most people do not grab a pound of chicken breast or ground beef when they're depressed in winter…it's always the ben and jerry's. thankfully, my "cheats" aren't as bad as the typical SAD diet but nut butters are a serious weakness for me.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Arctic- Thanks

Will order book. Definitely have read up on them before but I forgot about it.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
I think the combination of exercise and cleaner eating can cause SOME weight loss, but not necessarily what many people are looking for. Also Gary Taubes is probably correct. Fit people exercise more because it's easier to do so, not because exercise makes them fit.
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Being fit is about more than just having the right fat percentage though.

Taubes take on this won't make me forget about exercise but it will surely make me have a different mindset and prioritizing differently. Instead of spending half of my gym time on the treadmill I'll rather use it as a short warm-up before lifting weights

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-05-2014 at 12:50 AM..
Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
Being fit is about more than just having the right fat percentage though.

Taubes take on this won't make me forget about exercise but it will surely make me have a different mindset and prioritizing differently. Instead of spending half of my gym time on the treadmill I'll rather use it as a short warm-up before lifting weights
Cardio is important for cardio-vascular health. I don't think it's healthy to be hitting the weights very often.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

If you do it right and give your muscles enough time to recover... it is very much healthy.

Perhaps you are right about the cardio. But even so, a short upbeat exercise, like running or cycling as fast as you can for 3-5 minutes, will do more for you than jogging for an hour or walking an entire day. Let's face it, most people on the treadmill are thinking about how many calories they are burning more than anything else.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
If you do it right and give your muscles enough time to recover... it is very much healthy.

Perhaps you are right about the cardio. But even so, a short upbeat exercise, like running or cycling as fast as you can for 3-5 minutes, will do more for you than jogging for an hour or walking an entire day. Let's face it, most people on the treadmill are thinking about how many calories they are burning more than anything else.
I do 25 minutes on a treadmill mostly at 3.7mph with 3-4 "sprints" at 5.3mph lasting 1.5 minutes each, also at an incline of about 3.0-4.0 degrees.

Then I do 20 minutes at 3.7mph fast walk later at a similar incline.

I do weights 1 time a week at the gym.

I agree that doing a slow walk for 60 minutes isn't very effective, it's important to get the heart rate up for an extended period to get the benefits.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Does there really become a point where you get a ton more energy being in ketosis, with lower carbs? how much total meat do you all eat per day? I know portion size gets greatly reduced but I have trouble judging when to stop eating and make sure it is enough to hold me. i do really prefer not eating breakfast and eating later, more. is that bad? every time i eat breakfast, I just find my mind and appetite much more focused toward eating all day. I'd rather break my fast around 4 when I'm genuinely hungry and food tastes better, however I worry about over eating on the protein end. do you guys find once you get into ketosis you feel like exercising or walking even? i guess i've never hit that low a level but have low carbed to the point where my sweat smelled like ammonia and I felt like crap.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

If you fast until 4 then it's unlikely you are eating too much.

It's easier to fast when you low-carb, since you don't need the constant blood sugar boost to operate.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

I agree it is generally easy to do LC but I still think I could overdo it on the fats/proteins. plus i eat a ton of veggies even if non starchy. this makes it hard to gauge being full as the eating window is less so it's a lot of for but if I don't eat enough, I won't sleep well but if I eat too much, then I will spike my BG from having a large meal even if LC. Any info on this? experience with IF? recs for total amount of fat to eat if 1 meal a day?