Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: baseballmom
Stats: 176/162.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 12/06/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I forgot to say that I only work once a week at my Starbucks. So very part time. And I still know some of the regulars drinks! He will get better, at least he should
I am one of those people that had only gone to Starbucks a handful of times cause i don't know how to order!!!! maybe you could tell me some drinks. Low carb of course and i like them sweet and decaf pretty please
baseballmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Baseball mom, check my post before yours. It was good and sweet, as a matter of fact, I will probably ask them to use one less pump of sf vanilla next time.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SmurfetteOnPaleo
Stats: 260/250/150
WOE: Paleo (with dairy)/gluten/sugar/wheat free
Start Date: 5/22/2003, restart 1/5/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmom View Post
I am one of those people that had only gone to Starbucks a handful of times cause i don't know how to order!!!! maybe you could tell me some drinks. Low carb of course and i like them sweet and decaf pretty please
I have a friend who worked there who told me to start with the temp, flavors, then size of the drink, then the name, then any amendments you want to make...

So, one of my favorites is an iced grande sugar free vanilla decaf latte no whip, breve. Or, you can just tell them what you want (I want something yummy but I need you to make it sugar free and with cream not skim). Unless it's completely super busy in there, most baristas are happy to concoct something to your tastes!
SmurfetteOnPaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfetteOnPaleo View Post
I have a friend who worked there who told me to start with the temp, flavors, then size of the drink, then the name, then any amendments you want to make...

So, one of my favorites is an iced grande sugar free vanilla decaf latte no whip, breve. Or, you can just tell them what you want (I want something yummy but I need you to make it sugar free and with cream not skim). Unless it's completely super busy in there, most baristas are happy to concoct something to your tastes!

That is us We are generally not busy at all. We can make any drink the way you want, or if you want us to "create" something we can do that too. One of my co-workers loves to make the "salted caramel mocha" with the white mocha instead of the dark mocha because it tastes like a chocolate covered pretzel. We had someone come in on Sunday who said "I want that starburst frappuccino" and we did it! The next girl wanted a "Twix frappuccino". And we did! Those drinks are on a "hidden menu" of Starbucks and can be found on google. Thank goodness my fellow barista has a smartphone and can look these up quick. I cannot, so if I am alone.....it would have been a no-go. But fortunately I am not usually alone during my one shift a week.

And a big thumbs up for whomever told you to order the temp first (hot vs cold) because we need to mark the cup and if you say a grande mocha iced, we pull out the hot cup first and then make the mark on the wrong cup Or we make the wrong drink altogether because the person receiving it says "Oh, I meant the cold one"
Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Ugh, I feel so dumb, but this is why I have never been to Starbucks. And ask anyone, I love coffee. It's probably my favorite thing in the world since low carbing. I drink it all day.

I want to go to Starbucks so so bad but damn I don't want my first time to be this huge debacle because I'm so "picky" lol.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
so tell me, how do I order those pumpkin lattes with hwc?
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
so tell me, how do I order those pumpkin lattes with hwc?
You have to simply ask and then repeat your order til they get it right They have cream and make sure they use it and not half and half. This is how you say it:

"I want a pumpkin spice latte with heavy cream, please"

and just repeat it til they get it right. They may think you mean/want breve but that is with half and half not cream. I even have customers that request I show them the container I am using for their latte. Or if *I* have a question about the drink I ask them, while showing them the carton of cream.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: baseballmom
Stats: 176/162.0/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 12/06/13
Thanks for all the ordering tips!!!!!
baseballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #39

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Today I ordered 4 coffees at Starbucks. I was buying for my team. This is the first time I've encountered a moody barista at a Starbucks. She was pretty rude. She was impatient with me. But, my Venti coffee with 3 pumps of sf vanilla and 3 pumps of sf hazelnut and heavy cream was perfect.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #40

Quote:

We have a variety of sugar free syrups. I have customers ask me "what flavors do you have that are sugar free" and I tell them. I cannot list them all now, as they are not in front of me but we do have vanilla, caramel, hazelnut things like that are sugar free. We also have mocha sauce that is sugar free as well as peppermint. So you can have a sugar free mocha, or peppermint mocha. The whipped cream is flavored with regular vanilla syrup, but it is such a small amount that you get on top of your latte that there is no need to go without. It is my favorite part of the drink! I eat a lot of that too Never messes with my diet. So, you have to figure out which flavor you want, and of course all our lattes come in decaf, so no issues there. And then to finish it all, you have to ask it be made with heavy cream.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #41

Quote:
You have to simply ask and then repeat your order til they get it right They have cream and make sure they use it and not half and half. This is how you say it:

and just repeat it til they get it right. They may think you mean/want breve but that is with half and half not cream. I even have customers that request I show them the container I am using for their latte. Or if *I* have a question about the drink I ask them, while showing them the carton of cream.
One of my co-workers went to another Starbucks to order a sugar free mocha. There was one guy behind the counter. Luckily she knew what it took to make the drink right. She saw him make the drink with regular mocha. She asked when she was handed the drink "is this sugar free?" He said "No." She said "I wanted sugar free mocha." He then told her it would take 8 minutes for him to make the mocha sauce, sugar free. She told him she would wait There were 8 employees in the store and not one helped him make the mocha, even though he had customers out the wazoo and clearly needed help. Even the manager wouldn't help But she got her drink She is diabetic and cannot do the sugary drinks.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Man I want to go to Starbucks so bad now.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
A word of warning about the sugar free creamers. My husband is a T2 diabetic and he started buying them (I eat LC primal, so the artificial ingredients make it something I wouldn't use). One day I was curious and I read the label. In the trash it went. They all contain corn syrup or corn syrup solids as one of the major ingredients. I think it's totally false advertising to say it's sugar free, but to use those ingredients. Additionally, some of them contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil, which are trans-fats.

Now we stick to HWC. We still flavors our coffee, but he uses Toriani or Da Vinci SF syrups. I use Sweetleaf stevia drops.

Last edited by flappa1016; 01-18-2014 at 04:10 PM..
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
A word of warning about the sugar free creamers. My husband is a T2 diabetic and he started buying them (I eat LC primal, so the artificial ingredients make it something I wouldn't use). One day I was curious and I read the label. In the trash it went. They all contain corn syrup or corn syrup solids as one of the major ingredients. I think it's totally false advertising to say it's sugar free, but to use those ingredients. Additionally, some of them contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil, which are trans-fats.

Now we stick to HWC. We still flavors our coffee, but he uses Toriani or Da Vinci SF syrups. I use Sweetleaf stevia drops.
We don't use sugar free creamers at Starbucks
Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
LOL...people have such a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that "sugar is bad, fats are good". Even after a year on Bernstein's and getting down to 140 pounds while eating cream cheese, butter, bacon, etc., my family still doesn't get it. We went out to dinner the other day and I had filet mignon with herbed butter, mushrooms and onion, with a side of grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon...which I thought was very healthy. My aunt and cousin (both recently diagnosed as diabetics and on the ADA plan) were horrified.

They kept going on and on about the fat on my plate...while they were sitting there with a bare naked baked potato (yuck), dried out grilled chicken breast and a salad with low fat dressing (but, of course, lots of carbs). They know Bernstein's works because I've been on it for over a year, but they still choose to believe that they must have carbs to live and fat is bad.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Most places do not carry sugar free creamers. I've had waitresses tell me they are, but when I look them up on the web, they aren't. Now it's just habit to ask for the little half and half packets containers. If they try to give me a little pot of 'cream', I refuse that as well because I found out it's not usually real half and half, but a creamer they mix up in the back...which usually contains sugar.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #47
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
LOL...people have such a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that "sugar is bad, fats are good". Even after a year on Bernstein's and getting down to 140 pounds while eating cream cheese, butter, bacon, etc., my family still doesn't get it. We went out to dinner the other day and I had filet mignon with herbed butter, mushrooms and onion, with a side of grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon...which I thought was very healthy. My aunt and cousin (both recently diagnosed as diabetics and on the ADA plan) were horrified.

They kept going on and on about the fat on my plate...while they were sitting there with a bare naked baked potato (yuck), dried out grilled chicken breast and a salad with low fat dressing (but, of course, lots of carbs). They know Bernstein's works because I've been on it for over a year, but they still choose to believe that they must have carbs to live and fat is bad.
My family does not get it either.

My mother just keeps saying she doesn't know what I can eat. This has gone on for over a year. She fixed me a meal she was sure I could eat for my birthday & I skipped most of it because I do not want to eat those things. All her dressings were loaded with unhealthy ingredients. The soup contained beans. She thinks her cereal w/low fat milk for breakfast is healthy & that my bacon & eggs breakfast is going to kill me. This despite the fact that, eating this way, I have lost over 100lbs and keep getting healthier and more active.

My brother & SIL eat low fat & I find that shocking. They are very much into healthy living and actually followed a LC plan (Atkins) years ago. I remember a discussion w/SIL about healthy fats and about carbs. But SIL does not allow DB to eat bacon or anything similar at home. She does seem to understand my choices, though. Last time they visited, I said, "No thanks." to fruit & she asked if it was because of the sugar.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-19-2014 at 10:22 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfetteOnPaleo View Post
Me: Hi, I'd like a grande decaf sugar free cinnamon dolce latte, no whip.
Starbucks girl: a grande decaf skinny cinnamon dolce latte?
Me: No. Sugar free, but made with cream, not skim
Girl: Uhhhh, ok...But that will add more calories, just so you know.
Me: I'm aware of that. I'm avoiding sugar carbs, not calories.

Me: Hi I would like some BPC?
Starbucks girl: Excuse me?
Me: Bullet Proof Coffee
Girl: (Gets manager}
Manager: May I help you?
Me: I would like an egg in my coffee
Manager: We serve croissants with eggs, would you like one?
Me: Put the croissant in the blender, without the bread and blend it up with some coffee.
Manager: Calls the police...
GoBahnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
Me: Put the croissant in the blender, without the bread and blend it up with some coffee.
??? Bulletproof coffee is made with butter, not egg.
allisonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
Is there a way of ordering a sugar free chai latte or is it made from syrup?
allisonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonm View Post
??? Bulletproof coffee is made with butter, not egg.
GoBahnsen stands corrected by an observant LCF member. GB is one of the few who makes his BPC with an egg too.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonm View Post
Is there a way of ordering a sugar free chai latte or is it made from syrup?
Nope. The syrup doesn't come in sugar free.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #53
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post

I was just thinking how great it would be if SB offered BPC! I'll take Dave's original recipe though. MCT oil & grassfed butter or ghee.

Gotta have dreams...
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

I was just thinking how great it would be if SB offered BPC! I'll take Dave's original recipe though. MCT oil & grassfed butter or ghee.

Gotta have dreams...
Hi ya Deb thanks for the laugh. We gotta laugh a little more when we are trying to lose weight. It helps
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
LOL...people have such a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that "sugar is bad, fats are good" ...I had filet mignon with herbed butter, mushrooms and onion, with a side of grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon...which I thought was very healthy
It is and sounds delicious. I used to get bent out of shape over, What will I eat at a restaurant? It's pretty much the same but without obsessing over the bread and, of course, not choosing a potato. Now I actually enjoy my salad and protein so much more. I figure I've had enough bread.
Quote:
They kept going on and on about the fat on my plate...while they were sitting there with a bare naked baked potato (yuck), dried out grilled chicken breast and a salad with low fat dressing (but, of course, lots of carbs). They know Bernstein's works because I've been on it for over a year, but they still choose to believe that they must have carbs to live and fat is bad
If people would only stop and think logically. There are so many low fat alternatives to things and, YES, people are eating them ... and still not losing weight. You have to be so careful when you're eating full fat to NOT be served something low fat so, logically, people are not UNKNOWINGLY eating full fat. IOW, it's not the clean eating fat that's making them fat. There are a lot of people who have no critical thinking skills.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 01-19-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/184/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post

If people would only stop and think logically. There are so many low fat alternatives to things and, YES, people are eating them ... and still not losing weight. You have to be so careful when you're eating full fat to NOT be served something low fat so, logically, people are not UNKNOWINGLY eating full fat. IOW, it's not the clean eating fat that's making them fat. There are a lot of people who have no critical thinking skills.
But...wasn't that most of us for a good part of our lives? It was for me. It was not that I lacked critical thinking skills or that I didn't think logically. I was just uninformed about this way of eating.

Back to coffee - I looked at SF chocolate syrup at a coffee shop and it has so many carbs in it. It made me sad.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmileyf View Post
But...wasn't that most of us for a good part of our lives? It was for me. It was not that I lacked critical thinking skills or that I didn't think logically. I was just uninformed about this way of eating
Yeah, it was. But I never knew about the effects of carbs. Once I read and learned, it made so much sense. And I didn't go through a period of ridding myself of the low fat spectre. Frankly, I knew that "fat makes you fat" never made sense to me but I never knew why till I learned about and paid attention to insulin response.

I think when my husband would get me coffee (I'm pretty simple, I just get iced latte), what he usually came home with is probably skim milk because that seemed to be the go to. I would forget to remind him and it didn't occur to him to insist on cream (but the place close to us closed so this doesn't happen anymore). Restaurants rarely bat an eye at me anymore when I tell them no bun, but some coffee shops really only seem to be used to people wanting skim milk and ask, Are you sure?, when I say cream. I don't think the great majority will ever be disabused of the notion of all fat as evil.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

GoBahnsen walks into a coffee bar and orders a drink

Girl: will that be all sir?

GB: Well yes...and no...have you ever heard of Low Carb Friends?

Girl: No, what is that?

GB: It's this great discussion board that helps people lose weight and you know...make friends, and stuff

Girl: Are you implying I need to lose weight and get some friends?

GB: Gee, ummm no...I was just....

Girl: Gets manager....
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Now I want to go into a coffee bar and ask for a coffee with heavy cream and butter...just to see the eyebrows raise.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to teach me.I just now remembered that the last time I ordered this sugar free,the barista told me it (pumpkin spice)doesn't come sugar free.

I have always shied away from most drinks due to not knowing how to order.This thread has helped a lot.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote