Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Greek yogurt -- I gained ten pounds in a week! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/821010-greek-yogurt-i-gained-ten-pounds-week.html)

Black Betty 01-16-2014 07:23 AM

Greek yogurt -- I gained ten pounds in a week!

I decided to try Fage full fat yogurt last Friday. Since then I've eaten some every day. I'm up ten pounds! I didn't feel much digestive discomfort, so it just crept up on me. I ate the last of what I had in the house this morning and I'm just totally swearing it off now. Ugh!

emily1 01-16-2014 08:48 AM

Greek Yogurt

Don't be discouraged! I have done this about a million times over the course of the last 10 years. I think part of it is that I was in denial about how much weight I put on. I would eat "low-carb" prepackaged items and then weigh myself at the end of the week only to find that I had gained a ton of weight in such a short period of time. I havent tried the greek yogurt but I do find that too much dairy for some reason makes me gain weight whether its cream, yogurt or cheese. Think of it as an experiment. Sometimes certain foods are not right for you whereas others tolerate it and have no problems losing weight. Your weight will come down quickly after stopping it. Good thing you realized it quick

Sirtain 01-16-2014 09:15 AM

That definitely sounds like a dairy intolerance. Do you eat any other dairy with no ill-effects?

Randy 01-16-2014 10:06 AM

I was about to post why 3 or for ounces of a name brand yogurt wouldn't be ok. Nutrition label below:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps9npefzmr.jpg

Spanilingo 01-16-2014 10:19 AM

Yogurt makes me really hungry. I eat dairy without issue but yogurt always increases my Appetite. I eat it only as tzatziki. Strawberries do too. I can eat all fruits BUT strawberries ! Strawberries with yogurt just make me hungry.

MargD 01-16-2014 10:46 AM

I have 7oz of plain, full-fat Greek yogurt 1-2 times a week for lunch without any problem.

Black Betty 01-16-2014 10:49 AM

I've used heavy cream without seeing a spike, but I had tried to cut down on dairy because I tend to overdo it. I've been off and on induction level for three years, lost 25+ pounds. I'm trying to lose another 20.

karenann33 01-16-2014 01:22 PM

There are foods I flat out CANNOT eat. Not sure why I just can't. They cause a spike and must be avoided.

rubidoux 01-16-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16759582)
Yogurt makes me really hungry. I eat dairy without issue but yogurt always increases my Appetite. I eat it only as tzatziki. Strawberries do too. I can eat all fruits BUT strawberries ! Strawberries with yogurt just make me hungry.

Omg, strawberries get me into terrible trouble, esp if they're really good ones. I have binged on them several times. :( And Fage or the like, can't handle it, I over eat every single time. One thing I can do w yogurt, though, is get a whole quart and doctor it up w low carb whatever, and eat nothing but that for the whole day, so my calories are low and my macros not terrible, but I'm pretty satisfied by it. I haven't done that in a long time, though, and I don't think I should.

Black Betty 01-16-2014 06:29 PM

Ugh, I ended up totally pigging out on Chex Mix puppy chow. This day really sucked. I'm getting back on track starting now, will wait a week to weigh myself again because I will just get frustrated if I weigh myself any sooner.

Terilynn 01-17-2014 07:27 AM

Are you really convinced it was the Greek Yogurt - did you eat the very same as you had been before? Maybe once you start eating Greek Yogurt you need to look at cutting some of the other dairy you consume.

Greek Yogurt is a staple for me - but not every day, not a lot, and if I do have Greek Yogurt I don't have much other dairy that day.

Jennyl 01-17-2014 03:56 PM

when I was on atkins, things like that were too high in carbs for me to lose weight. I have a very low carb level though, I have to stay at induction levels or I don't lose.

greengeeny 01-18-2014 08:42 AM

I never knew yogurt was low carb.

shelby'snana 01-18-2014 08:59 AM

i eat Greek Goddess full fat plain yogurt, I just sprinkle a little SF drink mix of any flavor I want and stir it up. Lots of protein and very little carbs.. I love it and it fills me up really well for hours.

Jackie123 01-18-2014 11:07 AM

I've so been there, done that: yogurt is one of those individual tolerance foods. Some people can tolerate it, some can't. I most definitely can't.

BumbleStang 01-18-2014 01:24 PM

While Greek yogurt wasn't making me gain, I'm beginning to suspect it was slowing my weight loss.

Starting on January 1, I began swapping my daily breakfast of Fage 2% fat Greek Yogurt (9 carbs) with 2 hard-boiled eggs + sausage.

I am down 4 lbs in 17 days. Before, I was averaging a 2 or 3 lbs loss per month. It's still too early to know for sure, but I track my weight loss on a graph and I think by March I should really know the effects of my breakfast swap.

yvetj79 01-18-2014 01:43 PM

I only eat it occasionally. It's not a daily food.

Black Betty 01-19-2014 06:38 PM

I hadn't eaten anything else that was off plan. I've never eaten yogurt much before, so I didn't know how my body would respond. I'm seeing pounds drop already!

IWILLDOIT1978 01-19-2014 08:13 PM

I like the Chobani plain yogurt with sf drink mix. :-)

julieboolie 01-19-2014 08:18 PM

Bummer :(. I love my full fat GY (Voskos or trader joes are the best!). I have a serving a lot and it hasn't ever made me gain. It's definitely a ymmv thing.

Hope you recover from the puppy chow incident. That stuff is dangerous!

Demonica 01-20-2014 08:45 AM

I only eat 1/4 C (2.5 carbs) at a time mixed with 1/4 C of blueberries (4.5 carbs). And then only every other day.

yvetj79 01-20-2014 09:02 AM

Yeah I limit myself to half cup at most. I put splenda in mine. I only have once in awhile. Hope your back to normal BlackBetty.

Aleina 01-20-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengeeny (Post 16762370)
I never knew yogurt was low carb.

It can be, but you need to make it yourself and let it ferment to a point where it loses all natural sweetness,becomes indeed sour but therefore negating the "treat feel"unless you pep it up with artificial sweeteners. Commercial plain has between 5 and 10 g of carbs.

JennyP 01-20-2014 06:55 PM

I make my own yogurt with whole milk and heavy cream and let it ferment for 24 hours. By that time, it is as thick as greek yogurt and has virtually no carbs at all, because the lactose has all been used up.

clackley 01-21-2014 07:52 AM

I have made my own with whole milk and hwc. Put it threw a coffee filter to strain off as much of the whey as possible. This is the part of yogurt that contains most of the carbs. You can do this step with a commercially made yogurt as well provided that yogurt doesn't have ingredients that you don't want. What you do want to see on the label is...

milk, cream, bacterial culture (live)

That is it. If there are other ingredients, it is not going to be a great choice. If you can find it in organic form... even better. That is one of the good reasons to make your own. You can choose organic ingredients and save a ton.

Nimuae 01-21-2014 08:25 AM

(Tossing my Greek Yogurt in the trash as I type this!) What? That is really extreme, have you made any other changes that might have "conspired" with the yogurt to cause the gain? Are you using low carb meal replacement bars? Those always cause me to stall or gain if I have dairy during the same time frame, now I just avoid the fake sweets or meal replacements altogether as they seem to do me more harm than good

jdc12383 01-21-2014 10:59 AM

I have the full fat singe serving cups of Fage full fat yogurt. For me, they are extremely filling (18g of protein). I have never encountered any problem with it, but everyone has sensitivity to different things. This is a food which low carb dieters should try for a short period of time to determine whether or not it affects them. Also, an additional 8g of carbs might be what set you off. It is not a lot, but that plus the rest of the small amounts of carbs you eat every day might be too much. Everyone has a different carb threshold. Some people can go into ketosis by just staying under 50g carbs while others have to limit themselves to 15-20g carbs. (I know it isn't fair)

Sunshine 57 01-21-2014 11:30 AM

I was just thinking about trying greek yogurt for bkfst.Dr ozz said its so good to help lose wt eating.I'm scared I'll gain since it does have sugar.I need to stay on induction level to lose.

Black Betty 01-21-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimuae (Post 16766672)
(Tossing my Greek Yogurt in the trash as I type this!) What? That is really extreme, have you made any other changes that might have "conspired" with the yogurt to cause the gain? Are you using low carb meal replacement bars? Those always cause me to stall or gain if I have dairy during the same time frame, now I just avoid the fake sweets or meal replacements altogether as they seem to do me more harm than good

Nope, I resolved about a month ago that I would stop using all artificial sweeteners, cut back dairy, and totally cut out diet soda. The yogurt was the first odd thing I'd had in a while.