Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I am back again! Scared and would love any advice (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/820002-i-am-back-again-scared-would-love-any-advice.html)

niciK 01-01-2014 03:17 PM

I am back again! Scared and would love any advice

Hi everyone. Long read ahead. TIA
I am back on Keto/ Atkins/VLC.
I lost 50 pounds in 2012 and start of 2013. After last summer , I lost and gained the same 10 pounds 20 times, then gained 25 more sadly. 2013 has not been the best year for me. I did weight watchers with some success, then I got crazy with food. I started to live to eat again. This is a very scary place and depression and anxiety came back.

I lowered my anti anxiety medication and food took it's place. All I wanted to do was hide and eat and stay inside.
I decided to do keto again to regain some control over my insane cravings. I was craving carbs and sugars and full fat like crazy. The combo of all 3 is deadly to me. Nothing was motivating me to stay on my plan of low calorie. So I gave in to the cravings and ate and ate. These foods medicated me, my serotonin was so low and they temp picked it back up. I am back on a higher dose of medication, so that is helping .

I decided to do a keto diet to shed some quick weight, get cravings under control and hope it helps my moods as well.

I did well last time, but I know I over did fat and portions and that is why I did not lose. I really over ate and my calories were way too high to lose. I blamed the plan and not me. I wanted to still gorge and thought I would lose.
I know the meaning of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect different results, so I need some advice to not fallow same patterns and before.

I started today 1/1/2014. I am about to get TOM, so I am crampy and miserable. I weighed myself . I will eat more this week and then back down after ketosis hits. I will NOT eat half a cup of blue cheese dressing a day, a block of cheese a day, bag of pepperoni a day..ect.
This is where I failed before.

I also think I lose better with more veggie carbs, but don't want to add them until 2 weeks.
Any advice? I am open to everything.

niciK 01-01-2014 03:31 PM

i just changed my stats, I was 282 at my lowest, from 341 . I gained 30 pounds back. :(

trishthedish 01-01-2014 03:40 PM

My advice is to pull your shoulders back, put your chin up, and only look forward! You are here now. Just start with a clean, by the book Induction and take it from there. Your focus for the next two weeks is getting into ketosis. Don't worry about portions right now, just follow Induction by the book!

(By the way, I am walking the walk right with you!):high5:

niciK 01-01-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16737385)
My advice is to pull your shoulders back, put your chin up, and only look forward! You are here now. Just start with a clean, by the book Induction and take it from there. Your focus for the next two weeks is getting into ketosis. Don't worry about portions right now, just follow Induction by the book!

Hi. Thank you. This is what I am going to do. I am focusing on fats and protein and ketosis.
I am also trying to love myself .

MtherGoos 01-01-2014 03:43 PM

Welcome! I would just suggest that you spend the first couple of weeks focusing on eating really cleanly. Don't worry about the calories. Just cut out your carbs, eat real food, and try to start learning to listen to your body. Pay attention to your hunger. Are you REALLY hungry, or mentally hungry? If you're REALLY hungry, then eat. Eat slowly and then stop when you're not hungry any more.

Start there. Try and remember that this isn't a race. You're trying to make lifetime changes. Anything else is setting yourself up for failure. Take it one step at a time.

As you go along, you can make more changes, you can cut your calories, you can make changes to see what works for you, but I would start with trying to do a really clean induction.

trishthedish 01-01-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niciK (Post 16737396)
Hi. Thank you. This is what I am going to do. I am focusing on fats and protein and ketosis.
I am also trying to love myself .

This is mandatory.:hugs: I read a quote to the effect of, "You can't hate your body into health." You take good care of things you love. So you MUST love yourself as you would a beloved child or pet. You deserve that same unconditional love and devotion!!:hugs:

niciK 01-01-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16737397)
Welcome! I would just suggest that you spend the first couple of weeks focusing on eating really cleanly. Don't worry about the calories. Just cut out your carbs, eat real food, and try to start learning to listen to your body. Pay attention to your hunger. Are you REALLY hungry, or mentally hungry? If you're REALLY hungry, then eat. Eat slowly and then stop when you're not hungry any more.

Start there. Try and remember that this isn't a race. You're trying to make lifetime changes. Anything else is setting yourself up for failure. Take it one step at a time.

As you go along, you can make more changes, you can cut your calories, you can make changes to see what works for you, but I would start with trying to do a really clean induction.

TY. Your stats are amazing. LOL I need to not compare myself to anyone here, but great job.

Yes 2 weeks of super clean eating. I will eat cheeses because right now it is better than doughnuts and mssed potatoes and I am very hungry.
The race thing is super important to me. I always did look at it as it needs to be done, asap. I stressed myself out. I am trying to not focus on the outside, but inside this time.

MtherGoos 01-01-2014 03:56 PM

There's nothing wrong with cheese, I eat it every day. It's part of your plan, so don't feel like you're cheating when you eat it. Yes, you shouldn't go over 4 ounces in a day, but right now, I would just focus on keeping the carbs down and if that means you're eating a little more cheese, then I wouldn't worry about it right now.

LolaGetz 01-01-2014 04:06 PM

Reaching out to you, niciK. I so totally understand the issue of trying to cope with overwhelming anxiety. We all do the best we can. MthrGoos gives good advice when she says take it one step at a time. And you are wise when you choose cheese over doughnuts. Such small choices can add up to an enormous change. I myself came to VLC gradually, having to first give up one category of high carb food for medical reasons and then later another for different health reasons. When I finally decided to go VLC a few months ago it was a relatively easy transition since I'd pretty much almost gotten there gradually. So you can do it step by step. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just keep moving along step by step and keep your eyes on your goal. We're all behind you and wishing you happiness and success in 2014.

niciK 01-01-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16737405)
[/B]

This is mandatory.:hugs: I read a quote to the effect of, "You can't hate your body into health." You take good care of things you love. So you MUST love yourself as you would a beloved child or pet. You deserve that same unconditional love and devotion!!:hugs:

TY so much . I am not going to shame myself into anything . Been there , done that. Did not work.

:hugs:

Jaded62 01-01-2014 04:27 PM

Hello,
It sounds like you are me ,LOL. I have done the same thing this year. I did a pre start Monday and went into full induction today. I am determined to lose some major pounds this year. I am sick of being sick and tired. I too have to watch what I eat on low carb. I have a tendency to eat too much protein, dairy and not enough veggies. I did well today. I think you have the right attitude about it all. Good Luck !!!

franciejones 01-01-2014 04:28 PM

Water. Loads
No fake sugar-at all
I know the task seems insurmountable..but you can do it as you have before.
Do a journal--I have been doing one this time round. I record observations about hunger, mood.
Also..stop eating when you are no longer hungry. I eat out of boredom all the time..and it ruined me every attempt.
Even if you eat every darn hour. Stop when you are no longer hungry. Do what ever it takes. Brush your teeth, walk in circles...find a way to distract yourself from eating out of boredom or emotion. It will become a habit if you are determined to make it one. I feel your pain.

Hot Tamale 01-01-2014 05:07 PM

I'm rooting for you! New year, new start... Just work on doing a great job with it today. Then tomorrow...you get it. One day at a time. :)

GoBahnsen 01-01-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16737385)

:hiya: i agree with trish and Mthergoos.

We're rootin for ya! :clap:

halos 01-01-2014 06:06 PM

Like you, I tend to eat too much, even of the legal foods. This time around I am eating slowly. I fix a salad, just greens and add 4-5 oz of meat cut up into little pieces and dressing. Then I sit down at the computer and start a game of solitaire. one bite then several turns of the cards. I can make a meal last 45 minutes.

I used to eat a full meal in 10 minutes flat and still be hungry. Now my body has a chance to register that it is being fed before I finish. It has helped me cut down on how much I am eating. Hope this might help you too.

jesse2012 01-01-2014 06:21 PM

New Year and New Start

Quote:

Originally Posted by niciK (Post 16737443)
TY so much . I am not going to shame myself into anything . Been there , done that. Did not work.

:hugs:

This is so true and it's very helpful to be reminded of it! We have to take care of ourselves out of love, not shame or self-hatred.

Starting fresh for the New Year and hoping to be able to lose enough weight (at least 70 lbs) to stop my insulin medication, for diabetes, since the insulin is making me gain weight.

baseballmom 01-02-2014 04:50 PM

You do it!!! And you have definitely come to the right place for support:console:

KalamityKaTT 01-16-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niciK (Post 16737370)
i just changed my stats, I was 282 at my lowest, from 341 . I gained 30 pounds back. :(

NiciK, I didn't have time to read this thread completely, but I will. Know that I am in the same boat weight wise. It would be nice to have a buddy who is comparable because in the past it has helped push me. Let me know if your insterested. A tad bit about me right quick, My highest was 365. In 6 ish months I was able to get down to 275 ish. That has been my lowest weight since I got that high. That was about 2 years ago. Life happened. With the loss of a best friend to Cancer, husband had several heart attacks and a stroke after that... Honestly I just gave up. I went into a depression that included feeding my feelings. On the 1st of the year I restarted. Sadly I've been in ketosis for quite a while now and only seen a 3ish lb weight loss. That NEVER happens so I'm gearing up to tighten the belt, bring out the scales.. etc. I'm NOT going to quit, I'm just going to refocus and look for errors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded62 (Post 16737472)
Hello,
It sounds like you are me ,LOL. I have done the same thing this year. I did a pre start Monday and went into full induction today. I am determined to lose some major pounds this year. I am sick of being sick and tired. I too have to watch what I eat on low carb. I have a tendency to eat too much protein, dairy and not enough veggies. I did well today. I think you have the right attitude about it all. Good Luck !!!

OMG!! Jaded!!!!! <faints> Ok Ok, I've recovered now... I had hoped to find some old buddies, but really didn't expect to. I think I've seen 50x60 too.. wouldn't it be great if we found a few more? and if you have... OMG!

emily1 01-16-2014 08:51 PM

Hello, and congrats for starting up again! Anxiety is such a tough thing to deal with, not to mention a lot of anti-anxiety medications cause weight gain. Sometimes it feels like it's a choice between medications or being anxious and losing weight too! The great thing about weight loss is we gain confidence in ourselves, not just because of looks but what we have achieved and that alone helps with anxiety.
It is very possible to gain weight on a low-carb if you eat too much and it is great that you recognize that even low-carb has a caloric boundary. From my own experience I think about not just eating for the sake of feeling full but also trying to eat reasonably healthy ( ex not eating 10 pieces of bacon) but you know, really whatever can get you through the first 1-5 days of not eating sugar etc is fine. Try to keep things in moderation as much as you can but if you are finding it really hard for the first bit you should keep your fat intake up and then once all the sugar cravings etc have subsided you will have a lot more control of how you are eating

BubblyRen 01-17-2014 05:33 AM

Can I just say I don't think you should be too hard on yourself? :) I also have severe anxiety disorder, and I also spent most of my life medicating myself with food. I'm a binge eater too, and that coupled with anxiety is seriously one crazy hard obstacle to overcome!! I think you should be proud of where you are now-- taking control and making this choice. I've been trying to do other activities when I feel like binging: playing piano, drawing, reading, and if it's really bad, getting the heck outta the house! Sometimes just taking myself out of the situation makes all the difference in the world. I'm new at this too, so I'm no expert, but so far I've found the best way for me to avoid overeating is to prepare my meals ahead of time. If I get hungry in between, I wait about 5-10 minutes before getting a snack. I ask myself, am I really hungry? Sometimes I am, but most of the time the feeling passes.

Anyway, welcome! Hope to hear more from you in the future! :)

KalamityKaTT 01-19-2014 08:01 PM

Finally caught up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niciK (Post 16737355)
Hi everyone. Long read ahead. TIA
I am back on Keto/ Atkins/VLC.
I lost 50 pounds in 2012 and start of 2013. After last summer , I lost and gained the same 10 pounds 20 times, then gained 25 more sadly. 2013 has not been the best year for me. I did weight watchers with some success, then I got crazy with food. I started to live to eat again. This is a very scary place and depression and anxiety came back.

I lowered my anti anxiety medication and food took it's place. All I wanted to do was hide and eat and stay inside.
I decided to do keto again to regain some control over my insane cravings. I was craving carbs and sugars and full fat like crazy. The combo of all 3 is deadly to me. Nothing was motivating me to stay on my plan of low calorie. So I gave in to the cravings and ate and ate. These foods medicated me, my serotonin was so low and they temp picked it back up. I am back on a higher dose of medication, so that is helping .

I decided to do a keto diet to shed some quick weight, get cravings under control and hope it helps my moods as well.

I did well last time, but I know I over did fat and portions and that is why I did not lose. I really over ate and my calories were way too high to lose. I blamed the plan and not me. I wanted to still gorge and thought I would lose.
I know the meaning of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect different results, so I need some advice to not fallow same patterns and before.

I started today 1/1/2014. I am about to get TOM, so I am crampy and miserable. I weighed myself . I will eat more this week and then back down after ketosis hits. I will NOT eat half a cup of blue cheese dressing a day, a block of cheese a day, bag of pepperoni a day..ect.
This is where I failed before.

I also think I lose better with more veggie carbs, but don't want to add them until 2 weeks.
Any advice? I am open to everything.

I finally caught up on reading this thread. We have a lot of similarities. I too suffer from a panic disorder and depression. Most of my life I felt damaged because of it. I was able to over come my depression by pulling myself up by the boot straps and having a firm talk with myself. My childhood gave me no choices. I merely did what I could to survive. I made a choice to let all that go and forgive myself for any guilt I had. By then I had 3 children and telling myself that letting my past creep into their future wasn't fair to them. It wasn't easy, and it doesn't work for everyone. I know some people go though years of therapy and still struggle, my very own sister being one of them. I thought I has smooth sailing after that. Come to find out, while my depression was gone, my anxiety would rear its ugly head when I least expected it. I could be feeling perfectly fine and instantly go into a panic. For instance: I was sitting in the waiting room at the dentist office and my 3 sons were in having cleanings. Next then I know I realize I'm driving away. My fight or flight kicked in and I never even realized it till I was a block away. Each time I went on medication I told myself it was temporary. That I would get better and not need meds like my sister and mother do. I got to where I was going 3 to 5 years without having an attack. But ultimately they always came back and generally lasted for weeks. They always brought agoraphobia with them. I learned what my triggers where and was really great about avoiding them but sometimes it's unavoidable. I finally admitted to myself that anxiety medication is always going to be a part of my life. I am lacking in some certain chemical and that's not my fault. It doesn't mean I'm damaged. In fact, just the opposite is true. I'm strong enough to realize somethings I don't have control over. I've been symptom free now for almost 8 years. There are times when I think of not taking my medication but then I recall that gut wrenching, intensive sweating, heart beating out of my chest, impending doom flight mode I go into and my single daily pill doesn't sound all that bad after all.

So, before I digress any more, please cut yourself so slack. Our required medication does not define who we are. We do. And our choices do. You're obviously on the right track. Just put one foot in front of the other and before you know it you will achieve what you want to. And were always here to help. :console:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblyRen (Post 16760758)
Can I just say I don't think you should be too hard on yourself? :) I also have severe anxiety disorder, and I also spent most of my life medicating myself with food. I'm a binge eater too, and that coupled with anxiety is seriously one crazy hard obstacle to overcome!! I think you should be proud of where you are now-- taking control and making this choice. I've been trying to do other activities when I feel like binging: playing piano, drawing, reading, and if it's really bad, getting the heck outta the house! Sometimes just taking myself out of the situation makes all the difference in the world. I'm new at this too, so I'm no expert, but so far I've found the best way for me to avoid overeating is to prepare my meals ahead of time. If I get hungry in between, I wait about 5-10 minutes before getting a snack. I ask myself, am I really hungry? Sometimes I am, but most of the time the feeling passes.

Anyway, welcome! Hope to hear more from you in the future! :)

After reading this thread, I am reminded that my medication could be part of the reason I'm struggling to lose this time. I'm doing all of the same things as I did 3 years ago with a lot less results. This thread has been so helpful to remind me of what's important and to always be honest with myself. I'm older now, and I'm taking a daily anxiety pill that could hinder or slow my progress so as long as I'm not gaining, even if its only a lb or half a lb lost a week, its a step in the right direction.

Sirtain 01-20-2014 12:56 PM

I love giving advice!

Have you looked at the JUDDD group on the forum? I have been low-carb primal for several years, but always with the same problem: having slips, and then struggling to get back on plan. JUDDD has completely turned that around for me. It is worth a look.

KalamityKaTT 01-20-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16765621)
I love giving advice!

Have you looked at the JUDDD group on the forum? I have been low-carb primal for several years, but always with the same problem: having slips, and then struggling to get back on plan. JUDDD has completely turned that around for me. It is worth a look.

I've never heard of it. I'll have to take a look myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

niciK 01-21-2014 10:39 PM

Hi! I would love to be buddies. Please pm me.
I am doing well.
Went out last night and drank, so had carbs in booze. :)

Jennyl 01-23-2014 12:14 AM

I can totally relate. I find the first few days the hardest. I tend to not limit things too much the first couple of weeks. Once I get into a groove, then I try to really limit the snacking. I tend to just snack way too much, so eating proper meals instead of snacks helps me. I know how hard it is though, I struggle also.