LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzee
Stats: 214/214/165
WOE: Atkins 30-40 carbs per day
Start Date: Restart January 2014
My name is Sue & I'm just tired...

Hi. I've posted here awhile back. My Mom moved to an assisted living facility a year ago, in another state, so I go back and forth to visit her every other month or so. She is frail and has mid-range dementia.

While I'm there, I try to eat right, but end up eating what she eats, because the doctors want her to gain weight, and she'll stick with salmon and greens unless someone eats what she is supposed to eat. Then she'll eat that way.

I get home and I'm so frustrated and tired and just make whatever comes to hand and is fast. Hubby eats junk food and bread products all the time.

I just got back from a highly stressful visit with mom and other folks. I'm tired and discouraged and ready to get back into induction and go for it. Are there just a few simple meals for 2 or 3 days that I can interchange? Keep carbs around 30-40? Please? Just simple ingredients...I don't care. I'm done with being overweight and carb-infused.

Thank you.
Suzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Hi, Sue! I hear ya girl. I'm dealing with those issues as well. My Mom has mid-range dementia as well, and fell Dec. 5th and I just got back from San Antonio (2.5 hrs away) after a very stressful week (and ended up with shingles for my second time in just 2 months) getting her into a nursing home rehab program. The day after I got home, my husband was back in the ER for the 2nd time in 2 months for A-Fib and shortness of breath. Cortisol is NOT our friend, so we must try to cope with stress as best we can. Walking and exercise can really help with stress and high cortisol (which prevents weight loss).

Like you, I tend to eat the best I can when at Mom's, but she no longer uses her kitchen and insists we eat 3 meals a day in the facility dining room or OUT! Sigh! Luckily, I don't usually gain down much there, a pound or two, and I get them right off once I get back home and start cooking my own food. But it is so frustrating and I feel your "pain" on the unending demands when caring for a parent with dementia.

Over the last year of the back-and-forth stress and not-so-good eating while there, I've put on 6#. I, too, am restarting Induction in hopes of getting back to my 170 and on down to my goal of 150.

Hang in there. Do your best when visiting your Mom. Try not to let the stress get the better of you. Eat as well as you can and don't beat yourself up so much. Life does get in the way.

Last edited by buttoni; 01-03-2014 at 09:12 PM..
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
I'm so sorry. I think the ladies in here will give ya some good ideas.
GoBahnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Would JUDDD be a better fit for you? I've had success on it in the past, and it may be better for you at this time because it isn't strictly low carb.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
I'm sorry that life is so hard right now. Hang in there.

Crock pot meats are easy to fix and last several meals. A roast or chicken can be added to salad at one meal. The same meat can be served with broccoli or another vegetable. Then take the scraps and chop them up and add them to eggs for an omelet meal.

Hard boiled eggs make an easy, quick meal.

I usually have some frozen hot wings on hand so I can just throw them in the oven when I feel lazy.

I also keep tins of smoked kippers (if you like fish). Add some cream cheese and you have a meal.

Dealing with a health issue that you know isn't going to improve is draining and depressing. Do the little things that help you feel better. Take a walk, read a book, work on a puzzle anything that will ease the stress. Hugs.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
That does sound very stressful and tiring. I have been in situations where being over tired can ruin ones outlook and daily living.

I would keep it super simple. Meat and veg. Think back on your low carb meals. Which ones were your favorites? Think about the meals that were easiest to cook, could freeze to grab quickly if needed so you don't have to cook from scratch when tired.

When I got into lc I had alot of meals I loved, but then kinda got away from them. I put them back into my meal plan and it became easier again. I don't know why I found some great lc meals that were easy and fast to make, yet I kinda walked away from them.

One of my easiest meals is I sautee tons of chicken at a time. Put it in the fridge and it can be grabbed for a million meals. Alfredo chicken with broccoli. YUM chicken with cheese and mushrooms and bacon bits. Chicken on salads. Cook extra bacon and keep in fridge. Great for a taste addition to any meal you prepare. cook extra hamburger patties and grab as needed.

Your stats are mine right now being the new year I am also getting back into simple basic lc meals. the ones I used to get into the lc way of eating and kinda starting basic and simple again to get me into gear and losing.

I hope your Mom is doing well and be sure to relax and take care of yourself best you can.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Sorry Sue
You can make tuna salad up and keep it ready (tuna, drained then add chopped onion, celery, mustard and mayo. We add hard boiled egg and dill relish as well here in the South a lot of times).
Prep your veggies when you have time. Trim romaine or leaf lettuce and wrap the leaves in a paper towel then pop into a large zipper bag, will last a week that way. Same with celery. Chop 1 onion and store it, slice another so you can just grab as much as you need when you cook.
I dice zucchini and keep it in a baggie with a paper towel to absorb moisture, so I can saute it quickly and add eggs and cheese for a quick meal.
Cook a couple of pounds of ground beef so you can pull out what you need, add whatever spices and things and it's ready (taco salad, chili, etc).
Most of these will make your cooking time 15 minutes or less, so it really helps simplify things but still gets you a "home cooked" meal.

Remember: your mom is getting good care, so you need to care for yourself right now.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am sorry to hear that you and your Mom are suffering this. It is really hard.

I like Dottie ideas. I would add to those suggestions, a big pot of soup.

Chicken stock (broth) and through in whatever low carb veg and a bunch of Italian sausage broken into pieces. Sprinkle with Parmesan when ready to serve.

I also keep frozen raw shrimp and scallops as they defrost quickly and cook even more quickly. They can be very versatile but just a jarred pasta sauce used sparingly can make a quick and satisfying meal.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
I just want to give you a hug. (((SUE)))

I am still trying to figure it all out myself. I know that you will get some fabulous advice here. I will be hanging around myself to soak it all in.
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: franciejones
Stats: 241/215.6/150 5'5"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12-26-2013 LAST START
Loads of water.
Ditch fake sugars
Bacon. More bacon
Bacon and avocado
Hard salami is easy in a pinch.
Coconut oil in your coffee
water
did I mention water?
String cheese
Jalapeno poppers have excellent ratios and are delish...
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I understand what you are going through. When I first started low carb, my mom's cancer came back with a vengance. She kept her mind for the most part, but she was angry and bitter. I knew it wasn't really her. Her muscles were really weak. She couldn't walk, sit up on her own, open things on her own etc. She couldn't be left alone. My dad was her caregiver, but I traveled home every weekend to help out.

I knew the low carb thing would just upset her, so I did a lot of pushing food around on my plate and eating the best I could. It was a really stressful time. Then when she passed, I was very depressed and didn't really care about my diet or anything.

I like the suggestions of having meat and veggies already prepped. Another idea would be to make up some casseroles in advance (love Linda Sue's site) and freeze them into individual portions. They freeze really well usually. You can just have a few made up and pull one out as needed.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
suzee, for time and money, I think the crock pot is the way to go.
It cooks overnight or while you are out during the day. Toss in some chicken thighs, or cheaper cuts of beef or pork, add water or broth, a bit of seasoning, and whatever leftover lowcarb veggies you have in the frig or freezer. I sometimes stir in some HWC, sour cream, or coconut milk at the end of cooking, but that is not even necessary. Not fancy, but easy and always satisfying to my taste. Freeze the excess that you won't eat right away and you have soups on the ready.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Wow! Thank you all so much! Fantastic ideas. I like the "cook and freeze" and "crockpot" ideas. The celery, salami & things like that for quick munchies is good too. Thank you very very much. LOADS of information.

What is JUDDD?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
JUDDD is Dr. Johnsons Up Down Diet
there is a whole section on the board for it. One day you eat very low calorie and the next day you eat alot higher and whatever you want. Alot of people can lc with this also. basically you are losing weight by cutting calories. Dr. Johnson has a website to plug in your stats and it tells you what amts to eat. The people on the JUDDD board are fabulous and help anyone who jumps on and asks about JUDDD.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Lots of good food ideas/advice.....just wanted to send a few for what you're going through with your Mom....

My Mom is in home hospice care now with late stage dementia and I know how hard it is to deal with all the various issues that come with dementia in all of it's stages....take time regularly to do something kind for yourself or you will be burned out in no time. I'm sorry you're going through this.
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Well, finally through all commitments and a couple of long distance "Mom" crises. I am starting the crockpot this evening, and planning simple meals throughout the week. Thank you!