Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Costco - what to buy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/821465-costco-what-buy.html)

kauaimom 01-23-2014 08:01 AM

Costco - what to buy

Hi!

I am going to Costco today or tomorrow and I was just wondering what kinds of LC things people buy there. I currently buy the shredded bacon, Romaine lettuce, organic eggs, Fage yogurt, organic hamburger, Rotisserie chicken, Mrs. Dash. That is all I can think of at the moment.

Instead of going up and down the aisles looking for LC things to buy, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MargD 01-23-2014 08:27 AM

Flax seed
Chia
Kerrygold butter

shelby'snana 01-23-2014 09:43 AM

coconut oil
chicken breasts
cheese

Mistizoom 01-23-2014 10:07 AM

Hormel pre-cooked bacon
Kerrygold butter
coconut oil
pecans
macadamia nuts
Wild Planet tuna
frozen wild Alaskan salmon
pre-cooked frozen hamburger patties
blueberries or other berries, on occasion
veggies
organic ground beef
olive oil
Weber Chicago Steak seasoning

limetwist 01-23-2014 10:49 AM

Costco has a great pre-made pesto in a jar that I use quite often. I sometimes find it on an endcap in the cheese/pre-cooked sausage/chilled meat area, or with the dips/sauces near the produce. No icky oils, with basil imported from Italy!

Echoing others' recommendations of Kerrygold butter (NOT found with the rest of the butter, but with the Kerrygold cheeses—at least in my Costco)

Peanut butter can be had in mass quantities, both organic and non-, and the ingredients are just peanuts and salt.

Don't forget your basic staples: KOSHER SALT. I exclusively buy Kosher salt from Costco. It's dirt cheap and amazing! Same for the peppercorns.

Heavy cream is cheaper at Costco than anywhere I have ever seen. Same for the big tubs of sour cream, and the 5lb cream cheese logs…but I don't like cream cheese enough to ever buy that much. :laugh: BLEH!

ella5 01-23-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limetwist (Post 16770033)
Costco...Echoing others' recommendations of Kerrygold butter (NOT found with the rest of the butter, but with the Kerrygold cheeses—at least in my Costco)

Thanks so much for that! :) I looked at the Kerrygold store locator several weeks ago, and read that Costco US didn't carry Kerrygold butter. After reading your post a minute ago, I called, and they don't carry KERRYGOLD. I remembered my Fry's store has it under IRISH butter, so I asked Costco if they had that, and they do, in the deli section. So I can buy Kerrygold (AKA IRISH BUTTER) after all, at Costco. :jumpjoy:
Ella5 in Arizona USA

moonmirror 01-23-2014 12:34 PM

You guys!!! Are you kidding me, they still have kerrygold? I have looked all over the store for that butter for the last month, I thought they suddenly stopped carrying it.

I buy:

Lean ham (very few additives in it in the Costco brand)
laughing cow
cream
organic beef (the best tasting ground beef in town imho)
shredded cheese
cauliflower
chia (bought it for the first time this week!)
sweet peppers
chicken tenders
tequila lime/salsa picante chicken wings (not gluten free but LC)
almond milk (the six pack!)
three pack of iceberg lettuce
broccoli
frozen berries
coffee
raw almonds

and more...

leeloo 01-23-2014 12:49 PM

I recently got back on the wagon, and at Costco I bought:

pork chops
tri-tip steaks
frozen burgers
frozen cod
frozen cornish game hens
eggs
heavy cream
fancy cheeses

My Costco only has non-fat greek yogurt, which I don't like :(

I do like their produce and other fresh stuff, but in a 1-person household I can't eat it fast enough before it spoils.

clackley 01-23-2014 01:05 PM

I was just there today. I bought

organic eggs
organic coffee beans
avocado oil
heavy whipping cream
ground pork (for my doggie)
frozen scallops and shrimp

watcher513 01-23-2014 04:21 PM

cauliflower???? I don't think I've Ever see cauliflower at our warehouse.

watcher513 01-23-2014 05:10 PM

Evidently they are carrying Honeyville Blanched Almond flour now.

cfine 01-23-2014 05:22 PM

I was there today. I bought:
Macadamia nuts
Mixed nuts
Hot dogs
Turkey bacon

I also usually buy:
Chicken
Steaks
Roasts
Stew meat
Ground beef
Rotisserie chicken
All kinds of cheeses

kauaimom 01-23-2014 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I went today and got three of four new things!

BumbleStang 03-12-2014 12:24 AM

I just discovered their broccoli & cheese soup... 3 net carbs per cup. I slow-cooked some chicken breasts, shredded up a bowlful and topped it with about a half-cup of this soup. Oh. My. Gosh!!! So good.

watcher513 03-12-2014 12:43 AM

Our Costco carries 3 lb. blocks of cream cheese, not 5 lb.

Himalayan Pink Salt (Kirkland).

SugarFreeSheila 03-12-2014 05:57 AM

Seasonings, they've got awesome low-carb dips like Artichoke & Jalapeño and Spinach & Parmesan, eggs, flax seed meal, hulled hemp seed, chia seeds, salsa, cheeses, their heavy cream is fantastic and very rich(!), and they also have an excellent fish and steak selection. I even love their Kirkland brand sulfate-free shampoo.

Can you tell I love Costco?

Sleepy 03-12-2014 07:33 AM

was just there and bought
cauliflower
broccoli
baby cucumbers
onions
they have lots of different lettuces
lemons
chicken
butter
pre cooked bacon
dubliner cheese slices

ladyinlove56 03-12-2014 07:00 PM

I buy those lg..cartons of cooked shredded beef and chicken...great for any meal...
Tequila Chicken in the frozen section...
Lg..pkg..bacon bits...
Beef Jerky

cfine 03-12-2014 08:00 PM

Our Costco just started carrying Kerrygold butter recently. I bought $60 worth.

Cryssi 03-15-2014 11:43 AM

Ribeyes (their steaks are AMAZING)
Cheese
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Asparagus
Avocados
Grape Tomatoes
Brussels Sprouts

They have lots of great stuff!

sweetpoison 03-15-2014 12:08 PM

Just to mention.... I was at my Costco today..... Avon Lake, Ohio and it had KERRYGOLD BUTTER. This is the first time I have seen it and maybe it was just for the St. Pattys day or something... but it was right next to the Irish Cheese.

leeloo 03-15-2014 07:40 PM

Today I bought:

Extra-virgin olive oil
Coffee
Romaine Hearts
Cauliflower florets
A pack of Tri-tip steaks
A pack of fresh, bone-in chicken thighs
A bag of frozen wild-caught cod
A bag of frozen wild-caught shrimp
A bag of frozen sirloin burgers
Eggs

penguinpower 03-16-2014 05:49 PM

Quick trip today-
Organic peanut butter
Organic coconut oil
Organic spring salad mix
(They were out of organic fresh spinach, rats)
Pecan halves
Kerrygold butter
Boneless Leg of Lamb (less than half the price of local grocery stores!)
Diet Snapple
Green tea bags

I buy lots of other stuff at Costco, but this was all I needed today.

I also scoped out a Dyson vacuum cleaner -we need a new sweeper, and these are on sale. Debating.

Cryssi 03-16-2014 07:09 PM

We just got:

Dry roasted almonds
big bag of broccoli
big bag of cauli
big bag of brussels sprouts
18 count eggs
2 gorgeous racks of lamb (I am going to attempt to make lamb for the first time ever)

leeloo 03-16-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryssi (Post 16839344)
We just got:

2 gorgeous racks of lamb (I am going to attempt to make lamb for the first time ever)

Yum! I love lamb. If it wasn't so pricy (even at Costco), I'd eat lamb at least weekly. :yummy:

Cryssi 03-16-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeloo (Post 16839380)
Yum! I love lamb. If it wasn't so pricy (even at Costco), I'd eat lamb at least weekly. :yummy:

It wasn't that bad, really. Each rack was ~$10 and the two will feed the 4 of us well.

Not something I would do weekly, but if we like it, I can see it every few months.

penguinpower 03-17-2014 03:21 PM

leelo - the boneless lamb is only $4.99/# right now! And they had chops for $6.99/#. Lamb lovers heaven.

teridanny 03-18-2014 08:57 AM

KALE SALAD!!!:heart:! YUMMMMMM It has a poppy seed dressing included w/ sugar in it, but I searched LCF recipies and found one made w/ splenda! - YUM can't tell the difference.

leeloo 03-18-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinpower (Post 16840309)
leelo - the boneless lamb is only $4.99/# right now! And they had chops for $6.99/#. Lamb lovers heaven.

Really?! You'd think I would've spotted that! Oh well, I'll check the next time I'm there.

Also, one UPDATE: The bag of cauliflower florets wasn't a great purchase. All the florets were/are browning and so each one has to be trimmed, which is a pain. And it's a sign that the cauli isn't very fresh. :annoyed:.

I'll stick to buying whole cauliflowers at the regular grocery.

e&m'smom 03-18-2014 09:39 AM

I don't know if any of you have been to the Spaghetti Factory (I know, not really a place for a LC'er :)), but they have the most amazing appetizer/side dish called broccoli with Mizithra and browned butter. Well, it's my favorite thing to eat at the restaurant and I was so happy and surprised that Costco sold the Spaghetti Factory's brand Mizrithra/Romano cheese blend. The recipe for the broccoli is so simple - steam some broccoli, brown some butter - combine and generously sprinkle with the cheese mixture. YUM!! I was even able to get a bag of Broccoli pieces at Costco. I was in heaven for lunch AND dinner yesterday.