Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Accepting others choices

I've never really concerned myself with what others eat or don't eat. Sure I joke with my partner and judge ( in private!) our veggie and vegan friends diets and their health issues resulting from ha! But generally I am just polite and accepting and let everyone make their own way unless I'm asked

Yesterday I saw my aunt and cousin for the first time in ages. My aunt has been large small large small large small etc for my whole life. My cousin has always been within healthy limits until she had her kids, and a combination of hubby serving in the army and never home, depression, isolation and two beautiful but exceptionally high needs kids has seen her weight skyrocket. I love these two women more than my own mother ( seriously!) and it breaks my heart to see them suffering all the health problems both have ( they aren't just over weight and happy, they are both sick and suffering). they are the loveliest people, and I want them to be well! Their size as a concept is not an issue so much as their poor and deteriorating health.....but where to start? They found my NK diet appalling, eat fat and lose fat?!! No way! They were concerned about my lack of salads, fruit, vegetables ( I need to keep carbs very low in order to lose).

I so want to help them...but don't want to be 'that' person....I know when I was fatter, if someone sent me a whole heap of articles on low carbing and weight loss, I would have been insulted and felt sorely judged....I also KNOW that just like me, their issues around food and weight are largely emotional, so it's not just a matter of low carbing, there is a whole nother level of stuff they would need to work through.....

Do I just accept their decisions to go on as they are? Do I try and offer advice....( considering I'm not at goal, and have only been healthy since August last year!)???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Amber_Baby
Stats: 256/247/168, 5'9", 27
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8th December 2015
Do they take about their diets or wanting to lose weight? I think that would be the ideal time to give them some information about low carbing, more so than sending info out of the blue and uninvited. Have some headline facts to mind - the really important things like improving cholestrol, heart health, ketoadaptation/fat burning. As we all know, we cannot be made better by others, we have to want it for ourselves. I'm sure others will chime in with some good advice.
Amber_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
You let them make their own choices and don't "preach" to them.
As you stated:
Quote:
I know when I was fatter, if someone sent me a whole heap of articles on low carbing and weight loss, I would have been insulted and felt sorely judged.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks both my cousin does try every now and then..she does the mainstream 12w body challenges etc, but the advice around food they give is very poor my aunt, well I think she just goes about her life, doesn't talk much about her weight, just reappears sometimes and looks a lot slimmer...and then next time I see her she has regained all the weight plus some more
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
You let them make their own choices and don't "preach" to them.
X2
you said you would not be responsive to it. I doubt they would also.

BUT boy if they asked me anything, or start to chat about what to eat, how to do it for long term, and all that, I sure would jump in and help. THEN judging on their responses I would go further to help or back off

hard call for sure BUT even harder to watch people get sicker from their weight and menu. breaks your heart I am sure!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Tough call. I go thru the same concerns when it comes to sharing my "Faith" about life. It's a touchy subject. I used to push the door open because I cared a lot about my friends and family.

Now I wait for doors to open. But you can toss a bone out there too, see if anyone takes an interest. You know...use wisdom. Show them love and acceptance even when they are at odds with your beliefs about diets.

Hope this helps
GoBahnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I choose not to proselytize about anything.

I live my life as I think is best, treat people well, eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, I feed my dog a whole prey model raw diet, I'm an atheist, a feminist, and much more. People who see me living my life may have questions about certain aspects, and I'm happy to talk about my choices if they seem genuinely interested. If they don't ask, I don't preach. And I certainly don't debate. My choices are my choices, and I'm comfortable with them, but I also respect other people's right to make their own choices. Even if I think they're wrong. I have some close family members whom I would love to see at least cut back on the carbs for health reasons, but they're adults, they're not uninformed, and they have chosen not to. I keep my mouth ZIPPED!

Ask, though, and I'll give as much information as you want. I'll give you basics, or I'll point you to studies, websites, essays, the whole nine yards, if you like. I'm a researcher, and I like information. I also like teaching (informally), and I'm pretty good at breaking things down into understandable parts, so I will help whenever I'm asked.

But I wait to be asked.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
I admit that I've brought up the subject of LC (unsolicited) with people but never in the context of weight loss. I've told people I'm concerned about that after dropping sugar and grains from my diet I've never felt better - improved mood, extra energy, mental acuity, etc. That seems to be a safe area because everybody is interested in feeling great. Sometimes they'll steer the conversation to weight loss on their own. Sometimes not.
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thankyou all so much. I will just sit and wait and love them all a bunch and not interfere. And maybe have a file on my PC ready to go of info lol
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lavender
Stats: 155 lbs/125 lbs/125 lbs (5'8") Age: 46
WOE: Very Low Carb (30-40 net carb grams/day)
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

I live my life as I think is best, treat people well, eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, I feed my dog a whole prey model raw diet, I'm an atheist, a feminist, and much more. People who see me living my life may have questions about certain aspects, and I'm happy to talk about my choices if they seem genuinely interested. If they don't ask, I don't preach. And I certainly don't debate. My choices are my choices, and I'm comfortable with them, but I also respect other people's right to make their own choices. Even if I think they're wrong. I have some close family members whom I would love to see at least cut back on the carbs for health reasons, but they're adults, they're not uninformed, and they have chosen not to. I keep my mouth ZIPPED!

Ask, though, and I'll give as much information as you want. I'll give you basics, or I'll point you to studies, websites, essays, the whole nine yards, if you like. I'm a researcher, and I like information. I also like teaching (informally), and I'm pretty good at breaking things down into understandable parts, so I will help whenever I'm asked.

But I wait to be asked.

Love this! But I agree that it can be hard not to want to share a WOE you know would be beneficial to people you love and care about.

Ntombi, you and I are very much alike, except I've got a cat instead of a dog
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I love the quote from Epiticus:

Eat as becomes you and be silent

I limit my information (when asked or if it's in context to a discussion): "I'm finally cutting out the extra carbs again - remember how good I used to look?".

Now if there was only a low carb book that was as informative and easy to read as Michael Pollen. And, no, not Gary Taubes (I'm still struggling with GCBC).
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
To each their own. What works for one doesn't always work for everyone.

a colleague of mine.... she whispered her age to me (72)...she looks and feels amazing, she's an amazing person....I asked her what her secret was.... She said, not sarcastically either,.... sugar.

So, whatever she's doing...is working for her.

I just laughed inside, b/c that would never work out for me! LOL
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post

Now if there was only a low carb book that was as informative and easy to read as Michael Pollen. And, no, not Gary Taubes (I'm still struggling with GCBC).
Why We Get Fat. Yes, it's by Gary Taubes, but it's completely different from GCBC, much easier to read.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Emily - thanks, I'll get it. I wasn't knocking Gary Taubes - he's brilliant, great writer, but GCBC isn't the type of book to "loan" to the average person just getting their feet wet on the topic.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
To each their own. What works for one doesn't always work for everyone.

a colleague of mine.... she whispered her age to me (72)...she looks and feels amazing, she's an amazing person....I asked her what her secret was.... She said, not sarcastically either,.... sugar.

So, whatever she's doing...is working for her.

I just laughed inside, b/c that would never work out for me! LOL
My grandmother is 87 and she eats so much sugar, and very little "real" food. She's slim (she wasn't always, she used to be very heavy in her 40s and 50s) and active and her blood tests are always good.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

But I wait to be asked.
Quoting myself, because someone I know just approached me out of the blue to ask about information on starting a low carb diet. We have never specifically talked about it, but she knows that I eat this way, and that I've been successful. It's nice, because then you know they're really interested.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: danielsgirl
Stats: 292/240/???
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2013
may I suggest - if you have had a health issue that your LC eating has helped you with (headaches, IBS, blood sugar, anything) - maybe the next time your family states they are having the same issue you can say something like "I have been so blessed to not suffer from XYZ anymore since I gave up sugar / bad carbs" maybe if they see it from a health point they will try it. (?)
danielsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote