Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
One more try

Changed my diet to LC and lost 30 lbs from June through September.

Introduced some carbs in middle of September but was good during the week. That led to more carbs during the week due to lack of planning and life getting in the way. My guess is ~8 lbs back on and I feel it in my clothes getting tighter again.

I want to do LC again and will try it but it will probably be a yo-yo affect as I just don't have the time available to me to plan and eat right. When I had time (summer time) it was great as I planned and prepared every meal. I made myself breakfast every morning, made extra food for dinner to bring for lunch the next days (Mostly grilled outdoors), brought my lunch to work and refused carbs unless it was in a vegetable and under 3 carbs. it worked great.

Now when on the run going here and there it is not simple. Everywhere you go there are carbs. Takeout, dining out, etc - Carbs are everywhere. Then the stress will make me eat more of it. I dont have any good stress reliever besides drinking and eating. Getting home late or running the kids to sports and etc has taken over my free time. Resulting in pizza, chinese, fast food takeout. This is the worst thing you can do when on a strict diet like LC where the restaurant's food is not LC. There are no fast food LC places.

The result of eating carbs again besides the weight gain is lack of energy. I am feeling very sluggish lately as well.

One thing I am surprised was a negative with LC was my HDL cholesterol dropped 15 pts from 38 - 23. While this looks good for total cholesterol loss but my LDL cholesterol did not change after 3 months of LC. Blood pressure has gone up a little. Sugars remained the same 85-90.

I may also need to find another way to lose weight and keep it off as once going off LC the weight will come back on and fast. I do understand no matter what diet/WOE I choose that if I go off of it I will gain weight. But I need a WOE one more forgiving for when I cant plan/prepare. Its either LC or NOT. No in between. I do drink alcohol. When I did LC over the summer I just had Vodka with club soda or Crystal light mix - No carbs and I lost weight on it. Now I have had a few beers lately as I missed them allot (LC beer is nasty). I use it as a stress relief and a social thing. It' s all around me and what I do. I do not see myself stopping it all together.

I have failed the past 3 days so far trying to restart but will try again tomorrow.
1/15/14 - Trying to get back on LC - Weigh 225

Last edited by rob71; 01-15-2014 at 11:32 AM..
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kriss
Stats: 145/142/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/3/14
Rob71 the thing that i think is hardest for you is as you say a lack of time to plan and prep. I think no matter what you choose you will have to make time to plan and prep….as i know of not many WOE that include lots of pizza, chinese food, and other fast foods.

I do wish you luck on finding something that you can fit into your busy lifestyle. I think its simply going to come down to how important it is to you. One of my best friends has 4 kids and is a busy with their activities (its a CRAZY SCHEDULE!) as well as her own career and yet she manages to eat healthy and squeeze in exercise. She feels like it is a must in order for her to be the best her she can be…….for her family and herself.
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Maybe weight watchers would be better? Starting with such a defeatist attitude sure isn't going to help. If you find a diet where you can eat all the fast food and convenience foods, I'd like to hear about it.

Like Kris's said, with any 'diet' or change, you still have to plan.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I would challenge your thinking that you cannot eat LC and do fast food, pizza places or Chinese. You just have to choose smarter.

I don't know of any ff place that won't make a bunless burger, and many of them have salads now (just don't get that nasty "lite" dressing - go for full fat ranch or blue cheese). KFC does "naked" strips as does Popeye's (those 2 both have green beans as a side to, as al alternative to fries). Many places offer lettuce wraps, too.

Pizza? Ok, grab a fork and just eat the toppings.

Chinese - Avoid the rice and noodles and dig onto the beef with broccoli or something similar.

There are also plenty of ways to plan ahead. Boil up a dozen eggs on a Sunday, and grab as needed. Carry beef jerky in your car, pre-cut celery sticks from the supermarket, keep nut butters on hand or some almonds in your desk...even keep some Atkins bars or protein shakes in the car for when you find yourself in a pinch.

These are just the first ideas that come to me. Are they the healthiest, grain fed, make it yourself options ever? Nope. Are there better ways to provide nutrients to your body? Sure - but are these things better than what you are doing now? Absolutely.

Tough love time, my friend.

If you want something badly enough, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse.

Right now, it sounds like you are working in the second half of that.

Best of luck, whichever way you decide to go!

If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse.

Team in Trainining alumni - San Diego marathon 2005. Half marathon in San Francisco 2007! Working hard to wipe out blood cancers.

Last edited by 2BoysMom; 01-15-2014 at 12:24 PM..
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I agree with 2Boys, you can definitely make better choices while on the run and even with a very busy schedule. I find restaurants extremely easy since there is always a way to do low carb, even if you just order an entree and specify no bread/potaotes, etc. Virtually all fast food places can be low carb as well. You say that it is either LC or not, but I don't find that to be true. At this point, when you don't have tons of time to cook or plan, if you do the best you can, I'll bet you can at least maintain or only gain a little bit rather than a whole lot. Good luck!
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Rob, I remember some long threads with the good people here trying to give you very good tips and tricks to do low carb 'on the go'. Lots of people are living similar lives and have figured it out.

It seems you are still feeling pretty negative towards low carb and that would beg the question, why not try something else? Whatever you decide, you will need to develop a positive and 'can do' attitude.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I am going to give it a try again. What I am saying is it's all or nothing for me. If I am doing LC I will limit the carbs to under 20. If I slip up I go off the wagon all the way and sabotage all the work I have done.

When I was LC for 2.5 months I was good with it and rejected everything with carbs in it, We did not eat out - I prepared meals and it was going great. I went away and had some carbs - this was the worst thing I could have done as the cravings came back so bad I kept on eating them - figuring I could go right back to LC. Nope, was I wrong. It is very hard for me to go to back to LC.

I want to do it. I am took allot of recommendations for thought. I will try some of them but I have a feeling that I will fail again due to lack of planning, something comes up (most nights) or just not eating making it worse. If I have one meal of carbs I will be right back on them all the way again. One slip up is devastating. Probably not a good way of going about things but this is my downfall. Thought process is "Well I am out of Ketosis, might as well have that plate of pasta"

I am not saying I want to eat pizza, pasta, chinese takeout or fast food. But sometimes its either that or nothing.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
I am going to give it a try again. What I am saying is it's all or nothing for me. If I am doing LC I will limit the carbs to under 20. If I slip up I go off the wagon all the way and sabotage all the work I have done.

When I was LC for 2.5 months I was good with it and rejected everything with carbs in it, We did not eat out - I prepared meals and it was going great. I went away and had some carbs - this was the worst thing I could have done as the cravings came back so bad I kept on eating them - figuring I could go right back to LC. Nope, was I wrong. It is very hard for me to go to back to LC.

I want to do it. I am took allot of recommendations for thought. I will try some of them but I have a feeling that I will fail again due to lack of planning, something comes up (most nights) or just not eating making it worse. If I have one meal of carbs I will be right back on them all the way again. One slip up is devastating. Probably not a good way of going about things but this is my downfall. Thought process is "Well I am out of Ketosis, might as well have that plate of pasta"

I am not saying I want to eat pizza, pasta, chinese takeout or fast food. But sometimes its either that or nothing.
Rob71 I think its possible you are not ready to take this on. You may not want it bad enough…yet. Im not saying you won't….but right now it look as though you don't. I know what thats like i have so so so been there. You have to make the decision to do what it takes, to plan, to research to take the advice given here and then COMMIT.

Find something to motivate you and USE IT!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
See, I've been to all of those types of restaurants, and more that are often even more carb-heavy, like Italian and Mexican, and find ways to stay on plan. Eating off plan is not an option for me, so I don't. I went to a pizza place two weeks ago, and a Mexican restaurant with friends this past weekend. Guess what? I stayed on plan.

Bunless burgers, pizza toppings (or NOT PIZZA, I had fish and spinach) at a pizza place, spicy beef and peppers with no rice at the Chinese place, and on and on. I have yet to be at a restaurant where I can't order an on-plan meal.

It's really a matter of deciding to do it. If you decide to do it, you will. If you decide you can't, you won't.

Good luck.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
"I have a feeling I will fail again due to lack of planning."

First of all, anyone who begins a new eating plan with the 'feeling' that he or she will fail, WILL fail. In my experience (and from all I've read), it's very important to feel positive.

Secondly, if 'lack of planning' is inevitable, as you insist, then I doubt you will have success--with ANY weight-loss plan. Again, this may only be my experience, but my own weight loss (and 3+ years of maintenance) is due to planning, planning, and more planning. It should never have to be carbs--or nothing--as you suggest. But without planning, that's definitely the result because we are constantly surrounded by 'food cues' from the dominant American culture.

If you want to lose weight, it will require vigilance and planning--no matter what eating plan you follow.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
To borrow a fellow LC friends signature line, " If you really want something, you'll find a way; if not, you'll find an excuse."
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Hi Rob, nice to see you back here again.

I have nothing to add to what everyone else has voiced. I think you've gotten some good advice.

I hope you will find what fits you and that you pop in here and give us an update on how you are doing!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
rob71, it sounds to me like you're giving this another try to fail. There is no reason in the world why you can't eat on the run and stay on a LC plan; I do it all the time. I think this is just not for you.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Did not want to turn this into a negative post so my apologies.

By planning problems like this.

Scenario1: Say tonight I plan for tomorrow (this happens more often than not multiple times a week). I am planning on:
- Making breakfast at home in the morning(scrambled eggs, glass of water for breakfast)
- Bring a few slices of meat loaf (no breading) for lunch
- A cheese stick or two for snacks
- Plan is too cook a roasted chicken in the oven for dinner at 6:30 for a 7:30 dinner

now what happens allot is Well 4:00 comes around and plans change - kids need to go to practice or I have to work late. there goes the dinner plans right our the window.

My choices then are takeout/dineout/or not eat or eat at 10:00 at night - by then I will have not eaten since noon and you can see where that will go.

Scenario2: Say tonight I plan for tomorrow I am planning on:
- Making breakfast at home in the morning(scrambled eggs, glass of water for breakfast)
- Will not get home until after 9 as I have to work late or take the kids to sports. My lunchbox cooler will only hold food for so long - usually until about lunch then the food gets warm so I cant bring dinner in that as well.

My choices then are takeout/dineout/or not eat or eat at 10:00 at night - by then I will have not eaten since noon and you can see where that will go.

Scenario3: (When it works - once in a while) Say tonight I plan for tomorrow I am planning on:
- Get home on time - Plan is too cook a roasted chicken in the oven for dinner at 6:30 for a 7:30 dinner

Everything works as planned and I have leftovers for the next days lunch
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I think you should embrace solutions, not excuses.

I think all the previous posts sum it up quite politely and give great advice. The scenarios you lay out end up with the "death spiral" being take/dine out (or late eating/starvation).

You can eat out and still maintain being low carb, even at a more "high carb" menu restaurant, as other members have pointed out, and it doesn't even require that much effort to do so.

And as far as the kids' sporting events/practice go, you make it sound like a completely random or spontaneous event, when I'm pretty sure those are things you know about ahead of time and should easily plan around or incorporate into your meal plans for the day. As for having to work late, that's possibly a little more random, but you know it's a possibility, so you can pack certain things or find a good lunchbox cooler (there are some that with proper packing can easily maintain a respectable temp for 12+hrs) or if you have to go eat out because of working late, once again, you can find low carb options and don't have to succumb.

Your mentality seems to be setting yourself up for failure before you even get started. It's like a "I want to low carb because of xyz" when in most things you've mentioned, xyz aren't exactly catastrophic surprise events. People with extraordinarily busy lifestyles still maintain a low-carb diet because of their mentality and not viewing everything as a "I have no control or no option so I'm just stuck eating tons of carbs."

I wish you luck and hope you try, but going into such a change with a defeatist mindset can't be conducive to overall progress.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I get it. Your days don't go as planned. Welcome to modern day club.

The part that mystifies me about all your scenarios is this.

Why when it comes down to

"My choices then are takeout/dineout/or not eat or eat at 10:00 at night - by then I will have not eaten since noon and you can see where that will go."

do the "takeout/dineout" options mean going off plan?

Do they force you to eat the crust at the pizza place?
Do they not serve fajitas (which are essentially sauteed meat and low carb vegetables) at the Mexican place? And if they do, can you not hold the tortillas, rice and beans?
Are there no chef or Cobb salads at the eat-in restaurants you go to?
Are you unable to remove a burger from a bun and not eat fries?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I do stuff like the above all the time. It's not a hardship.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

On the eating out. Salads - allot say just get blue cheese dressing. I have been reading the labels on Blue cheese dressings. Some are 1G and some are 10G of carbs. Do you ask the waiter or fast food server to see the bottle? Or just go with no dressing (yuck - all the flavor is in the dressing not the bland lettuce).

Fajitas - sure hold the tortilla, rice/beans - How do I know whats in the sauce? Or do you ask for plain nothing added (no sauce) meat with a side of pepper? Peppers have carbs - Do I count the pieces I eat?

Tomato sauce has carbs in it as well - do I just ask for a bowl of mozzarella?

I just dont know.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

You are worrying about incrementals while throwing away the lot.

I honestly don't even stress about the above. I figure if there are a few carbs in the blue cheese dressing, big deal - it beats getting the pasta.

There is so little sauce on fajitas in general that even if there is some sugar, it doesn't matter.

You'd probably have to eat a cup of tomato sauce for those carbs to really matter. The average pizza does not come with that much sauce.

Have you read any books on low carb dieting? I go by Atkins 1992 edition. I did a little experimenting at home, measuring out portions so I could understand what "4 cups of salad vegetables" and "1 cup cooked vegetables" looks like. I learned what makes a vegetable low carb and I use that as my guide in cases where I am unfamiliar with the carb count of a specific item.

I don't count, I don't weigh, I don't obsess. There are carbs in everything . . . the choice you need to make is just going with the items that have as few as possible.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
Senior LCF member

I don't want to seem to be piling on, Rob, but these posts seem just like those in your previous low-carb attempt--you just justify your position and ignore the advice offered.

I'm with Aquarius on this because I've been eating low-carb for years--in restaurants, on cruises, on vacations (hotels), etc. And I've never had any problem--except that it take some effort to ignore the prevalent carbs.

1. As to salad dressing, I don't trust any commercial dressing at all. So I always ask for oil and vinegar 'on the side.' In most places, they bring out cruets of both, so I know exactly what I'm getting.

2. As to the fajitas--that's my 'go to' if I wind up in a Mexican restaurant (never my choice, but I have friends who love it). I don't know where you live, but I've had fajitas in several different restaurants, and the meat/onions, etc. are always sautéed just in oil--I've never seen any with a 'sauce' that I need to worry about.

I have never had any place (fast food even) refuse my request for a modification of any menu item. It's true that you probably can't be sure of every single carb when you're eating out, but you can be fairly certain that you're still on plan if you're careful--and ask questions.

I just don't see the problem as you do--and that, IMO, is the key.

Weight management takes effort and planning--and that means mentally embracing the process. You may have a physical need to lose weight, but you don't seem to be mentally engaged in making the needed adjustments.

There will always be 'reasons' why this doesn't work for you, and as long as you dwell on those 'reasons,' it won't work for you.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I want to do this but that is my thought process constantly. Like I said when I WAS in CONTROL I enjoyed it allot. Learned allot of new recipes - Who would have thought mashed Cauliflower would taste better than real mashed potatos? I love them eating LC or not. Even cauliflower rice with chili is excellent. We have a backyard party over the summer where I smoked/grilled food - ALL LC and no one complained and they all loved the food.

We made pizza's using chicken as the bread (Linda Sue's recipe sort of) - I like that allot as well and was getting my pizza fix in.

I was not really counting carbs but if it was not a green vegetable, or if it was a sauce of any sort I would not eat it. Stuffed chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, smoked pork loins, smoked/roasted chickens, pulled pork, steaks - But these take time and some allot of time that I dont have right now.

Allot of time its grab and go and that's where I get in trouble.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Not planning is planning to fail. Rob, really? So, you can only do low carb in the summer, right? Here's a scenario for you. I use to do this when I worked.

Saturday: Plan to stay home. Fix a breakfast casserole or a grab and go breakfast food. Hard boiled eggs, bacon sausage etc.

Fix two or even three casseroles and a couple of side dishes. There. All set. Now, what doesn't get eaten gets wrapped and frozen for easy heating and eating at home. Make sure you have the stapes on hand, lettuce, eggs, cheese, preformed hamburgers are quick and easy and can be cooked from frozen.

You know, while you're grilling all, summer start grilling extra, food saver and freeze it for later. This will only be as hard as you make it. Good luck

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
Senior LCF member

Rob-
Your recipes sound delicious--and that may be the problem. You seem to think you need to cook elaborate foods all the time in order to be low carb.

I eat as simply as possible, so my meals take about 15 min. to prepare--at most. Simple grilled meat (burgers, steak, chicken) or poached fish (or tuna or salmon from a can), eggs, omelets, etc. (I do this in 'self defense' because although I love to cook, too much 'food involvement' stimulates my appetite, and I tend to overeat.)

If you think in terms of 'simple foods,' then it's relatively easy to find similar food when you are forced to eat out.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I eat out fairly often, planned and unplanned. I have managed to stay on plan and lose weight. Because I decided I would.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
Start Date: December 22, 2013
Quote:
I want to do it. I am took allot of recommendations for thought. I will try some of them but I have a feeling that I will fail again due to lack of planning,
When, and only when, it becomes really important to you, you will find a way to make it work.
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/155.4/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
I want to do this but that is my thought process constantly. Like I said when I WAS in CONTROL I enjoyed it allot. Learned allot of new recipes - Who would have thought mashed Cauliflower would taste better than real mashed potatos? I love them eating LC or not. Even cauliflower rice with chili is excellent. We have a backyard party over the summer where I smoked/grilled food - ALL LC and no one complained and they all loved the food.

We made pizza's using chicken as the bread (Linda Sue's recipe sort of) - I like that allot as well and was getting my pizza fix in.

I was not really counting carbs but if it was not a green vegetable, or if it was a sauce of any sort I would not eat it. Stuffed chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, smoked pork loins, smoked/roasted chickens, pulled pork, steaks - But these take time and some allot of time that I dont have right now.

Allot of time its grab and go and that's where I get in trouble.
Carls Jr will wrap any burger in lettuce. Jimmy Johns does really awesome unwhich wraps for any sub. Subway has terrific salads. Any burger place, any time, will give you a burger, no bun. Every convenience store has jerky, nuts, cheese sticks, pork rinds. You can pack nuts, jerky, Quest bars in your car. You can freeze extra small meals to have when you need something on the go.

You can choose to get by in any situation.

Or, you can choose not to.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
From your posts, it seems that you like to be in control of every bite, or you feel it's useless to even try. This is what's holding you back. There are weeks when I eat out every single day. I am heavily involved in the restaurant scene in my town. There is never a reason for me to go off plan unless I want to (and sometimes I do).

Last night I went out for a pre-fixe 5-course dinner with very limited options: first course I had a full fat yogurt sauce and ate it with a spoon, no bread for dipping (yes, the yogurt has carbs, but it was the best choice among things like fried ravioli); second course was stuffed eggplant; third was fried brussels sprouts; 4th beef and lamb kabobs on pita bread with a salad. I didn't eat the pita bread; finally there was dessert. I ate some, but I certainly didn't have to. I could have had a cup of tea instead, but that was my choice. For cocktails, there were wonderful looking sugary concoctions, but I opted for a grey goose vodka with some club soda.

The point is, forget about needing to know the carb count in every morsel you eat. Educate yourself on the best options and choose as well as you can. Don't make it so hard on yourself that you know you will fail.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/140.4/149
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
See, I've been to all of those types of restaurants, and more that are often even more carb-heavy, like Italian and Mexican, and find ways to stay on plan. Eating off plan is not an option for me, so I don't. I went to a pizza place two weeks ago, and a Mexican restaurant with friends this past weekend. Guess what? I stayed on plan.

Bunless burgers, pizza toppings (or NOT PIZZA, I had fish and spinach) at a pizza place, spicy beef and peppers with no rice at the Chinese place, and on and on. I have yet to be at a restaurant where I can't order an on-plan meal.

It's really a matter of deciding to do it. If you decide to do it, you will. If you decide you can't, you won't.

Good luck.
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
Start Date: December 22, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
From your posts, it seems that you like to be in control of every bite, or you feel it's useless to even try. This is what's holding you back. There are weeks when I eat out every single day. I am heavily involved in the restaurant scene in my town. There is never a reason for me to go off plan unless I want to (and sometimes I do).

Last night I went out for a pre-fixe 5-course dinner with very limited options: first course I had a full fat yogurt sauce and ate it with a spoon, no bread for dipping (yes, the yogurt has carbs, but it was the best choice among things like fried ravioli); second course was stuffed eggplant; third was fried brussels sprouts; 4th beef and lamb kabobs on pita bread with a salad. I didn't eat the pita bread; finally there was dessert. I ate some, but I certainly didn't have to. I could have had a cup of tea instead, but that was my choice. For cocktails, there were wonderful looking sugary concoctions, but I opted for a grey goose vodka with some club soda.

The point is, forget about needing to know the carb count in every morsel you eat. Educate yourself on the best options and choose as well as you can. Don't make it so hard on yourself that you know you will fail.
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Cook on Sunday. I cook a couple big meats on Sunday so I have meat for the week. I will cook a couple of whole chickens, some pot roast, a ham, or pork roast. Then I use that meat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Once the meat is cooked, it only takes 10 minutes or less to prepare dinner and breakfast.

For example, pot roast and eggs for breakfast. Pot roast with Thai spices over salad for dinner. Put Mexican spices and now you have Machaca and eggs. I could go on, but you get the idea. A simple piece of meat cooked on the weekend with minimal spices can be reheated and tailored to different styles of food to keep things interesting. I never get bored.

I am a businessman. I eat out at least 5 times a week. I have done it from day one of the diet. You just need to learn how to order. I have yet to go to any restaurant that couldn't serve me something low carb. I will have to admit, sometimes it has just been a salad to hold me over until I got home. If you are eating low carb, you shouldn't have cravings, your blood sugar should be in check, and you shouldn't be overly hungry.

If you have the right mind set you can make this work for you. I also know that you can get out of control if you don't plan. Don't let yourself get in that situation.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you make it back.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
On the eating out. Salads - allot say just get blue cheese dressing. I have been reading the labels on Blue cheese dressings. Some are 1G and some are 10G of carbs. Do you ask the waiter or fast food server to see the bottle? Or just go with no dressing (yuck - all the flavor is in the dressing not the bland lettuce).

Fajitas - sure hold the tortilla, rice/beans - How do I know whats in the sauce? Or do you ask for plain nothing added (no sauce) meat with a side of pepper? Peppers have carbs - Do I count the pieces I eat?

Tomato sauce has carbs in it as well - do I just ask for a bowl of mozzarella?

I just dont know.
Ranch is usually a safe option. When hubby and i dine out we do fajitas all the time and skip the tortillas. I do however keep my carbs low everywhere else i have control for fear of hidden carbs…..i can usually stay on track and in Ketosis