Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Ocean Spray Reduce Sugar Dried Cranberries, Overpriced Hype?

So I spent an extra few dollars to buy a package of Ocean Spray Reduced Sugar Cranberries as an impulse purchase. I had no time to check the package. But then BF brought me a package of regular dried cranberries and I noticed this:

Original Ocean Spray Cranberries
Total Carbs 33g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugars 29g

Reduced Sugar Ocean Spray Cranberries
Total Carbohydrates 31g
Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugars 14g.

Difference
-2g carbs
+7g fiber
-15g sugar

So,… Where do the extra carbs come from then?

If Sugar plus fiber ~ total carbs approx
Original: sugar 29 + Fiber 3 = 32g which is close to total carbs of 33g
Reduced: sugar 14 + fiber 10 = 24g which is NOT close to carbs of 31. Where do the extra 7 carbs come from in the reduced sugar???

if the reduce sugar has as many carbs as the regular, then what's the point?
I'm in the process of making homemade dried cranberries, and I'm going to measure out stuff to get an approximate carb count.

I know cranberries are naturally high in sugar but I did expect the lower sugar version to be lower in carbs than a measly 2g.

I can't find my home recipe, but I'll post it if it is successful.

What do you think? Is it worth it to buy the Reduce one because the "sugars" are lower even though the carbs are essentially the same? Of save the extra dollar since they are essentially the same?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
What are the ingredients on each?
That probably tells the tale of the difference.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I use a sprinkle of these on a fave salad. I guess it depends on whether you count carbs or net carbs. I count the later, so these have 21 NCs as opposed to 30 NCs. Enough for me to buy them. Hubby dries them himself sometimes, but it's a long process and we don't always have the homemade no sugar added ones on hand.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I know cranberries are naturally high in sugar but I did expect the lower sugar version to be lower in carbs than a measly 2g.
Huh. Guess I learned something today. I always though cranberries were naturally really tart and the sugar was added to them for that reason. Huh.

Anyway, what BlueSkies said. If you count net carbs, that might be worth it. But it would be interesting to see the ingredients.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I think you're right that something's fishy. I can see them not adding as much sugar to the lower sugar cranberries, but I highly doubt they've added FIBER to the lower carb ones.

When i want a bright, tangy thing like that I go for freeze dried raspberries from Trader Joe's. Plus you can easily crumble them into chunks or a powder, so 4 or 5 berries go a long way in brightening the flavor of something without many carbs at all.

But doing your own dried cranberries is a good idea, too. Then you know exactly what's going into it.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Ocean Spray Reduced Sugar Craisins Dried Cranberries.
Ingredients: cranberries,soluble corn fiber,sugar,glycerin,sucralose

The original just has cranberries and sugar.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
What do you know? They DID add fiber. GMO corn fiber, but it is fiber.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I think you're right that something's fishy. I can see them not adding as much sugar to the lower sugar cranberries, but I highly doubt they've added FIBER to the lower carb ones.
I had a look at the technical specification on OceanSpray's site, in a way, they did add fibre as one of the sweeteners for the low sugar version is polydextrose - a functional fibre.
Quote:
Ocean Spray Cranberries Less Sugar/High Fiber Sweetened Dried Cranberries are produced by infusing sliced superior grade cranberries, prepared from the sound, mature berries of the commonly cultivated cranberry plant (Genus/species-Vaccinium macrocarpon) in a high brix solution until a specific equilibrate Brix is reached. The product is then dried to water activity specification and lightly sprayed with oil. ..
Ingredient Statement: Cranberries, sugar, polydextrose, glycerine, sunflower oil.
ETA: Too busy being curious on OceanSpray's site to post in a timely manner but I see that Dottie and you did.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-19-2014 at 04:23 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I use a sprinkle of these on a fave salad. I guess it depends on whether you count carbs or net carbs. I count the later, so these have 21 NCs as opposed to 30 NCs. Enough for me to buy them. Hubby dries them himself sometimes, but it's a long process and we don't always have the homemade no sugar added ones on hand.
Oh , yeah, that makes sense, subtract the fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Huh. Guess I learned something today. I always though cranberries were naturally really tart and the sugar was added to them for that reason. Huh.

Anyway, what BlueSkies said. If you count net carbs, that might be worth it. But it would be interesting to see the ingredients.
Well, when they are fresh, they are only 7g per 1/4 cup, but once dried, by weight, that increases. I think that's part of it, then the added sugar for sweetness. I guess If i wanted to know for sure, I'd have to take fresh cranberries in multiples of 1/4 cup and then dry them and measure how many dry cranberries it takes to get the same mass as fresh 1/4 cup and multiply it by 7. I*'ll get back to you on that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
When i want a bright, tangy thing like that I go for freeze dried raspberries from Trader Joe's. Plus you can easily crumble them into chunks or a powder, so 4 or 5 berries go a long way in brightening the flavor of something without many carbs at all.

But doing your own dried cranberries is a good idea, too. Then you know exactly what's going into it.
Thanks for that tip! I have a TJ in town! freeze dried sounds wonderful!

Thanks Dottie and Slowsure for adding the ingredients and process, I had to leave and forgot to add it.
So I guess if you subtract the fiber from usable carbs it actually IS a carb savings, and the actual sugar is reduced, so maybe it's not so bad.

I've got cranberries, sucrolose, polydextrose, glycering and cranberry juice 100%, so I wonder what I can do with that. Last time I concentrated the juice, then added sweetener, and a bit of glycerine. They came out kinda chewy. without the glycerine they were crunchy hard bits. I guess it's time to play with my poly and find out.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
There's a recipe in Nourished (cookbook) for SF dried cranberries made with polydextrose. Might try making them tomorrow.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
There's a recipe in Nourished (cookbook) for SF dried cranberries made with polydextrose. Might try making them tomorrow.
If you do, please report back

I've been taking a look at Scott123's suggestions for drying cranberries with PolyD.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote