Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitforever
Stats: 5'10", 140 lbs - at optimum weight
WOE: Low Carb Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
I really enjoyed this video, just posted it on another thread. I really wish that I could get certain family members to check it out.
I have been trying for months to get my wife to read all my low carb books to understand why I am 100% committed to a low carb/ketogenic diet for the remainder of my life. I had her listen to Dr Naiman's Diet video last week and she what shocked by what she heard and now understands what I am doing. She does not even have to read my books. She get's it now so this morning for the first time we prepared and shared a high fat/protein breakfast using eggs, bacon, spinach and coconut oil.

If Dr Naiman's videos were on You Tube they would go viral very quickly. Can someone make this suggestion.
Fitforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I don't know why he hasn't posted to youtube. Perhaps it is like a resume, you don't want to launch it until you are sure you have it the way you want it.

I don't know what would have happened to me if my old doctor had not left the practice. I had tried Atkins twice to no avail, because I could not do induction (the second time, I even bought the video, I wanted to bad). I can't do drastic dietary kickovers, no matter what. Even now when I do a drastic dietary kickover, I get really, really ill.

Honestly, I got more out of his talk in my short appointment (I didn't get the benefit of this long video, he had not put one out yet in 2005) than I ever did reading about low carb. The best part was telling me that metabolic syndrome meant that my weight was not my fault.

We need a short, concise message. There is nothing like a doctor telling you what exactly is wrong and what exactly to do. Nothing is more effective.

I Dr. Naiman!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dr. Attia

Wow, did you notice Dr. Naiman has suggested materials on his website? I just watched this. It is awesome...

= = = =

What if obesity has nothing to do with eating too much? Dr. Attia discovered, from personal experience, that metabolic syndrome caused him to gain 40 pounds despite exercising 3-4 hours per day. He lost the weight when he addressed what he believes is the real problem. He looks great!

Very touching how he learned compassion for people he once viewed with contempt.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #35
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
His blog is very good too. He covers many topics concerning nutritional ketosis. It is called the eating academy.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Wow, Keytones thanks for sharing.....that is an AWESOME video!
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
His blog is very good too. He covers many topics concerning nutritional ketosis. It is called the eating academy.
Thanks Cathy! I am looking for good NK blogs.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #38
Chatty Cathy

There is another youtube of Dr. P. Attia talk that he did in Jan. 2012 for an organization called jumpstartmd. It is actually very good on the topic of cholesterol as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Key Tones, did you do the high intensity exercise like he talks about? I'd be very interested to know what to do for someone like me who is so out of shape and unable to sprint. I can start with the wall pushups and squats, but not sure how to include the cardio part of it. Exercising for shorter times with great intensity sounds really good for someone like me who hates to exercise. I have to get my metabolism back in order to keep blood sugar in check.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am starting. My doc caught me AWOL and put me back on a ketogenic diet a few weeks ago. I am only now getting acclimated and feeling good.

I am doing the pushups with an exercise ball to get started.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

So you didn't do the exercise he describes during your 100 lb weight loss?

I've been LC off and on for a long time. Finally about 2 years ago I lost 65 and have kept them off mostly by a moderate LC diet. I don't eat anything like I did when I was at my highest weight. But I'm now working to kick it up a notch, start with under 25 carbs a day eating high fat mod protein with veggies kicked in. I'm going to give up dairy for a couple weeks and see it that helps kick start the weight loss. I know I am one of those people who cannot eat a higher carb diet and be healthy. But there are some who seem to get away with it, like my husband. Probably because he is very active.

I'm starting with the pushups too. I guess we're just supposed to do them until we just can't anymore? I'm doing squats, too which seems to help my sore knees. I finally get that strong muscles help keep our joints working good.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Great thread! Thank you.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
So you didn't do the exercise he describes during your 100 lb weight loss?

I've been LC off and on for a long time. Finally about 2 years ago I lost 65 and have kept them off mostly by a moderate LC diet. I don't eat anything like I did when I was at my highest weight. But I'm now working to kick it up a notch, start with under 25 carbs a day eating high fat mod protein with veggies kicked in. I'm going to give up dairy for a couple weeks and see it that helps kick start the weight loss. I know I am one of those people who cannot eat a higher carb diet and be healthy. But there are some who seem to get away with it, like my husband. Probably because he is very active.

I'm starting with the pushups too. I guess we're just supposed to do them until we just can't anymore? I'm doing squats, too which seems to help my sore knees. I finally get that strong muscles help keep our joints working good.
I generally did not exercise much for the first 80 pounds of weight loss. Sometimes I did exercise, like doing the Mark Sisson exercise videos, or a lot of walking. The Sisson exercises helped with toning, as does some exercise ball work with hand-weights (I just followed some free youtube videos). The walking definitely helps insulin resistance, but I had to be out walking all night after work for any noticeable affect with the scale. I lost slightly more weight doing that, but then you also have to take into account that I was nowhere near the kitchen while doing all that walking....I remember I did join a gym at some point when I was up over 300 pounds, but felt that it was not helping and quit going.

More recently, I did some exercise last year (long bike rides for fun), while trying to lose weight doing it with some bio-hacking experiments (protein-sparing, modified fast (PSMF) and yes, even the potato hack), but I couldn't do it without either eating up for the ride (3-5 hours rides) and/or popping raisins. I am sure it is possible, but I was not eating a proper diet during these experiments. I was just desperately trying to lose weight any way I could. Not a good thing, and I knew it, but I just didn't care. At the root of this insanity - I was freaked out over my husband passing away and threw myself really, really hard at this as a way feel some control. And maybe I could find a way to feel good again, find a way to enjoy life again. Be able to do all the things everyone else can do. Like go skiing or snowshoeing. I thought if I could just do those things, I might find my way to a happy life again. I've never done those things, still. I just can't. I'm still too heavy.

I was super-happy with the weight loss, but when I hit high stress and freaked out right before the holidays (over layoffs at work just before Thanksgiving), I just completely lost focus and went completely AWOL and stress-ate and gained back what I lost on the bio-hacking experiments. I was sure that I had been targeted for the layoff, and when I didn't get tapped, well, I wasn't relieved. I just freaked out even more--about whether I was going to be next. Or, whether my employer is going to go out of business. I actually didn't care that I was stress eating. Sigh. I finally have danced with these thoughts long enough to realize that it is me that is going to kill me, not my employer! I landed in my doctor's office.

My doctor is cool with bio-hacking, BUT he reminded me that I do have insulin resistance and that just because something is causing weight loss does not mean it is healthy. And, I can't be indiscriminately stress-eating. My A1C is climbing. This is very bad news. So, he has reeled me back in and told me that I cannot be going off my diet. He prescribed nutritional ketosis, so, I am researching how to do this properly (see my threads linked below).

I have started exercising, but as Volek/Phinney have noted, while keto-adapting, it is generally not the time to go all gung-ho exercising. I am taking it easy, but I am indeed starting up, slowly.

I have evidence that I am really keto-adapting now. Today was my first day of a spontaneous intermittent fast! I was busy, I went to a paleo book club and met up with a friend, then needed to go shopping, then had to take my daughter back to the dorm...the next thing you know, it is 11 pm and I have only had a coffee since I ate lunch at 1:00!

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-09-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Key Tones, did you do the high intensity exercise like he talks about? I'd be very interested to know what to do for someone like me who is so out of shape and unable to sprint. I can start with the wall pushups and squats, but not sure how to include the cardio part of it. Exercising for shorter times with great intensity sounds really good for someone like me who hates to exercise. I have to get my metabolism back in order to keep blood sugar in check.
I hear you on the sprinting. I am way too large to be sprinting (FYI - I am wide-framed but small-boned). I am going to do bike sprints. I live in a hilly area, so I can make that work.

I really, really like my exercise ball for pushups, and clutching the stairwell for assistance for leg work for now.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-09-2014 at 11:25 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much, Key Tones, for being so generous sharing your experience and all the great information. I am a firm believer that weight loss is in no way a ONE SIZE FITS ALL lifestyle. I do think that keto adapting and HFLC is probably what this ol' bod needs to lose more weight and improve my health. Its making more sense for me the more I learn. And you have helped me a lot sorting this out some more.

I'm starting into the daily exercise habit slowly too. I saw my doctor last week and she was pleased with the progress I've made but insists that if I exercise (walk or go in the pool) that my metabolism will love me for it and I'll be much more mobile with ease. Not that I'm immobile but when walking for hours, ouchie I feel it terribly over the next few days. Gotta reverse that.

For me its also a matter of how mobile and flexible I want to be as I get older. My mom uses a walker and an electric scooter to get around now. I'm serious about doing what it takes to avoid that as long as I can, hopefully always. So I know I have to get off my rear and move more NOW. I was very fascinated by Dr Naiman's explanation of HIIT. Anything that gets results in the shortest amount of time sounds good to me.

I also love riding my bike. Unfortunately I live on a very busy road that I would not feel safe on. Its very hilly too. So I do load up my bike and go to the park and I love riding. I just don't do it nearly enough.

I too am motivated wanting to do more fun things that will come with getting in good shape. I would love to ride a horse, play tennis, take longer hikes with no residual aching afterward. And I'm going to do this things by getting my insulin resistance and metabolism working again.

I love that you know you are keto adapting now. How long did it take to get there? I did IF for awhile, but I had a hard time not overeating the day after a fast. The science behind keto adapting makes such sense to me and I'm going to stick to it, one day at a time, and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your info. Its helping me understand the reasons why nutritional ketosis really works for some of us.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #46
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Ketones, Thanks for sharing your Dr's Videos with us. Even though it's a youtube video, he doesn't have an account but I can still share it, so it's all good. I also pinned in my pinterest!

I was surprised and pleased at this explanation of exercise and muscle and it seems to support Slow Burn type fitness, which I'm interested in but I do it alone in that none of my friends think it's valid.

Thanks again!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you again!

It was theraputic but off topic really to talk about my personal wanderings, but I want to be honest.

I love, love, love my doc. He is the greatest.

It is hard to talk to people that are into aerobic exercise. I want to be able to get to the point where I can do fun things without my weight stopping me is all.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Thanx for sharing. Watched the first minutes...

Am I over-reading into it or did he kinda explain why Asians can eat a lot of rice and not get overweight? The insulin sensitivity thing. It has so often happened to me that people point out that most Asians are thin despite eating a lot of them... as a point that carbs aren't the enemy.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Genetics are a part of it. Just like a higher percentage black people are lactose intolerant, and a higher percentage of Native Americans seem to have the genetics that can lead to problems with alcohol, there are groups of people who are genetically less prone to insulin resistance.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Ok finished watching it. It's a great video, some things I knew and some things I didn't. I love how straight to the point he is and explains things in a way the average Joe understands. I've gotten less from 2 hour lectures where most of it sounds like rocket science.

What surprised me is that the sugars are second to the grains, I always thought it was the opposite. I also love the part about fruits because a lot of people seem to believe 5 fruits a day is a very healthy thing.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Thanks, again for posting this Key Tones! What a great video. It was really touching to see how repentant he was for his past thoughts and behaviors. Really humbling.

I am reading a book called naked calories, their theory seems to be obesity might be related to nutrient deficiencies. They make a pretty good case for it. Just another piece of the puzzle.

Geri, one of the theories I've read about why the Asians can eat rice is because of the amount of fermented foods in their diets. It helps their intestines stay healthy.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Ok watched the exercise one.

He pretty much explained why my 2 hours 3 times a week added very little muscle mass the year I did that. More intense for shorter time sounds more appealing so great if this is the key. I'm starting the gym again this week (first time in 2 years) and I have a feeling this mindset will help me get better results.

Btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Geri, one of the theories I've read about why the Asians can eat rice is because of the amount of fermented foods in their diets. It helps their intestines stay healthy.
Thanx for that. I guess it's a combination rather than one thing.

One I think of is that a large part of the population is poor so they are stuck in a low-calorie lifestyle which keeps them lean but is a more difficult path to stick to in richer countries where we have more access to food and have the option to binge when our blood sugar crashes.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
Thanx for sharing. Watched the first minutes...

Am I over-reading into it or did he kinda explain why Asians can eat a lot of rice and not get overweight? The insulin sensitivity thing. It has so often happened to me that people point out that most Asians are thin despite eating a lot of them... as a point that carbs aren't the enemy.
Yes, I noticed this. I think what he meant was that a lot of Asian populations that are still eating their traditional diets are generally insulin sensitive. Chris Kresser also points out the Tukisenta of the New Guinnea highlands eat 95% sweet potatoes and are healthy.

I believe what happens is the combination of wheat flour, sugar/high fructose corn syrup, and industrial oils/transfats breaks the metabolism of 2/3 of the population. The standard american diet. There are so many mentions of how people on a traditional diet known to be healthy to that population start eating a Western diet and become obese. I don't think it just carbs in general. I think it is wheat + sugar + transfats.

I think people in general trying to live on wheat flour + sugar/high fructose corn syrup + industrial oil/transfats are going to end up in trouble. It is the trifecta of disease. There is something about all three that is truly menacing.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

One thing I was wondering about. Isn't fructose low-GI unlike glucose?

I would have thought glucose would matter more from this aspect.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #55
Chatty Cathy

K.T., your last statement is likely the most accurate thing I have read lately!

Geiri, I think it is true that fructose does not raise insulin where as glucose does. But fructose is dealt with in the liver and I believe it creates havoc in that essential organ. There are theories that fructose is the root of fatty liver disease and that that same condition is rampant but goes mostly undiagnosed because it requires an ultrasound and that doesn't happen because it is symptomless until it has progressed to a fatal situation most often.

If you read about 'skinny fat' - it is a predominant feature.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 02-11-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Here the main focus is insulin so I felt it was a little odd that he put focus on fructose... but yes I know it's bad for you.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Indeed - fructose is thought to wreck havoc in the liver and induces insulin resistance, impaired glucose intolerance, and hypertension...metabolic syndrome. If you already have insulin resistance, fructose is not a good idea.

I read Loren Cordain used to think fruit was OK for everyone but now says if you have insulin resistance or are very overweight to avoid high-sugar fruit.

Fruit rampage! LOL....

If you look at Dr. Naiman's book (it is linked to the right of the videos), he does say berries are OK in limited quantities.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-11-2014 at 11:32 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A personal friend and former co-worker of mine went to see my doctor. She has lost 13 pounds in the past few weeks! She loves him!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: WintersTale
Stats: 148.9/143.8/132 5'6"
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2010
Wow! thanks for sharing this!! I am amazed - I don't think I realized until now that I could actually OVERDO protein!!
WintersTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

I wonder at what point this effect takes place. Is it safe to have 100 grams of protein a day?