Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Coots
Stats: 321/250.6/230's?
WOE: Mainly Atkins - My own body way.
Start Date: April 2011
Great low carb bread company - REVIEW (w/ pics)

As the title states, my wife and I ordered some low-carb items from Netrition, due to some snow, work and other things going on we froze the items and are just now getting around to testing them out. I'll be giving my honest review, both good and bad for each item as we test them out and if we order more items, review those as well.

LINK TO ALL ITEMS

ITEMS ORDERED
Hamburger Buns
Hot Dog
Everything Bagel
Onion Pockets
Sesame Bread

Sesame Bread
1 carb per slice
Wife's score: 9 out of 10
My Score : 9 out of 10
PICTURE LINK

Please note that we thawed the bread and toasted it before this test, which is what I read someoen else write in a post. That the bread is better toasted than just thawed.

When reviewing this one, my wife made a bologna sandwich, which frankly I am not a fan of. She doesn't "Low carb" ok, so I don't want to hear the drill about what's in bologna etc. I KNOW. Hence why I don't partake of it often. I do like fried bologna now that I think about it. ANYWAY.

The ONLY complaint about this bread is the size. This bread is really fantastic. The texture is right, the flavor is right, it isn't "spongy". But it's small. Which isn't particularly a bad thing really, it's just what we both thought. This could really be a game changer for those times when you really want to have something, but don't want to "cheat". If you've been on the fence about this sesame bread, don't hesitate.

OVERALL - 9/10 GET IT!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVERYTHING BAGEL
Wife's Score: 7/10
My Score: 8/10
PICTURE

Note we thawed and toasted the bagel for this test as well.

Wife's thoughts on the bagel. She said she thought the flavor was good, but the texture had a "spongy" feel to it when compared to a regular bagel. She said it reminds her more of an english muffin rather than a bagel. Another note is that she thought they would be better pre-sliced because when you freeze them and want to toast, you have to thaw them in the microwave before you can toast them. Nothing bad, just an extra step.

My thoughts: I thought it was good. It wasn't "exactly" what I was expecting. The flavor was spot on, but I will agree with the wife, the texture is just a little off for a "bagel". I slapped some cream cheese on it after toasting and it was good. I could see having a hot steak and cheese bagel or hot "sandwich" on this and it being really good.

OVERALL - I would buy these again, they just may not be the favorite of the bunch. The bread is definitely better so far. If it's a bagel you're after, these will do, but come into it with an open mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hey Coots, I enjoyed your review.

Funny though, my thoughts were in reverse of yours. Which is that I find the bread a bit spongey but really like the bagels and onion pockets.

I totally agree that the bagels are certainly not like the real thing, but I do think they're better than anything Low carb I've made or tried ready made. Same for the onion pockets. And I also agree that both these products are very good for a "hot sandwich" when you aren't concentrating just on the bagel or onion pocket. I make Tuna Cheesies on the onion pockets and they are seriously good.

I guess everyone has to try these products for themselves and see what they think, if they don't have gluten insensitivities and haven't sworn off all wheat no matter what. I have re-ordered the bagels and onion pockets, and I also decided to try the lemon cakes and ordered a few of those. Sounds like something that could be good w/a sprinkle of berries and a bit of whipped cream when you just need a dessert now and then.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hey Coots, I enjoyed your review.

Funny though, my thoughts were in reverse of yours. Which is that I find the bread a bit spongey but really like the bagels and onion pockets.

I totally agree that the bagels are certainly not like the real thing, but I do think they're better than anything Low carb I've made or tried ready made. Same for the onion pockets. And I also agree that both these products are very good for a "hot sandwich" when you aren't concentrating just on the bagel or onion pocket. I make Tuna Cheesies on the onion pockets and they are seriously good.

I guess everyone has to try these products for themselves and see what they think, if they don't have gluten insensitivities and haven't sworn off all wheat no matter what. I have re-ordered the bagels and onion pockets, and I also decided to try the lemon cakes and ordered a few of those. Sounds like something that could be good w/a sprinkle of berries and a bit of whipped cream when you just need a dessert now and then.
Thanks! I look forward to trying the hamburger bun. I think a mid-week hamburger could really change some stuff.

I do have a question, did you toast both of them when you had them? Maybe I didn't let my bagel get "toasty" enough to get rid of the spungyness (did i just make that word up?).
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coots View Post
Thanks! I look forward to trying the hamburger bun. I think a mid-week hamburger could really change some stuff.

I do have a question, did you toast both of them when you had them? Maybe I didn't let my bagel get "toasty" enough to get rid of the spungyness (did i just make that word up?).
Yes, I toast ANY "LC" bread, including all those I've made and those I've bought and tried. They are all better that way, by far, imo.

And you know, it's so funny, but I thought the same about the GLCBC bread I've tried only once, and then froze for later, as I didn't love it. Thought maybe I didn't toast it quite enough to get past that slight "Spungyness"---hat tip to you for the new word. Have not had this problem, for me, w/the bagels and onion pockets, so like I said, we're having reverse experiences here.

On the bagels and the onion pockets---which I really do suggest you try as I think they're quite good---I've found there is a sweet spot for me in the toasting. If you go too far, they turn into papery bricks. Not far enough, and a bit spongey, whether it's for you the bagels, or for me the bread, but I find the bagels and onion pockets a bit more forgiving in this respect.

So now when I toast the bagels or the onion pockets, I watch over them like a hawk, as they deserve a hawk's attention for how much they cost, LOL. I can now identify where that sweet spot is for me w/them. Like everything on our woe, it's all a matter of experimentation.

Do you have a Trader Joe's anywhere near you? Long before the GLCBC, I found Trader Joe's sprouted wheat bread, 4 NCs per slice, and so very good.
I have enjoyed a cheeseburger once a week on this bread for months, and like the GLCBC products, this has not made a change in the pace of my weight loss.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I only lightly toast the bagles. They can have a coarse texture of over "toasty".
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
You guys might also want to check out the ThinSlim bread line - I've never ordered the GLCB, but the Thinslim products only contain olive oil and are slightly lower in calories (no soybean oil, if you're watching that intake of soy or calories).

I've been ordering ThinSlim bagels products for years (previously under a different name, but the same product, basically) and have always been happy, with no weight gains.

Hope you don't mind me throwing my two cents in, and that you enjoy whatever you try (ps...I love the Thinslim muffins and brownies, as well...in case you go that far with indulgences, or care to do so!).
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl View Post
You guys might also want to check out the ThinSlim bread line - I've never ordered the GLCB, but the Thinslim products only contain olive oil and are slightly lower in calories (no soybean oil, if you're watching that intake of soy or calories).

I've been ordering ThinSlim bagels products for years (previously under a different name, but the same product, basically) and have always been happy, with no weight gains.

Hope you don't mind me throwing my two cents in, and that you enjoy whatever you try (ps...I love the Thinslim muffins and brownies, as well...in case you go that far with indulgences, or care to do so!).
I don't mind at all. That's what we are all here for... to learn and talk with each other about stuff that works for us and stuff that don't.

Maybe when we're done testing these prodcuts out we will try some of the ThinSlim stuff to compare!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered 2 pks. I'll be comparing products and testing my blood sugar. I'm all for products without soy!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, guys. I never want to thread-jack or take away from a great product, but I am interested in the comparison!
And they have me pretty much on anything chocolate, low-carb, and low-calorie
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I never want to thread-jack or take away from a great product, but I am interested in the comparison!
And they have me pretty much on anything chocolate, low-carb, and low-calorie
I second those above who are grateful for your post. I had seen the Thin Slim name around on the net, but it was great to have your testimony on it.

When my GLCBC order runs out, I think I will try Thin Slim. The price of both is the same, so that's not a factor. But one of the many things I enjoy about this woe is the experimentation, particularly when it works out well, but a couple of things that don't work are the price of learning. I'm interested in which might be better, or simply finding out they're both good.

Let's face it , there are precious few products out there that speak to a Low carb woe. And I do like to try those who try to speak to us, and if they're good, I'm happy to spread the word.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I agree with Blue here. One way I look at the extra cost of these type items is that I don't put them into my daily diet. Meaning that I use them sort of as a way to keep myself on my WOE when things get hard.

Last night for example. I came home from work (very stressful day) and thin sliced a New York Strip and made a steak salad with boiled eggs, tomato, cheese, some pickle, jalapenos, bacon bits with my homemade Ranch dressing.

It just didn't fill me up last night. I don't know why, it just didn't... so the cravings started it. So instead of going and getting some dessert or blowing the lid off of my diet.. I went and had a low-carb bagel with cream cheese instead.

It satisfied that need. So for a product to be able to fill that sort of missing part of the diet for me... the price is worth it.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys, yesterday I got my first order of GLCBC Lemon Squares. I LOVE THEM. Had one last night w/a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of raspberries, and OMG, SO good! 3 NCs and 50 calories each.

Like the other GLCBC products, they are not cheap at $2.49 for a small square, but then I look at the cost of ingredients and the time to make it, and it's a decent deal for me.

My only caveat on these would be that one might not be enough for those w/a big sweet tooth, or just a need for dessert on a regular basis---but even so the worry is about the cost not the carbs, and not the calories. I don't have a big sweet tooth, but every once in a while I want a sweet treat after dinner. I have been relying on berries and cream for this, and now this is an excellent option for me.

Coots---I so get what you mean when you say that these products help you maintain your woe. Same for me. And I agree, they are much better than so many worse choices when you want a little treat, a bit of variety, and to feel less deprived. The price is worth it to me too. I see every one of these options as one more way to be happier on this woe, in moderation. These are not products you want to chow down willy nilly cost wise, and that's a good thing, imo.

Although I'd love them to be cheaper, and someday when the rest of the world catches on to what the GLCBC has caught on to---the fact that this is a pretty unexplored niche in the American diet, hence the higher prices--- the costs will come down. But for now, these companies who are ahead of the curve are going to be able to charge more, as they have little competition to argue with.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I love the GLCBC bread but decided to try the Thinslim after reading this thread. Toasted my first slice today. I prefer the GLCBC but only a slight difference. The crust on the Thinslim is a bit darker and thicker and the bread about the same size. Slightly different taste. Really for such a slight difference might be better to avoid the soy oil for me. And I like the bread closure on the Thinslim - didn't have to struggle to get tape off the bag. Both are great products so now if one goes out of stock I will have an alternative. I use the plain bread in both products.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Quote:

Would you mind sharing the previous name of the products? I've order some bagels, which will arrive today or tomorrow.

I would feel more comfortable consuming them if I could search the previous name for any issues.

I haven't seen anything bad about ThinSlim, but there isn't much out there, so the previous history could be important.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I can't exactly recall the name (amazingly!), but I'll PM you the store where I purchased them, and they can tell you everything you want to know. I don't think I can mention them, since they do have an online shop. If you do try them, I hope you enjoy!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I can't exactly recall the name (amazingly!), but I'll PM you the store where I purchased them, and they can tell you everything you want to know. I don't think I can mention them, since they do have an online shop. If you do try them, I hope you enjoy!
Thank you for the info. I'll post what I think of them when I try them. I feel a little nervous, silly as that sounds, this will be my first faux bread experience. I'm praying the carb count is accurate. I don't want to get kicked out of ketosis. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

There should probably be a separate thread for ThinSlim, but since we have talked about both.....

I tried the ThinSlim everything bagels. I thought they were just ok and not worth the cost. I think I toasted it too much and it sat while I was preparing the rest of lunch, so I will give them an honest second try.

I had one half with cream cheese and smoked salmon and the other half with brie and Dickinson's sf apricot preserves.....and the apricot preserves were delicious.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Sorry you didn't enjoy them! I've always done the cinnamon bagels, but I suppose our tastes may just be different. Hope you like Round 2 better