Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lusitano
My story

My story... well, maybe it is kind of different from everyone else in here. I don't have any particular disease, I'm not overweight and I'm not trying to get slimmer or stronger.

I have 35 years old, and for the past two decades I've been changing my diet. Never ate butter in the past, because I did not like it. My folks and a terrible habit of leaving butter in open air, it started to get rancid and melting during the summer. I took the decision of eating only vegetable spreading. At first, maybe during the 90's, I believe the oils were hydrogenated, I'm not sure.
In the last decade I was consuming interestified vegetable shortening, which I believed it was good and safe.

Then more recently I decided that I would start a low fat diet, eating low fat chesse, low fat milk, less dairy.

And suddenly, last year I was shocked to find out that saturated fat is good, creates no hearth problems, and that the bad guy are carbs.

I always thought that sugar is the real enemy, and I have some diabetes cases in the family, so I have to be careful about that.

But sugar is really carbs, and even the cream crackers cookies I ate regularly are worst than chocolate chip cookes, in terms of carbs.

I did some changes for my diet:

- Started using lard to cook. Sometimes I use extra virgin organic coconut oil, but I'm the only one here at the house enjoying the coconut flavor.

- Ditched the vegetable shortening for good. Started used salted butter. Unfortunately I can not get organic or even butter from grass fed cows. The butter I get is pale in color, which means the cows were given cereals.
At least I'm free of the bovine hormones (which are forbidden here in Europe) and most likely GMOs.

- Not using extra virgin olive oil to cook, as it can oxidize. I previously used it alot to cook.

- Ditched the natural fruit juices, because they are loaded with fructose, causing glycemic spikes.

- Trying to get cookies with less carbs, usually more fat means less carbs.

But I really don't want to eat and not enjoying what I'm eating. I don't eat alot of bread, but I like a bowl of cereals with milk occasionally.
I've been trying to find cold cereal with less carbs. Even muesli and granola have lots of carbs, because of the raisins and other dry fruits.
The best one I found so far, it is a muesli mix with about 55grams of carbs per 100gr.

Any advices?
Lusitano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano View Post
My story... well, maybe it is kind of different from everyone else in here. I don't have any particular disease, I'm not overweight and I'm not trying to get slimmer or stronger.

Any advices?
No advice but I actually do think yours is a different story. Most people come to ditch low fat strictly because of weight loss. And a lot of the things I've come to discover were as an offshoot of that (like how margarine is one molecule away from plastic), not just a wish to change my diet for any other reason.

I do think people accept that sugar is evil but not so easily accept that "sugar" includes natural sugar and not just white refined table sugar. I always held the belief that turbinado sugar was healthier because someone who ran a "health food restaurant" told me so. Ha, come to find years later they weren't any smarter than I was.

So, yeah, it's not ALL fats are evil but trans fats are. The body does NEED fat, does not need sugar no matter what form it comes in. Fructose is fructose and foods that cause glycemic spikes are not good even if they are not "empty" calorie foods.

I am not eating grains not just because of carbs per se but for other reasons that wheat plays havoc causing inflammation in the body as does the sugar.

One day, I hope to be here not as a result of being overweight also.
LDL: 191
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I started the low-fat approach because I wanted to reduce the risk of coronary disease, because I was under the hype that the fat you eat goes to your veins.
I know that trans fats are bad, and I try to avoid them as much as possible. And I do love puffy pastry, which unfortunately is full of trans fat (usually).

As cereal, I usually eat a bowl of corn flakes (non-GMO) with milk or Nestlé's Nestum (honey and wheat). Yeah, I know... lots of carbs.

But I want to change that, but I don't want to eat something like hay to replace those cereals.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano View Post
As cereal, I usually eat a bowl of corn flakes (non-GMO) with milk or Nestlé's Nestum (honey and wheat). Yeah, I know... lots of carbs
Yeah, it all sounds good for you. I love that slowly but surely people can see that low fat is NOT the heart healthy lifesaver it's made out to be.

You obviously already know the carbs you're still eating. I couldn't possibly eat cereal at all. Never actually ate it that much before because it only left me hungry. I am only too happy to give that up. But have you tried almond milk rather than dairy milk? Much lower in carbs and I like it just as much as regular milk.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Google lowcarboneday and look for her low carb cinnamon "oatmeal" recipe. It's made from chia seeds, flax meal, unsweetened coconut. It's really good and easy to make.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
But have you tried almond milk rather than dairy milk? Much lower in carbs and I like it just as much as regular milk.
Why almond milk? Dairy milk only contains less than 5gr of carbs per 100ml of milk, there are worst things.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
what are you striving for in net carbs per day?

you can easily eat a moderate carb diet of, say, 40-50 net carbs. that is moderate.
it would include some of your foods you want to eat.

anything under 100 net carbs is considered a lower carb diet. you do not have to go into the 20-30 net range to be 'low carb'.

just wondering where you want to settle on carb count for the day?

grains are carby and that fact isn't going to change. so maybe reduce your portion size? enjoy what you like but cut back on the 'heavy hitter' carbs.

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-20-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I believe dairy milk is something like 11 g carbs per 8 ounces. Almond milk is 2-3 g carbs per 8 ounces. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Another reason for some people is the lactose.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
what are you striving for in net carbs per day?

you can easily eat a moderate carb diet of, say, 40-50 net carbs. that is moderate.
it would include some of your foods you want to eat.

anything under 100 net carbs is considered a lower carb diet. you do not have to go into the 20-30 net range to be 'low carb'.

just wondering where you want to settle on carb count for the day?

grains are carby and that fact isn't going to change. so maybe reduce your portion size? enjoy what you like but cut back on the 'heavy hitter' carbs.
I agree with Trigger, a more moderate carb approach may be ideal for you. A moderate carb primal WOE (such as touted by Mark's Daily Apple) sounds like it would meet your criteria, though paleo and primal do ditch all grains. There are definitely grain-free subs for cold cereal though.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
I believe dairy milk is something like 11 g carbs per 8 ounces. Almond milk is 2-3 g carbs per 8 ounces. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Another reason for some people is the lactose.
I stopped drinking regular milk and started to drink low fat milk, just because I found that if I drank regular milk before going to bed, I would have a terrible time during the night, my belly would swallow like a frog. But I can drink regular milk during the day, and have no issues, only happens during the night.
So I ditched the regular milk, and drink only low fat milk.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Lusitano! You are on a path to maintain your health and that is wonderful. I wonder if you have read any low carb books? There are quite a selection out there and my #1 pick is Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. I would say it could be more aptly named, why we get sick because it is not just about getting fat.

Last edited by clackley; 01-21-2014 at 06:23 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Hi Lo cereal from netrition is the lowest carb cereal I have found that tastes like commercial cereal. I don't eat it by the bowl but will occasionally mix a little with yogurt for crunch. Good luck...I know some find steel ground oats a better alternative to some grains...maybe a home made granola made with those could work...good luck and remeber it is probably best to keep cabs below 150 if eating with high fat for the day...but cutting carbs in any way will benefit you.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Hi Lo cereal from netrition is the lowest carb cereal I have found that tastes like commercial cereal. I don't eat it by the bowl but will occasionally mix a little with yogurt for crunch. Good luck...I know some find steel ground oats a better alternative to some grains...maybe a home made granola made with those could work...good luck and remeber it is probably best to keep cabs below 150 if eating with high fat for the day...but cutting carbs in any way will benefit you.
Unfortunately I can not get that Hi Lo over here.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
And good job, to figure out we've all been lied too! That's a huge step. If you are willing to cook, Maria Emmerich has some cereal recipes. Netrition did carry some that were really good too. If you google wheat free market you'll find some that is more like muesli.

If you're ready to increase that knowledge, Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis is a good read as is Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote