Old 01-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: annec75
Stats: 334/334/200
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: 1-13-2014
losing To Live

Hello Everyone,

My name is Anne and I am a 38 year old married mom of 2 teens one with special needs, I am also severely overweight. I did not grow up overweight, this is all things that happened after I got married, I don't have any medical reason to be heavy, this is something that I chose to do to myself, I let this happen noone made me.

Like I said I am 38 years old, and my body is failing me all because of the bad choices I made, I am on 2 blood pressure meds, a fluid pill, anti-depressents, and 2 prescription meds for pain because of the weight that I pack around. I am basically dying little by little, and I don't want to die.

I want to be alive to take care of my family, I want to be able to get out there and do things without being in pain all the time, being made fun of. A couple of Halloween's ago my dads family had a get together at a local cabin,and all the kids dressed up and some of the adults did to and the kids trick or treated around the cabins, well it was dark outside with only a few outdoor lights burning one of my aunts had dressed up as a fat balorina and starting walking toward a group of men that my husband was in talking and one of my uncles said haa haa looking Anne dressed up as a balorina, when it was not me. This is no kind of life and I want to change it.

After talking with my dr, we have both decided that weight loss surgery is my only option, and with the insurance that I have makes it almost impossible for you to be able get the insurance company to pay for it. I have to be on a dr. supervised diet for a year. Well that is not the bad thing I have to loose 30 pounds on my own within a year. Now each month when I go to the dr, as long as I am losing or staying the same all is good, if I go 11 months and put on one pound I have to start back at the beginning for another year. My dr has to be the one to decide what diet I am to be on, and she has chosen low carbing for me. She said that is the best choice with the best chances of not regaining any weight as long as I stick to it. Also she has told me to cut out all pop regular and diet and that I think is the hardest thing for me, because I am very badly addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. But I can and will do this, I have to if I want to live.

Anne
annec75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aitch
Stats: 200/196/130ish
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Many moons ago.........
Hi Anne. You will get a lot of support here. Join a group or two. I found that has really helped.
It sounds as if you are at the point where you are ready to make a big life change. Well done. Once you get to this point you are really on your way. When you see the weight dropping you will feel so much better and your energy will rocket.
It's good to see you here. Post often and make lots of new friends. Good luck, be kind to yourself.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi Anne,

I think you made a great step in the right direction. These boards here are so nice, definitely the best and friendliest Low Carb support forum out there.

I look forward to getting to know you better!

xx Chloe.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
GOOD for your doctor for recognizing an eating plan the is healthy and gets wonderful results!

GREAT for you for recognizing dying a little bit at a time is a horrible way to live (and for choosing a doctor who seems to be very willing to work with you)!

Please do a lot of reading about LC eating/living. And please ask a lot of questions.

Hugs, you really can get to a place where you feel like you are living every day.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Welcome Anne! I've been a part of this website for many years. There are so many helpful, knowledable people here who can help you succeed. If you are committed to LC diet, you've found the right place
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
WHY WE GET FAT.... written by Gary Taubes. Please, please read it!!!

Last edited by clackley; 01-15-2014 at 07:38 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SmurfetteOnPaleo
Stats: 260/250/150
WOE: Paleo (with dairy)/gluten/sugar/wheat free
Start Date: 5/22/2003, restart 1/5/14
Anne!! You are definitely not alone. I found this board because I didn't know where to turn; you guys are the only ones who know my true weight lol!

One pound at a time. We're making healthy choices. It's not unlike any other addict who must quit smoking or another drug. Every day is a series of choices. Some days will be more successful than others, but you CAN do this!!
SmurfetteOnPaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Welcome! Glad you are here.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It's wonderful your doctor has recommended a low carb diet for you. If you stick with it you may find you don't need WLS in a year!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I was going to say the same thing. This is a must read to help you understand why you want to be on LC. If you stick with LC you may not even need surgery.

This is a great forum for support so please don't be afraid to post. I recommend you read and educate yourself as best you can on the Low Carb/Ketogenic way of eating (WOE) so that you can avoid surgery, lower your meds and live a healthy, happy life.
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GO4IT
WOE: Combination Low Carb/Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: Sept 5, 2013

I am more of a lurker here but started my LC journey in Sept of 2013.
Same situation as you with kids and having some medical issues finally staring me in the face forcing my hand to finally commit to some kind of program.

After starting the LC woe my body responded very well and I have lost about 45 pounds since beginning. I feel fantastic with a lot of energy and my health improved. That is my experience with the LC way of eating. I am sending you wishes for success and hoping this will work for you as well.

This forum is great for support if you need it, ideas to get you past those days you were not perfect ( me ), and when you need some questions answered.
GO4IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/295/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
Welcome Anne! I have been on and off (more off) low carb for many years, and have found that it has helped not only with weight loss but also my mental health. I feel so much better when I am consistent with low-moderate carbs. I have not been to the doctor lately, but am aware that I probably have some health issues going on. I have restarted once again - Day 4. I have not had diet pepsi or chocolate in those four days, which is really good for me. I passed the vending machine the last few days and had my money out, but kept thinking if I want to be around for my children (almost 13 and 8) and my husband, I really need to get my act together.

I look forward to tracking your success, and like others have said - you might find that surgery will not be necessary in 11 months.
Fonda
Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Anne! It's great that your Dr. recommended low carb. From what I understand, it would be similar to how'd you eat after surgery. If you educate yourself, and truly make this a lifestyle change I'd bet you, you won't need or want surgery.

Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis is another good one to read. You are not alone. You can do this! Be kind to yourself, this is a journey, not a race.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Welcome, Anne! I am glad you have decided to go low carb. If you are like most people you will soon see benefits above and beyond weight loss.

Quote:
I third this recommendation. It is a true eye-opener.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I think you will be very successful. I started, I think, a million times but it wasn't until I got to feeling like it sounds like you do that I started and continued. And I have no doubt that you will feel so much better about your life and yourself.

Btw, I think personal responsibility is all well and good, but you did not choose to do this to yourself. Nobody would ever do that. I agree that you need to read Why We Get Fat. It will make you feel a lot better about that aspect of things and give you a great understanding of why low carb works and how to do it.

Hugs and best of luck to you!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Hi Anne! Oh Sweetie, I feel your pain. I really really do. I can't even tell you how many things I missed out on while my kids were growing up because I was too embarrassed to participate, or sometimes to even leave the house. Or when I did go, I was always conscious of the fact that I was the fattest mom there. I hated it.

I'm definitely here to tell you that you CAN do this. You can. And we're all here with you for support. I can tell you that coming here for support makes all the difference. If I'm feeling like I want to cheat, or cave and eat something I shouldn't, I'll come here and read and post and read and post some more. It helps to keep your head in the game and keep you on track.

And, as has already been said, if you stick to the plan, and change your way of eating, in a year you won't need weight loss surgery. A year ago, I was 300 pounds, always in pain from carrying all that weight around, and unhappy. Now, 120 pounds later, I'm so much happier and pain free.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 256/240/168, 5'9", 27
Start Date: 8th December 2015
Lovely to 'meet' you Anne... so happy to hear that your Doctor has advised you well. You can so do this, of course it is important to be around for your family but right at the heart of it, you gotta do this for yourself. 30 pounds in a year is very achievable and you may even find that you do a whole lot better than that... maybe you won't even need the surgery. Either way, post often - there is so much love, advice and support here. Why We Get Fat is a good place to start and I never think it hurts to read the Atkins book. Very best of luck, you can do this.
16 pounds down
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
Start Date: December 22, 2013
Anne, I am so glad your doctor recommended low carb, and that you found these forums.

I am back on low carb, too, because I would die otherwise. The difference in my health the short time I have been back is phenomenal. The great thing is you should start to see big improvements in your health in a very short time.

I am so glad you are here! Welcome, and wishing you ALL the best!
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Anne welcome aboard. Great to hear that you have a doctor who believes in low carb dieting. That is awesome! You are very fortunate. This will work for you. I would argue with your doctor and your assumption that the "only way you can lose is with weight loss surgery". There are plenty of people on this forum who have lost 100 pounds or more without surgery. I think you can do it too. Get the Atkins book and just stick to the Induction List of Foods and you will lose. The first week is tough, but it goes by quickly. Once you break the sugar cycle, your cravings will go away. Trust in the diet.

This diet will also allow you to get off those meds. It did for me and many others here.

This is your solution! I look forward to watching you progress and get your life back. YOU CAN DO THIS!
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Welcome, Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by annec75 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Anne and I am a 38 year old married mom of 2 teens one with special needs, I am also severely overweight. I did not grow up overweight, this is all things that happened after I got married, I don't have any medical reason to be heavy, this is something that I chose to do to myself, I let this happen noone made me.

Like I said I am 38 years old, and my body is failing me all because of the bad choices I made, I am on 2 blood pressure meds, a fluid pill, anti-depressents, and 2 prescription meds for pain because of the weight that I pack around. I am basically dying little by little, and I don't want to die.

I want to be alive to take care of my family, I want to be able to get out there and do things without being in pain all the time, being made fun of. A couple of Halloween's ago my dads family had a get together at a local cabin,and all the kids dressed up and some of the adults did to and the kids trick or treated around the cabins, well it was dark outside with only a few outdoor lights burning one of my aunts had dressed up as a fat balorina and starting walking toward a group of men that my husband was in talking and one of my uncles said haa haa looking Anne dressed up as a balorina, when it was not me. This is no kind of life and I want to change it.

After talking with my dr, we have both decided that weight loss surgery is my only option, and with the insurance that I have makes it almost impossible for you to be able get the insurance company to pay for it. I have to be on a dr. supervised diet for a year. Well that is not the bad thing I have to loose 30 pounds on my own within a year. Now each month when I go to the dr, as long as I am losing or staying the same all is good, if I go 11 months and put on one pound I have to start back at the beginning for another year. My dr has to be the one to decide what diet I am to be on, and she has chosen low carbing for me. She said that is the best choice with the best chances of not regaining any weight as long as I stick to it. Also she has told me to cut out all pop regular and diet and that I think is the hardest thing for me, because I am very badly addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. But I can and will do this, I have to if I want to live.

Anne

You can do this; If I can, you can. You will succeed because NO ONE HERE will allow you to fail!! congrats on taking the first step.
I remarked to my BFF, "I wonder why, at times, do I keep getting up and taking a beating in this boxing ring of life??!" Her reply: "because that's what champions do!!"
NEVER give up. Weight loss surgery can help; but you STILL have to follow the SAME diet for life, as WLS is only a tool.....
Imagine: relatives who haven't seen you in 3-4 years, and they see you in a beautiful formal gown at a social event & wonder who the gorgeous woman is....they ask you if they have met you before, as you look vaguely familiar.....then you tell them "it's the new & improved version of mself" and watch their jaws drop. TRUST ME, that moment is worth ALL of the sacrifices you will encounter.
It's like peeling an onion, a lot of tears, frustration, AND victories. It will teach you patience, humility, and a realization that you are NOT alone. Look around you! Nearly all of us are overweight!! Do not allow saboteurs in your life....I had to let go of a 12 yr friendship because she couldn't handle my change....it is what it is.....a true friend has your best interests at heart. That's why you are HERE!!!!
Hugs to our new friend here at LCF. Check out netrition and the recipe board...it's great!!

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 01-16-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Welcome to lc. It works
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
It's wonderful your doctor has recommended a low carb diet for you. If you stick with it you may find you don't need WLS in a year!
Quote:
WHY WE GET FAT.... written by Gary Taubes.
Please, please read it!!!
Hi Anne. And welcome. Your post really touched me. Such honesty and hope.
And your hopes are not misplaced. Guess what? There are many on this site who started where you are, and have turned their life around. You won't feel alone here, and you will see that you can do it! It's SO POSSIBLE.

The posters I quoted here both say things I really believe. Yes, others here have done LC from your weight and lost what they needed too w/out WLS, although if that's what you need then let's get you there.

And yes, PLEASE read "Why we get Fat." It will educate and motivate you to stick w/low carb.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Anne,

I thought I'd check in and see how you were doing...

Come check in for an update, we are all rooting for you!

xxx Chloe.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Welcome!

Low-carb is the only thing that ever worked for me. The first few weeks were the hardest, but then it becomes a way of life.

I follow the 1992 version of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution. You can find it at most thrift stores for only a dollar or so. It's a great guideline and is inspiring and reassuring.

And as so many others have said, you must read Why We Get Fat.

Stick with this. It works.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kadoatie
Stats: 241.6 - 225.6 - 120
Quote:

Welcome Anne!! This forum has been so helpful to me over the years, and is filled with wonderful people with so much great advice and experience to share. You can do it!
kadoatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

How are things going for you, Anne?

Come check in and let us know!

xx
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Great introduction - and very heartfelt. Brought tears to my eyes. Welcome - this is a great group of folks, you sound fortunate to have a LC friendly doctor. I look forward to hearing about your journey.

sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:05 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I think you are being too hard on yourself. 300+ pounds is not something you just "do to yourself", it is a sign of a broken metabolism (perhaps exacerbated by stress or pregnancy)

However...the good news is that LC eating seems that it CAN help people cure (or manage) metabolic issues with their bodies.

You might check out the book The Diet Cure as a means of SUPPLEMENTING (not REPLACING) the LC plan. It recommends amino acid/vitamin/other supplements as a means of managing cravings or other issues associated with brain chemistry (including depression - you mention being on an anti-depressant - and addiction to artificial sweeteners/diet drinks) and explains how these things are associated with putting on excess weight. It might, at the very least, help you get extra energy, reduce food cravings, or get another perspective about what might have caused the upwards weight spiral.

Anyway, I hope LC works out for you...and who knows, it may work out so well that you decide not to have the weight loss surgery after all!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Anne, how are you doing?
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote