LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Help! Gaining after quit smoking!

I seriously need some help. I started Chantix Jan 1st and had last cig Jan 4th. The chantix really helped but now i'm Gaining weight! I was stuck for about 2 months at 144-145. I am up to 151 this morning! I have Not cheated at all! Eatting LC and bam i'm still gaining! I did Not work this hard for over a Yr and half to start Gaining! Help Please!!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I Googled Chantix, and one of the sites listed "bloating" as a possible side effect.

Could this weight gain be water retention?

I'd be more worried about the psychological effects that seem to be very common. (A friend of mine had to stop taking it because she began actually having suicidal thoughts!).

Another possibility is that you're eating more without realizing it. That's a common issue when someone is quitting smoking.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: franciejones
Stats: 241/215.6/150 5'5"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12-26-2013 LAST START
I used Chantix...got fat and INSANE. Scariest drug I have ever used. Turned my man loopy as well. Be cautious. Do not worry about a few pds. I am sure it is the drug
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emily1
Stats: 206.8/159.8/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
I know here in Canada Chantix is called "champex" and champex is the same as "wellbutrin" which is an anti-depressant that speeds up the nervous system and can make some people prone to anxiety more anxious (Hence what leo41 was saying about it causing suicidal thoughts /actions) But I'm surprised that it can still make you gain weight. A lot of what I hear about the weight gain about quitting smoking has to do with people having an oral fixation and some people tend to eat more after quitting smoking hence the weight gain. But Leo41 may have a great point. It could be water weight as well. It is strange how our bodies can react to certain things. And remember tobacco is a stimulant that effects our nervous system by speeding things up. Perhaps the absence of a stimulant such as tobacco may cause a bit of a slow down. I suspect that once your body is used to the absence of this stimulant that It may adjust to your new way of life and you will start to lose. I wouldnt worry about the mild weight gain it could be water. But maybe try to keep the fat intake up and the carbs low. Try to re-shock your body into weight loss.
emily1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ya'll! The Only side effect i've had other then the gaining weight was if I didn't eat a good breakfast before I took my pill it made me Loopy and exhausted! I mean like Zero energy. I Had been eatting some sf candies but i've cut down to maybe 2 a day. I never had the bad dreams or depression etc. I'll try to up my fats. And keep on keeping on. But Not taking the chantix anymore!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Shelly, hang in there! It happened to me,too----years ago. The few pounds came right back off, and it is SO worth it!!! It's just your body and metabolism reacting to something different. It's hard at first not to put additional food in your mouth to compensate for no cigs, but it really does get easier!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Snowmop!! Yeah I do find myself wanting to snack and just that hand-Mouth thing. Hate that too!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Avellaneda
Gave up smoking March 2011 after 10 years

I too gained weight at first, but it was just the body adjusting to the absence of stimulant. I subbed out nicotine for packs and packs of sugar- free gum. It killed ketosis breath and at the same time addresses the oral fixation which I did not even realize I had. I didn't use chantix. I used the e-cigarettes and gum. It finally worked, but it took time and patience. I started walking 30 mins a day to try to improve the lung health.

I never counted the gum against my total carb intake like I know some must do. Also, I never gave up the other stimulant -coffee. Didn't want to go completely off the cliff!

Today, I am down 17% of original body weight, can fit into clothes again, and smoke free.

Stay strong! Many of the lessons learned with low carb are just as relevant to quitting smoking.
Avellaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
I quit 5 years ago and gained about 5 pounds total but lost them after a few months. It is sooooo worth it! Even if you gain a few pounds. Quitting smoking was the best thing I ever did- it gets easier every month. 5 years later I don't even ever think about it, in fact the smell of it totally grosses me out. Congrats on your quit, keep going and stay off the scale!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone! Oh the smell of cig smoke already stinks soo bad! I don't want a cig I just want to feel better now and not keep gaining weight!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
Shelly, hang in there! It happened to me,too----years ago. The few pounds came right back off, and it is SO worth it!!! It's just your body and metabolism reacting to something different. It's hard at first not to put additional food in your mouth to compensate for no cigs, but it really does get easier!
Congratulations Shelley! One of the best things i ever did. Just sorry it took me so long. Almost 2 yrs. ago for me. Cold turkey. I did also regain some lost lbs. for a period of about 6 months. It was discouraging but it did come off again.

I remember reading that a couple of actors (years ago) quit smoking and did Atkins in order to avoid the weight gain and of course, it worked. You are doing everything right!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
my neighbor took Chantix and WOW IT DID a number on her. she had to quit taking it fast. she went bonkers. I almost took it but didn't after seeing what it did to her.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yah I was Very nervous about taking it and at first it seemed ok. But the weakness/exhaustion if I didn't eat and the sadnesss now is Not worth it to me. I am up More weight today makes me upset!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

you HAVE totally quit right?

chantix helped you but I would stop that drug NOW.

you are now a non-smoker run with it. you are there!!! I would stop the drug and work on a million other ways now not to pick up a cig.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

You can't just stop the drug. You must stop it slowly.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

oh. then I would do that right now. stop it slowly RIGHT now
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs B
Stats: 174/164/140
WOE: low carb/sugar, high protein
Start Date: december 2013
Congratulations on quitting! I smoked for nearly seven years I finally quit on my own when I picked my daughter up to cuddle and she said I smelled like a fire pit LOL. For a while I found myself wanting to smoke whilst driving, come to find it was just a need to have something in my hand. A quick fix.. a wooden pencil crayon... odd but it did the trick, something in my hand. Every time I wanted to smoke I would drink a glass of water, craving gone. I'm not a fan of taking tablets, I reckon your doctor has chosen best call for you.
mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
Yah I was Very nervous about taking it and at first it seemed ok. But the weakness/exhaustion if I didn't eat and the sadnesss now is Not worth it to me. I am up More weight today makes me upset!
I quit once again over two months ago. I've quit many, many times in my life and have gone years at a time without smoking. I don't know why I've always started up again before but I hope this time it will be forever. So far I haven't gained weight but am bouncing around within the same 2 or 3 lb range. I do worry a lot about gaining but have my fingers crossed. I've used a combo of the patches and gum. The patches seem like the best idea but I can't use them every day since they bother my skin. I use the gum as needed on days when I don't use the patches. Of course, it's been more than 2 months and I'm still not completely weaned from the nicotine so....

Good luck!
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks ya'll! I am Completly off the Chantix. I took last pill thursday. I was in the rotation where you start taking 2 pills a day. 1 in morning and other at night. I was only taking 1 pill since it bothered me. I just couldn't handle the total exhaustion and the depression that was starting. I felt horrible saturday but Thankfully sunday afternoon I felt better
Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
I have just started into year 3 as a non smoker. I quit before for 5 years and then started back (stupid, I know). I tried the chantix both times. I feel like that it really does work, but I was so sick and I was one that had the vivid dreams, so had to stop. In my dreams, I was conversing with beautiful peacocks in my backyard unfortunately, the sickness was something that I would imagine was like morning sickness (lasting all day), never had morning sickness myself. Anyway, you know at this step in the process, it is more behavioral than anything...so do whatever it takes to get through it. I told myself that every time I had the desire, I would get out and walk around the house or building. Now, I just think about relatives and friends struggling to get a breath at the end of their life. I know, kinda morbid, but I'm telling you, there are times that I still want one, so it has to be a strong visual for me to get through. I wish you much success in this journey!!!
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

GLAD you are feeling better!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Good to hear you are feeling better! KUTGW!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I'll bet that now that you're off the Chantix, you start losing again! Stay strong!!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I sure hope so Snowmop! Haven't yet.
rotay I think about 2 people I know that Just found out they are sick from smoking! 1 has lung cancer and the other has severe COPD! Or i'll invision someone with a Hole in their throat! That was always one of my worst fears! I'm Thank God still doing Ok with not smoking! I am Praying that I can/will start losing weight again!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

hard battle many have to face. you handle one problem like weight, then gotta tackle another that is a different health risk.

I say GO GIRL and make the best YOU that you can!!!!!! You are making changes that many can't or won't. SO YOU are way ahead! stay strong and know what you are doing is the right thing!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #26
Chatty Cathy

Shelley, you are already threw the worst of it which is the chemical addiction. Now the battle is the habit part. And I am not really saying that is much easier - it just is a bit easier. Stay away from triggers as much as you can. I had to stop my beloved long talks on the phone because that was such a big trigger. I have to say that for some reason, being low carb made it easier.... maybe because I didn't have the messed up thinking of, I can eat whatever (read carbs) because I am quitting. Instead, it was I am going to continue to eat low carb and I am not hungry so food is not part of it.......

It gets so much easier as time passes. You are doing it!!! KUTGW!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

yup now it is triggers

I had to get OUT OF the house the minute after eating. go in the yard and do whatever, just to avoid the after meal cig

I did a course for quitting long ago. if anyone smokes, put a ton of cigs in a jar with water. let steep. oh yea, you want a cig, go sniff. makes ya NOT want one.

and eat your frustrations the lc way. SO YOU GAIN 3 lbs. who cares. it BY FAR outweighs the stopping smoking. those 3-5 lbs. you can easily lose later and you know that, the cig thing is harder if you give in.

YOU ROCKING IT!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
I gained weight when I quit. That was over a year ago, and because I didn't react quick enough, I'm now working towards losing the weight and the pounds that came on top of that! I have a lot of issues, inflammation being one of them, so my story is a complex one, but I'm seeing some results with LCHF/NK now. The quitting was the easy part for me, the losing weight now is the hard part. I let a lot of things slip before quitting and after too, and thus gained a lot more weight in these last years than I should have. The good thing though is that I'm still a non-smoker and am not craving cigarettes since day 8 of quitting!

I think eating LC will definitely minimise any gains you will have, and the feeling of joy and freedom you have because you quit smoking is a great reward as well!

Congratulations on quitting: you are a star!!!!!!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Princess Mommy- how are you doing? Here is some more motivation...I am an RN and last year we lost a patient at 40 years old. Smoker, lung cancer, died less than a year after diagnosis. It doesn't only happen to people after 40 plus years of smoking. Good to be quitting now!! Stay strong!!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillyme
Stats: 328/174.2/150
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 now hHCG
Start Date: Jan 2/07- restart Sept 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1 View Post
I know here in Canada Chantix is called "champex" and champex is the same as "wellbutrin" which is an anti-depressant that speeds up the nervous system and can make some people prone to anxiety more anxious (Hence what leo41 was saying about it causing suicidal thoughts /actions) But I'm surprised that it can still make you gain weight. A lot of what I hear about the weight gain about quitting smoking has to do with people having an oral fixation and some people tend to eat more after quitting smoking hence the weight gain. But Leo41 may have a great point. It could be water weight as well. It is strange how our bodies can react to certain things. And remember tobacco is a stimulant that effects our nervous system by speeding things up. Perhaps the absence of a stimulant such as tobacco may cause a bit of a slow down. I suspect that once your body is used to the absence of this stimulant that It may adjust to your new way of life and you will start to lose. I wouldnt worry about the mild weight gain it could be water. But maybe try to keep the fat intake up and the carbs low. Try to re-shock your body into weight loss.
Champix is definitely not the same as wellbutrin, I've used both and had success with both....this time I've stayed quit though! I gained 7 pounds when I quit, I stayed low carb but was snacking far too often. Could that possibly be a reason for you?
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote