Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charitysmom1029
Stats: 40 yrs. old-166/154/110-5'2"-HIGHEST WEIGHT 226
WOE: calorie restricted ketogenic -0 carbs
Start Date: 1/8/2014
Excess Skin? A remedy without surgery....

Hello All,

I have a question about excess skin after ur weight losses. I know that when I was younger my skin was a lot more resilient to gain and loss but now at 40 it's not as resilient. I was wondering what others have done to help remedy this problem (without surgery)

Have a safe and happy day

Robin
charitysmom1029 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Subbing...I have a feeling I'll have a lot of excess skin to deal with. My arms and thighs are already really bad.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Dry brushing and good moisturizers.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
No idea if it works but I'm doing the dry brushing also. I am also really hoping that the water and the fat that we are eating on low carb will eventually help after time. I really believe that on low fat, it's worse. I can handle my legs and my arms, but I am so worried about my stomach.

And if you were going to have surgery, don't they say that you should wait about a year anyway to see how much your skin is going to bounce back?
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catnapper
I wondered about the skin too. At my age, 72, there seems little hope for the skin to snap back. What is dry brushing?

My belly skin could hang around my knees, I'm afraid! Like an apron!
Catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
There are things one can do that may or may not help, like dry brushing. Nothing works for everyone; there are way too many variables involved.

Do what you can to reduce your chances of having excess loose skin but don't fear it. Loose skin is way better that that same skin filled with fat. No contest.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnapper View Post
What is dry brushing?
Using either a loofah or a stiff natural bristle shower brush, generally speaking you rub lightly in long sweeps up from your feet up your legs up your arms toward your chest always moving towards the heart and then counterclockwise on your stomach.

Helps with cellulite, stretch marks, opening your pores, exfoliation, etc. by aiding the lymphatic system in ridding toxins, cell renewal, blood flow, circulation. Just all kinds of good stuff. It doesn't take long and you don't want to rub so hard till your skin is irritated or red.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Using either a loofah or a stiff natural bristle shower brush, generally speaking you rub lightly in long sweeps up from your feet up your legs up your arms toward your chest always moving towards the heart and then counterclockwise on your stomach.

Helps with cellulite, stretch marks, opening your pores, exfoliation, etc. by aiding the lymphatic system in ridding toxins, cell renewal, blood flow, circulation. Just all kinds of good stuff. It doesn't take long and you don't want to rub so hard till your skin is irritated or red.
Thanks Madmarsha. Lord, the things I learn here!!!! It never stops. This sounds invigorating and interesting. Do you do this "dry" as the name suggests, rather than in the shower?
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Googled it and answered my own question. Have read several interesting articles on this now, but would never have known about it if it weren't for this site. This place rocks!
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

It sounds kinda weird but it does make sense once you think about it. And it does feel good.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Lifting heavy weights and building muscle mass will make the skin "hang" better on your frame.

Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
I've lost virtually half my starting weight and yes!!, I do have some loose skin. My arms are the worst in my opinion..

What do I do about it?.....I don't go sleeveless that's for sure!!

Seriously though, I've exercised from day one and as a result, i have great muscle tone. I've done the dry brushing thing in the past and it kinda, sorta helped ..I do look great in clothes though..

I'll happily take my loose skin ANY day over what I used to be like and truth be told, in the whole scheme of things, a little loose skin is nothing comparatively..

ps: I second the use of a GOOD moisturizer!!!

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Yep. I never ever ever go sleeveless. I own a ton of shrugs. I have bingo arms yes I work out. Lifting weights is what I do. I look good in clothes but even scare myself naked.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
A lot of the 'cures' for excess skin are nothing more than wishful thinking. How much you end up with depends mainly on genetics (skin elasticity), age, how overweight you were, how fast you lost, etc. Dry brushing, etc. may help with increasing your circulating, exfoliation, and other things that improve the 'look' of your skin, but it is not going to 'shrink' your skin.

Work on toning the muscles underneath and that will help more than anything to help 'fill out' some of the sagging skin, but ultimately 'it is what it is'.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charitysmom1029
Stats: 40 yrs. old-166/154/110-5'2"-HIGHEST WEIGHT 226
WOE: calorie restricted ketogenic -0 carbs
Start Date: 1/8/2014
Thanks so much everyone I truly appreciate all the feedback! I never go sleeveless at all. Unfortunately for me, when I hit puberty I started to get stretch marks on my upper arms that always embarrassed me. I had my first daughter when I just turned 15 and 2 other daughters within 3 years following her, so 3 daughters by 19. My stomach took a good hit but because I was young I did bounce back amazingly (in a size 5 within 2 months)pretty good. It's when I had my son at 26 and gained 90 pounds that I kept it on for awhile, that destroyed not only my belly but the skin on my arms and legs. I remember when my first granddaughter was laying on me watching tv one day she pressed on my belly and said "nana ur belly is squishy". I was only 35 and I was devastated! Out of the mouths of babes huh?
Well I guess I'm gonna have to just deal with the majority of it. I am gonna try to start toning and hope for the best though. Luckily my husband doesn't seem to mind (he better not lol we have been married for 24 years!) Thanks for listening to my rant here. I feel comfortable talking to all of u.
A couple of u mentioned a good moisturizer. I have been looking for a good one. What do you use?

I wish peace and joy to all
charitysmom1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heatherdr
Stats: 208/196.2/125
WOE: HCG/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
You could try MSM, either as a supplement or as a lotion/soap on your skin.
heatherdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvetj79
Stats: 168.5/159.5/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by charitysmom1029 View Post
Thanks so much everyone I truly appreciate all the feedback! I never go sleeveless at all. Unfortunately for me, when I hit puberty I started to get stretch marks on my upper arms that always embarrassed me. I had my first daughter when I just turned 15 and 2 other daughters within 3 years following her, so 3 daughters by 19. My stomach took a good hit but because I was young I did bounce back amazingly (in a size 5 within 2 months)pretty good. It's when I had my son at 26 and gained 90 pounds that I kept it on for awhile, that destroyed not only my belly but the skin on my arms and legs. I remember when my first granddaughter was laying on me watching tv one day she pressed on my belly and said "nana ur belly is squishy". I was only 35 and I was devastated! Out of the mouths of babes huh?
Well I guess I'm gonna have to just deal with the majority of it. I am gonna try to start toning and hope for the best though. Luckily my husband doesn't seem to mind (he better not lol we have been married for 24 years!) Thanks for listening to my rant here. I feel comfortable talking to all of u.
A couple of u mentioned a good moisturizer. I have been looking for a good one. What do you use?

I wish peace and joy to all
I hear ya. Even when I went from 170 to 110lbs I had excess skin. I think applying good moisturizer and toning is all you can do. Without surgery.
yvetj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
A lot of the 'cures' for excess skin are nothing more than wishful thinking. How much you end up with depends mainly on genetics (skin elasticity), age, how overweight you were, how fast you lost, etc. Dry brushing, etc. may help with increasing your circulating, exfoliation, and other things that improve the 'look' of your skin, but it is not going to 'shrink' your skin.

Work on toning the muscles underneath and that will help more than anything to help 'fill out' some of the sagging skin, but ultimately 'it is what it is'.
I agree. However, nothing wrong with improving "the look" of your skin. Did a face mask today, haven't done one in months---not a big beauty products gal, in time or money, buy everything at Walgreens, including this mask.

But I was amazed at how much fresher and more glowing my skin looked. Exfoliation isn't going to shrink your skin, but it is does make it look fresher and better. Layers of dry dead skin don't do us any favors.

Going to dry the dry brush thing on my body, as northern winters are tough on skin. Mine isn't so much saggy as it is dry due to weather, and just a bit crepey due to age. I think a good, cheap round of exfoliation is something we can all afford and a little glow goes a long ways. Plus, better circulation is always good for the skin. We do what we can do.

The most important thing is our health, that's for sure. Nothing "better looking" than a vibrant healthy person.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Going to dry the dry brush thing on my body, as northern winters are tough on skin. Mine isn't so much saggy as it is dry due to weather, and just a bit crepey due to age. I think a good, cheap round of exfoliation is something we can all afford and a little glow goes a long ways. Plus, better circulation is always good for the skin.
I just like how my exfoliated and moisturized skin feels after the dry brushing and also using the handmade body scrub I make. So easy. I make my own masks or scrubs for my face, too.

The one "product" that I do use I am not positive is doing anything, but I'm trying to give it a real try. Largely, you have the skin you have and that's it. And I also try to practice lymphatic drainage massage on my face, neck, and chest.

Not really germane to the topic BUT I have also not shampooed my hair for 4 years. I use castille soap or conditioner (which has a cleansing property in it, just not as much as shampoo) because of the sulfates in shampoo. I got over not having all that lather action.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I agree. However, nothing wrong with improving "the look" of your skin.

Going to dry the dry brush thing on my body, as northern winters are tough on skin.
I do dry brushing to help with circulation (that whole glowing skin) and I also do salt scrubs once a week to exfoliate (not on my face). I make my own by mixing table salt with just enough fractionated coconut oil (mct) to get it wet as well as a couple drops of essential oil.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
hi all- i'm a medical reporter and go to a lot of conferences- including plastic surgery and dermatology conferences. If you are relatively young, your skin may be resilient and won't sag. However, if you are older, your skin becomes less resilient and there's nothing you can do about it except surgery. Brushing does not work. As for lasers for skin tightening- there is some evidence that heat may help tighten the skin, but not for loose folds. From everything I've seen, the lasers may tighten skin about 1/4" - possibly more.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote