Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
CNN article on weight loss through calorie counting

The most interesting part of the article for me was this,
"So she cut her food intake by 500 calories a day, eating only 1,200 calories and religiously documented everything she put in her mouth."

So, they're saying she was eating only 1700 calories a day to begin with, yet the tone of the article is that overeating had contributed to her weight gain. 1700 calories doesn't seem like much for a 5'8" young woman. The author fully buys into the gluttony & sloth hypothesis (also known as calories in, calories out), but does acknowledge that her heart medication may have played a role. " Food, inactivity and even her heart medicine caused her to put on weight. "

Heart disease didn't stop her from losing 125 pounds - CNN.com

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
The most interesting part of the article for me was this,
"So she cut her food intake by 500 calories a day, eating only 1,200 calories and religiously documented everything she put in her mouth."

So, they're saying she was eating only 1700 calories a day to begin with...
Even accepting the premises that underpin that piece (and I don't), of the 20lb loss in 6 weeks, overlooking the fluid, that's 3.3lbs a week. The straightforward arithmetic on that would say that she was eating at a deficit of 11,000-12,250kcals a week or 1500-1750kcals per day. (No, it's not that simple but if they're arguing it is, then they should produce figures that make some sort of sense and I did round that up to 3.5lbs a week to make it easier to handle the figures but it doesn't make a big difference.)

I think it's admirable that the young woman coped with the emotional impact of the diagnosis as well as she did and went on to turn her size and health around in such a helpful way.

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-20-2014 at 06:45 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
This is a perfect example of why calorie counting is so one dimensional. They talk about the calories as if they are the one and only driving force and completely ignore the things they even use as an example, that she cut out like the french fries and the candy. These are obviously carbohydrates - some of the worst. Even cutting the crappy oils in the french fries. But to the author and many others, it is all about the calories! Likely if she paid attention to the carbohydrates rather than calories and ate to satisfaction, the calories could be higher and it would be a nice way to life. Could potentially even improve some of her heart problems. Calorie counting as the only significant factor in the plan is just so limited given all the information we have available to us.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 01-20-2014 at 07:20 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I agree, calorie counting is not they way achieve weight loss (unless we are talking about starvation levels). What food groups are the calories coming from? If they are fat and you continue to eat carbs yes you will gain. If they are simply carbs and the calories are excessive, you will gain. As Dr. Bernstein writes in The Diabetes Solution, he had several patients who needed to gain weight so he had them add to their daily diet 900 calories of fat, in the form of olive oil. They did not gain an ounce even with the extra fat calories added to their daily diet.

I have been eating low carb for three years and every morning for breakfast I have two eggs, three pieces of bacon, two ounces of ham and one ounce of cheese. Yes, I do eat the exact same thing every morning. A couple of months ago I ran out of cheese and instead of getting more I cut the one ounce of cheese out of my breakfast. The effect is, in the last two months I have not eaten approximately 4 pounds of cheese and I didn’t lose any extra weight.

So for me, calories matter only when I take into consideration where they come from and in what amounts.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think I was just reading in Why We Get Fat that people on calorie counting diets tend to restrict carbs more than they had prior to the diet, so they unwittingly cut carbs even if they don't realize it. Wonder if that happened here.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think I was just reading in Why We Get Fat that people on calorie counting diets tend to restrict carbs more than they had prior to the diet, so they unwittingly cut carbs even if they don't realize it. Wonder if that happened here.
Misti,
I'm sure it did, especially since the article mentioned that she got rid of candy and stopped eating her daughter's French Fries. Yet they attribute all her success to reducing calories.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Thanks for posting the link. I spent quite some time reading all those success stories. Good for them, I say! I expect the articles to be slanted, but whatever. If restricting calories is what they want to call it.

Did you also notice how much time most of these people spend at the gym now?! Wow. Hopefully they'll continue to educate themselves. Hopefully.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote