Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What the heck is going on???? Need help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/821029-what-heck-going-need-help.html)

smith13 01-16-2014 01:50 PM

What the heck is going on???? Need help!
 
So I have done Atkins 3 or 4 times before and never had an issue losing weight especially in the first 2 weeks. Usually I will drop about 10 pounds.

Started about 3 weeks ago with induction. Within 4 days I was in the darkest red on a keto strip and I'm still in ketosis as I have stuck to under 20 grams of carbs a day.

But here I am 3 weeks later and haven't dropped an ounce and haven't lost any inches in the mid section. Also I feel bloated just about every day.

I did start lifting weights but I have started out very light as to not get too sore. Just like to get going for a few weeks before I start loading up the heavy weights.

Now I'm not looking to give up just yet as I really want to make a lifestyle change to low carb for good but I need some ideas as to why I'm not losing anything yet?

As for food I'm sticking to meats, eggs and cheese. Also still drinking coke zero but never had a problem with that before and I am eating some of the Atkins bars and candies. Also never had issues with those before.

So any ideas or advice??

Aitch 01-16-2014 02:00 PM

There are several things that could cause this. Are you male or female?
Are you eating any veg?
Drinking lots of water?

MtherGoos 01-16-2014 02:25 PM

Honestly, I'd drop the Atkins bars and candies. Keep it clean with your meats, eggs, cheese, and fats and ditch the rest for now. Once you're losing, you can slowly add things back in to find what your body can tolerate.

jhbyrd 01-16-2014 02:36 PM

How much Atkins bars/candy are you eating, try to keep it to one a day. If I eat more it will stall me. I only eat one if I feel a craving for something sweet maybe 1 or two a week. But we all are different and make sure to eat your veggies!!

Jeannie

franciejones 01-16-2014 03:06 PM

Drop all the fake sugar. If nothing happens in a couple weeks..you can always go back to them

smith13 01-16-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhbyrd (Post 16759956)
How much Atkins bars/candy are you eating, try to keep it to one a day. If I eat more it will stall me. I only eat one if I feel a craving for something sweet maybe 1 or two a week. But we all are different and make sure to eat your veggies!!

Jeannie

1 bar per day and once in awhile a peanut butter cup one after dinner

smith13 01-16-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aitch (Post 16759925)
There are several things that could cause this. Are you male or female?
Are you eating any veg?
Drinking lots of water?

Male

Yes but only lettuce and mini tomatoes

Yes

smith13 01-16-2014 07:46 PM

Also I am staying at 2000 calories or less every day. So I'm really stumped.

emily1 01-16-2014 10:01 PM

I tried doing the atkins bars, I wouldn't gain weight but I wouldn't lose an ounce either. I agree you gotta eliminate the diet coke and def the Atkins bars especially ( even if they say that they can be used during phase 1). I don't mean to offend any atkin's bars lovers out there but they use some pretty deceptive labelling and sugar alcohols are not what this plan is all about. Some people also end up gaining weight on these bars. For you lucky ones who can eat these and still lose weight...man you are lucky!

smith13 01-16-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily1 (Post 16760493)
I tried doing the atkins bars, I wouldn't gain weight but I wouldn't lose an ounce either. I agree you gotta eliminate the diet coke and def the Atkins bars especially ( even if they say that they can be used during phase 1). I don't mean to offend any atkin's bars lovers out there but they use some pretty deceptive labelling and sugar alcohols are not what this plan is all about. Some people also end up gaining weight on these bars. For you lucky ones who can eat these and still lose weight...man you are lucky!

But I never had a problem before with diet coke and Atkins bars. It's just weird that I'm not losing anything at all.

snowangel9 01-17-2014 12:05 AM

:welcome: first of all. I had the same thing happen to me. Started on Maria Emmerich's plan and lost 5 lbs in a month. Got a lot of ideas of what it could be. Found a ND, turns out it was my thyroid. Might want to have that checked.

Also, sometimes when we restart, we think we know what we are doing, because we've done it before, right? I know I'm guilty of that. A good idea would be to go back and read the book. Refresh your idea of what you should be doing.

Mimosa23 01-17-2014 01:49 AM

When your ketostix are that dark, it is a sign of dehydration. This can lead to water retention, and thus no weightloss.

I highly recommend that you drink more. This was the first thing that really stood out for me from your post. How much exactly are you drinking?

I would also drop all the fake foods, and stick with natural foods.
Also, are you eating fats with your meats, eggs and cheese? And adding a little unrefined salt? You need salt if you are in ketosis, and unless your Dr has told you not to add salt, you can add some.

Also, just because you never had issues before with artificial foods (bars, candies, diet drinks for example) does not mean you don't have issues with them now. Drop them for a month and see if this helps.

Is the meat and cheese you eat highly processed? I.e: pepperoni, salami, bacon, ham, cheese slices.... These can stall too. You should eat these kind of foods in moderation, and definitely drink enough to flush out the sodium, nitrates, dextrose and whatnot.

Cheese is another known staller for some people. Try only eating up to 3-4 oz per day total of cheese. It may help too.

There can be hidden carbs in all store bought ready made products like mayo, salad dressings, spreads, dips, etc. Please make sure you read the labels carefully before buying them.

I highly recommend keeping a food (and drink) diary with exact quantities. It may help you identify where you are getting stuck.

Also, we don't lose weight steadily, and your body may hold on to water weight before another whoosh.

I also second what snowangel9 says: go back and read the book, you may find you are missing something that could help you in your journey!

luckymuma 01-17-2014 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16760542)
When your ketostix are that dark, it is a sign of dehydration. This can lead to water retention, and thus no weightloss.

I highly recommend that you drink more. This was the first thing that really stood out for me from your post. How much exactly are you drinking?

I would also drop all the fake foods, and stick with natural foods.
Also, are you eating fats with your meats, eggs and cheese? And adding a little unrefined salt? You need salt if you are in ketosis, and unless your Dr has told you not to add salt, you can add some.

Also, just because you never had issues before with artificial foods (bars, candies, diet drinks for example) does not mean you don't have issues with them now. Drop them for a month and see if this helps.

Is the meat and cheese you eat highly processed? I.e: pepperoni, salami, bacon, ham, cheese slices.... These can stall too. You should eat these kind of foods in moderation, and definitely drink enough to flush out the sodium, nitrates, dextrose and whatnot.

Cheese is another known staller for some people. Try only eating up to 3-4 oz per day total of cheese. It may help too.

There can be hidden carbs in all store bought ready made products like mayo, salad dressings, spreads, dips, etc. Please make sure you read the labels carefully before buying them.

I highly recommend keeping a food (and drink) diary with exact quantities. It may help you identify where you are getting stuck.

Also, we don't lose weight steadily, and your body may hold on to water weight before another whoosh.

I also second what snowangel9 says: go back and read the book, you may find you are missing something that could help you in your journey!

:goodpost:

Only thing I would add is that each time you restart low carb, it can take a little longer for your body to really get into the swing. How many years have last since your first attempt? My first attempt was like 11 or so years ago, and the weightloss then was astounding...now 11years and three kids later...the loss is there but it is slooooooow!

cfine 01-19-2014 08:03 AM

You are older....things change, unfortunately!

Aomiel 01-19-2014 08:45 AM

Couldn't have said it better. Also, which Atkins plan are you following? I didn't know any of them allow things like the bars during induction.

KISS principle...eat 'clean'. Get rid of the artificial sweeteners, bars, etc. Eat proteins and non-starchy vegies.

I know some people don't count calories or carbs but I always recommend they do...particularly if they aren't losing. By keeping a record, you may find you're eating more carbs than you thought or perhaps you're just eating too many calories.

In the past, I could go on Atkins and drop weight very quickly, even while eating 2300+ calories per day. Now, I can't eat more than 1500-1600 just to maintain my 140 lbs.

Then just be patient. Expectations are the biggest reason most people go back to their old way of eating.

julieboolie 01-19-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith13 (Post 16759912)
So I have done Atkins 3 or 4 times before and never had an issue losing weight especially in the first 2 weeks. Usually I will drop about 10 pounds.

Started about 3 weeks ago with induction. Within 4 days I was in the darkest red on a keto strip and I'm still in ketosis as I have stuck to under 20 grams of carbs a day.

But here I am 3 weeks later and haven't dropped an ounce and haven't lost any inches in the mid section. Also I feel bloated just about every day.

I did start lifting weights but I have started out very light as to not get too sore. Just like to get going for a few weeks before I start loading up the heavy weights.

Now I'm not looking to give up just yet as I really want to make a lifestyle change to low carb for good but I need some ideas as to why I'm not losing anything yet?

As for food I'm sticking to meats, eggs and cheese. Also still drinking coke zero but never had a problem with that before and I am eating some of the Atkins bars and candies. Also never had issues with those before.

So any ideas or advice??

Each time we "restart" Atkins I find it tougher to lose weight again. Keeping it clean and homemade will help, plenty of water, and more veggies help a lot! Some irregularity and bloating could be involved too. And of course, the weight lifting, even lightly will make water retention happen.
How much do you have to lose? Are you sore from your workouts? If you have less to lose, it'll be much harder too.

Good luck to you!! I hope you are hanging in there and doing well.

clackley 01-20-2014 11:22 AM

How much protein are you consuming? This can be a problem for some.

shaunbeatscarbs 01-20-2014 06:41 PM

I'm having the same problem! I've had major success before but nothing this time. So weird. I upped my water and cleaned up my food/drink as much as possible (I drink diet coke and use atkins products too, but i did before also) We'll see what happens! I can't stop because regardless of the scale being a turd, I only feel good when I'm off sugar.

JennyP 01-21-2014 02:33 PM

Nobody's asked, but have you been experiencing constipation?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM.