Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
developed egg allergy at age 28?

Is this possible? Eggs used to be such a big part of my diet and I always loved eating them. About September of last year I got horribly sick after eating some for breakfast. I thought it was just a fluke. I threw out those eggs and tried again after about a week (I couldn't look at an egg during that time.) Sure enough, I was sick again though I didn't vomit, just had a horrible stomach ache the rest of the day. Even during my total meltdown month long carb binge I had a few biscuit breakfast sandwiches with egg on them, and same stomach pain. I've had to switch to atkins shakes for breakfast. Anyone else ever experience something like this? I always thought allergies you were either born with them or not.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
I got a wheat allergy later on in life. I'm now discovering I'm allergic to something else. Just got tested again, so I guess the answer to your question is yes, it is entirely possible!

Sorry it's eggs, that must be very annoying! Did you get tested? It really does help!

My sister had an egg allergy when she was a baby to about 10 years old. She grew out of it.
Mimosa23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chelseybelle27
Stats: 295.0/283.2/195.0
WOE: Extended Induction
Start Date: 1/4/2014
I also developed an egg allergy at 28!! I was eating eggs and bacon, and my lips started to swell. I cut out bacon (thinking maybe it was pork I was allergic to) and still ate eggs, and my lips were still swelling, so it was the eggs! I got tested for the allergy and sure enough, eggs! Usually egg allergies are found in children and they tend to outgrow them, but yes, people can definitely develop allergies into adulthood.

I have not eaten another egg inadvertently since then, but sometimes they get snuck in to the craziest things (sweet tarts!?) so I had to be careful. My symptoms now include extreme throat, ear and mouth itching, so I am afraid soon it will become a complete anaphylaxis reaction, therefore I completely avoid it. I also DO NOT receive my flu shot (hard to do in my profession, as a RN, but I have no choice!)

I agree it does suck to have an egg allergy and be LC, but I have been able to make it work. I dont eat mayonnaise either because I react to that and miracle whip. I usually find myself eating leftovers for breakfast

Crazy to find a fellow egg allergy person on a LC forum

Goal #1: 265.0 (Back to where I was last year!)
Goal #2: 240.0 (Back to where I was 2 years ago, seeing a trend )
Goal #3: 215.0 (Almost there!)
Goal #4: 195.0 (GOOOOOAAAAL!)

Last edited by chelseybelle27; 01-17-2014 at 07:04 AM..
chelseybelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yes, you can develop food allergies at any time in your life. I have a friend who developed an allergy to shellfish when she was over 50. I think it's more difficult when you're older if you've developed a taste for the food(s) you must now avoid.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lclover
I had the same thing happen to me years ago, with eggs giving me a terrible stomach ache. I tried them again after a few years and was fine.
lclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I developed an allergy to runny egg yolks when I was in my 40s (itchy lips & throat, runny eyes, blocked nose). Fully cooked and eggs as an ingredient in cooked food seemed OK. Recently it’s got better again, but I don’t want to push it, so I generally try to avoid raw egg (e.g. homemade mayonnaise). I don’t really like cooked eggs anyway, except scrambled, but if I have those, they just feel like a lead weight in my stomach for the whole day, so while I don’t worry too much about cooking with the odd egg, I avoid them most of the time.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
That's scary--- eggs are a huge part of my diet.
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Absolutely possible. I had no allergies when I was a kid, developed a crap-ton between ages 16-21, and have slowly developed a few more over the years.

The most recent is an allergy to shrimp that I developed last year. I was 39. Like Leo41 says, that one is really hard for me, because I've eaten and loved shrimp my entire life, and it's hard to get it through my pea brain that it's no longer on my list of safe foods.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
that's awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Absolutely possible. I had no allergies when I was a kid, developed a crap-ton between ages 16-21, and have slowly developed a few more over the years.

The most recent is an allergy to shrimp that I developed last year. I was 39. Like Leo41 says, that one is really hard for me, because I've eaten and loved shrimp my entire life, and it's hard to get it through my pea brain that it's no longer on my list of safe foods.
I don't know if I would want to go on living if I couldn't eat shrimp!
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Yes. My sister in law has developed an allergy to meat! YIKES

Not chicken - but, beef and pork. Has landed her in the ER twice. She is in her late 40's.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNCuffs View Post
Yes. My sister in law has developed an allergy to meat! YIKES

Not chicken - but, beef and pork. Has landed her in the ER twice. She is in her late 40's.
OMG! My dad has an allergy to mammals. He can only eat poultry and fish. I thought he was the only one in the world...
Mimosa23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Later in life (ie not childhood) allergies really stink! I have oral allergy syndrome related to squash, cucumber, etc as well as a pepper allergy (which really stinks because pepper is used to color a lot of foods ), and a yeast allergy (no condiments, fermented foods, vinegar, aged foods, etc). All of these developed in my early 30's.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janamonkey
Stats: 201/194/131
WOE: LC
Yep, happened to me at 24. I'm not allergic to duck eggs however so I eat those instead!
janamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittycatmom
Stats: 184/159/150
WOE: Low carb, high fat, moderate protein / gluten free
Start Date: August 2013
I was in my 30's when I became intolerant / allergic to eggs. I get terrible nausea for hours after eating them.

I could seemingly eat whatever I wanted until that point-- I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in my 40's, and around that time found I could no longer tolerate soy or coconut.
Kittycatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: baseballmom
Stats: 176/162.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 12/06/13
I became allergic to shellfish just 3 years ago!!
baseballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Most of the time when you are allergic to something when you are a kid, you will grow out of it but if you get that allergy when you are an adult its for the rest of your life (according to my allergy doctor)

I am allergic to Crab meat (ended up in the ER with hives (even in my hair!) and my throat was closing up)
Also allergic to citrus, peanuts, some nuts, and of course some trees, dust, and mold etc..

I got tested when I was in my upper 30's early 40's and out of 100 items I was allergic to 39 things.

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: baseballmom
Stats: 176/162.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 12/06/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Most of the time when you are allergic to something when you are a kid, you will grow out of it but if you get that allergy when you are an adult its for the rest of your life (according to my allergy doctor)

I am allergic to Crab meat (ended up in the ER with hives (even in my hair!) and my throat was closing up)
Also allergic to citrus, peanuts, some nuts, and of course some trees, dust, and mold etc..

I got tested when I was in my upper 30's early 40's and out of 100 items I was allergic to 39 things.
Wow thats a lot!

I get hives every time i eat shrimp but my allergy test came bsck negative. I still dont eat it. Even the blood test was negative.
baseballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have an allergy to raw egg whites. ( the protein in eggs). I didn't know what was making my eyes and throat itchy until I had homemade ceaser dressing at a friend's house. I thought it was the salt in the bacon on my hands when I had bacon and sunny side up eggs for breakfast. I now make sure I wash my hands after cracking an egg.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I've read of this happening to others several times throughout the years on this forum. It happened to me several years ago, too!

I had been eating a lot of eggs for years, and loved them. One day, I had a stomach ache several hours after eating breakfast. It happened again a few days later, and then again. I realized it was the eggs, since it only happened when I ate eggs for breakfast. I stopped eating them and was fine. After reading up, I found that you can develop an allergy to the protein in the egg whites at any time, but it was suggested on one site that if you avoid it for a long period of time, the allergy could go away.

I'm thrilled to tell you that after avoiding eggs for about a year, I was able to slowly introduce them back into my diet without any ill effects. I've been eating them again for years with no problems. I hope this is the case for you, too!

As an aside, a couple of years ago, I realized that I was having a tingly feeling in my mouth and on my tongue after eating ham. I cautiously tried it three or four more times before confirming that it was, indeed, the ham causing the peculiar reaction (and different brands, too!). I avoided ham for quite awhile, but eventually was able to eat it again with no reaction. Thank goodness, because I love ham!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
My husband picked up his egg allergy in his 40's - exact same symptoms as you. HE is still mourning the loss of them in his life....
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #21

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I developed an egg allergy around that age too. Maybe sooner but that's when I knew for sure
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvetj79
Stats: 168.5/159.5/125
Start Date: Dec 29, 2013
Because I have had a bladder parasite I am now sensitive to eggs. When I eat them they make me have bladder pain.
yvetj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
I don’t think my egg allergy has completely gone, but it is milder now. It was much worse while I was going through the menopause. My other allergies (mostly airborne ones) were worse then too. I had a few years of daily antihistamines, but don’t take more than one or two a month now. Being tired, or run down, overeating, multiple allergens present at the same time will all make the reaction worse.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueguy1985 View Post
Is this possible? Eggs used to be such a big part of my diet and I always loved eating them. About September of last year I got horribly sick after eating some for breakfast. I thought it was just a fluke. I threw out those eggs and tried again after about a week (I couldn't look at an egg during that time.) Sure enough, I was sick again though I didn't vomit, just had a horrible stomach ache the rest of the day. Even during my total meltdown month long carb binge I had a few biscuit breakfast sandwiches with egg on them, and same stomach pain. I've had to switch to atkins shakes for breakfast. Anyone else ever experience something like this? I always thought allergies you were either born with them or not.

I developed an allergy to sea food as an adult. I used to love shrimp now I can't eat it without feeling nauseous as soon as 1 piece of shrimp passes my lips I get the urge to vomit. All sea food makes me nauseous now.

But as for eggs, maybe try organic eggs, that's what I use. Eggs from chickens that were not fed any hormones.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

Yes suddenly I can't eat shrimp anymore either and I used to love shrimp! I can't eat any sea food.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I only get organic eggs anyway, and I’ve tried duck & quail eggs, but the response was the same to all of them. I used to love egg creams .
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
OMG! My dad has an allergy to mammals. He can only eat poultry and fish. I thought he was the only one in the world...
He is not alone. It has been awful for her. It comes on quick after eating meat. He daughter is the one who figured it out. She has stayed away from meat and no ER trips since. She is very careful.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
My allergy doc says that your allergies can also go in cycles (typically 7-year cycles). I find that my allergies do change over time, though I haven't tracked them to the 7-year thing. Although I had life-threatening egg white allergy as a child, for several years in adulthood, I could eat quiche and custard with no problem. But if my seasonal allergies flare, so do my food allergies.

My peanut allergy never goes away or wanes, so I'm cautious of peanuts all the time, but others (sweet potato, rice, citrus, egg white) seem to come and go. Time of day matters, too. Orange or other citrus fruit or juice in the morning kills me. But I could tolerate it later in the day (although I really never eat it now). Cycling seems to happen with skincare products, too. Strange how our bodies can react to some substances, isn't it?

Tired of looking like the "before" picture. I'm ready to be an AFTER!!

"No creature ever died for lack of STARCH." -- Dr. Rob Thompson
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHinOK View Post
My allergy doc says that your allergies can also go in cycles (typically 7-year cycles). I find that my allergies do change over time, though I haven't tracked them to the 7-year thing. Although I had life-threatening egg white allergy as a child, for several years in adulthood, I could eat quiche and custard with no problem. But if my seasonal allergies flare, so do my food allergies.

My peanut allergy never goes away or wanes, so I'm cautious of peanuts all the time, but others (sweet potato, rice, citrus, egg white) seem to come and go. Time of day matters, too. Orange or other citrus fruit or juice in the morning kills me. But I could tolerate it later in the day (although I really never eat it now). Cycling seems to happen with skincare products, too. Strange how our bodies can react to some substances, isn't it?
That's interesting, I never knew that.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #30
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I developed an allergy to avocado when I was pregnant. Thankfully it went away a few years later. I mean, he's a great kid and all, but it was avocados!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote