Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: haleyjr17
New Here, seeking motivation!

Hi there, I'm 25, and weighing in at 240 pounds. I desperately want to lose the weight and feel good about myself. I have tried to count calories, weight watchers, etc. and I feel that I am not good at moderation, and when I eat crap it keeps me craving junk. So, I am wanting to start atkins. My only question is I see people say that Atkins is not sustainable and that it makes you irritable and lethargic. Any experience with this? And any tips for getting started and staying on track. I'm nervous because I know I will have to eat different that my husband and child for the most part, but I know I have too. Thanks in advance!
haleyjr17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BubblyRen
Stats: 253/210/feeling healthy!, 5'5", 26
WOE: Generic LC
Start Date: 12/31/13
Hey Haley! I'm 26 and started out at 253 pounds just a little over a month ago. I'm not doing Atkins per se, but I am eating low carb. I noticed an almost immediate improvement in the amount of energy I had. There is an adjustment period of course, but for me it was only about a week or so. During that time I had some headaches and some really strong cravings for carbs. But right away I started feeling like I could get up and do things, whereas before I would come home from work and just crash on the couch day after day. That alone has been enough to keep me motivated so far, let alone the weight loss.

Anyway, welcome! You'll find a lot of supportive people here.

My Journal!
BubblyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome. Start now and keep going but in order to make sense of what you are doing - research. Read a book dedicated to low cab eating (any of the Atkins books and lots of others) but inform yourself. And use this forum for support. Such a great diverse and well informed group that are incredibly generous with their help. It is my life line even after all these years!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
You don't necessarily have to eat all that different than the rest of your family. You can make a meat and veggies for dinner for everyone, and a carbier side dish for them that you just don't eat, but you don't necessarily have to make a whole separate meal. Or if you make something like cheeseburgers for dinner, you just don't eat the bun.

There are so many AMAZING low carb dishes that your whole family would probably enjoy.

But you should definitely do the research and make sure that this is a plan that you want to commit to before jumping in.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
I have an eating disorder and I will always praise Dr. Atkins and the doctor that promoted this way of eating to me. My first round with Atkins took a year and I lost 75 lbs. First time in my adult life that I was not considered overweight or obese. Hurricane Katrina hit and my life went into a tailspin.

Second round I lost 50 lbs and then my husband lost his job and we moved back to New Orleans- another tailspin in life. Third round just this summer, I had lost almost 30 lbs. and our foreign exchange student moved in. Again more stress, more pounds.

Once again, I am trying again, menopausal, I have lost 14 pounds in 18 days. I am very obsessive and journal, weighing everything and make food sometimes different from family, sometimes I just add a starch to what I fix. It does keep me from my bulimic behavior from my teen years. I follow a combination from Atkins 72 and 92 DANDR. Sometimes I get concerned at some of the extreme things people are doing to lose weight in the name of low carb.

Keep it simple for yourself, this has always worked for me.
Breakfast - 2-3 eggs cooked in butter and bacon
Lunch - simple salad with dressing, 3-4 oz. grilled meat
Dinner - 4 oz. grilled meat, 1 cup vegetable with butter or olive oil and/or another smaller salad with dressing

Good luck!!

http://lowcarbmediterraneanjourney.blogspot.com/

Start weight: 261.8
Goal #1: 251.8 (-10 lbs.) met 1/21/2014
Goal #2: 241.8 (-10 lbs.) met 2/19/2014
Goal #3: 231.8 (-10 lbs.)
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Welcome. Start now and keep going but in order to make sense of what you are doing - research. Read a book dedicated to low cab eating (any of the Atkins books and lots of others) but inform yourself. And use this forum for support. Such a great diverse and well informed group that are incredibly generous with their help. It is my life line even after all these years!
^This. You would be way ahead to read one of the low carb diet plan books. Just so you know what you are supposed do. There is a lot of great support and wonderfully knowledgeable people here. But, educating yourself is important. Good luck!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: someonelikeyou
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-Start January 2014
Good for you for taking this step! Come here often for support.
someonelikeyou is offline   Reply With Quote