LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Good triggers ---what are yours?

Most of us know what our bad triggers are when it comes to eating I think there are good triggers too---things we can do to be more rather than less committed to our healthier woes.

For me, my fave good trigger is an easy one. I don't wear sweats or baggy pants around the house. Those things remind me of my heavier days when I had to wear them to hide how heavy I'd become, and they're easy to eat too much in and still feel comfy and oblivious.

I have a pair of size 14 jeans I used to barely be able to get over my hips but saved them because I loved that pair of jeans. Now I can wear them, although they're still just a bit tight, but I wear them around the house all the time, and over the weeks I've been doing this, they've been fitting better and better. Soon I'll need to find a smaller pair to do the trick.

Those jeans are like wearing a string around my finger to remember how far I've come and how much I don't want to go back to where I was. They've saved me from eating many times when I really didn't need to.

So what about you guys? Have anything that triggers your commitment?

(**btw, there's a very good podcast on Jimmy Moore's site about bad psychological triggers by Kevin Geary, WITH transcript which I prefer---imo particularly noteworthy for its discussion on why we can't count on "will power" and why shaming ourselves because we fail at "will power" is wrong headed.)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I was just thinking about the baggy sweats thing recently. It is easier to wear them than face the too tight jeans, but some days I feel like the too tight jeans only make me feel more discouraged and bad about myself. I do think I need to work through this feeling and make myself wear real clothing around the house. Thanks for the thread!
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I was just thinking about the baggy sweats thing recently. It is easier to wear them than face the too tight jeans, but some days I feel like the too tight jeans only make me feel more discouraged and bad about myself. I do think I need to work through this feeling and make myself wear real clothing around the house. Thanks for the thread!
I think it works best when you don't choose something that makes you feel like a stuffed sausage, LOL, and certainly not something that's uncomfortable to wear. I started wearing the 14s when they fit well everywhere but the waist, creating a muffin top. It's that that I've watched go down, and it's been satisfying.

I also wear jeans that fit well on some days, but still ones I couldn't have dreamed of wearing months ago. I think wearing both help me appreciate the distance I've come. No more hiding me from me in the baggy stuff.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
There are so many things. Wearing my size 8 jeans, shopping in the Misses and Juniors sections of stores, not worrying about being able to fit into a restaurant booth, not being winded just walking around.

One thing I keep hanging in my closet is a shirt I bought right before I started low-carbing. I bought a size 26-28 top and didn't try it on. I tried it on at home and was mortified that it was too tight. It was the largest size in the plus size section. Granted it ran small, because I was typically and 20-22, but it was still a huge slap of reality in the face. It was in that moment that I decided I needed to do something about my weight. I watched that shirt go from being too tight to way too big. I keep it hanging in my closet when I start to feel discouraged and down on myself.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngeloftheHeart
Stats: 200/175/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-start 1-07-14- with a few cheats
I have the jeans too. I took a picture of me in them at the start and then over the next two weeks. When I first started back, they did not fit. Now, they actually stay at my belly button. ( I posted a two week progress pics in pg awhile back with said jeans.) So besides that, I have to say the cute undies I bought that my gut hung over and my love handles showed. Now, no love handles and I can get them over my belly!

It really is those small things. I'm thinking I need to buy a smaller pair of jeans to settle into

And of couse being told how skinny i'm starting to look doesn't hurt

I'm super lazy though and when I get home from work I just stay in my leggings

^Goal 150/140. Still want to be a *thick* chic. Hey, I got curves.....

http://alaskabound26.blogspot.com/

My blog of adventures & life in Alaska
AngeloftheHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
Blue Skies- I like your idea of No Sweatpants. And wearing fitted pants. This is inspiring me to rummage through my basement for the just-out-of-reach sizes.

One thing that keeps me on the motivation path is weighing every day and keeping track of my weight weekly in a huge Excel line graph. My weight data goes back to 2008, when I first started low carbing. I can easily see if my overall average line is starting to skitter upward and then I get crackin' on getting it back down.
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
good post Blue

a trigger for me.....seems weird but food is it---BACON!

a good trigger. IF I CAN get alot of bacon down me in the morning, it does some kind of automatic satisfaction immediately that lasts the day. My hunger is unusually controlled eating alot of bacon very early in the day.

another good trigger is being out of the house. can't wait for spring to get me out into the sun and fresh air vs. this horrible cold nasty weather keeping me indoors mostly.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't really think in terms of triggers but having the right mindset & attitude has kept me on my plan 24/7 for over a year. It is definitely habit at this point.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/196/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
Every time I workout, I have a trigger of sorts; I always crave healthier foods over junk.

It's not about wanting to "waste the workout," it's more about just feeling good all over, and wanting to keep that feeling going.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
I'm not sure if this falls into the category of good triggers or not, but about once a week, I take 15 minutes or so and browse swimsuits online. DH & I are going on a cruise in October, and seeing the cute suits in smaller sizes makes me want to keep going with my woe (I am not having any problems sticking with it, but those swimsuits make me EXTRA motivated!). I can't wait to buy a few of them~
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote