Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
I looked in the mirror at the gym...I was facing sideways...my menopausal gut is GONE..I have a bust...then its flat all the way down..my legs are thin and muscular.....I was able to do the elliptical EASILY...when I put my membership on hold in Jan.. it was still intimidating...
My son returned to bike riding last week...I beat him in MPH and in hill climbing..he was sooo affirming..

I fit in sz 2..several brands...but Im a solid sz 4...xsmall in tops...several sz sm....Im smaller than my beautiful small daughters....I can outwalk anyone I know...My fitness exceeds those I know who are 25yrs younger..I can boulder with the best of them...
I am 59....What I once thought was old..
goal made 04.04.14
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
The past few weeks have been more fun than I have had in a long, long time. I have been feeling so good about myself and really letting loose. I made a few new friends who I am having the time of my life with. I met them at a gay bar and we've been a party posse, but now it's so much more, today we climbed a mountain, 8 miles, and then came back to the city and hit up the gayborhood for late brunch and then party time. I'm so happy to have made these friends and I feel more self-confident and just so much more like myself than I have in a long time. Non! Scale! Victory!

Also, these speedy gentlemen were racing up the mountain. I really had to push myself to keep up. And instead of just asking them to slow down, I did really push myself to work hard all the way up.
8/13-3/14 206/164.5/145?

I'm losing weight sloooooowly now.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
I looked in the mirror at the gym...I was facing sideways...my menopausal gut is GONE..I have a bust...then its flat all the way down..my legs are thin and muscular.....I was able to do the elliptical EASILY...when I put my membership on hold in Jan.. it was still intimidating...
My son returned to bike riding last week...I beat him in MPH and in hill climbing..he was sooo affirming..

I fit in sz 2..several brands...but Im a solid sz 4...xsmall in tops...several sz sm....Im smaller than my beautiful small daughters....I can outwalk anyone I know...My fitness exceeds those I know who are 25yrs younger..I can boulder with the best of them...
I am 59....What I once thought was old..

I want to be you!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
I love this thread. Something for us all to celebrate.

I had another couple over the weekend.

I took a 5 mile walk around a nearby lake. We didn't drive to the lake and walk, we walked to the lake and walked around it and walked back home. Always good.

Also, I'm in the process of building a storage shed in my backyard. Hadn't worked on it since before I restarted, two or so weeks ago. Prior to my restart, I had a hard time bending over framing the first wall for the shed, or nailing the siding on. Was short of breath, dizzy, and couldn't do much. This weekend, I actually framed and sided the whole wall without a problem! Very amazing, as this tells me that my 53 yo body is going to be able to do more and more stuff. Oh, and in this same time period, my scale hasn't moved at all, but the measurements have.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/227/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
Got my bloodwork results back from the lab today. Everything looks good. LDL, HDL, and a bunch of acronyms I had to look up, are all within the "normal" range. My triglycerides were MUCH better than they have been in several years.

BMI charts still say I'm 50+ pounds overweight though. I think I'm within 20-23 of my goal though. I'll never weigh 188 pounds as BMI suggests.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 06-02-2014 at 02:20 PM..
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegirl View Post
The past few weeks have been more fun than I have had in a long, long time. I have been feeling so good about myself and really letting loose. I made a few new friends who I am having the time of my life with. I met them at a gay bar and we've been a party posse, but now it's so much more, today we climbed a mountain, 8 miles, and then came back to the city and hit up the gayborhood for late brunch and then party time. I'm so happy to have made these friends and I feel more self-confident and just so much more like myself than I have in a long time. Non! Scale! Victory!

Also, these speedy gentlemen were racing up the mountain. I really had to push myself to keep up. And instead of just asking them to slow down, I did really push myself to work hard all the way up.
This is awesome! I've been having similar experiences - projecting better self-respect, happiness, etc. Met people hiking and rock climbing and have being hit on right and left... uh oh.
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #157
gab
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gab
Start Date: March 6, 2013
Went closet shopping in my mother's closet She has been losing weight too so the clothes too big for her now, are just my size.
gab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Finally had to give in and buy all new pants since mine were completely falling off without a belt and looked ridiculously baggy when mostly kept up with a belt.

Thankfully I did this during memorial day weekend sales so that particular NSV wasn't too crushing on my wallet.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Gee, and here I thought that was the style now!!!
LOL!!
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

I have a shelf in my closet full of shorts. Some of them are larger, size 38, even a couple pairs of 40s. I had a few old 36s from several years ago. I'm having a hard time finding any to fit. I have to wear a belt with almost all of them. I really need to buy some new ones. I've been buying some smaller shirts, and running all of my larger ones through the dryer, hoping they shrink. I used to hang dry most of my shirts, in fear that they would shrink, and wouldn't fit around my gut! As much as I like being a size smaller, I HATE having to buy new clothes!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

I am a big believer in body fat % vs. scale only. I have started doing weekly tracking using two body fat calculators, the Navy Body Fat Calculator and the YMCA body fat calculator. You can find them online by searching those names. They are considerably varied from one another, but I use them both, and am tracking on both and also use an average. I feel that this is the real "measurement" that will give a much better indication of what your real progress is. Too many variables on the scale alone....
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Interesting, thanks for posting those. I've used BMI calculators before, and they all show the same results. BMI says I'm too short! They always tell me my ideal weight is 188. Which is 100% unrealistic....I'd be 0% body fat at 188. My digital scale here at the house, measures body fat percent. It fluctuates but usually tells me 24-29%. The Navy one, is very different than BMI. It says I'm "fit"...which seems very optimistic! It says my body fat is 17%, with 40 pounds of fat, and a lean mass of 198. Funny, since BMI says I should weigh 188!

I'm just over 50 pounds lost, from 290 to 238, and think I still have 15-20 to go. BMI says I need to lose 50 more.

Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 06-05-2014 at 08:30 AM..
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

The YMCA Body Fat Calculator also says 24%...which coincides with the Navy Calculator. BMI says I'm 29.7.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the BMI is mean to estimate body fat percentage? It's just an arbitrary numbering system that is combines two factors --weight and height and does not take circumference into account.

The Navy one has apparently been reverse-engineered from years and years of data so that if you are X tall, and weigh Y and have a Z waist and have a N neck they are reasonably certain you are P body fat. Not sure where the YMCA data comes from.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

You are correct, BMI is just a "you are this tall and should weigh this much" which to me, is way too generic.

I just had a debate with someone over body fat percentile. Their reasoning being, they knew a guy the same height as me who weighed 190, and had 15% body fat, and that number should also apply to me. I kept trying to explain that everyone is shaped and built differently. The lowest I've ever weighed at my adult height is about 225. According to my current numbers, at 15% I would weigh 202...and they argued that's way too high. Oh well, I give up. I guess my target is still way too fat! 15% is really low in my opinion. This guy, I'm being compared to, is a marathon runner!

Last edited by TheBigKahuna; 06-05-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Don't you hate arguing with ignorance? I'm sure there are some great articles out on the internet that explain the difference that you could share with him. Both of the calculators I referenced have me at over 200 lbs lean body mass, which is over the recommended weight for someone my height (6'2") on BMI scale. So, like you said, I could have negative body fat, and still be overweight.....
Old 06-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

I'm still overweight, and have never denied that. I also ended up needing to lose a lot more weight than I thought over the last several years. If you had asked me, 5 years ago, if I'd be happy at 235, I would have said 'hell yes". And I am happy, but I know I still have probably 20 more pounds of fat to lose...all the while, adding back lost muscle. I may very well reach my ideal "mirror weight" while weighing 220-225 when all is said and done. I don't know why I even bother with the BMI stuff. Usually it's just morbid curiosity. Even when I was a much younger man, and got on one of those scales at GNC, that after you enter age, height, weight, body type, etc, would give you an ideal weight, calories a day required to get to that weight, etc....it would tell me my ideal weight was in the 180s. I'm very confident that I'll never weigh into the 180s.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #168
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
OMGosh! I am winning the war! One day at a time, one victory leads to the next...

I am becoming a recognizable figure walking through my neighborhood. I've been consistently walking for a few months now. I live in a very cool historic district and people look up from reading their books (and Kiindles!) on their front porches and smile and wave. I chat a minute with someone working in their front yard. I've helped hunt for an escaped dog. All these nice people I don't even know...

Today I was tired & felt like skipping my walking. I got out the door and it was sprinkling. I turned around and went back inside. A glass of water later I got myself out the door again. Still sprinkling but very lightly. Up & down streets, over to a local campus where I walk a lot and up/down flights of stairs and back & forth on sidewalks all over campus.

It started pouring & I realized I did not need to cut my walk short because many of the walkways were covered. I headed toward them & was greeted by a couple security guys in a covered cart. One said my walking in the rain looked invigorating! I said yes, that I was hot & it felt good.

When the rain let up I headed toward home. It was sprinkling but it felt good. I was so hot & sweaty from my walking! As I came down my street it started pouring! lol... I just laughed & looked up at the sky! I lifted my arms and twirled around. It was like God was sending me a nice cool shower as a reward for taking care of my body!

Another neighbor waved and laughed from his porch and, as I passed, his son's laughter filled the air, too. I had to laugh as well; I knew I was drenched & must be a sight!

How did the couch potato that couldn't walk around the block get to this point??? I used to look for excuses not to exercise and here I was out walking in the rain! It is so amazing to me even though I know how it happened! It started with the decision to eat healthy. One meal after another. The smaller I got the better I felt the more I moved & suddenly I wanted to do more. It is like dominoes! All the walls are falling down.

I feel so sure of what I am doing. I know I will surpass my fitness goals. I wish I could share this feeling with everyone. It is wonderful! I feel so positive and optimistic it is impossible to describe.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 06-12-2014 at 07:50 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
You are rockin' it, DiamondDeb! Walk on with your bad self .
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/193/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
My intestines are silent... seriously, they don't gurgle and grunt and make all sorts of noise like they did when I was eating carbohydrates

I don't look 9 months pregnant after a meal anymore, thank God!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticbliss View Post
My intestines are silent... seriously, they don't gurgle and grunt and make all sorts of noise like they did when I was eating carbohydrates
Isn't it great? I love how I don't have gas all the time now
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
And no more heartburn....anymore.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
What great things to read this morning - it made my day!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #174
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alexia_88
Stats: 193/181/142
Start Date: 9/6/14
Love reading all of these NSV's, they're such great motivation for a newbie!!

I've only been LC since this Monday and the NSV's are already stacking up.

I went out for a work event yesterday and turned down my favourite cocktails - sticking to water.

This week I've walked a minimum of 4 miles a day, mostly uphill.

But the biggest NSV of them all, the stomach problems that have been haunting me for years seem to have disappeared. I've not been bloated once since going LC. Never felt more comfortable on an eating plan ever!!
alexia_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I finally have had a boost of confidence for the first time in a long time! I feel good in dresses and shorts, heck in anything! Not to sound cocky. KWIM? I feel good inside and out!!! I finally feel like, well, ME!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticbliss View Post

I don't look 9 months pregnant after a meal anymore, thank God!
I agree and no ungodly flatulence aka farts

I tightened a notch in my belt that I wear with jeans.

This is a great thread; it isn't just about the numbers on the darned scale.
vli1127 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
NSV, indeed Diamond Deb.

Your post made me think of Gene Kelly and the singing in the rain sequence in the movie by that name.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BonBon19
Start Date: Summer 2008
Way to go, Diamond Deb! I'm glad you have found your formula, and happy that you are so happy! Congrats to everyone else also!
BonBon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/224/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
After 12 years i am able to wear my wedding ring again. Whoo Hoo!
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
And the shoes that were too tight before, fit now!
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote