Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meatncheese
maintaining weight after exiting ketosis

New to this whole zero carb thing. I havent chose a specific diet. Just wanted to lose some extra pounds. Im 5' 10'' usually go about 195lbs. Started the zero carb 2 weeks ago. I eat nothing but meat cheese and veggies. Its been rough but I have stayed disciplined. I just took my first cheat day this saturday and pretty much had what ever I wanted. My concern is over the 2 weeks I lost 11 lbs which felt pretty good. Cheat day put me back up 5lbs. Which sucks but not a huge problem. Im not that out of shape just want to be able to maintain. Obviously I cant eat whatever I want but would like to hear some ideads as to maintain weight after all the hard work put in. I dont plan to.stay zero carb forever just till I reach my goal of 165lbs. Any help would be appreciated. Is my zero carb plan too strict as it is. I did stay in ketosis for almost 2 weeks straight without fail according to test strips.?
meatncheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
First of all, you're not eating zero carb. Cheese has a small amount of carbs, and veggies all have carbs. Period.

I hope you decide to read at least one book, so you can understand why eating low carb (which is what you're eating) works. Reading a book will also help you formulate a plan for maintenance. This is not something that you should be winging. That's why so many people complain that "people just gain the weight back!" Yes, that's true, if they don't have a plan for maintenance.

Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Hi meatncheese and welcome! If you're eating veggies, then you aren't zero carb, but low carb. Veggies do have carbs. Even cheese has 1 carb per ounce. It sounds like you're doing great with low carb, and it's working well for you!

Low carb is like any other way of eating, once you go back to your old ways, you get your old results, meaning that the weight comes back on, so that's why it's important to pick a plan that you can live with for life.

In his book Dr. Atkins laid out a very clearly plan for Ongoing Weight Loss, and maintenance. Basically, you add back in carbs (in the form of veggies, some fruits, etc), very slowly until you get to the point where you aren't losing any more. That will be your maintenance level of carbs. And, of course, different carbs will have a different effect on your body. It's all trial and error.

But you want to be sure that this is the way to want to eat for life. Otherwise it's just another diet that you lose weight on, go back to your old ways, and gain the weight back. We've all been there, and it pretty much sucks. LOL. So choose a plan that works for you long term.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
LOL Ntombi, I think we were posting at the same time and said basically the same thing!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Not being defensive I have read a lot about what im doing and can honestly say I dont totally understand the whole chemical process but do understand the principal. Ill try to be more specific with my word choices low carb, zero carb. To re define my question which was I have no problem with eating healthy and look forward to it. At the same time I do enjoy a variety of foods as most. Im pretty active as a carpenter so I dont usually gain a whole lot of weight. Just looking for ideas or plans that I can.look into to maintain with more freedoms. And I will definetely take the advice of looking into the atkins maintenance plans.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Look through the plans here and elsewhere. They all have a maintenance component. It may be as simple as being "carb conscious" for you to maintain well, but you may need something a bit more structured.

And we're being sticklers for the terms, because there are people who eat zero carb, meaning they eat meat only, and then there are people who think they're eating zero carbs, but don't really understand that all veggies and dairy have carbs, so we try to make sure to be clear when helping people.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

No problem I appreciate the help.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Check out the JUDDD section of this board. Alternate day dieting is great for some people. My DH and I have been maintaining a large weight loss for two years eating this way, and it's extremely enjoyable.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatncheese View Post
New to this whole zero carb thing. I havent chose a specific diet. Just wanted to lose some extra pounds. Im 5' 10'' usually go about 195lbs. Started the zero carb 2 weeks ago. I eat nothing but meat cheese and veggies. Its been rough but I have stayed disciplined. I just took my first cheat day this saturday and pretty much had what ever I wanted.
Unless you're counting calories, you're probably eating higher calorie on low carb and losing than you would on a traditional diet. By cheating, you're effectively no longer doing low carb...even with one meal. It does make a difference.

I'm not sure what the 'took my first cheat day' means. If you're planning on regular cheats, my suggestion is to do something other than low carb.

The way you transition off of low carb back to a higher carb WOE, is to count calories. You will not be able to eat as much as you can low carb. You may see an initial weight gain (usually water weight) but it should even out within a week or two.

People who say they gain weight when they go off low carb. Yeah...go off any 'diet' and you'll gain weight.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote