Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   The conversation at Starbucks this morning.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/820598-conversation-starbucks-morning.html)

SmurfetteOnPaleo 01-09-2014 10:37 AM

The conversation at Starbucks this morning....

Me: Hi, I'd like a grande decaf sugar free cinnamon dolce latte, no whip.
Starbucks girl: a grande decaf skinny cinnamon dolce latte?
Me: No. Sugar free, but made with cream, not skim
Girl: Uhhhh, ok...But that will add more calories, just so you know.
Me: I'm aware of that. I'm avoiding sugar carbs, not calories.

:stars:

cnbrad2000 01-09-2014 10:43 AM

LOL! I love it! I can see how that would blow some peoples' minds!

snowangel9 01-09-2014 11:12 AM

Yea, Smurfette, just in case you didn't know. Kinda rude. I love your response though!

Stacy O 01-09-2014 11:17 AM

...and really - what would be the difference if you ordered plain coffee with cream?

SmurfetteOnPaleo 01-09-2014 11:19 AM

LOL I guess I confused her by saying "sugar free". But really, lots of people drink coffee with cream and Splenda so I don't understand what the confusion was! Just cracked me up

Trigger828 01-09-2014 12:23 PM

that is funny :)

KCSoccer 01-09-2014 01:08 PM

When I go to Starbucks I usually order a double shot of espresso over ice (in a tall cup) topped off with heavy whipping cream. I usually have to explain it two or three times before they get it, and occasionally they still give me sweetened whipped cream. Oh well, I guess I'm very much in the minority! :)

At our local coffee chain in Kansas City (LatteLand) once when I ordered an iced Breve with heavy whipping cream, the barista got really excited and started going on about the benefits of FAT. Turns out she's a low carber, too. I didn't have to explain a thing! Wish LatteLand was closer to home.

Janknitz 01-09-2014 01:09 PM

I always feel ridiculous when I order it--first because it's a long complex order (I have it written down!), and secondly because they must think I'm crazy to order a "skinny" cinnamon dolce latte with heavy cream.

Here's how I order it:
Grande
Decaf
Skinny cinnamon dolce latte
With heavy whipping cream
(No, not whipped cream, whipping cream in it!).

;)

pulchritudinous_j 01-09-2014 03:20 PM

:hyst: A less tactful, sweet you would've said "Thanks for the tip, Captain Obvious!"

DiamondDeb 01-09-2014 04:16 PM

It is so much easier for them to understand my orders now; no sugars, no artificial sweeteners, no dairy. :laugh: No nothing added!

cfine 01-09-2014 05:13 PM

I used to order a skinny vanilla latte w/HWC. It costs me almost $5. Someone told me to order it differently and it would be cheaper. So now I order am Americano w/SF vanilla syrup and HWC. Same exact thing but only cost me $3. Go figure!

lowcarbella 01-09-2014 05:59 PM

I had no idea they would give you unsweetened HWC in a fancy drink!!!
All this while I drank only plain coffee with half and half and splenda.

SmurfetteOnPaleo 01-10-2014 06:53 AM

Nooooo! They have HWC (which is what to use to make their sweetened whipped cream). I often will ask for an Americano with cream and whatever SF syrup I want. They're usually very happy to oblige! Guess I just got a new girl!

lterry913 01-10-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16750150)
I used to order a skinny vanilla latte w/HWC. It costs me almost $5. Someone told me to order it differently and it would be cheaper. So now I order am Americano w/SF vanilla syrup and HWC. Same exact thing but only cost me $3. Go figure!

Yep this is exactly what I do...and you get more shots of espresso this way as an americano has more shots per cup tha a latte...they know me there now and just steam my water and cream together so it tastes like a latte anyway...they get a better tip that way too :)

Kittycatmom 01-10-2014 02:57 PM

They have heavy cream in the fridge under the counter. I request it with my grande tea, and they give it to me in a little cup.

GME 01-10-2014 04:20 PM

I went once and asked for cream in something. This is how it went.....

Me: I would like blah, blah with cream
SB: Nonfat?
Me: No, cream
SB: Whole milk?
Me: Do you have cream?
SB: Yes
Me: I'd like cream

dawnyama 01-10-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittycatmom (Post 16751542)
They have heavy cream in the fridge under the counter. I request it with my grande tea, and they give it to me in a little cup.

Yup that is where we keep it. But I give it the container to the customer or put it directly in their drink. We have quite a few customers who request "breve", which is half and half, and then some specifically state "heavy whipping cream". We get the difference at our kiosk ;) but it would be difficult for a non-low carber to understand WHY we would want the calories :laugh: but not so much the diabetics. I have to explain sometimes when I order things that we look at carbs and not calories for my type 1 diabetic daughter. I hate that people only think all we care about calories.

dawnyama 01-10-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmurfetteOnPaleo (Post 16749506)
Me: Hi, I'd like a grande decaf sugar free cinnamon dolce latte, no whip.
Starbucks girl: a grande decaf skinny cinnamon dolce latte?
Me: No. Sugar free, but made with cream, not skim
Girl: Uhhhh, ok...But that will add more calories, just so you know.
Me: I'm aware of that. I'm avoiding sugar carbs, not calories.

:stars:

I am glad you know what you want. So many people aren't that way and then get mad at us baristas :rolleyes:

dawnyama 01-10-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16751658)

That is just too funny :hyst::hyst::hyst:

shoo 01-11-2014 06:54 AM

At home I drink my coffee black, but I order one at Starbucks that is like a meal for me.

Grande sugar free cinnamon dolce, breve, light foam,Americano misto. Yum:yummy:

Psmileyf 01-12-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16751658)

That is basically the conversation I have with one guy at Starbucks every time he is working.
I don't go there often and now when I see him working, I just do my shopping without a coffee because he annoys me so much! (Not always...some days I deal with it so that I can get coffee)

dawnyama 01-12-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psmileyf (Post 16753963)
That is basically the conversation I have with one guy at Starbucks every time he is working.
I don't go there often and now when I see him working, I just do my shopping without a coffee because he annoys me so much! (Not always...some days I deal with it so that I can get coffee)

If you do it every single time you go in, he should have gotten it by now :rolleyes: With my regulars, I know what they want and how they want it. It may take a few try's to remember/get it right, but at least I try. And they do just that--roll their eyes til I get it right LOL.

Psmileyf 01-12-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 16754056)
If you do it every single time you go in, he should have gotten it by now :rolleyes: With my regulars, I know what they want and how they want it. It may take a few try's to remember/get it right, but at least I try. And they do just that--roll their eyes til I get it right LOL.

You would think so. I only go about once a week and then he is not there every time, but he has waited on me at least 5 times in the 2-3 months he has been there.

dawnyama 01-12-2014 03:41 PM

I forgot to say that I only work once a week at my Starbucks. So very part time. And I still know some of the regulars drinks! He will get better, at least he should ;)

GME 01-12-2014 08:40 PM

I went to the coffee shopette in Whole Foods today and got a latte made with coconut milk (I love cream but it is not loving me back lately). :yummy:

Janknitz 01-13-2014 08:21 AM

Oh, I wish Starbucks would get on board with coconut milk. I'm coming to the sad conclusion that dairy and I can no longer be friends. Yesterday I had an Americano with heavy cream and I felt terrible for hours.

I have always been a dairy drinker. Until I began low carb I drank milk twice daily. I knew it wasn't doing me good, but now I'm getting GI distress (heartburn and pressure) every time I have dairy. Boo hoo!

SmurfetteOnPaleo 01-13-2014 09:27 AM

I have to say....I went there yesterday and the Barista was really nice and was in a creative mood. She made me the BEST latte ever! She used cream and SF Peppermint and Mocha. Divine.

MandyMarie 01-14-2014 08:31 AM

I have a feeling Starbucks screwed my coffee up the other day. I'll stick to sugar free creamers from the store. I loved the sugar free peppermint mocha and caramel mochiatto!

dasiey 01-14-2014 12:28 PM

I just stick to making my own coffee. So I know it's right

rotay60 01-15-2014 01:52 PM

Just to let you all know, I went to Starbucks, ordered the americano decaf, sf vanilla, hwc. No problems and it was delicious. Thanks