Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Non-scale victories - please share yours (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/821728-non-scale-victories-please-share-yours.html)

sbarr 01-28-2014 06:57 AM

Non-scale victories - please share yours

Just wanted to post a few words of encouragement and hope to hear from others who are seeing changes that the scale might not reflect.

These will be the reasons to continue eating LC, even if the Mr. Tanita (my scale) isn't cooperating.

Pretty clean eating all month. Down ~10, up 2, holding steady. The scale isn't rewarding me this week, so must look for something else.

I'll start with an embarrassing one: :o

Far easier to put on socks (I have very short arms and was getting a Budda belly).

What is your non-scale victory?

Mimosa23 01-28-2014 07:04 AM

I am experiencing no pain whatsoever from my three partially slipped discs in my lower back. I am attributing this to being consistently low carb and in ketosis and thus reducing inflammation and because I've started an exercise program.

I also noticed that I have really pretty and shapely wrists... They were covered in a layer of fat before, so I forgot they were nice!

LowCarbedD 01-28-2014 08:24 AM

I am post menopausal...Ive been told by virtually everyone..any hopes for a waist is but a dream.....the fat pad on my abs will always be there..and ( sigh) my padded boobage due to age will remain ...well.. in these last 2 months...Ive seen a HUGE difference..I have a real waist...the abs are down a lot and I lost a cup size...they LIED!!! I fit in my favorite dress!!!!! my skinny dress!! I almost gave it away because I figured it would never fit no matter the scale number!! Its cotton...fitted bodice...with NO spandex!!

this is AMAZING!!!

mimivac 01-28-2014 08:31 AM

I am bouncing back much quicker after unplanned indulgences. Instead of hiding from the scale the next day and, in some cases, having a few more bites of non-legal foods because "I can be accountable later," I am weighing every day, noting the effects of the food and getting back on plan immediately.

pulchritudinous_j 01-28-2014 08:41 AM

My FACE is so much thinner now in comparison with past pictures.
Also, I'm seeing more "jiggly fat" which is actually a GOOD thing because it means that the adipose in that area is dying off :D So, YAY for jiggles!

leeloo 01-28-2014 08:57 AM

Not a bit of heartburn, gas, or other digestive problems since I got back on the wagon 2 weeks ago - LC just agrees with me. :)

AngeloftheHeart 01-28-2014 10:12 AM

My favorite and $$ jeans fit me again! And much better than when I first bought them almost a year ago!

My love handles are holding onto less love! I'm soooo happy about that as I have that nice hour glass figure.

sbarr 01-28-2014 10:31 AM

These are great to read - I love to hear about WHY we're enjoying the journey along the way. Numbers are great, but the experiences are priceless.

Now if only the scale would start moving again...

Hayek 01-28-2014 11:17 AM

Mentally I feel great, and even the clothes from my previous "thin days" are starting to become too big on me :\ (particularly pants). Don't even get me started on the limited clothing I purchased at my ballooned weight lol.

But best of all, I love this way of eating/lifestyle (even if it weren't for the results) far more than I enjoyed the previous low-fat, high-carb lifestyle. I enjoy the way I feel, I enjoy the way I eat, just lots of enjoyment! Doesn't get much more victorious than that?

Emita 01-28-2014 11:56 AM

Since I haven't been exercising as much during the work day (no walks in this horrid cold spell we've had on the east coast..) I've finally held my psyche responsible and gone 2-3 weeks of having my tracking website goal set at "maintain" rather than "lose 1 lb per week" to produce artificially low calorie goals for myself.

Furthermore, I remained calm after carb ODing last night on peanuts and kale. I reminded myself that these were the least evil kind of carbs, and my net carb counting being 45 on a day when I did running/walking intervals for an hour, plus an hour of resistance training is not a real loss, (I've been trying out carb-cycling, too.) and that since going low-carb I've never had a true "binge" where I eat over 2500 net calories or consume tons of sugar.

I woke up and had a light breakfast and packed a protein and fat filled, LC lunch. Feeling good not guilty.

palegirl 01-28-2014 01:18 PM

Great job everyone. High fives all around!

For me, too, I'm fitting into all the "skinny" clothes including a linen dress that has no stretch to it at all. All the jeans and everything else I can always wonder if they stretched out somehow, but not this dress!

sbarr 01-28-2014 02:04 PM

I'm looking forward to closet shopping - A few years ago, I went from 200 to less than 140 and bought tons of new clothes along the way. I've saved those clothes and look forward to wearing them again - they're all pretty conservative and can be used for work or casual. I have a big rubbermaid bin for each decade below a certain point.

tinamanni 01-28-2014 02:22 PM

I am beyond being able to closet shop - which while great has been tough on the $$
The comments are always great but really
being able to say I weight less than my husband ever! has got to be the best victory.

sbarr 01-28-2014 03:27 PM

tinamanni - :jumpjoy: :lol:

danielsgirl 01-28-2014 03:36 PM

tinamanni - i'm so jealous of your NSV of weighing less than your hubby!! I was so excited that I was creeping up on almost weighing the same as him, and then he went on LC and lost 45 pounds! Now I'm still 40 pounds heavier than him :(

I have been going to Goodwill on sunday when certain color tags are 99 cents and getting clothes for work, I have lots of jeans that I can wear when I lose weight but no work clothes.

kimberlyann11 01-28-2014 03:39 PM

I have two:

I have some knee pain from when I twerked my knee walking the dog a few years ago. It's worse in the winter. I have been going down the stairs like a little kid - one step at a time. Well I noticed yesterday that I was walking down the stairs like a grown-up using both legs.

And today some bozo brought cupcakes to work. I would normally be all over those - but they didn't even tempt me - I just ate the lunch I brought - a creamy, spicy chicken soup. I brought bacon and shredded cheese in separate containers for toppings. A coworker told me she was jealous of my lunch. If I had an extra container I would have given her some to take home because it was a lot.

Blue Skies 01-28-2014 05:25 PM

At almost a year on low carb, I've had many NSVs. Lately my biggest NSV is that I'm REALLY enjoying how I eat. Not feeling deprived, not mentally mooning around for more carbs.

LCing has sort of turned into my "hobby" and I'm so enjoying getting better at it and learning more. I've collected so may good ideas and recipes that are easy and yummy so I'm feeling like I'm eating like a queen, AND losing weight. 40 pounds so far. Does it get better than that?!

LindaM 01-28-2014 05:32 PM

I haven't really lost the past few days. But I noticed my stomach the midrift area didn't seem like it was up under my boobs like it usually is. Just a bit flatter than it was.

~PaperMoon~ 01-28-2014 06:04 PM

I was in Walmart yesterday looking at clothes which is where I used to always buy my clothes, and I decided I would look at the size I used to buy at my heaviest just to see what it looks like to me now. I never saved any of my old clothes from when I was bigger and even though I could see pictures of how I looked, a picture is 1 dimension. So I went and looked at some pants that were a 4x and O...M...G!!!! I was in shock, those pants were HUGE!!. My whole body now can fit in 1 pant leg! I was in shock. When I was that size I did not realize I was that big! I had gotten used to that size and was in denial. Then I looked at the shirt of that size and it looked equally as huge. I can't believe I used to wear that size! I know I did but OMG, it was a shock now that I've gotten used to being the size I am now. I used to wear a 5x in tops and a 4x in pants. Wew! It was just a shocker it was like I couldn't breathe when I saw how big those pants and tops were. Never again will I ever be that size! That's for sure!

emily1 01-28-2014 09:27 PM

My non-scale victory is all the delicious healthy food I have learned to cook over the last year on my lc some of the highlights include: kale chips, low carb pizza, zooghetti, eggplant lasagna. I am starting to take pictures of all the food I make. I have learned to cook and enjoy my food. Every day seems like a low carb adventure for me as far as finding new things which makes it so much fun

Catnapper 01-29-2014 10:06 AM

I started lchf to get control of my blood sugar. First things first, for me. I have seen great improvement in blood sugar levels and I am doing it without medication. I still have high fasting blood sugar, and don't quite know what to do about it. I will have my annual physical on Monday and at that time will discuss the results of my blood tests. They include fasting insulin, c-peptides, lipid panels, thyroid, and much more. I hope to see progress. Weight loss would be nice, but at 72 years old, I don't expect quick changes. Every little bit helps.

Emita 01-29-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily1 (Post 16777613)
My non-scale victory is all the delicious healthy food I have learned to cook over the last year on my lc some of the highlights include: kale chips, low carb pizza, zooghetti, eggplant lasagna. I am starting to take pictures of all the food I make. I have learned to cook and enjoy my food. Every day seems like a low carb adventure for me as far as finding new things which makes it so much fun

I love cooking low carb! My next goal is eggplant lasagna too. I loveee lasagna for the meat, cheese, and sauce, not the pasta! Cannot wait. What is zooghetti? How'd you do your kale chips? :)

leeloo 01-29-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ (Post 16777409)
I was in Walmart yesterday looking at clothes which is where I used to always buy my clothes, and I decided I would look at the size I used to buy at my heaviest just to see what it looks like to me now. I never saved any of my old clothes from when I was bigger and even though I could see pictures of how I looked, a picture is 1 dimension. So I went and looked at some pants that were a 4x and O...M...G!!!! I was in shock, those pants were HUGE!!. My whole body now can fit in 1 pant leg! I was in shock. When I was that size I did not realize I was that big! I had gotten used to that size and was in denial. Then I looked at the shirt of that size and it looked equally as huge. I can't believe I used to wear that size! I know I did but OMG, it was a shock now that I've gotten used to being the size I am now. I used to wear a 5x in tops and a 4x in pants. Wew! It was just a shocker it was like I couldn't breathe when I saw how big those pants and tops were. Never again will I ever be that size! That's for sure!

Wow. That is amazing and inspiring.

~PaperMoon~ 01-29-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeloo (Post 16778356)
Wow. That is amazing and inspiring.

Thanks! :)

Demonica 02-04-2014 10:17 AM

My first dentist visit in 9 years *eeK!*

My teeth are in great shape! I had to have a deep cleaning because of major tartar build up, but no cavities, minimal bone deterioration and no decay.:D AND I got a pat on the back from my dentist for being a low carber.:up:

LowCarbedD 02-04-2014 10:41 AM

<bump>

where's_kyla? 02-04-2014 10:58 AM

This is a great thread - i want to comment on everything!

Closet shopping! yes!!! I have my eye on some of own things i havent worn in so long...

One thing for me is how calm i feel - when i was eating whatever, i always felt out of control, helpless, guilty, wrong, etc. Lately I feel calm, safe almost.

One thing Im not sure I like is that I have lost some weight from my chest area - lol, which a little is fine but there are more pressing areas I could lose it from!! dang it!

Emita 02-04-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonica (Post 16786208)
My first dentist visit in 9 years *eeK!*

My teeth are in great shape! I had to have a deep cleaning because of major tartar build up, but no cavities, minimal bone deterioration and no decay.:D AND I got a pat on the back from my dentist for being a low carber.:up:

awesome! Eat that xylitol, right? It's good to hear a doctor who knows what's up.

@Where's Kyla: I know what you mean. Even when I've gone over on calories, maintaing 20% or less carbs and no sugar has made any weight gain minimal or not happen at all so far. I find it so much easier to get back up and start over calmly the next day if I "overeat" or go slightly above my carbs. When I was crash dieting it was far too easy for one day's failure to become a weeklong binge and self-loathing party. I think part of it is the blood sugar, part of it is that we're eating truly healthful foods and not lacking nutrients leading to cravings, and part of it is the faith that this really does work as a WOE and WOL!!

danielsgirl 02-04-2014 02:36 PM

OMG - today came home from work, grabbed some clothes and changed super fast so i could cook something to eat because I felt sick from skipping lunch. while i was standing at the stove i thought "man these jeans feel snug, I wonder why... I just wore them 2 days ago" while I was cooking I couldn't shake the thought of wondering why the jeans were tight, so I took them off and looked at the tag and they are an 18! YAY! I didn't even notice which ones I had grabbed, what a nice surprise! I've gone from a 26/28 to an 18!!!

shortcut 02-04-2014 04:18 PM

The waistband of my underwear doesn't fold over before I get my jeans on.